yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

sat..hotel breakfast...drop son at airport. ..drive to boise....movie and reisling
  2. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Thursday and Friday, the most important things were hair cut and color, and going dancing

Yesterday:

Wake laaaate, for me; after 8!
    Hang out with bff; she, her DH, and I go to lunch
    Supermarket for ingredients for birthday cake for a friend
    Home; cook cook bake bake
    Social dancing, which I enjoyed -- that makes twice in two days, who are you and what have you done with JA?
    Winebar, chat with Blond German Friend, who is bartending
    Home, Z
  3. j_alexandra

samina likes this.
  4. j_alexandra

oops hit reply insted of edit
  5. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Peaches, my DW buys a lot of her work clothes from Coldwater Creek.

Yesterday was the first time in several weeks that we've had decent weekend weather, so it was yard work day. I tried to cut up a tree that we cut down several weeks ago, but the chain on my saw is shot, and then I ran out of gas and I didn't feel like going to get more, so the heck with it. We picked up broken branches and limbs and trash from around the house. We worked on building a planter in the back with some of the leftover bricks we have. In another part of the back, we have some wild blackberry bushes. We decided to build a border around them using rocks. There's tons (literally) of limestone and sandstone rocks in the woods around here, so we went hiking and retrieved some. DW and I were laughing about that: "People in other parts of the country pay good money for these, and we just walk around the woods and pick them up!"
  6. fascination

boise to cheyenne in pretty strong wind.....
  7. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Last several days: Bask in the glory of solitude. It's not that I don't love DS. I do. But it is so nice to have a minute or two to be a person, not a Mom.

Play with new laptop and discover that I really do not like new consumer technology. Irony noted. The first computer I ever worked with was years before Windows even existed, and I was comfortable with that. I am not fond of a computer that auto-downloads apps when it's doing its initialization sequence. Apps. Schmapps. If I want something on my desktop, I can download and configure it myself.

Also get new cell phone and realize that I want DS home immediately. He can figure out how to use it and show me how. I have no patience for this. I just want to send and receive phone calls. Enough with the apps already.

Far less drama than usual between DS and his father, thank God. Until the last day, that is, when I call upon all my powers of persuasion to prevent DS from making poor decisions and to keep the Ex from doing something that will estrange him from DS even further. *sigh* Also conversation with the Ex that leaves me on my knees, praying and calling scriptures to mind. Ex has done nothing bad, for a change,but he is starting to get his comeuppance, and I pray and pray not to exult in his pain. Gotta keep working on that. *sigh* My mantra, that has helped DS and me get through this whole thing with integrity: How you treat people is who you become. Well. That applies to me too. More prayer needed.

DS home safe and sound. He says he's leaning toward a no on his internship. Why? "I don't think I'm ready for all that responsibility." What the?!? This makes me decide that he will go. Responsibility is what makes children into adults, and DS is ready for young adulthood. He can opt out only if there's an interpersonal conflict with his father. But if it's about fear of leading his own project, he is going. Full stop.

DS also plays with my new computer and new phone and generally shows me how much more technology savvy he is than I am. I'm okay with this. Just show me how to get to hulu and how to pick up voice mail, and I'm good.

Other than that, random dancing at home and less random social dancing out quite a bit more than I normally get to, when DS is around. Watch old movies. Lots of rest.

All told, not bad.
  8. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Active Member

Wine and cheese tasting with friends last evening. Next 5 days, nothing but work.:( And watching Dancing with the Stars!:)
  9. pygmalion

Have a good week! :)
  10. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Peaches, my favorite places to buy work clothes are Talbot's, Ann Taylor, Banana Republic, and White House/Black Market. I also like the Worthington and Liz Claiborne lines that JC Penney offers; I've bought several very nice pairs of dress pants there.
  11. fascination

cheyenne wy to home....15 and 1/2 hours...oh yea...cuddle pets.... miss that baby horribly already...but sleep in my own bed tonight will be glorious...only wish dh was not oot...but we will fix that soon enough
  12. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Fasc, your posts about the grandson made me think of this: saw brother and SIL and niece briefly tonight. Kind of cool that niece now has very definite facial expressions, even moreso than just a couple weeks ago. The progression is one if fascinating.
  13. pygmalion

They change very, very quickly when they're little. It's beautiful. :)
  14. fascination

was truly one of the best weeks of my life...I am keeping a journal, because I know he will not remember it...but I do know that I am 2100 miles away and he is still doing the hand motions for itsy bitsy spider and going to the front window....which both warms and breaks my heart at the same time...but we gave him lots of one on one attention and he thrived...and it was sublime for me....priceless....in more personal ways than I can recount...and also fabulous to be away from tv and internet and to simply live like a child ...wonderful
    Purr and pygmalion like this.
  15. j_alexandra

Sunday:
    I'm on a cooking and baking kick, dunno why
    Theater in the afternoon; better than many, and I got onstreet parking, color me happy
    Home, eat corned beef and cabbage and inaugurate the new 1.75l bottle of Jameson
    Z
  16. j_alexandra

Yesterday:
    Go to Ballet; only one other person shows, so she, the teacher, and I go for coffee and talk instead of having class; was great fun and I had a chance to say some stuff to the teacher I've wanted to get off my mind
    Home, more cooking
    Pack box to ship something I am sending to a friend, a chance to use a life skill I never wanted but at which I am massively accomplished, go me
    Lesson, in which magic happens; whazzup with *that* but believe me, I'm not complaining
    Ex has asked politely if I will take him to supermarket; I agreed, largely b/c I'm going to supermarket so what's the big deal; this turns into a classic Ex moment, in which what I thought was one thing he thought was another but did not bother to tell me so and I am out of the habit of asking; by the time he's milked it for all it's worth, I've spent almost 4 hours dealing with him and his BS and I am reminded yet again of why I am no longer married to him, a lesson I needed to remember, or better yet, Just Say No <headwall headwall headwall>
    Get heat list for Saturday; turns out I have all my dancing in one time frame, not divided between morning and night, yay
    Pay bill, sigh
    Heavy icy wet snow begins to fall; I manage to get home before it's dark, but holy cow, it's slushing! Getting up driveway is challenging, and I am the last family member to manage it; both nephews' cars get stuck
    More cooking
    Z
  17. pygmalion

It's easy to fall back int old patterns of interaction, however painful or dysfunctional they may have been. Whatever buttons they pushed while you were married, they will continue to push after divorce, if the button pushing continues to work.

Sucks.

I found it helpful to cut off all communication with the ex for a while, while I figured out what and where the buttons were. Doesn't stop him from pushing, now that we're taking again. It stops me from knee jerk reacting.
    j_alexandra likes this.
  18. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

@Fascination--I'm SO, SO GLAD you got to enjoy some quality time with The Cutest One! And I think that even though he may not remember it, the bond and the trust starts at that young age. My child has always had a special relationship with my Mom, and I think the fact that she and my Mom have slept in the same bed when we get together since she was about 1 year old has really been special for the two of them. She just loves her Nana and trusts her and thinks she is the greatest.
  19. ChaChaMama

I'm way behind, but some of my days have been pretty dull, so catching up on those won't take long!

FRIDAY:
    8:20--Drop off.
    9:10--ENG 1101. Lesson on audience: the importance of thinking about who your audience is, what the needs of that audience are, what assumptions you can make.

I talk to the class about defining words. Students love to write things like "Dictionary dot com defines 'charity' as...." I hate that. I would argue that there is no need to define words that are in common usage...unless you are going to argue against the dictionary and radically redefine the word. (This pretty much never happens in ENG 1101.) I did, however, say that there are times where you can define a word, if it is a word your audience probably would not know. I said "For example, I see YOLO written on Facebook and I have no idea what that means." "You Only Live Once!" one of my students told me. I could have looked it up on Urban Dictionary, but it gave him such joy to tell me. And it illustrated my point: if you know I'm your audience, you can probably assume that contemporary internet lingo might be outside my sphere of expertise.

10:20--GREAT WORKS II. Anna Karenina. Two kids got into an animated argument about Anna and Karenin's behavior after she survives her deathbed, with the female student a lot more understanding of Anna's point of view that her husband is oppressing her by repeatedly and insistently suggesting she shouldn't even say goodbye to Vronsky, while the male student felt that given her adultery, she has to expect this. Loved that they were so energized about it.

Lunch.

2--Meeting with the Dean of Faculty and Associate Dean of Students about the review of the first year program.

3--Drove to Towson.

4:30--Double Nik lesson.

Home, dinner.
    Family Fun Night: Finished watching "Her Majesty's Secret Service." Not the best Bond movie, this.
  20. ChaChaMama

SATURDAY:
    Grocery store in the AM.

Read some The Last Apprentice: Attack of the Fiend.

1-7--At children's dance competition: jazz, tap, hip-hop, lyrical, musical theater, ballet, etc. Child has several friends on the team and may join the performance team next year, so trying to get the lay of the land and a solid sense of pluses and minuses.

Saw some things that I like and some I do not. In fact, one thing bothered me quite a bit, and it was not the cost of the entries or the costumes. (Please. I do ballroom. I'm inured.) Need to do some thinking.

++++
    SUNDAY:
    Read quite a lot of The Last Apprentice: Attack of the Fiend.

Graded 6 ENG 1101 essays.

6.1 miles on treadmill in 1 hour. Go me. I'm making my (post-fainting incident) comeback!
    j_alexandra likes this.