yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. alexandrahweis

alexandrahweis Active Member

Tuesday, went to see my physical therapist, had a lesson with my ballroom instructor, had lunch, went to my regular 5 hours of dance classes, listened to my boss rant and then got home and had a bit of dinner and fell into bed.
  2. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

CCM: this may be your finest moment evah:

"therapists are like the pro-am of listening"
    3wishes, ChaChaMama and samina like this.
  3. j_alexandra

Monday:

Ballet, exhausted and not my best effort
    Lesson, which turns out to be far better than I expect
    After Lesson, long conversation with Teach, plans for the future, etc
    Ex-time, prep for his Big Show this coming weekend
    Home; crash
    Group class
    Home; crash again
  4. j_alexandra

Yesterday:

Gyro
    Lesson -- and when I say it was all Standard Foxtrot and magically, meltingly wonderful, even I wonder who are you and what have you done with JA?
    Rolfer, swoon
    Another long planning conversation with Teach
  5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

cuddle-a -thon day 4, in which the perfecting of hand motions to itsy bitsy spider was accomplished along with much peek-a-boo and walking practice also occurred...I am deeply in love...and there will be no recovery from it...son hurts back from lifting baby improperly, so we go out this evening and pour some local cider beer on it and eat some fabulous food...I love being out of the midwest
    3wishes, ChaChaMama and j_alexandra like this.
  6. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

WEDNESDAY:
    8:20--Drop off the Child.

8:45, 9:00, 9:20, 9:40--Individual student appts.

10:20--GREAT WORKS II. Anna Karenina. Very good discussion, one of the best we've had.

11:30--Lunch. One individual student appt. I was then trying to read two Senior Sem drafts, when an advisee unexpectedly dropped by wanting to be advised for Fall 2013. Um...I don't think the class schedule is out yet? She seems to have seen it, though, and wanted to talk about her Senior Sem, so we talked for a while.

12:40-2:10--SENIOR SEM. Third guy not prepared, and is having some real struggles in life. I tell him it's no problem and we talk about how he can use break to get back on track. He tells me I am a very nice professor.

2:15--Individual student appt.

2:45--Bolt to go pick up Child. And...awkward moment.
    MIDDLE SCHOOL BOY CO-RUNNING PICK UP: Your daughter has already been picked up.
    ME: By my husband?

Get home and Husband's car is not there. (School is 3-5 mins from house and there is only one way you can go.)

Turns out Husband got confused about what day of the week it was and took Child to ice cream, which they sometimes do on Fridays while I grade papers. (Though less often recently since Husband has been sick.)

Husband is feeling quite a bit better today, all of the sudden! Day 143 looks like a breakthrough!

3 new dresses arrived for me from Boston Proper. Tried them on. Like them all. My favorite is this one:
    http://www.bostonproper.com/store/b...Products BP&onSale=&colorFamily=&maxPg=&size=

Read Reckless with Child.

Finished "You Only Live Twice."

Took Child to dance. Read Umbrella. I'm aiming to finish it by Saturday at the latest.

Put Child to bed.

Husband wound up staying up until 3 AM. I find this very annoying. You are FINALLY starting to feel better, so you are going to intentionally go to bed much, much later than you should?

I remind him--at 3 AM, when he wakes me up coming into bed--that as he knows, Thursday is supposed to be my sleep-in day, and make it clear that I do not intend to get up with Child. In point of fact, I need to get up and be out of the house by 9 AM anyway, so it wouldn't be all that much trouble for me, but if he is not going to even TRY to make smart health decisions, then I feel kind of DONE with taking on extra responsibilities b/c he isn't feeling well.

This might not have been my finest and most generous moment. But it was 3 AM.
  7. fascination

that sounds appropriate to me ccm....there are some aspects of being chronically ill that should be bypassed, and one of them can be that subtle creeping of an entitlement mindset
    nikkitta likes this.
  8. MissSongbird

MissSongbird Member

Wednesday 3/13:

Got up early to work on a paper...fell back asleep.
    Went to classes: European Middle Ages II, International Relations, Holocaust
    Performance Practice (Waltz)
    Competitive Ballroom practice: Level 1 (Waltz), Technique with coach (Rise and Fall in Waltz and Foxtrot, Viennese Waltz)
  9. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Today, skate, feel rather sorer than usual at it, stop at UPS store to ship shoes back to dancerman with check for shoes I'm keeping, go to grocery store next to UPS store for rotisserie chicken and second kind of cheese for mac n cheese I plan to make tomorrow, walk dogs, start clearing up yard somewhat including whacking at the out of control climbing roses (without gloves, because I'm smart that way :rolleyes:), feed dogs, walk dogs again, be on computer not working on short story that has a deadline of April 1 which I WILL finish, probably in time to e-mail at 11:45pm on March 31, as these things tend to go, get call from studio, having coaching/choreo lesson tomorrow with visiting coach for what is being termed 'creepy doll' showcase (even though she's technically not a doll, she's a marionette. At some point, must comment on band's FB page to ask just what the heck prompted that song anyway. Also must ask for suggestions on how to edit their song to come in under the solo/showcase time limit.)
  10. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Yesterday was the day of meetings--five of them. Ugh.

10am conference call meeting, in which we use a metaphorical cattle prod on my researcher to try and get him to do ANYTHING! His original research idea didn't pan out (duh. we said that it wouldn't work, but did they listen???), and he isn't too interested in the replacement idea. Can't blame him, but still.

11am meeting w/ statistician. Serious crisis happening with sample. Well, actually, serious crisis happening with population, making the sample...FUBAR. Friggin' great.

2pm meeting w/ section & division director. She does these every six months or so, and they're interesting. Completely free-form, no agenda, no nothing. She just sits and waits for us to talk about what we want her to know about (with our work), and to ask whatever questions we want. Managers were sent out of the room at the end, so we could bring things up with her directly.

3pm meeting with director...more to follow. Very good outcome.

4pm meeting with branch chief, as a direct result of 3pm meeting with director. More good outcomes.

Home. Celebrate. Vodka (ran out--there was only a little), mead (also ran out--also only a little), and rum (did not run out, but had plenty) makes for one hell of a hangover the next morning, lemme tell you! Ow.

++++++++++
    So...good meeting with director. Summary first: I've got a new job for a few months, working with the budget guy and the HR woman to revise and document antiquated procedures. Color me happy. Turns out our director is a process-geek as well...quite possibly more than me...so she absolutely sees the value in it and is thrilled that she's found someone who has an interest and gets it. She's bringing me her books on it.

So, I've never been as forthright with any manager as I was yesterday, with her. I've never even spoken with her one-on-one before. (Except to say hi or some such in the restroom, which is the only time I ever seem to run into her.) I was blatant about things to her. I told her (more-or-less verbatim) that I want a [promotion], I want to earn it, and I'm want to do whatever it takes to get it. Period. I wanted this detail--both because I wanted to do that work, and because I wanted it for my resume. There was more to the conversation than that, but still. It kind of occurred to me, on my walk to her office, that 1)if I was going to own/be held accountable for my weaknesses, then I was damn well going to own my strengths, and 2)I had nothing to lose by being completely blatant about what I want and what I was prepared to do to get it. What could happen? She didn't like it, and I didn't get the detail? Well, I still have a job...so eff it. She responded well to the bald statement of ambition.

New position may or may not be a pay increase (*fingers crossed*). But it will definitely get me a lot more exposure and visibility, and she says she's committed to getting me exposure and visibility with her execs. So...yay.

Need to go shopping for dressier work clothes.
  11. ChaChaMama

5 meetings in a day--wow! I have been complaining because I have 6 meetings this WEEK! (Well, okay. I also had 20 1-on-1 conferences with individual students...but those are different because they are short and very focused: I look at the student's work, I critique, I give back. The student hopefully revises.)

THURSDAY:
    9 AM--Waxing.
    10ish--In at work. Student drops by. Needs letter of rec...by tomorrow. Luckily it is someone I wrote for before, so I can do this.

11:30-1--Academic Planning Committee.

Back in office and dealt with some things that needed dealing with.

I need to think about how I want to handle a situation with this associate dean I need to work with as part of my new job. She is very nice, but she is driving me insane. There are in essence two problems:
    A. She does not seem to prioritize "What do I need to tell CCM right this very second?" and "What can wait until our team meeting?" She sends me e-mail CONSTANTLY throughout the day (e.g., when I got back to my office, there had been e-mails from her at 10:01, 12:46, 1:06). She also puts together to-do lists that have a seriously overwhelming number of task on them...but they are not sorted into short-term, medium-term, long-term at all. So things like "Order lunch for our May retreat" are right up there with "Prepare contracts for people who have agreed to teach FYS." I find this extremely annoying. I also find it annoying that she and the other administrator do not seem to get that faculty are not on e-mail all day long.

B. Sometimes, her emails have a slightly underlying critical tone, e.g., "Two of your faculty members are very anxious about advising in the program [which won't happen until late June, and I'm going to have trainings before then], so *I* helped alleviate their anxiety." I get the feeling that this associate dean thinks she is the head of our team and gets to tell me how to do my job. I am new to the job, so I get it...but she is definitely NOT my boss. I am not her boss either. We are lateral to each other, in different divisions. (If anything, you could argue that I outrank her: I am a full professor; she is an associate dean. Ranks are assistant, associate, full. But that doesn't really matter. The point is that we are lateral and have different responsibilities.)

4--First jog on treadmill since the fainting incident. It went pretty well! Jogged for 40 minutes straight @ 6.1 mph, then walked. 6 miles total. Shower, dinner.

Read some with Child.

Watched part of a Bond movie.

Graded a paper, updated grade book.

Bed.
  12. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Congratulations on moving forward with your plans to get promoted! Sounds great!

And, happy shopping! Though, I seem to recall you don't really like shopping, or at least trying items on in the store. But, there's a lot to be said for the expression - dress for the job you want - not the job you have.
    pygmalion likes this.
  13. ChaChaMama

How dressy is your work, Peaches?

White House/Black Market has some very nice things for work, and excellent sales help. The current catalog has some kind of coupon in it. (I also was offered a teacher discount last time I was there, gearing up for fall semester. Sweet!)

On the other hand, if you need to go a little more formal, I like Tahari suits. (Arthur S. Levine for Tahari, the ones that at full retail might be $200-$300, not Elie Tahari. I once lucked out and got an ASL for Tahari at Marshall's for $50...but even at someplace like Macy's, with sales and a coupon, you can often get such suits for a pretty decent discount.)
    Mr 4 styles likes this.
  14. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

good taste in clothes CCM
    ChaChaMama likes this.
  15. ChaChaMama

Thank you, kind sir!
  16. fascination

thurs...cuddle-a-thon day 5.....more itsy bitsy spider and walking practice...and other assorted wonderfulness....lovely evening of dipping toe into CW dancing...gracious host helped to cushion my ego...to bed far too late

today; last day of cuddle-a-thon...had to stifle urge to sob...but had a lovely day making memories and teaching special secret things...I will miss that little love til next time...will spend remainder of evening packing and de-compressing while son visits and old haunt...he needs to distract himself as well
  17. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Fas, I'm so thrilled for you,,,,and the most adorable one! He is rather adorable.
    Yesterday, Kitchen Designer from big box store arrives.
    Chat, tell him what we are looking to do,,while the Plummer is under the house hammering away at the sagging pipes that produce the lovely water hammer BANG for the last two years...snicker.
    Pick the species of wood, Cherry - check, Pick the color - Honey, check, Pick the hardware, check
    My heart is almost racing, as DH is actually agreeing with me!
    Designer gives us homework for sink, faucet and counter-top. Ok, so I did not know that Corian can melt under my hot pots and pans.
    We get homework done, done and DONE...now 8-10 weeks,,,,and a magnificent transformation will take place in my kitchen! Designer calls back in evening with discounts, incentives, promotions.
    I find myself, smiling while I'm cooking dinner and almost singing...note the word "almost"....better to do that in car, by myself. HA!
    j_alexandra likes this.
  18. fascination

thx...so much...had my phone off all day too b/c he loves to teethe on my phone b/c it has a rubberized cover...but it was a wonderful week
  19. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Said it before; I'll say it again. I want pix of the cutie patootie... and the gnawed otter box. :D
  20. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

It really varies. There are khuube dwellers who wear full suits every day, and others who look like they're homeless. Most people go with chinos/khakis or similar and a decent shirt. The guys mostly wear casual button-down shirts or polo shirts. Jeans are seen very frequently. Some managers are in dress pants and a nice button-down; one manger is never seen in anything other than jeans and a polo, another manager looks like he couldn't find a razor, comb, shampoo, or laundry detergent.

However... The people on the director's staff (in particular the budget guy and HR woman I'll be working with) tend to dress much better. Our director is always in a suit. Because I'll have to interact with her, and other directors at her level and potentially above, I need to step up my game. Dressier slacks, dressier shirts, occasional suits.

Thanks for the tip on WH/BM. A lot of that stuff looks right on the money in terms of how I need to dress. I don't need all that much (one of the benefits of working from home, combined with a compressed schedule). I've got two suits (more if I lose some more weight!), a couple pairs of nice pants. What I really desperately need are nice tops. I always find those difficult.