yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

SATURDAY:
    Clean up house.

Take Child to gymnastics b/c Husband not up to it.

Make Beef Stew. Short 1 ingredient, again. Okay, this is absurd. Our pantry is full of stuff, but apparently not the stuff I need. We need to do a massive clean out and then re-load.

4-8--Birthday Party!
    -Before I know it, everyone is blowing up letters. (My Mom is all about projects.)
    -Husband gets a book Don't Let the Republicans Drive the Bus, a satire on Don't the Pidgeon Drive the Bus.
    -We play a big family game of Taboo.
    -Dinner. Everyone likes my beef stew!
    -We play Happy Birthday on the hand bells. (See above: My Mom is all about the projects!)
    -Cake and more presents. Husband gets a shirt (from mom), and some personalized postage stamps (from my sister), and a game of Klingon Monopoly (from us). My Mom gets two Vincent Van Gogh print scarves (from us).

Husband falls asleep around 9:30 and sleeps about 12 hours. That took a lot out of him. I would not describe him as better yet.
  2. ChaChaMama

SUNDAY:
    Adjust various clocks.

Send a motherlode of work related e-mails.

Child and I take dog for long walk on sunny, gorgeous day.

Read some of The Last Apprentice: Attack of the Fiend.

Grocery store.

Read Will Self's Umbrella. This is the most challenging novel I've read in a long time.
  3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

@ccm When you're reloading, please consider buying multiple cans of tomatoes. Just sayin.:D
  4. ChaChaMama

Lol! Last night, I bought a couple cans of diced tomatoes, a couple cans of tomato paste, and a couple cans of that tinned tomato sauce which can pretty much only be used as part of the base when making chili or stew. Embarrassingly enough, the same problem came up again when I went to make the beef stew! This time, I needed tomato paste and didn't have that either. I only needed 2 tbsp, but still--annoying! I had fresh grape tomatoes, but no canned stuff...and I'm not sure how one would convert real live tomatoes into tomato paste. I decided marinara sauce was going to have to do!

Seriously, forgetting one ingredient at the store is sooo annoying...and doubly so because I have no one but myself to blame!
  5. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Saturday:

To the Ex, to re-ship package to Norway, fingers crossed
    Errands
    To NY; drop father at his theater, then go to studio on 35th St. between 7th and Broadway to take what I thought would be a workshop-y kind of seminar from Bill Davies, and turned out to be a class in Standard Foxtrot; my dance shoes stayed home, oopsie;
    Powerwalk to Worldtone (38th and 8th, which sounds not that far away but walking in NYC can be on almost the same scale of difficulty as, say, Lewis and Clark's journey) and powerspend an ungodly sum of money on a pair of Paoul shoes,
    Powerwalk back to studio and arrive only 5 minutes late; class interesting, Bill charming, but I am out of my depth in a class with only 5 other people, all of whom (including the junior high age kids) are far more accomplished in Standard than I
    Call Worldtone and find out if my sunglasses are there; they are; powerwalk back to Worldtone, pick up sunglasses, powerwalk back to garage @36th and 6th
    Pick up father outside theater, drive home
    BFF comes over after din with a bottle of astonishingly yummy Irish whiskey, to which we pay due homage
    Pass out oops I mean Z
  6. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Yesterday:

Take self to breakfast at a diner b/c it's gonna be a looooong day
    To local bakery and buy 6 pounds of assorted yummy cookies
    To studio, drop off cookies, help with arrangements for day of dance classes for different kinds of differently-abled people; first up is a group of adult developmentally disabled, who have been working with DB#1 for a couple of years, and have a blast; camera crew arrives, this day is being videoed for Univision's morning program; the reporter is a hottie in a skin-tight orange t-shirt, just imagine any newsreader on Fox wearing THAT!
    Second class is wheelchair dance; there are new faces, one of whom is a young guy who has so little strength in his arms and hands that he has a powerchair, he's a real cutie, he loves to dance; he tells me he used to go to one of the local dance studios before he was in the chair (3 years now) and I said, motorcycle accident? no; MS; and if your heart isn't broken yet... in his 20s, with MS so badly he can barely speak, and came out to dance. in his chair. and a smile from heaven.
    3rd afternoon event was a class for visually impaired, and Teach had everyone up on their feet and moving -- turns out, they already knew how to dance; one of the men I dance with is a seriously accomplished salsa guy, sooo much fun
    After classes, to home of DB#4 for wine and din; did I mention wine?
    Home; z
    Purr likes this.
  7. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

cuddle-a thon day 2 followed by shopping for Mr. Cuddles and then dinner at korean food cart....om nom nom
    j_alexandra likes this.
  8. pygmalion

Today:
    To Target for groceries. Small, small basket as DS is with his father.(Don't get me started!) I did not buy canned tomatoes, however, as I have plenty. :D

Only noteworthy thing is that I see the cashier who's old enough to be my father ask the supervisor who's young enough to be my daughter for a bathroom break. This does not warm my heart at all,and I really don't think it has anything to do with Target overall. This chick is ...a[w] itch. I've seen her stand beside another employee, who stuttered and giggled uncontrollably the entire time I was checking out

Abuse of positional power. Mmm Hmm. Yeah. I'm going to report the [w]itch to corporate. She's awful.
  9. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Seriously? Reading this brought up the visual of the scene from the Shawshank Redemption, where Morgan Freeman, a bagger in a grocery store, asked the boss to take a bathroom break. The bosss told him he didn't need to ask - just go.

Report the cashier - this is dreadful. Usually at Target the restrooms are close to the front near the checkout, so taking a quick bathroom break shouldn't be an issue. When you have to go, you have to go.
  10. pygmalion

I wouldn't have been so appalled if the store had been busy, but it wasn't. I was the only person in his line. *sigh*
  11. pygmalion

*sigh* Just filled out the Guest Experience Feedback Form and complained about the Mean Supervisor at Target. I feel terrible. I HATE doing stuff like that, but honest to goodness. I have seen her abuse employees at this store so many times. Like the poor lady I mentioned above who stuttered and giggled. This is a woman that I have had dozens of pleasant interaction with. Dozens. The day this manager decided to harass her, the supervisor stood one foot away, in her personal space, and watched the entire transaction. While the poor lady was trying to make change for me, the Mean Supervisor said to her in a surly voice, "I'll talk to you later, J." I wanted to say, "Could you please leave the woman alone? If you did, she might be better able to do her job, you jerk!" I didn't say it though. I think poor J might have wet herself if I did. She was SO nervous.

That is not management. That is harassment. And I've had my say.

So why do I feel bad? *sigh*
  12. fascination

cuddle-a thon day 3....note to self...you are 47...the vertebrae in your neck advise against ever again doing a somersault just because the cutest baby in the world might enjoy it.....pizza way too late at night...self medicating and praying I haven't done something irreparably stupid
    j_alexandra likes this.
  13. pygmalion

I am so glad you're having fun with the boobala. Somersaults? One of the blessings of having your babies when you were a mere babe in arms yourself. I had DS when I was old. By the time he has kids, it'll be a miracle if I can walk. Somersaults will be out of the question.
  14. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Yesterday: socks.

That about sums up the important part of yesterday. Oh, sure, there was the usual work, drive, friends, eat. But the main point of yesterday was the socks.

For a variety of reasons I've been...um...struggling lately. Just not coping all too well with life as of late. Exhausted (not sleeping well, not sleeping well), stressed, frustrated, generally sad. I'm keeping my [stuff] together, but just barely some days. And, key to all of this, is lacking support from those I look to for said support. I'm not upset about that (people have their own lives and can't be expected to drop everything based on my moods, and how can I look to them to help me when I don't know how to help myself), but it does make it harder to get through things when I don't have it. Like I said, I'm keeping my [stuff] together, but what I really need is that support so that I can have the respite of not holding my [stuff] together, just for a little while. I've reached out in the ways I know how, but haven't gotten what I need. At all. Like I said, I'm not upset, but it makes things harder...and means I need to reevaluate things.

Anyhow. Socks.

So I've been feeling really down lately. Feeling like no one could really be bothered with little ol' me. Kind of a [poopy] way to be feeling. And then yesterday a friend gave me a pair of socks. With a hug. To start with, I'll just point out that the socks are beautiful, and that she knit them herself. In fact, I've been watching her knit these socks over a period of who-knows-how-long every Tuesday. So, gorgeous socks. (And, in case you didn't know, I LOVE socks. Don't ask.) But aside from the gorgeous, handmade aspect of them...just the fact that she thought of me meant SO much. And that they came with a hug, which I beyond-depserately needed. It made my day.

So, yeah...yesterday was all about the socks.
    j_alexandra and fascination like this.
  15. pygmalion

If there's anything I can do from here, say the word. I know you're not a phone person, but I write a mean email, and my letters ain't half bad, either, if I must say so myself.

It's a tough world, but you are not alone.
  16. ChaChaMama

Yay for socks, and for what they symbolize. :)

And I hope things turn around for you soon.

In the case that you decide you are feeling more than a little blue, remember that there is no shame in going to a therapist, and the right one can help. Remember, therapists are like the pro-am of listening: they are trained, talented, and you are paying for their time. They will not give you a heartfelt gift like your friend did, it is true, but sometimes they can help you get to the bottom of what's bothering you. Just a thought.

I guess I'm just concerned when you talk about feeling down and not being able to sleep properly.
  17. ChaChaMama

MONDAY:
    An even crazier Marathon Monday than usual as the entire college is undergoing our 10 year reaccreditation.

8:20--Drop off Child and get self to work.

8:45, 9:05, 9:25--Individual student appts.

10-10:45--Me, a couple deans, and the registrar meet with one of the reaccreditation teams. I have to say I think I was at my best in this meeting.
    It ran a little late, which is a bit unfortunate, because I normally teach 10:20-11:20, and I told my class I would be there by 10:50.

11-11:20--Great Works II. Anna K.

Lunch.

12:40-2:10--Senior Sem appointments. Give a rather strong talking-to to my weakest student.

2:15--Very abbreviated office hours, because...

2:30-3:30--Co-ed housing meeting.

3:30--Tour our current male freshman dorm. (Felt a little lightheaded, but luckily nothing serious.)
    I'm going to share a dialogue I already posted on my FB:
    While touring the first-year male residence hall with Res Life....
    RES LIFE GUY: (Knocks on door of student. I am standing slightly out of eyeshot. Student answers.) I don't know if you've heard about this, but your dorm is going co-ed.
    STUDENT: I've heard about it, yeah.
    RES LIFE GUY: Well, I've got a faculty member who runs the first year seminar program and I was wondering if you would mind if I showed her your room.
    STUDENT: Is she here right now?
    RES LIFE GUY: Yes.
    STUDENT: Can I put on pants first?
    RES LIFE GUY: That would be nice.

4:30--Home! Read, eat, relax with family.

Disappointed that Husband still does not feel up to taking Child to ice skating, almost 2 weeks after the surgery. I know, I know...patience, CCM.

7:30-10--MODERN WORLD. Anna Karenina.
    Wind down.

11:30--Bed.
  18. pygmalion

I have a GF who has had sinus surgery twice in the past four(?) years. Some sort of awful-sounding thing where they have to scrape fungus out. (I shudder at the mere thought.) But, long story short, her recovery time has not been short eithe time.

No idea what CCP's procedure was and not asking. Based on my GF's experience, it may be a little while before he's 100%. I'm glad he' on the mend, though.:) Hope you are too.

Target has large bags of fun-sized Peanut M&M's for $2.66 or $2.99, depending on whether there's a sale. Just figured I'd mention that. :D
    ChaChaMama likes this.
  19. ChaChaMama

TUESDAY:
    7:30--Husband didn't get up with Child even though he is supposed to on Tuesdays. This is how things have been around here of late. Fine. Guess I don't get to take a shower, because now I don't even have that amount of time.
    The good news is that my 1 PM meeting has been cancelled. That's especially good because I had accidentally double booked myself for that slot.
    8:30--Drop Child at school.

Quick stop at grocery store to get a new toothbrush, as a stinkbug had been sitting on the bristles of mine. Yuck! Thought I had a spare in the bathroom closet, but didn't. (Need to re-stock there too!)
    Brush teeth before I do anything else.

9-9:45--Meet with another Middle States team, this time in my capacity as a member of the Academic Planning Committee. Less brill at this one, but it goes okay.

10--Back in office. Deal with some annoying e-mails.

11, 11:20, 11:40--Individual student appts.

12:15-12:30--Lunch.

12:30, 12:50, 1:10--Individual student appts.

1:30--Letter of recommendation, print out, run it over to relevant office.
    Deal with some annoying e-mails.

3--Pick up Child.

Watch another piece of "You Only Live Twice."
    Get Child ready for dance.

Doctor's office calls! Get all my numbers. And...they are all good.
    Cholesterol: 158. (HDL 64/LDL 78, tri 80).
    FBG: 84.
    TSH: 2.72 (A little concerning that that is more than double what it was 2 years ago, but still in the .3-3.0 range.)
    Iron: 188. (This is actually rather high for a woman...but we thought it might be low.)
    Lyme disease test: Negative.

So I guess I just passed out and have occasionally felt lightheaded since then because I do. No explanations in the blood work.

5-8:30--Child dances. I read Will Self's Umbrella. Super complicated book.

9--Home, put Child to bed.

Convo with Husband about not doing things like just assuming I will take Child to school without even asking. I hate feeling taken for granted, esp when he knows this is a crazy time at work.
  20. fascination

I think we have all been there Peach...hug...and I am sorry you were there...and that so often it seems that in order to be heard we feel like we have to practically shout it....but how very awesome when someone shows up at just the right time in such a tender way