yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

TUESDAY:
    The AM featured an undignified argument between me and Child about a pair of shoes she has lost and done an inadequate job looking for that did not showcase either of us at our finest. (Child claimed very insistently that she had not moved them from the shoe place by the front door, that someone else must have done so or they must have been stolen. Yes, Child, that's a plausible theory. There are computers and tvs and I-Phones and jewelry and credit cards in the house, but someone stole a pair of children's size 4 shoes. I lost my temper.) (But I also found the dang shoes.)
    Stop at gas station on way to school.

9-11--Office hours. Fairly peaceful. A couple late papers came in. I also confirmed my suspicion that a relative of one of my students just gave a substantial gift to the college for library renovations. File that piece of info.

11:25--Faculty meeting. Start to feel unwell just as it is getting started, and then start to think how horrible it will be if I pass out in front of everyone, which probably does NOT make things better...because I do think there's a psychological element to this. Scurry off to find another pack of peanut M&Ms. Continue to feel pretty blech for awhile...but manage to make it through the meeting and feel somewhat better by the end. I even ask a question during the Q+A on copyright as it pertains to higher education.

1--Back in office, feeling better.

1:30--Grocery store. We were down to 1/8" of milk and it is supposed to snow on Wednesday, so the grocery store will be a madhouse by 5 PM.

Unload groceries, sit for a few minutes, go get Child from school.

3:15--Nap!

4--Get Child ready for dance.

E-mail comes through: no school tomorrow. I have to admit, I'm happy. I think I need another day of rest.

4:35--Take Child to dance.
    5:15ish--Take Self to Panera. Have dinner. Recharge my dead cellphone and, apparently, myself. :) Feel good for the first time since before the faculty meeting.

Read Will Smith's Umbrella and wrote in diary.

9--Home.

Child to bed.

11--Me to bed.

2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I have SO many things I'd love to say, but I am too tired. Up most of the night, the last couple of nights, watching DS to make sure he didn't stop breathing or start convulsing or all the other horrible things that parents imagine will go bump in the night.

I promise a nice, juicy check-in soon.

I will say, for now, that today, I thought about Mr 4Styles. The doctor's office I took DS to usually has a minimum of three doctors on staff. Today, there was only one. I didn't ask why.

What I did see was that poor man take excellent care of DS and countless other patients, in the two hours or so that we were there. When we left, his day was only beginning. This made me remember the time, recently, when Mr 4 Styles mentioned seeing 40 patients in one day.

All I can say to that, Mr 4S, is thank you on the behalf of DS and all 40 of your patients that day. What you do is appreciated, by me at least. :)

3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

re: good insurance.... such a huge difference...when we had our first baby in the NICU, I had an HMO... thk GOD....didn't cost us a cent except for her funeral(which was a nightmare sufficient unto itself)...when we had our other kids, we had a deal where we had to pay 30%...took us three years to own our daughter free and clear :)

we have better insurance now but no dental ...and I am the only one with good teeth...it is unspeakable what we have paid out of pocket

as to my week...tues; more lessons, drive to gym in snow storm, teach spin, drive home in snow storm....drink wine and go to bed
    wed...wake at 4 am with itching swollen bites around my ankles bicept and hand...bed bugs prefer upper body right ? right ? right? and that bug at the hotel wasn't a bed bug right?...too small right?....take benedryl, thoroughly inspect bed at home...find nothing...no clue...but up now....teach 8 and 9, home to lunch...pack, drive to Lincoln Nebraska fielding calls which include that bosses brother just died... next week will be anniversary of bosses' sons' death and her birthday...lovely...and I am gone...lovely...also hear that father has forgotten dtr's birthday again...this never happened before...but before is dead...arrive in Lincoln and discover that I have swollen to an alarming degree...whatever has bitten me is something that is toxic to me...not huge surprise since I am allergic to ticks...take two claritin because that is all I have...shower, drink wine and take low dose aspirin, hope that I am not going to do anaphalaxsis, however you spell it

4. ChaChaMama

Um...how much swelling are we talking about? Is getting it looked at it in an ER a good idea? Just googled and there are several hospitals in Lincoln, NE.

While I definitely get that you are on a mission to see adorable grandbaby asap, sometimes your body is trying to tell you something...as I learned the hard way last week.

5. pygmalion

Oh f. I'm sorry about ... everything. Such bad timing.

Your boss/friend is in my thoughts and prayers.

If it does get to the the point where your swelling necessitates** medical attention, an urgent care facility might be another option. The upside is that they tend to have extended hours, are often open seven days a week, can usually handle minor emergencies, take walk-ins, can prescribe meds (If you need an epi pen, for example, I'm sure they can prescribe you one.) and tend to be much less expensive than an ER. (Aside: With my insurance, an ER visit that's later deemed unnecessary earns you a nice, fat surcharge.)

The down side is that urgent care places have limited equipment on site, so they may not be able to address certain issues. In their defense, though, they know their limitations and will refer you out to an ER if it's deemed necessary. Learned that the hard way this week.

Bug venom is no joke, though, as I'm sure you know. I could tell scary stories but won't. For most of my adult life, I've lived in the part of the country with truly frightening indigenous insects and I have heard (not experienced, thank God) some horror stories. If you don't see improvement, please get checked. I'll leave it at that. *sigh*

** Necessitate is another one of those words I'm never sure I've spelled correctly :D

6. pygmalion

Oh! How funny. Don't feel bad, though. It's only a matter of time before #2 -- The 10 year old surpasses #1 -- The Husband. Very little time, at that, if my experience with Techno Geek Boy is anything to judge by. Kids these days breathe technology in and eat it with their breakfast cereal.

Just FTR: I'm coming in at #5 in this household, and there are only two of us. Nice thing? DS doesn't ask me to assemble stuff for him anymore. He knows I have challenges. Which reminds me of a classic Christmas moment when DS was ... six? I bought DS a giant Star Wars Lego set of some sort. After making "magic" happen, I was pooped, so I told DS, "Get your Dad to help you put it together while I finish making dinner." ** "But Mom. He's just a chemist. You're an engineer. I need you." Oh! What a hoot, lo these many years later. Not so funny at the time, though. Kids. They make you smile. :) ETA: Oh, how his confidence in me has diminished. Last Christmas, it was, "Uhh. Mom. Seriously?!? Just let me do it."

Whatev. Kids. They make you fantasize about strangling them. Just kidding.

My guess: You've been watching James Bond on streaming video via Amazon prime. :cool:

** Incidentally. the Ex is one of the smartest people I know but couldn't put a Lego set together if his life depended on it. DS was right. Chemist and engineer -- two different skill sets.

7. pygmalion

I forgot.

@ccm re: undignified argument over shoes.

Oh my goodness. I have been in that or a similar situation more times than I can count. Oh. My. Goodness.

When I was pregnant with DS, my guy friend P, whose son graduated with some sort of honors from the Naval Academy several years ago, (Yikes. time flies!!) gave me two most excellent pieces of parenting advice.

P talking:

"1) Allow enough time. Rushing around in the morning stresses everybody out. So many problems solve themselves if you have enough time. Get up a few minutes earlier and save yourself the stress.

2) Buy duplicates. "

P is a great Dad. I cannot tell you how many times the fact that DS has had an extra pair of glasses in his desk at school/ an extra pair of gym shorts in the drawer/another pair of Vans in his locker has saved me from being forced to KILL him in the morning when we were getting ready for work and school.

P knew a thing or two. Of course, he had a ten or eleven year head start on me, parenting-wise.

8. pygmalion

The last few days in short: Medicate, monitor and annoy sick child. Yay. He's mostly better, btw. Sleeping too much, still, but his appetite is back as is his acerbic wit. Yep. He's fine. Kids really are resilient. Just for the record, in many ways, I am enjoying seeing him on the mend. The sarcasm he can keep.

@fasc. I hope you're feeling better enough to log those miles and get to see the world's most adorable baby. :)

@ccm. I hope you're getting your energy back and that ccpapa is on the mend.

@sami. Ditto. Hope you're better.

Who else is sick, here? I know I'm missing somebody. I hope everybody is well and soon. :)

Yikes. This thread, lately, is reminding me of the time I went on a certain cruise line and complained to one of the wait staff about how many "old people" were on board. (Bear in mind that I was 24? at the time, so my perspective may have been a tad different then than it is now.) Anyway, he said to me, "If you think it's bad now, you should have been here last week. It was like an 'ospital!"

On a totally different note, caught this commercial and thought of ccm's classes. Can't tell whether I'd give the commercial a thumbs up or if I think it's trying too hard, but I am leaning toward thinking it's trying too hard. Attempting to challenge stereotypes is one thing. Trying to challenge three or four of them in one 30-second commercial looks to me like maybe you just took your first sensitivity training class and you are overreacting. Just sayin. We've all done that, but hey. Let the pendulum swing back closer to reality, please.

9. fascination

drive from Lincoln Nebraska to
    Rock Springs WY...only things of note are a terrible crash which stops traffic for an hour, and a speeding ticket..
    find an authentic mex place, apply tequila and mole, sleep like a baby...still itchy but think I have turned the corner on something severe

j_alexandra likes this.
  10. ChaChaMama

WEDNESDAY:
    Snow day!!! No work!!!

Try to make vegetarian 3-bean chili. Where is my can of diced tomatoes? Fail.

Do succeed in finishing reading Cornelia Funke's Reckless with Child.

Also take photos of her romping in snow with dog.

THURSDAY:
    Take Child to school on my sleep-in day, as Husband is not up to it. He is actually feeling pretty rocky today.

9:50--Doctor. As I predicted, she is ordering blood work.
    She thinks it is probably just vasovagal syncope, but wants to check.
    Also thinks that I miiiight have low iron, which I did have one time last year.

I actually feel like I may have turned the corner, finally? I want to be cautious in saying this, because obviously a snow day and a non-teaching day are quite a bit easier than a real work day...but I do manage to get through this day without a nap!

Grocery store to pick up can of diced tomatoes.
    Home and start making recipe. WHAT?! It calls for two cans of diced tomatoes??? I can't go back to the store. That would make three times in three days. I decide the recipe will be fine with one can of tomatoes.

Grade 6 papers. One of them has a lot of non-standard English, including a double negative, an "If I was," using "being" instead of "is" or "are," etc.

I try to address some more content-based elements as well, as the conventional wisdom for composition instructors is that you need to work on both, but my priority really is grammar. I think the #1 thing that is going to hold this student back in the professional workplace is non-standard English.

Peaches, Pygmalion, Cornutt: I'd be interested in getting your perspective. How important is being able to write grammatically in your workplace?

I'm talking about writing sentences like this:

"Being that you are going there anyway."
    "I don't think there is no parent who would do that."
    "If they was to make that law, no one would respect it."

(N.B. These are not the actual sentences from the student essay, as I would not put her work on the internet without her permission, but they are similar.)

11. pygmalion

Being able to write well has been incredibly important throughout my career. Note: Choosing to write with poor grammar for the sake of style is a different ball of wax. I do this in DF, in emails, etc. When I write with poor grammar, it's usually a conscious choice. (When I spell poorly, well ... that's different. lol)

In the sixteen years that I did engineering and design, ones career hinged on being able to write up results, patent proposals, etc. Excellent public speaking skills were also necessary. As a bonus, I was also able to use both to create a lot of visibility for myself around my avocation -- diversity activism, at work and in the community. I also edited all of the ex's technical papers at work and in academia. Later, I edited his white papers and grant proposals, when he started his own high tech firm. I used to tease him that he'd never have started dating me if I couldn't find and correct his grammar errors. (Maybe this was true; I taught him to write then he divorced me. *grin*)

I now work in public relations. Writing well is integral to every single day. I find it ironic that, many moons ago, I changed my major from from English to engineering, because I thought I'd never be able to make a living by writing. Uhh. In my world, everybody makes a living by writing.

I'll add a quasi-personal anecdote. A close GF graduated with a fairly high GPA from a good university. The problem was that she spoke and wrote with a lot of non-standard English. When she presented her very first paper in her first class at graduate school, her professor told her, in front of the rest of the class, that she was, "not graduate school material." Brutal. One could argue that his comments were not true, condescending, prejudiced, etc, but, had my friend demonstrated a good grasp of standard English usage, she never would have had that humiliating experience.

I think your student needs help. *sigh*

12. pygmalion

And just FTR *donning food hoarder hat* I have at least twelve cans of diced tomatoes, as we speak. I never, ever buy them at full price. I wait for a sale, then buy enough to last me through a nuclear winter. :D Just sayin. Yes. I admit I have issues, but I'm just sayin.

13. pygmalion

Back to grammar for a minute. Have you ever watched Obama speak at a Black church? It's really funny. He's not the world's best at code switching, but code switching he does. Gotta give the man props. There are ain'ts and gonnas popping out all over the place. He knows his audience and knows better than to sound stuffy. This is also a man who held his own and won the honor of editing the Harvard Law Review.

(Let us please not turn this into a political discussion. Bush, Clinton, the other Bush, Carter, Ford, LBJ, all did code switching, as well, IMV. Not so sure about Nixon, but that's another story.)

Good grammar is a tool, unless you don't know how to use it. If you don't know how to use it, it's a hammer that bops you upside the head. *grin*

14. pygmalion

Thank God. If you had what I was fearing you might have, you'd be hospitalized and possibly under the knife by now. One of my sisters (who lived in south Central Texas at the time) had a big chunk of her thigh removed after she was bitten by a brown reclusive spider. As far as I know, there's no anti-venom for its bite. It's just a matter of catching the problem early and excising the wound before the tissue around it starts to die.

A GF back in Florida ended up on disability for six weeks with the same thing -- brown reclusive spider bite, which she ignored for a couple days. She finally called 911 when she woke up to find her entire lower leg was black. ( I don't mean African-American cafe au lait colored. I mean charcoal black.) ETA: I don't know what they did for her. I do know that she was hospitalized for a while and that, ultimately, she did not lose the leg, although it was touch and go for a while.

Since I moved South, I have learned to respect insect bites and stings. Yes. I watch and wait and do sensible first aid. I also keep the po-po on speed dial. (Channeling Tyler Perry's Medea, in case you don't catch the reference. lol)

15. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Yesterday: Going through process of getting Level 4 (lower of two levels, which for some reason are called 2 and 4) gaming license, which involved more details and filling out than job applications. Have assignment for orientation which is a few weeks off. Yays. Texted Rhythm Pro to warn him he may get a call as a personal reference (warned NP same thing today.) Stopped at favorite antique mall and found perfect birthday present/s for brother. And of course, some stuff for me. Cannot leave antique mall without stuff. Also found a glass that will work as a birthday present for Dad ("No more books, haven't caught up with the ones from Christmas") that features his favorite dog "breed": Curbstone Sitter. One thing I got from the ephemera dealer had no price on it. By the time they'd tallied up everything else, he still hadn't called back with a price, and one of the owners said "She's in here all the time, just give it to her, I'll pay for it when he calls with a price." Yay me! (It's an ad page from a NG magazine from 1928 for IMM White Star-Red Star-America Lines. It'll go nicely with the Cunard White Star ad I already have.) This is also the antique mall that no longer takes my driver's license or phone when I pay with a cheque. Possibly, I am there a lot.

pygmalion: LOL, but it's "brown recluse", not "reclusive." Auto-correct helping out?

16. pygmalion

As a matter of fact, yeah. I told y'all I can't spell. :D

17. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

CCM, with all due respect, I cannot believe you are truly asking that question...particularly given your examples. (Although I must confess that the construction in the first sentence is similar to something I prefer: "Seeing as how you are blah blah blah..." That said, I'd never EVER use that in a professional context.)

I can accept non-standard English from someone who is not a native English speaker. The nuances of the language are difficult, and it is generally pretty easy to tell when that is the cause. However, flat-out bad English, with exceptionally bad grammar... Well, I was going to say that there is no excuse for that but, sadly, the state of the school system means that there could well be such an excuse. That said, excuse or genuine reason or laziness or what-have-you is not going to cut it when it comes to a professional context, IMO. (And this is me "speaking," and i don't have stellar grammar to begin with...although I know those sentences are hideously bad.)

In my workplace, I'd say that being able to write grammatically isn't very important: it's taken for granted that you can. Period. You may or may not need proper English in order to write, say, program specifications (which are practically their own separate language to begin with!), but at some point you are going to have to brief a supervisor, or write a report, or document something. And THEN you have got to have proper English. Period. Perhaps I'm old fashioned, but being able to write grammatically (or relatively grammatically) doesn't get to "count" in the work world, the same way that showing up having showered and put on clothing shouldn't "count" in the work world--it's just so basic it should be able to be taken for granted. You don't get credit for doing what you should be doing as a minimum baseline.

(And I do understand the difference between bad grammar because you don't know better and bad grammar because you've used it for effect. I get that. Work is not the place for that. And if a student cannot understand when it is, and is not, acceptable to be using bad grammar for effect--and I'd most certainly argue that a standard essay is not an appropriate place--well, that's just as much of a problem.)

...sorry...you've touched a nerve with me here. ;) It's a topic I feel EXTREMELY strongly about.

Lioness and pygmalion like this.
  18. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Agreed. He is good at it. (The other one who stands out in this regard is Bill Clinton, IMO.)

I wish I could remember (or that I had the time right now to look up) the part of To Kill a Mockingbird where that topic is addressed. Something about the housekeeper (who is black, although I believe she was called "negro," times being what they were) code switching between her employer's house and among her family. I believe it is Scout who comments on it.

19. pygmalion

Yeah. What bothers me is when people don't know bad grammar when they see it.

It's one thing to choose a less formal or even just plain wrong sentence structure for fun, among friends. At work, poor grammar is one of those things that sidelines careers. It's just like wearing borderline suggestive clothes. Nobody ever says anything, but, for some unknown reason, you never get on the fast track for promotion. Nobody will ever tell you that it's about your pink fluffy sweater that's unbuttoned one button too many or the double negatives in your speech. You just never get promoted.

20. fascination

drive from rock springs wy to hemiston oregon, which is fairly unimpressive...at least at the exit...but there is a comfort inn and I am uber platinum there so...oh well....a quiet night tonight, then I wil pick up son at airport tomo...then...cutest baby in the world for days and days and days....

pygmalion likes this.