Dancers Anonymous > yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

  1. fascination

    fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

    cuddle-a thon day 3....note to are 47...the vertebrae in your neck advise against ever again doing a somersault just because the cutest baby in the world might enjoy way too late at night...self medicating and praying I haven't done something irreparably stupid
    j_alexandra likes this.
  2. pygmalion

    pygmalion Well-Known Member

    I am so glad you're having fun with the boobala. Somersaults? One of the blessings of having your babies when you were a mere babe in arms yourself. I had DS when I was old. By the time he has kids, it'll be a miracle if I can walk. Somersaults will be out of the question.
  3. Peaches

    Peaches Well-Known Member

    Yesterday: socks.

    That about sums up the important part of yesterday. Oh, sure, there was the usual work, drive, friends, eat. But the main point of yesterday was the socks.

    For a variety of reasons I've lately. Just not coping all too well with life as of late. Exhausted (not sleeping well, not sleeping well), stressed, frustrated, generally sad. I'm keeping my [stuff] together, but just barely some days. And, key to all of this, is lacking support from those I look to for said support. I'm not upset about that (people have their own lives and can't be expected to drop everything based on my moods, and how can I look to them to help me when I don't know how to help myself), but it does make it harder to get through things when I don't have it. Like I said, I'm keeping my [stuff] together, but what I really need is that support so that I can have the respite of not holding my [stuff] together, just for a little while. I've reached out in the ways I know how, but haven't gotten what I need. At all. Like I said, I'm not upset, but it makes things harder...and means I need to reevaluate things.

    Anyhow. Socks.

    So I've been feeling really down lately. Feeling like no one could really be bothered with little ol' me. Kind of a [poopy] way to be feeling. And then yesterday a friend gave me a pair of socks. With a hug. To start with, I'll just point out that the socks are beautiful, and that she knit them herself. In fact, I've been watching her knit these socks over a period of who-knows-how-long every Tuesday. So, gorgeous socks. (And, in case you didn't know, I LOVE socks. Don't ask.) But aside from the gorgeous, handmade aspect of them...just the fact that she thought of me meant SO much. And that they came with a hug, which I beyond-depserately needed. It made my day.

    So, yeah...yesterday was all about the socks.
    j_alexandra and fascination like this.
  4. pygmalion

    pygmalion Well-Known Member

    If there's anything I can do from here, say the word. I know you're not a phone person, but I write a mean email, and my letters ain't half bad, either, if I must say so myself.

    It's a tough world, but you are not alone.
  5. ChaChaMama

    ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

    Yay for socks, and for what they symbolize. :)

    And I hope things turn around for you soon.

    In the case that you decide you are feeling more than a little blue, remember that there is no shame in going to a therapist, and the right one can help. Remember, therapists are like the pro-am of listening: they are trained, talented, and you are paying for their time. They will not give you a heartfelt gift like your friend did, it is true, but sometimes they can help you get to the bottom of what's bothering you. Just a thought.

    I guess I'm just concerned when you talk about feeling down and not being able to sleep properly.
  6. ChaChaMama

    ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

    An even crazier Marathon Monday than usual as the entire college is undergoing our 10 year reaccreditation.

    8:20--Drop off Child and get self to work.

    8:45, 9:05, 9:25--Individual student appts.

    10-10:45--Me, a couple deans, and the registrar meet with one of the reaccreditation teams. I have to say I think I was at my best in this meeting.
    It ran a little late, which is a bit unfortunate, because I normally teach 10:20-11:20, and I told my class I would be there by 10:50.

    11-11:20--Great Works II. Anna K.


    12:40-2:10--Senior Sem appointments. Give a rather strong talking-to to my weakest student.

    2:15--Very abbreviated office hours, because...

    2:30-3:30--Co-ed housing meeting.

    3:30--Tour our current male freshman dorm. (Felt a little lightheaded, but luckily nothing serious.)
    I'm going to share a dialogue I already posted on my FB:
    While touring the first-year male residence hall with Res Life....
    RES LIFE GUY: (Knocks on door of student. I am standing slightly out of eyeshot. Student answers.) I don't know if you've heard about this, but your dorm is going co-ed.
    STUDENT: I've heard about it, yeah.
    RES LIFE GUY: Well, I've got a faculty member who runs the first year seminar program and I was wondering if you would mind if I showed her your room.
    STUDENT: Is she here right now?
    RES LIFE GUY: Yes.
    STUDENT: Can I put on pants first?
    RES LIFE GUY: That would be nice.

    4:30--Home! Read, eat, relax with family.

    Disappointed that Husband still does not feel up to taking Child to ice skating, almost 2 weeks after the surgery. I know, I know...patience, CCM.

    7:30-10--MODERN WORLD. Anna Karenina.
    Wind down.

  7. pygmalion

    pygmalion Well-Known Member

    I have a GF who has had sinus surgery twice in the past four(?) years. Some sort of awful-sounding thing where they have to scrape fungus out. (I shudder at the mere thought.) But, long story short, her recovery time has not been short eithe time.

    No idea what CCP's procedure was and not asking. Based on my GF's experience, it may be a little while before he's 100%. I'm glad he' on the mend, though.:) Hope you are too.

    Target has large bags of fun-sized Peanut M&M's for $2.66 or $2.99, depending on whether there's a sale. Just figured I'd mention that. :D
    ChaChaMama likes this.
  8. ChaChaMama

    ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

    7:30--Husband didn't get up with Child even though he is supposed to on Tuesdays. This is how things have been around here of late. Fine. Guess I don't get to take a shower, because now I don't even have that amount of time.
    The good news is that my 1 PM meeting has been cancelled. That's especially good because I had accidentally double booked myself for that slot.
    8:30--Drop Child at school.

    Quick stop at grocery store to get a new toothbrush, as a stinkbug had been sitting on the bristles of mine. Yuck! Thought I had a spare in the bathroom closet, but didn't. (Need to re-stock there too!)
    Brush teeth before I do anything else.

    9-9:45--Meet with another Middle States team, this time in my capacity as a member of the Academic Planning Committee. Less brill at this one, but it goes okay.

    10--Back in office. Deal with some annoying e-mails.

    11, 11:20, 11:40--Individual student appts.


    12:30, 12:50, 1:10--Individual student appts.

    1:30--Letter of recommendation, print out, run it over to relevant office.
    Deal with some annoying e-mails.

    3--Pick up Child.

    Watch another piece of "You Only Live Twice."
    Get Child ready for dance.

    Doctor's office calls! Get all my numbers. And...they are all good.
    Cholesterol: 158. (HDL 64/LDL 78, tri 80).
    FBG: 84.
    TSH: 2.72 (A little concerning that that is more than double what it was 2 years ago, but still in the .3-3.0 range.)
    Iron: 188. (This is actually rather high for a woman...but we thought it might be low.)
    Lyme disease test: Negative.

    So I guess I just passed out and have occasionally felt lightheaded since then because I do. No explanations in the blood work.

    5-8:30--Child dances. I read Will Self's Umbrella. Super complicated book.

    9--Home, put Child to bed.

    Convo with Husband about not doing things like just assuming I will take Child to school without even asking. I hate feeling taken for granted, esp when he knows this is a crazy time at work.
  9. fascination

    fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

    I think we have all been there Peach...hug...and I am sorry you were there...and that so often it seems that in order to be heard we feel like we have to practically shout it....but how very awesome when someone shows up at just the right time in such a tender way
  10. alexandrahweis

    alexandrahweis Active Member

    Tuesday, went to see my physical therapist, had a lesson with my ballroom instructor, had lunch, went to my regular 5 hours of dance classes, listened to my boss rant and then got home and had a bit of dinner and fell into bed.
  11. j_alexandra

    j_alexandra Well-Known Member

    CCM: this may be your finest moment evah:

    "therapists are like the pro-am of listening"
    3wishes, ChaChaMama and samina like this.
  12. j_alexandra

    j_alexandra Well-Known Member


    Ballet, exhausted and not my best effort
    Lesson, which turns out to be far better than I expect
    After Lesson, long conversation with Teach, plans for the future, etc
    Ex-time, prep for his Big Show this coming weekend
    Home; crash
    Group class
    Home; crash again
  13. j_alexandra

    j_alexandra Well-Known Member


    Lesson -- and when I say it was all Standard Foxtrot and magically, meltingly wonderful, even I wonder who are you and what have you done with JA?
    Rolfer, swoon
    Another long planning conversation with Teach
  14. fascination

    fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

    cuddle-a -thon day 4, in which the perfecting of hand motions to itsy bitsy spider was accomplished along with much peek-a-boo and walking practice also occurred...I am deeply in love...and there will be no recovery from it...son hurts back from lifting baby improperly, so we go out this evening and pour some local cider beer on it and eat some fabulous food...I love being out of the midwest
    3wishes, ChaChaMama and j_alexandra like this.
  15. ChaChaMama

    ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

    8:20--Drop off the Child.

    8:45, 9:00, 9:20, 9:40--Individual student appts.

    10:20--GREAT WORKS II. Anna Karenina. Very good discussion, one of the best we've had.

    11:30--Lunch. One individual student appt. I was then trying to read two Senior Sem drafts, when an advisee unexpectedly dropped by wanting to be advised for Fall 2013. Um...I don't think the class schedule is out yet? She seems to have seen it, though, and wanted to talk about her Senior Sem, so we talked for a while.

    12:40-2:10--SENIOR SEM. Third guy not prepared, and is having some real struggles in life. I tell him it's no problem and we talk about how he can use break to get back on track. He tells me I am a very nice professor.

    2:15--Individual student appt.

    2:45--Bolt to go pick up Child. And...awkward moment.
    MIDDLE SCHOOL BOY CO-RUNNING PICK UP: Your daughter has already been picked up.
    ME: By my husband?

    Get home and Husband's car is not there. (School is 3-5 mins from house and there is only one way you can go.)

    Turns out Husband got confused about what day of the week it was and took Child to ice cream, which they sometimes do on Fridays while I grade papers. (Though less often recently since Husband has been sick.)

    Husband is feeling quite a bit better today, all of the sudden! Day 143 looks like a breakthrough!

    3 new dresses arrived for me from Boston Proper. Tried them on. Like them all. My favorite is this one:

    Read Reckless with Child.

    Finished "You Only Live Twice."

    Took Child to dance. Read Umbrella. I'm aiming to finish it by Saturday at the latest.

    Put Child to bed.

    Husband wound up staying up until 3 AM. I find this very annoying. You are FINALLY starting to feel better, so you are going to intentionally go to bed much, much later than you should?

    I remind him--at 3 AM, when he wakes me up coming into bed--that as he knows, Thursday is supposed to be my sleep-in day, and make it clear that I do not intend to get up with Child. In point of fact, I need to get up and be out of the house by 9 AM anyway, so it wouldn't be all that much trouble for me, but if he is not going to even TRY to make smart health decisions, then I feel kind of DONE with taking on extra responsibilities b/c he isn't feeling well.

    This might not have been my finest and most generous moment. But it was 3 AM.
  16. fascination

    fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

    that sounds appropriate to me ccm....there are some aspects of being chronically ill that should be bypassed, and one of them can be that subtle creeping of an entitlement mindset
    nikkitta likes this.
  17. MissSongbird

    MissSongbird Member

    Wednesday 3/13:

    Got up early to work on a paper...fell back asleep.
    Went to classes: European Middle Ages II, International Relations, Holocaust
    Performance Practice (Waltz)
    Competitive Ballroom practice: Level 1 (Waltz), Technique with coach (Rise and Fall in Waltz and Foxtrot, Viennese Waltz)
  18. danceronice

    danceronice Well-Known Member

    Today, skate, feel rather sorer than usual at it, stop at UPS store to ship shoes back to dancerman with check for shoes I'm keeping, go to grocery store next to UPS store for rotisserie chicken and second kind of cheese for mac n cheese I plan to make tomorrow, walk dogs, start clearing up yard somewhat including whacking at the out of control climbing roses (without gloves, because I'm smart that way :rolleyes:), feed dogs, walk dogs again, be on computer not working on short story that has a deadline of April 1 which I WILL finish, probably in time to e-mail at 11:45pm on March 31, as these things tend to go, get call from studio, having coaching/choreo lesson tomorrow with visiting coach for what is being termed 'creepy doll' showcase (even though she's technically not a doll, she's a marionette. At some point, must comment on band's FB page to ask just what the heck prompted that song anyway. Also must ask for suggestions on how to edit their song to come in under the solo/showcase time limit.)
  19. Peaches

    Peaches Well-Known Member

    Yesterday was the day of meetings--five of them. Ugh.

    10am conference call meeting, in which we use a metaphorical cattle prod on my researcher to try and get him to do ANYTHING! His original research idea didn't pan out (duh. we said that it wouldn't work, but did they listen???), and he isn't too interested in the replacement idea. Can't blame him, but still.

    11am meeting w/ statistician. Serious crisis happening with sample. Well, actually, serious crisis happening with population, making the sample...FUBAR. Friggin' great.

    2pm meeting w/ section & division director. She does these every six months or so, and they're interesting. Completely free-form, no agenda, no nothing. She just sits and waits for us to talk about what we want her to know about (with our work), and to ask whatever questions we want. Managers were sent out of the room at the end, so we could bring things up with her directly.

    3pm meeting with director...more to follow. Very good outcome.

    4pm meeting with branch chief, as a direct result of 3pm meeting with director. More good outcomes.

    Home. Celebrate. Vodka (ran out--there was only a little), mead (also ran out--also only a little), and rum (did not run out, but had plenty) makes for one hell of a hangover the next morning, lemme tell you! Ow.

    So...good meeting with director. Summary first: I've got a new job for a few months, working with the budget guy and the HR woman to revise and document antiquated procedures. Color me happy. Turns out our director is a process-geek as well...quite possibly more than she absolutely sees the value in it and is thrilled that she's found someone who has an interest and gets it. She's bringing me her books on it.

    So, I've never been as forthright with any manager as I was yesterday, with her. I've never even spoken with her one-on-one before. (Except to say hi or some such in the restroom, which is the only time I ever seem to run into her.) I was blatant about things to her. I told her (more-or-less verbatim) that I want a [promotion], I want to earn it, and I'm want to do whatever it takes to get it. Period. I wanted this detail--both because I wanted to do that work, and because I wanted it for my resume. There was more to the conversation than that, but still. It kind of occurred to me, on my walk to her office, that 1)if I was going to own/be held accountable for my weaknesses, then I was damn well going to own my strengths, and 2)I had nothing to lose by being completely blatant about what I want and what I was prepared to do to get it. What could happen? She didn't like it, and I didn't get the detail? Well, I still have a eff it. She responded well to the bald statement of ambition.

    New position may or may not be a pay increase (*fingers crossed*). But it will definitely get me a lot more exposure and visibility, and she says she's committed to getting me exposure and visibility with her execs. So...yay.

    Need to go shopping for dressier work clothes.
  20. ChaChaMama

    ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

    5 meetings in a day--wow! I have been complaining because I have 6 meetings this WEEK! (Well, okay. I also had 20 1-on-1 conferences with individual students...but those are different because they are short and very focused: I look at the student's work, I critique, I give back. The student hopefully revises.)

    9 AM--Waxing.
    10ish--In at work. Student drops by. Needs letter of tomorrow. Luckily it is someone I wrote for before, so I can do this.

    11:30-1--Academic Planning Committee.

    Back in office and dealt with some things that needed dealing with.

    I need to think about how I want to handle a situation with this associate dean I need to work with as part of my new job. She is very nice, but she is driving me insane. There are in essence two problems:
    A. She does not seem to prioritize "What do I need to tell CCM right this very second?" and "What can wait until our team meeting?" She sends me e-mail CONSTANTLY throughout the day (e.g., when I got back to my office, there had been e-mails from her at 10:01, 12:46, 1:06). She also puts together to-do lists that have a seriously overwhelming number of task on them...but they are not sorted into short-term, medium-term, long-term at all. So things like "Order lunch for our May retreat" are right up there with "Prepare contracts for people who have agreed to teach FYS." I find this extremely annoying. I also find it annoying that she and the other administrator do not seem to get that faculty are not on e-mail all day long.

    B. Sometimes, her emails have a slightly underlying critical tone, e.g., "Two of your faculty members are very anxious about advising in the program [which won't happen until late June, and I'm going to have trainings before then], so *I* helped alleviate their anxiety." I get the feeling that this associate dean thinks she is the head of our team and gets to tell me how to do my job. I am new to the job, so I get it...but she is definitely NOT my boss. I am not her boss either. We are lateral to each other, in different divisions. (If anything, you could argue that I outrank her: I am a full professor; she is an associate dean. Ranks are assistant, associate, full. But that doesn't really matter. The point is that we are lateral and have different responsibilities.)

    4--First jog on treadmill since the fainting incident. It went pretty well! Jogged for 40 minutes straight @ 6.1 mph, then walked. 6 miles total. Shower, dinner.

    Read some with Child.

    Watched part of a Bond movie.

    Graded a paper, updated grade book.


Share This Page