yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Last week: a blur of b.s. training class, attempting to stay sane while staying with parents for the week.

Saturday: breakfast, nap, trip to B'more for yummy Thai food with friends. Come home and watch 2 episodes of House of Cards. Crash and burn.

Sunday: breakfast, clean the house!, grocery shopping, dinner, finish first season of House of Cards (noooooo!!!!!!), start watching the British version. Crash and burn.

Today: slowly slip and slide my way to the train station, miraculously make it on time. Am the only one. Have important Conversation with acting boss about the practical steps needed for my upcoming job transition. Decide to start new job in four weeks' time, and to take a week of vacation before then. (Well, except for the Wednesday, because I have an important class to attend.) Steadily make great progress on a variety of fronts, mostly clearing up things from last week, tying up loose ends, and getting things back on track. Home, dinner with DH, piddling about now. Will z soon.

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

teach step, pack, pet care, lunch
    drive to indy
    lessons...he may not have missed me but he certainly found me less tedious than usual (note to self; go away more often)
    tequila, doggie bag
    dwts...bed soon

j_alexandra likes this.
  3. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

workout
    patients
    dinner
    download music
    dwts
    sleep

tomorrow CROSSFIT!!

4. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

ftfy

danceronice likes this.
  5. fascination

bank, gas station, lunch, 4 lessons, drive home, dinner, teach spin, take car to mechanic...go horizontal

6. Mr 4 styles

hee hee

workout
    patients
    operate x5
    groceries
    laundry
    dinner
    horizontal also but to watch dwts results show

7. samina

samina Well-Known Member

What kind, Mr4...and in what capacity? :)

8. Mr 4 styles

oohh heck that was todays activitiy

well pretend its tomorrow LOL

9. pygmalion

We're easy. Just check in every so often and you're good.:)

10. Mr 4 styles

:eek:

:)

howdy pyg!!

11. pygmalion

Easy going, silly man.

12. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Monday:

Lesson; deal with competition aftermath
    To DB#1, much conversation while picking up gifts to bring to kiddie cousins
    Pack for trip to Taiwan
    Group class; Paso Doble
    Meet after class with cousins/aunts from other side of family
    Home; finish packing; z

13. fascination

wed...take husband to train...clean kitchen...teach interval...pick up groceries...cook a big lunch...have favorite aunt over....lovely time with aunt and my dtr...pick up car at mechanic...dh enjoys leftovers...tv....bed early

j_alexandra likes this.
  14. j_alexandra

Tuesday/Wednesday:

Drive to airport, leave car at long term offsite parking @ JFK
    Leavin' on a jet plane
    Arrive Tokyo at 3:30 pm which is something like 2:30 am on my interior clock; exchange just enough $ to buy coffee; log on to FB and discover there was an earthquake in Taiwan, but all relatives are fine, no damage
    Leavin' on a jet plane again, except we don't leave until an hour late
    Arrive Taiwan shortly after the earthquake news hits US; I turn on my non-international stupidphone, just in case I can get texts; there are 3 texts from worried friend, so I text back and ease his mind; get text from Verizon pointing out that each phone call I make will be $2 and each text, fifty cents; receiving texts, five cents each; turn phone off, ya think?
    Crowd control means something different in Asia, and my brain is soft and hole-y as cottage cheese after flying for a day and crossing the date line, so I take a bit of extra time to get through Customs and pick up luggage
    Cousin B is there to meet me; it's 11:30pm Taipei time, so the drive to his home is a bit limited as to sightseeing b/c it's, y'know, dark outside; arrive @ his duplex apartment in gated community, have a nightcap, have another, discuss family gossip
    Crash and burn

15. j_alexandra

Thursday:

Wake, brekkie with B, his wife, E, and their 3 children, ranging in age from 11 months to 5 years, these kids are *ridiculously* beautiful, but their mom has been nanny-free for months and it's starting to wear on her
    To Grand Hotel for dim sum lunch; B scores a window table and it's beautiful, even though foggy, but truth to tell, I can get dim sum just as good in Chinatown
    Tour city
    Go to Chiang Kai-Shek memorial, a magnificent outdoor space and a v strange museum to a tremendously successful thug
    Home; nap; can you say "jet lag?"
    Wake, coffee, pile all into a taxi in the rain and go eat at their local favorite restaurant; may I say, I've always loved Chinese food and everyone I know who's been to Taiwan told me the food was extraordinary, well, they were right; have semi-officially died and gone to heaven
    Home, catch up on fb etc
    Z

ChaChaMama and samina like this.
  16. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

Yesterday amazing dance class where we talked about goals for future.
    Today, back to work.

ChaChaMama likes this.
  17. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

I haven't updated on this thread in a week and a half. Here's a highlight reel:

Wednesday, March 20th--Spring "break."
    Knocked a variety of stuff off the to-do list, including sending a sympathy card, sending a vital e-mail to my FYS instructors, 6+ mile workout.

Thursday, March 21st--More of the same, including a dentist appointment and making a pot of chili.

Friday, March 22nd--3+ hour First Year Team meeting. Yes, during break!
    That night, during Family Fun Night, we play "Klingon Monopoly." This was very funny and geeky.

Saturday, March 23rd--Fabulous workout, completing 6.3 miles in 1 hr on tm, a personal best on the year.
    Drove to NJ, then train to NYC.
    Dinner at Ruby Foo's w/Cousin D.
    Child got to sleep over party with Cousin D. She was SUPER excited. An overnight with my 26 year old cousin, who my kid thinks is just about the coolest, most beautiful woman in the world?!? And they got to make cookies and watch James Bond?!? Heaven for Child.
    Husband and I stayed at The Strand Hotel on 37th.

Sunday, March 24th--Big family dim sum brunch @Red Egg in Chinatown--my dad's side of the family. Fun. Got to see some second cousins and stuff that I don't normally see.
    Unfortunately, the day took A LOT out of Husband. By the time we got back to Jersey, he really wasn't feeling too great. I drove the whole way home.

18. ChaChaMama

Monday, March 25th--SNOW DAY! Snow coming down pretty steadily all day, but a very wet snow, and enough of it melted off that I wound up being able to get away without shoveling! :) I finished up a bit of grading, built a snowman with Child. Unfortunately Child and I also had an argument. Le sigh.
    That night, we went out as a family and bought two Palliser home theater seats for our new downstairs rec room. These are going to be amazing!!! So comfortable.

Tuesday, March 26th--Back at work. Office hours.
    To Towson. Double Nik lesson. Particularly productive work on samba.
    ALSO--forgot to mention this, but each of the last two weeks, he has gotten to be a commentator on the local ABC affiliate the morning after Dancing with the Stars! So he proudly showed me his video footage. :)
    Took Child to dance.
    Finished reading Mohsin Hamid's How to Get Filthy Rich in Rising Asia.

Wednesday, March 27th--
    9:10--ENG 1101--Picked short research paper topics, on a topic related to college life.
    10:20--GREAT WORKS II--Finished Anna Karenina.

12:30--Left with 3 students and Child for...The White House!!!
    It was actually the Eisenhower Executive Office Building part of the White House complex, but pretty cool that the college was allowed to send people to this event.
    I drove to the Shady Grove Metro, then we took the train in. (I try to avoid having to deal with parking in D.C.

4:30-6:30--Women's History Month event! They showed highlights from the recent PBS documentary "Makers: Women Who Make America" and then had a panel discussion. The special guests were Congresswoman Pat Schroeder and past president of Brown University Ruth Simmons. Husband pointed out that getting to meet Valerie Jarrett was pretty cool too, as she is quite a high-ranking woman in the Obama administration. We got to sit in the front row. :)

Home around 9. Tired, but a fun day!

19. ChaChaMama

Thursday, March 28th--
    Great workout in AM. I jogged for 40 mins @ 6.5 mph pace, then slowed the tempo for a bit, then back up. This is a very good pace for me, so I felt good about being able to do that.

11ish--At work, prepping for noon meeting.

11:53--Secretary gets text from a dean. I'm supposed to be at the Chairs Meeting. Oh no!!! I was supposed to go to that at 11:30 and forgot all about it!!! (And I set up another meeting at noon.) Tell secretary to tell my noon people when I arrive that I will be right back.)

Arrive at Chairs Meeting to make a couple announcements, in my capacity as Director of FYS Program. When I arrive, they are making carpingly critical comments to the Registrar. I then make my first announcement and it too occasions a big, crabby, carpingly critical discussion. And it takes forever, making me VERY late for my other meeting. Ugh, ugh, ugh!

12:25--Back for my other meeting, one of THREE small group and even 1:1 trainings of my new FYS professors that I have set up. I thought this might be better than a big group setting. I apologize profusely, but I can tell one of my colleagues is quite ticked. Sigh. My whole goal in doing these trainings 1:1, 2:1, or 3:1 was to build good, positive relationships and I now I feel like I've blown it. I do do a good job with the material, though.

I am no sooner out of this meeting than I run into a student--who had come into my office crying her eyes out during my Tuesday office hours--who is nudging me about when we can meet for Fall 2013 registration, as her registration is the night of April 9th. Seriously, does EVERYONE need a piece of me?!? All at the same time?!?

Read Senior Sem drafts.
    1:30, 2, 2:30--Individual Senior Sem appts. 1:30 person has made almost no progress. I think, however, that I have helped him get on a solid path for completion by outlining very specifically what I want him to do first, second, and third.

4:15--English Department Meeting. I love my department colleagues. We have a productive discussion and make some useful decisions. (The anti-thesis of the Chairs meeting.)

20. fascination

ccm, wow...no wonder you didn't have time to post....sounds mostly wonderful except for that everybody needing you at the same time part