yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

possibly you hit reply instead of edit...no biggie...I absolve you, grant you pardon and peace...go forth and sin no more :)

2. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

Sunday was a much better day than Saturday. I tried to get some quality relaxing in, as there's quite a bit of meeting related stuff going on during Senior Week, including a big meeting I have to RUN, and I felt like I needed a little post-Finals Week mental recovery before facing that.

Did some more clutter reduction. You can now see the top of my dryer again! (There had been an accumulation of canvas bags from various outings, gloves, tablecloths, cloth napkins, etc. hanging out on top of it.) I have also come to the conclusion that we have an insane quantity of cloth napkins crammed into our tablecloth area....and a lot of the time, we use paper towel instead of napkins of any kind. I'm trying at the very least to get this area organized.

10-12--Read some of What Happened to Anna K.

Lunch.

1:30ish--Child and I took dog for a walk. For part of this walk, Child and I were walking with our arms around each other going "Left, left, left-right-left. Left, left, left-right-kick-ball-change!" It was our dancer march! The dog probably thought we were crazy, but he also didn't care much because he was outside with his people and that makes him so happy.

3ish--Read The Last Apprentice: Clash of the Demons with Child in our new finished basement.

5ish--Husband came home from his 5-day business trip to Dallas!!! We all ran upstairs from basement to greet him. Dog was particularly joyous, so we tried to match the dog's level of enthusiasm by running around the room and jumping our paws up on husband as well.

Dinner.

7:30ish--Put in my 7 miles on the tm, much of it at 6.4 mph. 3 weeks to comp!
    My bunion bone on my left foot was bothering me a bit post-run...and yes, I do wear good running shoes. I think my feet are just of the opinion that jogging and latin dance are both high-impact activities, and that maybe I could take up something like chess or yoga. I pointed out to feet that I spend hours and hours reading and writing, and that they get to be barefoot or just in sneakers or slippers a lot compared to the feet of women who wear pumps to work every day. Feet were apparently unimpressed by this logic.

Oh, I read some of the book that people were talking about on another thread both during and post run: Dance with Me: Ballroom Dancing and the Purchase of Intimacy. It's a good read so far! There are a couple of things I wish the author had done differently, but I am definitely enjoying it. The photos by SDSalsaguy definitely enhance the book in a major way. My own teacher and his partner are pictured on the book jacket spine, and within the book!

[My critiques: I wish the book were a little more interdisciplinary, and looked at things from both a sociology angle and a psychology angle, and I wish there were a little more quantitative data to supplement the qualitative data she gets from her 60-ish interviews. This would give me a little more context for understanding whether the stories of people like Phoebe and George are typical. But I'm also only a little more than 25% of the way through the book, so perhaps some of these desires will be met later.]

Child and Husband had had a major argument while I was running. I told them that I expected them to go more than 3 1/2 hours before having an argument.
    Favorites and least favorites.
    Shower.

3. fascination

sunday...awake and crankypants due to poor sleep...various house tasks..... head to cathedral to sing the psalm...bilingual mass....home to a dinner with an associate of dh's...which I was dreading but which was very pleasant....my week for humble pie...sit on couch til ten....got 9 blissful hours of sleep...holy God we praise thy name

4. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Morning, arrgghhh, ringing in the ear....I know it's from the stress of the last 10 days. ok, so deal with it.
    Morning call from Step Dad - him, "I'm going to call 9-1-1"...me...why? what's wrong? ...him..."my hand hurts, the ice isn't working"...me...."your putting the ice bag on your forearm correct?"...him..."no, I took the dressing off and I'm putting the ice on my incision"....me..."DAD...your only suppose to loosen dressing, and keep ice on your forearm and elevate your hand to mid chest level...do not call 9-1-1 because it hurts, it's suppose to hurt...that is what happens when you have an incision and your healing" him..."oh, I didn't know I wasn't suppose to put ice on the incision, ok then" whew!!!!
    really, the incision is one and one/half inch, arrggghhhhhh.
    DH, very tried, going to be a 'weak day"
    finish the spread of the entire kitchen throughout the house, decide, I'm not putting 30% of this back into the cabinets, it's going by by.
    Watch TV with DH, reassure him - strength comes in progress not all at once.
    We go for slow stroll in neighborhood. This is a victory. First walk.
    DS sends picture of a very pink mens swim shorts he's buying, just to get his dad's ire up. And it works. I HEAR about the pink bathing trunks from DH,,,,,ALOT. lol.
    Relatively quiet day otherwise. Sleep on sofa next to DH, and actually get 10 hours sleep last night...WOO WOO....first time in a long time! THANK YOU!

5. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Went and saw my DBF getting hooded at graduation yesterday. I'm so proud of him :) Now he is truly a PhD :) so happy for him!

6. ChaChaMama

^^ Bravo, stash's boyfriend!!!

What is his field? What was his dissertation on? (We'll take the one or two sentence, layperson's terms version!)

7. stash

stash Well-Known Member

lol ok I'll try to see if I get this right. He is in the biochemistry field. His dissertation was on looking at packaging proteins (basically things that transport dna or rna to the cells) and a protecting agent (a polypeptide) to protect the dna once it is in the cell so it can do what it needs to do. They are looking to use this as possible gene delivery solution for things such as cancer or for alzheimer's. At least in cancer applications, I think, it would be used to target only the cancerous cells and leave healthy normal cells intact (unlike chemo which kills every cell that is replicating quickly) once more research has been done.

As a disclaimer: I am in now way near the science-y fields of study. I am majoring in Studio Art with a minor in Astronomy so hopefully I got this right and didn't mess it up too bad.

8. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

hope he has a patent.. that could be big

9. stash

stash Well-Known Member

I wish he could but I don't think he can't. The major reason being his adviser is terrible. Another grad student who graduated a year ago still hasn't been able to get his paper published because this adviser has been sitting on it and the corrections, and has done nothing with it.

10. Mr 4 styles

he needs to apply on his own and hack out the lawsuit later

TRRUUSTT MEE two good friends of mine patented their Phd work and made millions

one invented optical coherence tomography
    one discovered siRNA's

11. Mr 4 styles

he needs to apply on his own and hack out the lawsuit later

TRRUUSTT MEE two good friends of mine patented their Phd work and made millions

one invented optical coherence tomography
    one discovered siRNA's

12. fascination

as the wife of a patent attorney...i couldn't agree more...and he shouldn't go cheap...a patent is only as good as how well it is written

13. fascination

mon...teach three fitness classes, finish painting bathroom, eat, nap, teach three more fitness classes, eat, apply wine and bengay, go to bed

14. ChaChaMama

MONDAY:
    Child to school.
    Read a little.

Go to work and get some stuff ready for Tuesday's meeting and Thursday's big meeting.

Home at noon, and get a couple more work related things done before taking self to movies in DC! I want to see a couple of movies that are only playing in art houses. I see relatively few movies in movie theaters, but there are two out now that are special to me:

"Midnight's Children" based off the Salman Rushdie novel. Rushdie is one of my favorite novelists of all times, and this is considered by many to be his finest novel. I teach this book in my Postcolonial Literature class, a course I teach every 2-3 years.

"The Reluctant Fundamentalist" based off the Mohsin Hamid novel. I have recommended this novel to lots and lots of people and taught this novel three times in the September 11th and Its Aftermath course.

Unlike "The Great Gatsby," which is playing everywhere, even in my little town, seeing these movies requires travel to a big city. My choices seemed to be DC, Philly, or NYC, so for today, I did DC, which is theoretically closest. (Actual travel time may make this less true.)

I meant to leave at 2:30, but left a little later, and then things did not go great. Hit a lot of lights going through town. Got stuck behind a school bus on a major road with only one late in each direction, which meant we stopped at the end of every driveway. Then when I got to the DC metro, thrilled that I had been able to find my Metro card from the last time I went to DC, it was demagnetized, apparently b/c it had been near my cellphone. Ugh.

So I got to DC a little later than I had hoped, and then was sprinting down the street and turned my ankle HARD. NOT GOOD 3 weeks before a comp. I was able to shake it off for the time being, and I don't think it's sprained, but it's not quite normal either. Definitely some ligaments are unhappy with me. :( I guess I should be grateful it isn't worse.

But...after a moment or two of grabbing on to a post, I was able to keep moving, and I did get to see "Midnight's Children"! (Came in just in time to see the final preview or two.) Mixed feelings about it as a movie, and I would probably only give it a 6 out of 10, but it is an extremely challenging movie to adapt to screen.

Home around 9:15. So the overall outing to see a 2.5 hr movie took about 6.5 hrs. Not too bad.

Communicated with Nik re: lessons and re: ankle. I think we're going to try for Sunday.

15. fascination

ccm...which comp are you doing?

16. ChaChaMama

Atlantic (June 8th).

Then probably Manhattan, b/c I wanted to do Millennium or Manhattan this year. I have skipped both for the last couple b/c they conflict with Child's summer swim, but Husband has missed a couple meets already and will miss at least one this summer, so I think it is okay for me to miss one and for him to be the Parent in Charge. I like to be there for every meet, but I would like to do a bigger comp, and some of them are extremely difficult with my life.

For example, this year, USDSC is not only the second week of school for me and first week of school for Child, but the latin day is also Rosh Hashanah, one of the two holiest days of the year. I kind of wanted to go this year, but...those are some significant obstacles!

17. fascination

I hear you....was just checking to see if we were going to be able to connect...and we aren't

18. Mr 4 styles

DO IT ill be there:D

19. fascination

i MAY see you

20. Mr 4 styles

hopefully each to the correct areas and in the prescribed manner......