yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

MONDAY:
    8:20--Dropped off Child.

9-3ish--Graded, graded, graded.

3:30ish--Took a break and read with Child.

Dinner.

5:30-8--Graded, felt sorry for self. Some of these re-write papers are such a waste of time. If I generously give you a chance to re-write your sub-par paper, don't just fix a few sentences. Ugh!

The only good piece of news is that I am working in my new downstairs office, which I love...and the cats love too. They are very affectionate and keep me company. :)

Get all midterm grades submitted. Yay. Good to have that out of the way.
  2. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I dunno. I've had some pretty animated arguments with folks about words that I *thought* were in common usage. One word that comes to mind is sympathy. I had a rather vigorous conversation with someone (a well educated someone) who believed that the only accepted use of the word was condolences. When I used sympathy to mean simple fellow-feeling, he and I got stuck. Nobody died; why use the word sympathy?

People can be funny about words -- especially people who don't read a lot. This is not to say that students should write the definitions of commonly used words in their papers. I did that once in Freshman English, only because I'd hit a writer's block and was trying to dig myself out. Didn't work. :)

OTOH, I'm guessing that you know what charity means. ;)
    ChaChaMama likes this.
  3. ChaChaMama

TUESDAY:
    Make list of all the things I would like to get done over break. It's a somewhat daunting list!

AM--Put away two huge loads of laundry.

12--Double Nik lesson.

3--Pick up Child from school.

5-8:30--Child at dance. I write in diary, in which I am way behind. I also talk with another dance mom about the competition and the one thing I saw that I did not like. Also told her her oldest kid is really good!

Home, more food.

Put Child to bed.

Hot bath! Bed.
  4. ChaChaMama

This is exactly the phenomenon I'm trying to work against: the tendency to define a really common word in order to fill space because my students are worried about having to write 3-4 page essays. Many of them seem to have graduated high school with the impression that length is one of the most important features of an essay. Maybe in their experience, that has been true.

It's not true in my class, though. I have repeatedly emphasized that I'm really fine with a 2 1/2 page essay if you've said all you had to say. I am very anti-padding. I am also fine with a student writing 7 pages if they are 7 substantive pages...but if you ramble for 7 pages on the grounds that maybe I'll be impressed by the length, I'm going to be exasperated.

I just want substantive, well-supported arguments. If you are going to argue the SAT is an unfair test and a poor way of evaluating students for college admission, show me statistical evidence. Quote experts in admissions offices who say they don't find it that useful. Etc. Don't quote me the dictionary definition of "fair."

Now, the best paper in the batch made an interesting distinction between what is JUST and what is FAIR. The student did NOT quote a dictionary to make his point, but used his own words and a fantastic example. That's good writing!
  5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

thanks CCM...as small as it sounds, the fact that I taught him that song and the hand motions and that he is still doing it it huge to me, having had to miss so very much...I have done well at accepting that and not focusing on it but it doesn't mean that the sadness and longing isn't there...so the fun we had together and the connection we had this week was affirming and consoling for me and I also deeply believe that it was consoling and warm and safe for him...there are simply no words...and, almost as wonderful; I think his mom saw that too and was welcoming of it....
  6. ChaChaMama

I don't think it's small at all. :)

And I'm just going to add that although I know that the conventional wisdom is that kids don't actively "remember" stuff that happens when they are 1, I think trust bonds built at that age still register on a level that is more primordial than memory.

Also, early memories of special people do tend to stick. I'm 45 and I sometimes forget to pick up a can of tomatoes at the grocery store even when it was on the dang list...yet I vividly remember that my Papa (Mom's dad) used to lick his finger before he turned the page when he was reading to me. Such a little thing, but it stuck with me and that gesture reminds me of him to this day. He died when I was 5, so this is clearly an early memory. I spent a lot of time with my grandparents when I was young.
    j_alexandra likes this.
  7. fascination

thanks...that is my hope...currently the little guy lives so far away, but we did get to spend from 8:15 to 5:45 with him for those 6 days...and I am pretty sure he got the kind of undivided attention for a length of time that is pretty rare ...and my hope is that his mom will actually move closer...which is what she has expressed before...in the meantime, taking the car in for a tune up so that I can go back out in the summer :)
  8. fascination

9. fascination

yesterday; sleep in...clean car, love pets, unpack, do laundry, go to a group class
  10. pygmalion

Thank you SO MUCH for sharing. Is it possible? He's even more adorable than the last time! :)
  11. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Hi, Pygmalion! I've only got my phone to post from, so I'm not going to go into detail here and now, but I'm in training this week with a fantastic instructor so I've been thinking about you all week. Have your ears been burning? ;-)
  12. pygmalion

Hi right back! I've been thinking about you, too! I hope all is well. :)
  13. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Significantly better. Communication has happened, understandings have been reached, feelings have been expressed, and healing has begun.

Also spent an afternoon with girl friends laughing-until-crying, which is always therapeutic.
    pygmalion likes this.
  14. fascination

wed....cannot remember but suspect it involved sleeping in...can only assume that it was largely about getting my home and life back into repair after having been gone so long....did do shopping for the easter baskets of children young and old

thurs...teach an oldies class and get yelled at by a not so nice little old lady who thought the music was too loud....in spite of the fact that it was barely audible for the rest of us in order to placate her...sigh...am sure she spreads little rays of sunshine wherever she goes...anticipate that she will try to report me...oh well...chat with my aunt...dunno what else...off to other job (singing for the Lenten penance service) where I pick up two other events to sing as well...color me happy...home to family time with dh and dtr who came home to borrow car, then alone time with dh...I have missed him so this is very nice
  15. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

I see that the last thing I talked about was Monday. Oopsie. Highlights time:

Tuesday: Lesson; shopping for new shoes for trip to Taiwan; deal with PO over package that was overnighted but did not arrive on time
    Wednesday: Gyro, Rolfer, Lesson, shopping/returning; get refund for overnighted package -- still has not arrived
    Thursday: Bake, pack and ship, spend time on the phone dealing with The Package From Hell, which is delivered late in the day
    Dinner at fave restaurant, which I have not done in ages; a buddy from high school joins me, we set the world to rights, then the maitre d' and I continue setting the world to rights over wine, and let's draw a curtain over the end of this scene b/c JA has not had that much wine in a while
    Z, heavily
  16. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Yesterday:

Lesson, the last before competition, and go figure, there's real dancing going on, shocking just before a comp
    To Blond German Friend, who is making me a non-ballroom dress, she needs to do draping; watching someone who is really, really good at something do what she does well is just fascinating, and she's a couture-trained European designer/dressmaker, not just someone with a serger; this dress is going to be SMASHING
    Home, eat, pack, talk on the phone, rearrange guest room b/c father has company coming, so I need to get my crap out of there
    Drive to comp hotel, and socialize for the rest of the day, some of which socializing is politically interesting, shall we say
    Discover that most of the people I know in the ballroom, the ones who smile huge and say HELLO!!!, are officials/judges; I just don't know that many dancers
    Do my nails
    Z
  17. pygmalion

It's been a while, so just a couple things.

Me: Have a birthday. *sigh* I'm good with birthdays, usually, but things have not been going according to plan, of late. It's not good to be at a low point and a self-assessment point at the same time. *sigh* Also a medical issue that I thought was minor becomes less minor by the day. Why in the heck don't I just go to the doctor and get a shot? I have medical insurance. Good insurance. I also have a healthcare savings account with a balance that's more than enough to cover my entire deductible. Funny. When it's DS who's sick, I'm at the doctor in a heartbeat. If it's me, not so much.

Also spend unusually large amount of time on DF. I am learning SO MUCH about AT and swing dances. I think that it's time for me to delve deeply into one or both. Very, very seductive idea.

DS: Still catching up from the time he spent out of school with pneumonia. He also forgets to tell me about AP test registration until five minutes before time to leave for school on the last day of regular priced registration. This makes on-time registration impossible. (No. I am not a magician.) Late registration costs me $20 extra and does not warm my heart. $109 to take a test that is going to have zero impact on his life. Also un-subtle hints about what he wants in his Easter basket.

DS and Ex on the outs again. This time, it's because Ex has decided that, despite our mediated divorce settlement, DS's passport will reside with Ex. (It's supposed to be wherever DS is.) He's been calling DS every day and demanding that DS mail him the passport, which, incidentally, is in my possession, not DS's. Look. The agreement is between us. So, if you don't mind, would you stop harassing your fifteen-year old? Grr. I have moments when am reminded exactly how much of a favor Ex did me by leaving me. Single motherhood notwithstanding, I think that's the best (and quite frankly, almost the only) gift he ever gave me.

Also my usual political junkie stuff in which I learn a fun fact. Sam's Club employees, on average, make $17,486 dollars a year. Medical benefits only for full time employees. Costco employees average $45,000 a year and have medical benefits, even if they're only part time. If I believed in purgatory, which I don't, I could easily see some decision makers from Walmart corporation after death dragging around the heavy chain they forged in life.

Other stuff, but my new keyboard is such a pain that I create a typo in every other word. I could say more, but I'm tired of proofreading. :D
  18. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

Monday- work, watch dancing with the stars, sleep
    Tuesday-Work, sleep
    Wed-Work, sleep
    Thursday-Work,sleep
    yesterday-work, sleep.
    Today- hopefully dance class if the snow does not cancel it out
  19. pygmalion

Hi sbrnsmith! Good to see you. You weren't kidding when you said this was going to be week of solid work, were you? Yikes.
  20. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

I have 5 days off, so don't feel too bad for me! It does take a day just to decompress, but then I get to recharge myself....so excited and so much planned to do!
    pygmalion likes this.