yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Absolutely important. Most of the stuff we write is so loaded with jargon and acronyms that if it doesn't have some standard English to hold it together, it's utterly unreadable.
  2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

TTIUWP
  3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I will not see him til sunday and will not have picture sharing til I get home...I will try to remember to get around to it when I get home
  4. pygmalion

Thanks. Whatever works for you, of course. It's just that I enjoyed seeing his pix, last time around. :) That picture of you with him, all chunky and cute, on your hip, is priceless.
  5. pygmalion

Back to bites and stings for a moment. Now I know I'm not crazy or, if I am, I have good company. I was watching an episode of The World's Strictest Parents this morning. In it, the host parent, who is the Chief of Police in an Oklahoma town, rushed his guest/visiting child to the ER. The young lady had reported insect bites and appeared to have become unresponsive.

We Southwest folks take our bug bites seriously. As it turned out, she was faking it (long story,) but, in all seriousness, when it comes to insect venom, IMV, better safe than sorry.

ETA: I should add that I did google it. Although the brown recluse is seen mostly in the Southwest, some have been sighted as far north as Ohio.

Also ETA: Love the World's Strictest Parents. I watched two episodes this morning (instead of DFing. So sue me. :D ) The other episode transplanted two unruly teens to a gated, 100% strict, Orthodox Jewish community outside Tel Aviv. It was really fascinating to watch the girl, especially, learn to treat herself with respect by learning to dress modestly enough to meet the community's requirements. Really interesting to see how parents that seem ridiculously tough by my standards can parent strangers' kids with so much love. I'm learning. :)
  6. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

I was asking seriously. I think sometimes our students think that ONLY ENGLISH PROFESSORS care about this stuff. I think they are wrong. Sometimes, it is nice to get outside confirmation that even people in fields FAR REMOVED from the humanities care about grammar and standard written English.

I'm very in favor of being able to code switch. I do it too, and students are always amused when I pull out something obviously and intentionally ungrammatical. Spoken English has lots of flavors, and so can informal writing. But there's a difference between pulling out an "Ain't nobody got time for that!" for effect and writing formal reports using non-standard English.

Thanks for providing evidence to back up my assertions.
  7. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

I'm sorry. Poor communication on my part. I know you were asking seriously. What I should have said was that I can't believe you are having to ask it seriously.
  8. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

I question what may have changed in the school curriculum today vs. say ~20 yrs ago to cause the inability to write properly to be so prevalent these days, even in native english speakers. Is it that children born in the computer age no longer put pencil to paper? Is grammar not being taught?

This has probably earned its own thread, but for now I'll leave this comment here. Right or wrong, I can't help but form opinions on a person based on how they speak and write.
  9. pygmalion

I think it's that kids don't read actual books or hear books read to them, so that they can't hear/see what poor grammar looks/sounds like.

Everything's on a five-inch screen. *sigh*

I don't think it has to do with school curriculum. I think it has to do with parents or other caring adults reading with their children instead of allowing them to entertain themselves with electronics.

I am prejudiced, but that's what I see. *shrug*
    danceronice likes this.
  10. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Saturday: Slept in after dog 1 woke me up at almost 2, wanting to go out, where he did nothing, came in, climbed on the bed, wouldn't relax, and I finally put him out in the living room with dog 2 and cats. No idea what his problem was. Did taxes. Somehow am getting money back from the feds, which is always a nice surprise, in certain ways (my goal is to have no liability and no refund, meaning I withheld perfectly. Like that'll happen.) Walked dogs, dog 1 is still whiny and generally uneasy until I put his Thundershirt on. Going through seed catalogs as it's pretty much that time as far as starting things in the Aerogarden goes. Trying not to to spend all my money at PineTree Seeds as I don't even HAVE that much room (and I still have a load of bushes and such to get from Jung Seeds and Plants...) Must begin plotting for county fair (cross your fingers and pray for my pumpkins, heirloom Small Sugar, and watermelons, heirloom Tom Watsons, which are supposed to come in at 90 days or less).
  11. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Wednesday:

Lesson, in which some stuff Teach and I had discussed the previous day reared its ugly head and yet the dragon was slain; what *is* it about true confessions that frees me up to dance better afterward?
    Work with Ex, ship a package to Norway
    Theater

Thursday

Taxes, taxes taxes taxes taxes
    Kill me now
    Dinner with BFF, been a loooooong time
    Drive home in the snow; beautiful
  12. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Yesterday:

Again with the taxes
    Long-lost friend surfaces, to mixed reviews
    Shovel a path in driveway so I can get to...
    Lesson, in which wonderful things happen
    Brief time with the Ex, dealing with Norway package that got returned by Customs; TDNWMH
    Home; make lasagne, in spite of best efforts of kitten to keep that from happening
  13. cornutt

I personally don't like it. And in particular, when politicians do it, it comes across as both phony, and mocking the audience. Maybe I'm just sensitive to it because I've heard so many bad imitations of Southern accents.
    Sania and danceronice like this.
  14. pygmalion

I hear ya. Still learning to use my new laptop, so my long response got eaten.

I think that all politicians code switch, even though it's more obvious with some than others. We're talking about powerful (mostly) men, (mostly) millionaires, (mostly) American born, who have to somehow make themselves relatable to poor people living in the Appalachians, and women, and immigrants, for example. No way in heck I'd go to Podunk, WV, and speak with Oxford University English. Politicians have to get across the message that they are governing everyone, not just the Rhodes scholars and Yale Law grads like themselves. They ALL do it. That's politics. Which doesn't belong in DF. *shrug*

I would contend that techies do it too. Want funding for your latest widget? Go talk to the money guys, in a language they understand. Sure as heck not techie. You've gotta talk money, to the money guys.

Same deal with me. I talk to people in a way that I think will make it easier for them to hear me. Like the Apostle Paul said in Romans something or the other, "When I speak to Romans, I speak as a Roman. When I speak to Jews, I speak as a Jew."** I don't think there's anything wrong with customizing your message to your audience.

** This is paraphrased. I can't remember the exact quote.
  15. ChaChaMama

I hear you. I wasn't necessarily talking about politicians, though. I was talking about regular folks in day-to-day discourse.

To use the language of the academy, we participate in different "discourse communities," with different vocabularies, grammar rules, idioms, manners of address. If you don't code switch to some degree, you come across sounding stuffy or out of place.

To give a minor example:
    I grew up in suburban NJ in the 1970s. When I was a kid, your friends' parents were "Mr and Mrs. Last Name," e.g., "Mr. and Mrs. Dresner," "Mr. and Mrs. Kostin," "Mrs. Isenberg," etc. Parents were known to have first names, but children did not get to use them.

My kid is growing up in MD in the 2000s, and around here, kids refer to their friends' parents or adult neighbors as "Mr. and Miss First Name." So kids will say "Mr. Andy," "Mr. Keith," "Miss Cecilia." Now, I could insist on "Mrs. Last Name," but to do so would be to insist on standing out.

When I lived in California in the early 1990s, I was friends with an African-American woman, and her community, it was "Miss Aunt First Name," regardless of your actual relationship to someone. So she was "Miss Aunt Shirley."

Another example:
    I am in a different internet group, and in this group, someone mentioned having seen the word "recalcitrant" a few times this week and thinking of that as a real $10 word. Within my family and my professional life, that would not be considered a weird word at all. I do sometimes catching myself using words that other people probably find a little too high-falutin' and college professor-y. If I don't code switch to a degree, I risk being perceived as a show off. I want to be perceived as smart, but not as full of myself.
  16. pygmalion

I love this example. In my A-A community, Auntie has a very specific meaning -- second in line matriarch.

Big Momma is the grandmother or great grandmother who's still living. Auntie is Big Momma in waiting aka She Who Must Be Obeyed.

That is what it is. Does it stop me from talking with my non A-A friends about their "Ants?" No. I just know that, when I go home, it's "Auntie." Ahn-TEE. Most Black people I know don't have "Ants." They all have Aunties.

It's understanding other people's culture.
    ChaChaMama likes this.
  17. cornutt

P, I've read your and CCM's comments on the code-switching thing. I agree with you that nearly all politicians (in the U.S. at least) of all stripes do it, and the few that don't are generally regarded as incompetent campaigners. Well, enough about politics.

I'll have to think about some of the rest of it. My first reaction is to think that there is a difference between adopting (or dropping) the vocabulary and jargon of a particular vocation according to who the audience is, and adopting non-standard usage and grammar in a cloying attempt to be "buddies" with the audience. However, I admit that this is far from a persuasive argument. I'm well aware that almost any group adopts certain lingo, the usage of which is to show solidarity with the group, in addition to the obvious meaning. (We have some of that here on DF.) I'll have to do some research.

Interesting. So as I understand, the title "Auntie" only applies to one person at a given time. What do you call your parents' other female siblings?
  18. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

sunday; cuddle-a-thon day 1, then back to residence in for gnocchi bolognese and fro-yo
    j_alexandra likes this.
  19. pygmalion

Aunt [first name]. Confusing, isn't it?

When my Dad's sisters were living, I had Aunt Janie and Auntie whose name was Lucille, but nobody called her that. She was Auntie to all jillion of us cousins. There was only room for one Auntie.
  20. ChaChaMama

FRIDAY:
    8:20--Drop off kid.

9:10--ENG 1101. Debates on whether more colleges should go SAT optional.

10:20--GWII. Anna Karenina.

11:30--Meeting with an advisee about her study abroad plans.

Lunch.

1-2:30--Meeting with Assistant FYS Director. Work through long agenda.

3--Pick up Child.

Grocery store.

We eventually watch half of "You Only Live Twice."

Long phone convo with Bestie.

Phone convo with Dad to work out birthday party arrangements.