yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

he needs to apply on his own and hack out the lawsuit later

TRRUUSTT MEE two good friends of mine patented their Phd work and made millions

one invented optical coherence tomography
    one discovered siRNA's

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

as the wife of a patent attorney...i couldn't agree more...and he shouldn't go cheap...a patent is only as good as how well it is written

3. fascination

mon...teach three fitness classes, finish painting bathroom, eat, nap, teach three more fitness classes, eat, apply wine and bengay, go to bed

4. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

MONDAY:
    Child to school.
    Read a little.

Go to work and get some stuff ready for Tuesday's meeting and Thursday's big meeting.

Home at noon, and get a couple more work related things done before taking self to movies in DC! I want to see a couple of movies that are only playing in art houses. I see relatively few movies in movie theaters, but there are two out now that are special to me:

"Midnight's Children" based off the Salman Rushdie novel. Rushdie is one of my favorite novelists of all times, and this is considered by many to be his finest novel. I teach this book in my Postcolonial Literature class, a course I teach every 2-3 years.

"The Reluctant Fundamentalist" based off the Mohsin Hamid novel. I have recommended this novel to lots and lots of people and taught this novel three times in the September 11th and Its Aftermath course.

Unlike "The Great Gatsby," which is playing everywhere, even in my little town, seeing these movies requires travel to a big city. My choices seemed to be DC, Philly, or NYC, so for today, I did DC, which is theoretically closest. (Actual travel time may make this less true.)

I meant to leave at 2:30, but left a little later, and then things did not go great. Hit a lot of lights going through town. Got stuck behind a school bus on a major road with only one late in each direction, which meant we stopped at the end of every driveway. Then when I got to the DC metro, thrilled that I had been able to find my Metro card from the last time I went to DC, it was demagnetized, apparently b/c it had been near my cellphone. Ugh.

So I got to DC a little later than I had hoped, and then was sprinting down the street and turned my ankle HARD. NOT GOOD 3 weeks before a comp. I was able to shake it off for the time being, and I don't think it's sprained, but it's not quite normal either. Definitely some ligaments are unhappy with me. :( I guess I should be grateful it isn't worse.

But...after a moment or two of grabbing on to a post, I was able to keep moving, and I did get to see "Midnight's Children"! (Came in just in time to see the final preview or two.) Mixed feelings about it as a movie, and I would probably only give it a 6 out of 10, but it is an extremely challenging movie to adapt to screen.

Home around 9:15. So the overall outing to see a 2.5 hr movie took about 6.5 hrs. Not too bad.

Communicated with Nik re: lessons and re: ankle. I think we're going to try for Sunday.

5. fascination

ccm...which comp are you doing?

6. ChaChaMama

Atlantic (June 8th).

Then probably Manhattan, b/c I wanted to do Millennium or Manhattan this year. I have skipped both for the last couple b/c they conflict with Child's summer swim, but Husband has missed a couple meets already and will miss at least one this summer, so I think it is okay for me to miss one and for him to be the Parent in Charge. I like to be there for every meet, but I would like to do a bigger comp, and some of them are extremely difficult with my life.

For example, this year, USDSC is not only the second week of school for me and first week of school for Child, but the latin day is also Rosh Hashanah, one of the two holiest days of the year. I kind of wanted to go this year, but...those are some significant obstacles!

7. fascination

I hear you....was just checking to see if we were going to be able to connect...and we aren't

8. Mr 4 styles

DO IT ill be there:D

9. fascination

i MAY see you

10. Mr 4 styles

hopefully each to the correct areas and in the prescribed manner......

11. Mr 4 styles

be still my beating heart:rolleyes:

12. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Cancelled circuit training right off the bat. UGH, too tired, exhausted and mentally unfit to even be there.
    Walked 3 short walks with DH down the street and back. Success!
    Listened to the wonderful sounds of a hammer pounding out the ceramic tile counters!
    Checked-off the new materials.. My heart soars with anticipation.
    DH and I watch a few recorded shows.
    He actually records DWTS finals last night and we are both deep in emotion with Kelly and Dereks contemporary dance. Beautiful.
    Quiet night...plastic hanging from walls, empty cabinets, no water...ahhhh all is well in this household.:)

13. ChaChaMama

fascination and Mr4Styles--So you two are doing Millennium, probably? I've only been to it once, and it has switched locations to someplace far more convenient since then. This year, however, ChaChaPapa has a business trip (ironically, also to Florida, though not Tampa) over those dates, and someone has to drive ChaChaChild to her JHU CTY creative writing summer camp and to swim practice.

Tuesday:
    Iced my ankle and wrote in my diary.

Put away laundry.

Got stuff ready for work meeting.

1-2--Work meeting where we stuffed folders for big deal First Year Seminar meeting on Thursday and talked about orientation.

2--Library meeting on new technology rich room. It is labeled a "learning space," but apparently there will be no regularly scheduled classes in it. Classes can schedule it for one time use and there will be special events and meetings there. I have all kinds of misgivings about this...but hey, not my job to worry about it, I suppose. I'm just a department library rep.

3--Pick up Child, who is very emotional and also very hot. (It was in the mid-80s and they had recess and PE back-to-back.) Try to deal with that.

Come home and check work e-mails. Two quite unpleasant ones. Fabulous. Deal with one. Point out to student that her very bad situation is of her own creation, and make it clear that her attempt to blame shift a little makes zero sense...but then generously offer to give her one more chance. (I don't want to go into all the details here, but if you knew the circumstances, you would be shaking your heads in disbelief.)

5-8:30--Child at dance. I write in diary and read. Child in much better mood after.

Deal with other unpleasant work e-mail--eating all kinds of humble pie, and quashing the urge to tell the other person to stop flying off the handle over nothing-- and put Child to bed.

Ice ankle.

Bed.

14. Mr 4 styles

im doing it for sure entries etc all in air booked ready to rock!!

15. fascination

yesterday....nothing much worth sharing....taught three fitness classes, cleaned the house, various other unremarkable things...basically too tired and sore to function other than that

16. ChaChaMama

Wednesday:
    9-11--Composition instructors meeting.
    Some chatting with fellow instructors after.

1-2:30--Read Senior Seminar of student who didn't hand it in until exam week. Submitted new grade. Student can now walk at graduation, as far as I am concerned.

3--Picked up Child.

Iced ankle and read Dance with Me: Ballroom Dancing and Promise of Instant Intimacy.
    ***Fascination: Your instructor is mentioned on pages 73-74! I think you would find this book interesting.

While thinking about the book, I did a little calculation of how much I spend on ballroom in a year. That was interesting too.

At some point, read with Child and iced ankle again.
    Took Child to dance. Chatted with another mom.

Home. Put Child to bed. Wrote in diary. I think I iced again.

17. fascination

oh my...do tell...pm if necessary..who wrote it?... I can't hardly imagine him in a book with the word intimacy in the title...lol

samina likes this.
  18. Mr 4 styles

the only reason we keep doing it is i wont let my wife add up the cost

meh... no kids and ya cant take it with ya:eek:

19. fascination

I have added it up...it is sobering....which is why I continue to add it up and continue to scale back...making dh acquire that book on his kindle ....as we are going away and I don't think I can get the book soon enough ...and now curiosity is getting the better of me

20. Mr 4 styles

for me... we have no other major fiscal responsibilities so i dont care... but the mrs is thrifty by nature so she pays more attention