yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Phone call to surrogate daughter, whose heart is being slowly broken; offer sympathy and advice; suppress urge to bitchslap the proximate cause *and* her, for letting it happen in the first place, but who am I to cast stones? the heart wants what it wants
    Lesson, in which Teach and I discuss some Stuff, which rocks his world, but things are better afterwards; more clarity about goals for both of us, more understanding of where we come from and where we want to go
    Search for chamomile flowers, not chamomile tea bags; fruitless
    Home, quick lunch
    Theater; a good one, by way of a change
    Home, Z
    samina likes this.
  2. raindance

raindance Well-Known Member

Minor hijack - what kind of chamomile flowers are you looking for? I have seen whole (small) dried flowers in some specialty tea bags, for example:
    So if you only needed a few, the tea bags might do the trick after all.

If you need more, their "loose" chamomile tea looks to be just dried chamomile flowers (I haven't tried it):
    j_alexandra likes this.
  3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Checking in, in case anybody's been hearing me whine and actually cares about this. Just back from getting x-rays. Yes. DS has pneumonia and sinusitis. (I guess the bronchitis cleared up?) He's also had three doctor visits, three antibiotic prescriptions, one antibiotic shot, chest x-rays plus a few OTC meds in the last week. Total cost out of pocket for me? $87. His Dad has AWESOME health insurance. DS is very lucky.
    fascination and j_alexandra like this.
  4. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about the pneumonia and sinusitis. Glad to hear about the good health insurance. I am guessing that if we didn't have health insurance, last Tuesday would be the single most expensive day my husband and I have ever had, up to and including:
    -our wedding in 1990,
    -our 20th anniversary vacation to Atlantis-Bahamas, staying in The Cove (upscale part of the property) and including a dance competition.

The last time I was hospitalized for a loss of consciousness (December 2010), the hospital billed $6753, and BC/BS decided they would like to change that number to $1428.75. My co-pay was only $35. Wow!

There was another bill for the ambulance that was originally charged out at something like $650, and at first I thought I was getting stuck with the whole bill. Then I learned that the ambulance is a separate company and had never seen my insurance card at all, what with my not being able to whip it out while strapped to a gurney. I think I wound up having to pay around $125 for the ambulance.

Without health insurance, that day would have cost me over $ I can only imagine what my husband's surgery + my ER visit would cost if we were paying out of pocket.
  5. pygmalion

Yes. Without insurance, DS's "cold" would have cost in the neighborhood of $1200, so far. The funny thing is that the most expensive line item was the OTC medicine. Who knew cough syrup cost so much?
  6. pygmalion

I should add that it would have cost *somebody* considerably more, if I'd had to take DS to the ER last night. (It came close, but I really didn't want DS in an ER in the middle of the night unless it was unavoidable.)
  7. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

I needed loose chamomile, but I needed it on-the-spot; I will recommend your links, though, to teh friend who asked for it. Thanks!
  8. chachachacat

chachachacat Well-Known Member

P- I hope your DS gets better now that he's been properly diagnosed.
  9. pygmalion

Thanks. He's already enough better to be really annoying. *grin*

I'm thinking it's the shot in the butt. (He would be so mad if he knew I posted that, but I claim Mom privileges. lol) It's so funny. DS sent a text to his best friend last night, to get school assignments, etc. His friend told DS not to worry about pneumonia, because "All you need is a couple shots in the a$$ and you'll be fine." So what did DS get when he went to the doctor today? A shot in the butt. I could not possibly have laughed harder. It was classic. DS will never live it down, even long after he's able to SIT down. What a hoot! :D
    ChaChaMama likes this.
  10. ChaChaMama

News flash: I just found out that we do not have a blu ray player! So I revise my earlier statement. The technological expertise in the house goes:
    #1--Husband, #2--The 10-year-old, #3--The cleverer of our two cats, #4--The dimmer of our two cats (or rather, the one who focuses 90% of his brain energy on trying to fool me into feeding him twice), #5--Me. I still, however, would like to think that I outrank #6--The dog, as I do not bark hysterically as if the remote control might be a taser anytime someone goes to turn on the television.
  11. ChaChaMama

The AM featured an undignified argument between me and Child about a pair of shoes she has lost and done an inadequate job looking for that did not showcase either of us at our finest. (Child claimed very insistently that she had not moved them from the shoe place by the front door, that someone else must have done so or they must have been stolen. Yes, Child, that's a plausible theory. There are computers and tvs and I-Phones and jewelry and credit cards in the house, but someone stole a pair of children's size 4 shoes. I lost my temper.) (But I also found the dang shoes.)
    Stop at gas station on way to school.

9-11--Office hours. Fairly peaceful. A couple late papers came in. I also confirmed my suspicion that a relative of one of my students just gave a substantial gift to the college for library renovations. File that piece of info.

11:25--Faculty meeting. Start to feel unwell just as it is getting started, and then start to think how horrible it will be if I pass out in front of everyone, which probably does NOT make things better...because I do think there's a psychological element to this. Scurry off to find another pack of peanut M&Ms. Continue to feel pretty blech for awhile...but manage to make it through the meeting and feel somewhat better by the end. I even ask a question during the Q+A on copyright as it pertains to higher education.

1--Back in office, feeling better.

1:30--Grocery store. We were down to 1/8" of milk and it is supposed to snow on Wednesday, so the grocery store will be a madhouse by 5 PM.

Unload groceries, sit for a few minutes, go get Child from school.

4--Get Child ready for dance.

E-mail comes through: no school tomorrow. I have to admit, I'm happy. I think I need another day of rest.

4:35--Take Child to dance.
    5:15ish--Take Self to Panera. Have dinner. Recharge my dead cellphone and, apparently, myself. :) Feel good for the first time since before the faculty meeting.

Read Will Smith's Umbrella and wrote in diary.

Child to bed.

11--Me to bed.
  12. pygmalion

I have SO many things I'd love to say, but I am too tired. Up most of the night, the last couple of nights, watching DS to make sure he didn't stop breathing or start convulsing or all the other horrible things that parents imagine will go bump in the night.

I promise a nice, juicy check-in soon.

I will say, for now, that today, I thought about Mr 4Styles. The doctor's office I took DS to usually has a minimum of three doctors on staff. Today, there was only one. I didn't ask why.

What I did see was that poor man take excellent care of DS and countless other patients, in the two hours or so that we were there. When we left, his day was only beginning. This made me remember the time, recently, when Mr 4 Styles mentioned seeing 40 patients in one day.

All I can say to that, Mr 4S, is thank you on the behalf of DS and all 40 of your patients that day. What you do is appreciated, by me at least. :)
  13. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

re: good insurance.... such a huge difference...when we had our first baby in the NICU, I had an HMO... thk GOD....didn't cost us a cent except for her funeral(which was a nightmare sufficient unto itself)...when we had our other kids, we had a deal where we had to pay 30%...took us three years to own our daughter free and clear :)

we have better insurance now but no dental ...and I am the only one with good is unspeakable what we have paid out of pocket

as to my week...tues; more lessons, drive to gym in snow storm, teach spin, drive home in snow storm....drink wine and go to bed
    wed...wake at 4 am with itching swollen bites around my ankles bicept and hand...bed bugs prefer upper body right ? right ? right? and that bug at the hotel wasn't a bed bug right?...too small right?....take benedryl, thoroughly inspect bed at home...find clue...but up now....teach 8 and 9, home to lunch...pack, drive to Lincoln Nebraska fielding calls which include that bosses brother just died... next week will be anniversary of bosses' sons' death and her birthday...lovely...and I am gone...lovely...also hear that father has forgotten dtr's birthday again...this never happened before...but before is dead...arrive in Lincoln and discover that I have swollen to an alarming degree...whatever has bitten me is something that is toxic to me...not huge surprise since I am allergic to ticks...take two claritin because that is all I have...shower, drink wine and take low dose aspirin, hope that I am not going to do anaphalaxsis, however you spell it
  14. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member much swelling are we talking about? Is getting it looked at it in an ER a good idea? Just googled and there are several hospitals in Lincoln, NE.

While I definitely get that you are on a mission to see adorable grandbaby asap, sometimes your body is trying to tell you I learned the hard way last week.
  15. pygmalion

Oh f. I'm sorry about ... everything. Such bad timing.

Your boss/friend is in my thoughts and prayers.

If it does get to the the point where your swelling necessitates** medical attention, an urgent care facility might be another option. The upside is that they tend to have extended hours, are often open seven days a week, can usually handle minor emergencies, take walk-ins, can prescribe meds (If you need an epi pen, for example, I'm sure they can prescribe you one.) and tend to be much less expensive than an ER. (Aside: With my insurance, an ER visit that's later deemed unnecessary earns you a nice, fat surcharge.)

The down side is that urgent care places have limited equipment on site, so they may not be able to address certain issues. In their defense, though, they know their limitations and will refer you out to an ER if it's deemed necessary. Learned that the hard way this week.

Bug venom is no joke, though, as I'm sure you know. I could tell scary stories but won't. For most of my adult life, I've lived in the part of the country with truly frightening indigenous insects and I have heard (not experienced, thank God) some horror stories. If you don't see improvement, please get checked. I'll leave it at that. *sigh*

** Necessitate is another one of those words I'm never sure I've spelled correctly :D
  16. pygmalion

Oh! How funny. Don't feel bad, though. It's only a matter of time before #2 -- The 10 year old surpasses #1 -- The Husband. Very little time, at that, if my experience with Techno Geek Boy is anything to judge by. Kids these days breathe technology in and eat it with their breakfast cereal.

Just FTR: I'm coming in at #5 in this household, and there are only two of us. Nice thing? DS doesn't ask me to assemble stuff for him anymore. He knows I have challenges. Which reminds me of a classic Christmas moment when DS was ... six? I bought DS a giant Star Wars Lego set of some sort. After making "magic" happen, I was pooped, so I told DS, "Get your Dad to help you put it together while I finish making dinner." ** "But Mom. He's just a chemist. You're an engineer. I need you." Oh! What a hoot, lo these many years later. Not so funny at the time, though. Kids. They make you smile. :) ETA: Oh, how his confidence in me has diminished. Last Christmas, it was, "Uhh. Mom. Seriously?!? Just let me do it."

Whatev. Kids. They make you fantasize about strangling them. Just kidding.

My guess: You've been watching James Bond on streaming video via Amazon prime. :cool:

** Incidentally. the Ex is one of the smartest people I know but couldn't put a Lego set together if his life depended on it. DS was right. Chemist and engineer -- two different skill sets.
  17. pygmalion

I forgot.

@ccm re: undignified argument over shoes.

Oh my goodness. I have been in that or a similar situation more times than I can count. Oh. My. Goodness.

When I was pregnant with DS, my guy friend P, whose son graduated with some sort of honors from the Naval Academy several years ago, (Yikes. time flies!!) gave me two most excellent pieces of parenting advice.

P talking:

"1) Allow enough time. Rushing around in the morning stresses everybody out. So many problems solve themselves if you have enough time. Get up a few minutes earlier and save yourself the stress.

2) Buy duplicates. "

P is a great Dad. I cannot tell you how many times the fact that DS has had an extra pair of glasses in his desk at school/ an extra pair of gym shorts in the drawer/another pair of Vans in his locker has saved me from being forced to KILL him in the morning when we were getting ready for work and school.

P knew a thing or two. Of course, he had a ten or eleven year head start on me, parenting-wise.
  18. pygmalion

The last few days in short: Medicate, monitor and annoy sick child. Yay. He's mostly better, btw. Sleeping too much, still, but his appetite is back as is his acerbic wit. Yep. He's fine. Kids really are resilient. Just for the record, in many ways, I am enjoying seeing him on the mend. The sarcasm he can keep.

@fasc. I hope you're feeling better enough to log those miles and get to see the world's most adorable baby. :)

@ccm. I hope you're getting your energy back and that ccpapa is on the mend.

@sami. Ditto. Hope you're better.

Who else is sick, here? I know I'm missing somebody. I hope everybody is well and soon. :)

Yikes. This thread, lately, is reminding me of the time I went on a certain cruise line and complained to one of the wait staff about how many "old people" were on board. (Bear in mind that I was 24? at the time, so my perspective may have been a tad different then than it is now.) Anyway, he said to me, "If you think it's bad now, you should have been here last week. It was like an 'ospital!"

On a totally different note, caught this commercial and thought of ccm's classes. Can't tell whether I'd give the commercial a thumbs up or if I think it's trying too hard, but I am leaning toward thinking it's trying too hard. Attempting to challenge stereotypes is one thing. Trying to challenge three or four of them in one 30-second commercial looks to me like maybe you just took your first sensitivity training class and you are overreacting. Just sayin. We've all done that, but hey. Let the pendulum swing back closer to reality, please.

19. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

drive from Lincoln Nebraska to
    Rock Springs WY...only things of note are a terrible crash which stops traffic for an hour, and a speeding ticket..
    find an authentic mex place, apply tequila and mole, sleep like a baby...still itchy but think I have turned the corner on something severe
    j_alexandra likes this.
  20. ChaChaMama

Snow day!!! No work!!!

Try to make vegetarian 3-bean chili. Where is my can of diced tomatoes? Fail.

Do succeed in finishing reading Cornelia Funke's Reckless with Child.

Also take photos of her romping in snow with dog.

Take Child to school on my sleep-in day, as Husband is not up to it. He is actually feeling pretty rocky today.

9:50--Doctor. As I predicted, she is ordering blood work.
    She thinks it is probably just vasovagal syncope, but wants to check.
    Also thinks that I miiiight have low iron, which I did have one time last year.

I actually feel like I may have turned the corner, finally? I want to be cautious in saying this, because obviously a snow day and a non-teaching day are quite a bit easier than a real work day...but I do manage to get through this day without a nap!

Grocery store to pick up can of diced tomatoes.
    Home and start making recipe. WHAT?! It calls for two cans of diced tomatoes??? I can't go back to the store. That would make three times in three days. I decide the recipe will be fine with one can of tomatoes.

Grade 6 papers. One of them has a lot of non-standard English, including a double negative, an "If I was," using "being" instead of "is" or "are," etc.

I try to address some more content-based elements as well, as the conventional wisdom for composition instructors is that you need to work on both, but my priority really is grammar. I think the #1 thing that is going to hold this student back in the professional workplace is non-standard English.

Peaches, Pygmalion, Cornutt: I'd be interested in getting your perspective. How important is being able to write grammatically in your workplace?

I'm talking about writing sentences like this:

"Being that you are going there anyway."
    "I don't think there is no parent who would do that."
    "If they was to make that law, no one would respect it."

(N.B. These are not the actual sentences from the student essay, as I would not put her work on the internet without her permission, but they are similar.)