yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Tuesday:

Gyro
    Lesson
    Dinner with Samina; we set the world to rights and enjoy ourselves
    Home, meds, Z

Wednesday:

Lesson, in which some really seriously interesting stuff happens, and I feel like a beginner again, and I do not mean that in a bad way; it's a good thing
    Dinner in NY, then theater; show is Motown, holy cow, I loved that music, back in the day; the audience goes gaga, it's interesting to watch father watch show, b/c he does not love that music
    Home, z
    samina likes this.
  2. j_alexandra

Yesterday:

Errands
    Meet with DB#1 to discuss fund raising plans for wheelchair dance
    Lesson, which makes everything I've ever learned insignificant and opens new horizons, and again, this is a massively good thing
    So juiced after lesson, I turn my brain off, consume alcohol and calories and go to bed early, coughing very, very little, color me happy
  3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

fri...teach zumba...teach bike and bench...pet care////symphony=vivaldi, mozart and beethoven....field museum member night....exhaustion
  4. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

fascination--That sounds like an amazing night!!! Which Vivaldi, which Mozart, and which Beethoven? I was recently listening to part of Vivaldi's "Four Seasons." And I used to listen to Beethoven's piano concertos all the time back when I had a car with a cd player.

j_alex--Sounds like some AMAZING lessons.

FRIDAY:
    Wake up to all kinds of breaking news about Boston marathon bombings.

Husband is in new healthy routine. Now that he is feeling better, he has decided he wants to get his weight back to where it was pre-illness and is making healthy smoothies. The problem is, he for some reason chooses 7:40 AM to do this. This is when I always make lunches...and this smoothie making is a big production, for whatever reason. So I wind up leaving for work without a sandwich [or a smoothie, for that matter!]

8:30--Deans and Directors. I think this meeting goes until 10, but I have to leave after 25 minutes because I teach. I am the ONLY member of D+D who teaches at 9:10, so I get to be awkward every single time. Yay.

9:10--ENG 1101. Tips for oral presentations. It goes reasonably well.
    Attendance is spotty. This has been a bit of a pattern on Friday of late.

10:20--GREAT WORKS II. _One Hundred Years of Solitude_.

Lunch break. Run to atm on campus. Donate $40 toward platters for colleague's wife's post-memorial service gathering. (She died of breast cancer a week and a half ago...only in her early fifties. I was going to go to NYC again this weekend to go to Tribeca Film Festival, but will be going to the memorial instead.)

12--Meeting with Curriculum Committee about Transfer Student Seminar. I guess this is a good discussion, but it reminds me yet again of how insanely glacial change is in academia. We have before us a course that everyone thinks is a good idea...but there is some talk of "Is this a change to our curriculum if we add a mandatory course for transfers? I think you need to have open meetings with the entire faculty to discuss this." My counter-point: It won't be mandatory. It will be highly recommended. Students will be enrolled in it, but will have the option to opt out. Well, how will they know that? Are we counting on advisors to communicate that? What if a student fails the course; do they have to take it again? Etc, etc, etc.
    So the course will run as a special topics for a second semester. And I get to run an open meeting or two in the fall. Huzzah.
    1:30ish--Home. Make self a sandwich!

Read with Child.
    Take nap.

We watch half of "The Man with the Golden Gun" for Family Fun Night. Not one of the better Bond movies. We are watching them in order, but none of us are enjoying Roger Moore. Child said 1-5 are the best because of Sean Connery. I love it.

Write in diary and stay up later than I should have watching videos from when Child was younger. (Also some older dance comps, including the Manhattan Amateur Classic dance competition circa 2007.)
  5. fascination

Vivaldi was concerto in A major for strings....not a particulary inspiring piece in my mind ...though I loved the 4 seasons...Mozart was the Prague symphony and Beethoven was the 4th Symphony...on balance, was wonderful as always
  6. fascination

oh...and I left out lunch in the Walnut room...a classic downtown Fields experience....it will never be Macys...never

was a very long day and dh got tired so I had to drive home even though I was tiredas well, b/c dh will fall asleep at the wheel...so I am just now getting up...our daughter and her friends met us and they are sort of late night people (like all college students) and we had to take them back to Evanston before we went home ...so it as an ordeal
  7. fascination

today...because I am nearly done;

sleep in til 9:30...immobile for a few hours...practice music for an event I am singing at the cathedral tomorrow, get in a decent dance practice, nap, spend some time outdoors shoveling cow poo into my raised gardens...pretty tired and sore...going to soak in the tub and probably spend the rest of the evening on the couch nuzzling dh
  8. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Active Member

Fasc, that sounds like a perfect day! Some productivity, some relaxing, and some things you love all mixed in :)
  9. fascination

no complaints....I generally like to be more productive....but it was absolutely neccessary
  10. fascination

sunday...dh leaves for LA...practice...sing confirmation at cathedral...listen to a few friends who are having issues with their pros....really tired....nap...empty trash, do dishes...pretty much nothing else besides keeping the couch warm....and bed will be soon
  11. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

SATURDAY:
    Crunches and 5.5 miles on treadmill in morning.

Went to memorial service for colleague's wife in the afternoon. She was only 51. Breast cancer. Very sobering, and of course brought up all kinds of thoughts about how we don't how many years we are going to get, and am I living the life I want to live? How would I want to be remembered?

SUNDAY:
    Wrote in diary.
    Read some with Child.

Double Nik lesson. A little weirdness at the studio. Both N+N are in new partnerships now. Nik is going to dance smooth, and Natasha standard. I also was not necessarily at my best, for no particular reason. (Felt a little dehydrated and "off.") But a reasonably good lesson nonetheless. Nik's funniest line at my expense, said in a very dry manner: "Wow, you almost look like a professional rhythm dancer." (Meaning "You did that well if you were allowed to step onto a bent leg, WHICH YOU MOST CERTAINLY ARE NOT!")
    [And yes, I know not all rhythm dancers use bent leg technique, but you have to admit, that's pretty funny.]

Oh, and I taught him a new word: "facetious." (Not on purpose, but I used the word, and he wanted to know what it meant. I had really messed up a figure because I was super back weighted and said something like "Wow, let's see if I can do it like that again." Nik replied "You're not serious, are you?" and I said "No, I was being facetious.")

Afterwards, went to DSW Shoe Warehouse to get some new slip on black casual dress shoes. My old ones have become too ratty (frayed, strings coming off), but I have nonetheless continued to wear them...or to wear my overly dress gold Bandolino strappy shoes even if wearing a casual outfit. I got two pairs, one "Spring Step" and one "Italian Shoemakers."

Home.

Dinner.

Dealt with a couple student issues by e-mail.

Read with Child a bit more.
  12. j_alexandra

Friday:

Airport, drop of father at his airline, drop off car at off-site parking, get to my airline (the man behind me in the security line is carrying a roasted suckling pig, probably one of the most surreal moments in my air travel memory)
    wait wait wait; get call from father; his flight delayed over an hour, so we make arrangements to meet in baggage claim in Phoenix airport
    my flight uneventful; his, dramatic
    meet at baggage claim, pick up rental car, count my blessings times without number b/c I can walk at a reasonable pace and carry stuff and nobody's putting me in a wheelchair; this is gonna be an interesting trip
    father drives from airport to hotel; I white-knuckle; this will require Discussion soon
    soon
    to cocktail party at wedding site, 10 miles away; pleasant
    hotel, z
  13. fascination

mon...big step class...enjoying the freedom....lessons= can we stay here forever?...lots of interpretation and musicality...at last...hundreds of thousands of dollars later, I feel like I am finally nibbling at the best part of dancing
  14. j_alexandra

Saturday
    Brekkie in hotel with father, brother, and SIL; we observe a very small boy shake pepper on his bowl of Froot Loops; de gustibus, as they say; we also get into some seriously wonderful family gossip, much laughter and relief; you never know who knows what, was good to get our stories straight
    Relax until 5pm wedding, which is lovely and holds some surprises, go figure, among which are: the cocktail hour hors d'oeuvres are -- get this -- a mashed potato bar and a hummus bar; a DJ who plays good foxtrot after foxtrot after foxtrot during dinner, I was dying to dance and finally got my wish in a most unexpected way; my dinner partner, a total stranger, turned out to be delightful; the mother of the groom (my other SIL) turned out to have mellowed over the past couple of decades, or else she's on very effective meds; the meal was delicious; the freakin' cake was delicious, when have you had delicious wedding cake?
    Back to hotel, Z
    samina and fascination like this.
  15. j_alexandra

Sunday:

Brekkie with family; brother and SIL are flying back to NY, so I give them my jewelry to take with them, as I am staying in AZ for a couple of days, and I don't want to worry about losing the heirlooms
    More family stuff
    Touring Phoenix with father (I drive), stop at Heard museum, where he cases the gift shop very seriously and we have a lovely lunch; it's nice to be warm all the time after the long, long winter
    Back to Scottsdale for more touring, then to airport for me to pick up rental car
    Drive to Tucson, an experience I never, ever expected to have again: driving on an interstate, stopping at truck stops for bathroom/water break, everything I did for 20+ years, it felt so.freaking.normal but different -- without X, I could enjoy it, holy cow, what a realization: I didn't hate traveling, I hated traveling with him...
    Arrive Tucson, find hotel, enjoy hotel's "happy hour" which provides $2 wine and free chips and salsa poolside; color me happy
    Room is quiet and peaceful, I open the window and sleep the sleep of the just
  16. fascination

hey, I like that day too :)...keep up the good work
    j_alexandra likes this.
  17. j_alexandra

Well, since you asked...

Yesterday:

Leisurely early morning, realizing just how much I know about negotiating motel breakfast areas, coffee makers, heating/cooling... way too much
    note to self: no more low/mid-range motels
    To shopping center where studio is located; stop at supermarket for water water water; it's sooooo dry here; market is right next to Ross Dress for Less; score! nice blue longtail Tahari cardigan for less than $40!
    Lessons with out-of-town coach, magnificently useful, many issues cleared up in my head, at least; now to get them into my body
    To airport hotel; check in; return car to airport and get shuttled back to hotel
    Food delivered; am so hungry, I consume enough for 3 people, wtf?
    Spend the night on the phone; one of these days, I need to get (a)new phone and (b)unlimited talk/text package
    To bed early
  18. fascination

lol...just make your chatty friends pay uP :)
  19. fascination

monday was the usual, if I didn't mention it...tuesday was as well...hence the consequent exhaustion today
  20. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Up to the high desert.
    Discuss the InogenOne O2 machine with dad. He doesn't qualify with insurance but it's lighter, better and he can travel in car with it.
    Dad displays how he cannot move his shoulder anymore, take him to chiropractor, listen to him "scream" yikes.
    40 minutes later, note that he can move shoulder again. Darn 02 tanks are killin' his shoulder..
    Discuss his upcoming surgery.
    A wave of relieve that he did not schedule it during Emerald Ball...thank goodness!
    Have to laugh, it's schedule for my dear mother's birthday...Silent smile. Good for you mom!
    Daughter calls, sends pics of her first harvest from her backyard, oh my!!!!
    Homeward.
    To workout with trainer.
    Trainer increases reps to 75. WHAT! WAIT!~ are you really trying to see if I will just give up?
    ugh.
    No walking for me....
    collect my heat sheet from Emerald Ball website. ARRGGHHH! 10:30 p.m. scholarship....seriously? the brain
    screams nooooo we are suppose to leave for Oregon in the evening.
    DH looks at heat sheet. laughs,,,,"your normally in a sleep coma by 9:15 at night, too bad you believed your teacher when he said everything should be done within 5 hours during the day based on his experience"....
    DH notes .....that his wife, ME, is not amused. at all.
    DH bows head, "I'm sorry" then adds, "it will be entertaining just to see if you can stay awake that long, never mind actually dance"
    HMOPGGH! is all I can say.