yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

SATURDAY highlights:

Went and drove a Mini Cooper at the dealership. Liked it! But not sure about a 2-door car.

Read a lot of The Last Apprentice: Wrath of the Bloodeye.

Watched "Diamonds Are Forever."

SUNDAY highlights:
    We dyed and decorated Easter eggs.

Child had very proudly designed a treasure hunt for us grown-ups using the plastic eggs, so we did that.

We finished reading The Last Apprentice: Wrath of the Bloodeye.

Jogged 6.5 miles on treadmill in 1 hr. Personal best of 2013! Then walked 2 more miles.

MONDAY:
    9, 9:20, 9:40--Individual student appts--except got blown off by 9:40 person.

10:20--GREAT WORKS II. "The Metamorphosis." Great discussion.

Lunch. Read Senior Sem drafts.

12:40, 1:10, 1:40--Individual Senior Sem appts...except got blown off by one of these people as well. Oh, and one of my advisees shoots in during a break in the action to be advised.

2:15, 2:35, 2:55--Individual 1101 student appts. Again, 2 out of 3 show up.

Had a little moment of lightheadedness during the final Senior Sem appt. Oddly enough, I find that elevating my arms helps. I find this curious because when I looked this up on the internet, some people complain that raising their arms causes them to feel lightheaded...I am the opposite. Apparently it can elevate your heartrate. So I guess my conclusion is that my heartrate is dropping, which makes me feel lightheaded, and lifting my arms helps bring it up a bit.

Another student comes by to talk about scheduling problems...not even my advisee and has never had a class with me.

~4-7--Go home and have some downtime. Did do the bp cuff. Heartrate was 50 the first time did it, 52 the second. But I feel much better now than I did during that final Senior Sem appt.

7:30-10--MODERN WORLD. Anna Karenina. Went well.
  2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

tues...sleep til 9, bank, breakfast, walgreens, gas station, 4 lessons, snack, drive home, dinner, teach spin, snack....asleep by 8:30 with sore throat
  3. fascination

doing today now as pillow is calling...teach basic step at 8 and advanced step with intervals at 9...kicked my own butt and a few others...home to lunch and a power nap...clean kitchen, clean car of dirty dance clothes...spend some prep time on some upcoming training, love kitties...couch potato...bed early to head this cold/allergies off at the pass
  4. fascination

thurs.

teach blast...an interesting challenge as there are 50 year olds who still want challenge and 90 year olds whom I prefer not to have die on me...so it is a class that, when everyone leaves happy, has me feeling pretty competent

home to more activity than I will probably remember... including but not limited to the following:

photocopying my certificates for various fitness specialties
    order veggie garden seeds
    order some gifts for dh's b-day
    order pics of cutest baby on shutterfly
    book rooms for my upcoming trainings
    vacuum
    do dishes
    clean litter boxes
    feed animals
    get a variety of piles of clothing ready for good will
    do a lot of laundry
    fold a lot of laundry
    carry bunches of it upstairs
    empty all the trash bins and take the trash out
    1/2 hour cat nap, lunch
    roll ankle, there goes practice
    make quiche, green beans with ham, and mini cheese cakes for dh
    send emails to children about what their dad would like for his birthday (a pic of the two of them together for his office)
    arrange a delivery of dirt/manure so that something actually grows around here this year.....imagine the neighbors are going to love that
    general other tidying up which it seems led from one thing to another until the day was over

watch project runway with dh...pillow time
  5. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

That's going to be me someday... "Listen, missy, if I walk out of this class alive, you didn't do your job!" :D
  6. fascination

:) truly I love them...well, most of them...older people (IME) tend to be less likely to get their underwear in a bunch over small things...sure, there are some who are miserable and have let life turn them bitter, but most of them are just happy to be alive
  7. fascination

okay...doing today now...as I am done

teach bike and bench, cough sniffle, go back to bed...pet care...soak ankle, df, fb....staff meeting...make grocery list, begin reading training materials...

anticipate that the entire weekend will be a combination of reading training materials, practice and yard work....all good in my world...
  8. ChaChaMama

TUESDAY:
    9-11--Office hours.

11:25-12:45--Faculty meeting.

1-2--Skype meeting with new Provost. This went well.

3--Picked up Child.

Read George Saunders' Tenth of December. One story put me in a very contemplative mood.

4:30-6--Trained two new FYS instructors on how to advise.

Had a bite, then off to the heavy hors d'oeuvres reception pre-poetry reading. Problem which I had anticipated: none of the food is Passover acceptable. Even though I am not particularly observant, I am just observant enough that I will not eat stuff on a corn tortilla or on bread, nor shellfish of any kind, etc., during Passover. Glad I ate before I came!

7:30--Poetry reading by Lia Purpura.

Home around 9 PM.
    (Yes, I was home after 10 PM on Monday and home around 9 PM on Tuesday. And some people think professors only work a few hours a week because we only teach 9-12 hrs/wk.!)
  9. ChaChaMama

WEDNESDAY:
    9, 9:20, 9:40--ENG 1101 appts.

10:20--GREAT WORKS II. Finished "The Metamorphosis." Another great discussion. Then started Freud. That went less well. I got the feeling not everyone had done the reading b/c papers were due today.

Lunch, read drafts of Sr. Sems.

12:40-2:10--Sr. Sem appts.

2:15-2:45--Office hrs.

3--Pick up Child.

I read to Child and maybe did something else in here.

7-8--Take Child to dance. She danced; I read.
  10. ChaChaMama

THURSDAY:
    9-11--Individual advising appts, with brief detour to go get eyebrows waxed.

11-12--Drove to Towson.

12-12:40--No teacher...and studio locked, so cannot practice. Went home. Turns out we got our signals crossed, but teacher feels badly about this and is willing to come to my town, at my convenience, to make it up to me. And comp me? Sweet.

1:30-3--Graded papers.
    3-4--First year housing meeting. Being the nice person that I very occasionally am, I give the other stakeholder exactly what she wanted, with the proviso that we may need to revisit if the pilot program becomes universal.

Home. Read a little with Child. Then remember that I saw on e-mail that yearbook ads are due at her school tomorrow. Team ChaCha swings into action and we design an ad.

8:30 PM--6.6 miles on treadmill in 1 hour. Another new personal best for the year! I can't believe I can run for an hour at a 6.6 mph pace. I realize that isn't all that, but this is a big personal improvement for ME, as basically a non-runner who jogs for health. In high school, I remember thinking jogging one mile was hard!
    Shower.
    Chill.

Bed.
  11. ChaChaMama

FRIDAY:
    The dog woke me up at 4:30 AM and then my brain decided it would be fun to go through every single thing on my to-do list that I haven't gotten to and worry about it. Finally drifted back off probably around 5:30 so that I could wake up at 6:30. I had a great dream in that last hour, though, so I'll take it.

9:10--ENG 1101. Very spotty attendance. It's opening day, which is practically a holiday to some students, so I wonder if that is the issue? We did peer review of the paper that is due Monday.

10:20--GREAT WORKS II. Freud. Then intro to Virginia Woolf.

Lunch.

12-2:30--Advised. Also had a second Senior Sem meeting of the week with my weakest student that made me crazy and which I should not have done for the sake of my sanity. Luckily I managed to retain my sense of humor even though this guy made me fall way behind on my appt schedule.

2:45-5--Graded.

5:30--Home. Can we go to the Scholastic Book Fair that ends at 6? Aaaaah, why didn't someone call me??? Drove out to that.

Husband dragging, so vetoed idea of seeing a movie. Child and I read instead.

After I put Child to bed, watched USA DANCE NATIONALS live stream! Quality is excellent. I recommend!!! You can also watch events that have already happened as it is archived. :)

I don't know if this direct link to the livestream will work or if you need to go to usadance.org, but I will try:

http://www.livestream.com/usadance?utm_source=lsplayer&utm_medium=embed&utm_campaign=footerlinks
  12. fascination

saturday...sit on couch, blow nose, cough, read training manual, consume liquids, nap, cough, read training manual, df, fb, cough, watch dh watch various shows, cough, blow nose, medicate, go to bed...
  13. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Last Sunday:

Mostly recovered from food poisoning, go to Jade Market, Flower Market, and Artisans Market, then up Taipei 101 for the view
    Home, birthday party for Baby Gabrielle, who is 1 today; party mostly consists of adults having wine and cheese, but there's a cake, also for adults
    Z

Monday:

Leave for 3-day trip around Taiwan with cousin, eldest child, two longtime friends of Cousin, and their two kids; thank god cousin has an illegally purchased Honda Odyssey
    Drive through mountains -- literally; tunnel about 30 miles long -- to coast, which is mountain/cliff/shoreline; beautiful; stop in small town for noodles for lunch, then into Taroko Gorge for sightseeing and hiking; beautiful beyond words
    Overnight at palatial hotel/spa in the Gorge; the tub in my bathroom is deep, and the water comes from hot springs and the bath salts are free, it's like heaven

Tuesday

Walk to monastery/temple in the gorge overlooking the hotel; I'm gonna stop saying "beautiful" and you can assume it is, b/c it's all beautiful
    Drive mountain road so high and curving, it's the top of the world
    Stop overnight in small town referred to as "Little Switzerland" b/c of terrain and also many chalet-style hotels built there
    Walk to restaurant; a word about the food; Chinese food in Taiwan is not like Chinese food here; I don't bother ordering, I just eat whatever shows up, and some of it is deeply odd, but almost all is delicious and only a little bit is too challenging for me; aside from that, it's all fresh, clean, simply prepared, and even when I have not an idea what I'm eating or it looks like stir fried yard waste with a little chicken, it's delicious
    Back to hotel; no wifi; sit on bed and close my eyes for a few minutes; wake 2 hours later and just go to bed
    Terpsichorean Clod and samina like this.
  14. j_alexandra

Wednesday:

Start coming down out of the mountains, and aren't I glad my cousin is an excellent driver; holy cow, those roads are scary curvy mountain roads
    Stop and visit Spirit Tree, 3,000 years old and huge and beautiful
    Finally get to flatlands; go to Sun Moon Lake, take boat trip, visit temple, back on boat, visit restaurant/souvenir shops, back on boat, back to car
    Back to Taipei; traffic is challenging b/c it's the beginning of a 4-day weekend; Thursday is Children's Day and Friday is Grave Sweeping Day; holidays are different in Asia
    To American Club, where kids go off to the playroom and adults consume adult beverages, cousin's wife shows up, everyone's glad to be reunited
    Home; z
  15. j_alexandra

Thursday:

To small town which is the center of the ceramics industry, and don't I have fun here; omg what beautiful pottery, porcelains, teapots, there's an old town shopping area and I about lose control
    Lunch in art gallery restaurant
    More shopping
    Back to Taipei; cousin takes me to Night Market, which is an outdoor street market with booths and food vendors; it's raining; it's enchanting; we go to teppanyaki restaurant where the owner practically kisses cousin and adopts his daughter, food wonderful, market crowded and chaotic and fun
    Back to apartment, pack suitcase
  16. j_alexandra

Friday:

Leavin' on a jet plane; fly Taipei to Tokyo, Tokyo to Detroit, Detroit to JFK; when I'm not asleep, I read Cloud Atlas, which I recommend *highly* and the time passes quite easily
    Arrive JFK, pick up car from parking lot, drive home, get stuck in traffic, talk on phone -- I have not had phone service for what, 10 days? I have a lot of catching up to do, and continue phone calls after I get home and settled
    Z
  17. j_alexandra

Yesterday:

Jet Lag R Us
    Cook and bake in order to try to get back on an even keel; seems to be working
    Cough a little in the evening
    Cough becomes troublesome overnight; am I bringing this year's Asian flu to the States? Apparently... whoopsie
    Bailamosdance likes this.
  18. samina

samina Well-Known Member

JA, sounds unspeakably wonderful!
  19. fascination

sunday...as it is nearly over...just like saturday...too sick to do anything, should make for truly unremarkable lessons tomorrow
  20. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Ahhhh, fas,,,,,the creepy crud....BEGONE!
    Yesterday - Up early,
    cancel weighttraining circuit workout - really? sneezing doesn't help me or him.
    Laundry - early
    Dishes - early
    Feed roses that are blooming like mad, and they are really confused,,,80 degrees one day,,,brrrr cold the next...poor plants.
    Look up Jet Blue airfares to Austin, make plans to take GS#2 - to his cousins where all four can reck havoc together. HA!
    Deny DD request to pay for 5, count them 5 as in FIVE round trip airfares for her and family to come to California and go to disneyland, in the summer. uhhhhhh, note to brain,,,does she not remember I retired. We will go to her, in the car. wink.
    Pulll out patterns, iron tissue, getting ideas for new smooth dress. I'm not a blog person when it comes to sewing so don't ask. And Larinda continually has to save me on posting pics because I'm lousy at it.
    Phone call from Pro, Pro(s) wife, and his children,,,"heading home on the road from San Francisco Open - what is with the wind? what is the weather,,,,this is alot slower than we thought it would be" Gotta laugh
    Winds are clocking 80 miles an hour.
    Head up to the high desert to take dad to several appointments.
    Stormy rain down here.
    Sun in the pass
    DUST BOWL storm in high desert. Awful taste to it as well.
    Take dad to several appointments and oxygen evaulation - new machine set-up - we go home with.
    He buys me In-N-Out...YES! love it.
    Small talk at his table.
    Leave him feeling good.
    DH calls,,,"if the tractor trailer trucks are overturned in the pass, just stay up there"...."be careful" etc etc etc.
    Really? He doesn't appear concerned when I was involved in earthquakes, floods, mudslides, fires, blizzzards, etc etc etc but driving in bad weather he's all over me. Seriously? I laugh to myself.
    Stop at large fabric store,,,buy lycra. Ok, so I'm slowly starting to formulate a dress.
    Ideas are popping.
    Home - DH has recorded the NCAA final game! - He doesn't care for basketball but I love the Final Four - as always.
    DH watches game with me, becomes so involved in game - I start to wonder...
    WHO IS THAT MAN? ya'know,,,the one sitting in the living room who doesn't care about basketball....
    Oh THAT's right.....the same guy who is cheering for Louisville and jumping up screaming out of his chair.
    Lol, nighty night...what a great game.