yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

MONDAY:
    9-3:45--ENG Placement exam reading session, with an ~30-45 min break for lunch in there. I read 126 placement essays: 66 between 9-12 (22/hr) and another 60 from 12:45-3:45 (20/hr...since many of these are second reads and you have to see and record whether you matched the other reader, it is a bit slower). I'm impressed with me!

We had a Wall of Fame for particularly memorable or funny things students said and periodically laughed ourselves silly. I can't give specific examples in a public forum for obvious reasons, but trust me. As a general example of something that came up in more than one essay, I will say that several students acted like the history of communication went pretty much directly from sending a letter to Facebook, with no intervening period where there were things like PHONES.

4ish--Home, and pretty much did nothing productive the rest of the day because I felt like I'd earned the right to be a goofball after reading 126 freshman essays on the same topic.

Wrote in my diary.

2. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

worked out in am

patients all day
    skype interview for the new ballroom show
    dinner
    practice with the mrs

then..

:eek:

awesome! but now it hurts to sneeze LOL:D

3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

sunday...no memory of what occurred except I know I practiced twice, went to see the star trek movie with dh and ds...and cooked them a good dinner

mon; teach 2 fitness classes, drive to indy, take 4 lessons, margaritas...try new hotel...one without bed bugs...

tues; 4 lessons, drive home....teach spin.....pretty much useless thereafter

4. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Ok, I'm doing this now, because we are exhausted and this was way too funny not to share.
    DH starts workout while contractor (who is a dear friend as well) arrives.
    DH says, "I'm taking off on errands....without you in the car...and I'm driving"...uhhhhhhh...he smiles and hurries through house while my hands are full of sunflowers, dirt and a shovel.
    Continue cleaning up all the yards and gardens, mulching...which has been sitting, screaming at me to throw it around.
    Contractor busts out power saw, posts for patio to replace the rotted support beams, there is noise, lots of noise, then backyard neighbor is also sawing away, as well as neighbors next door...it's almost a construction concert...of sorts, snicker.
    And the dreaded removal of the kitchen breakfast restaurant booth begins...it's one of those corner lovely cozy booths...was part of the original plan on the block of homes....I photo shoot,,,and text to all 3 kids. They literally grew up at that kitchen table...there are all kinds of memories there.
    And the replies go like this...in this order.
    DD#2 - "OMG!!!I'm going to cry"
    DS - "me too"
    DD #2 - "That is horrible"
    DS - "I sound like a wuz"
    DS - "Holy Moly is that pink behind there"
    DD2 - "No you don't understand. That is the only thing left of our childhood"
    DS - "Do NOT throw out that booth I want it"....
    Frantic Phone call from DS to me..."MOM, seriously...do not let An____throw out the booth...I WANT IT"
    DD#2 - I boycott this renovation
    DS - "hahahaha"
    and finally...
    DD#1 - "For the record...this should be a crime to destroy history like that. It should of gone to a museum or something."
    We and the contractor are laughing at this protest....and finally inform both DD's - your brother will have the booth...if you want to revisit childhood...you need to visit him. LOL.
    End the day picking out a table base, skimming a wall, discovering more hidden wallpaper from the 1950s.
    Go for an almost 1.5 mile walk with DH, his longest walk so far...and he smiles.
    Ends the day saying to me, the wife, "that was almost cruel, sending the kids the pictures of the demolishion of the booth and the pony wall...but it was really funny to read their emotional reactions"
    Humor....always a good way to end the day.

5. fascination

I am horrified...you meanie

6. 3wishes

I know,,"right?" just wait until the grandchildren come into the house and automatically head to the breakfast booth and it's not there.....four sad faces are going to call me "mean" as well...it's their favorite place to sit, eat, chat, homework, crafts...we all have "that" place in the home we grew up in...lol, wink.

7. fascination

I have friends of my children, who would have a stroke if I re-decorated my kitchen...and my kitchen is nothing special...badly out dated, not of particularly high quality....BUT...they would have a fit...given all of that, and because it is cheaper, I am keeping my stinky old kitchen :)...for the foreseeable future

8. fascination

wed...teach a class...pretty much learn that my former boss will probably be leaving soon on not the best of terms....drive to southbend...buy flowers, go to cemetary, drive past my folks former home...have lunch with my aunt...go to nephew's game...nephew asks to spend the night...I am powerless...drive home ...get panda express and do perler bead designs, play hangman...wonder hhow I am going to practice now that I have made this comittment...remind myself that this is very very very important to cultivate this relationship...I will make it work

9. ChaChaMama

3wishes--I tried to steal the "This thread is useless without pictures" emoticon from another board yesterday, but it kept showing up as a red X. But I would be curious to see this booth.

I also apparently was so obsessed with trying to figure out why I couldn't use this emoticon here that I forgot to do my own post.

I forgot something on Monday. I learned that a retired colleague--one of the people who hired me--has pancreatic cancer, stage IV. Very sad and upsetting. I need to reach out to him.

TUESDAY
    9--Some academic reading related to my own area of research. It has been awhile!
    10--Waxing appt.
    11--Get some work tasks done: e-mail all department chairs about academic receptions for the fall, send list of transfer student sem times to the Registrar.

1-2:45--First year team meeting. I wind up taking Advil during this meeting.

3--Pick up Child.

4:30--Leave for dance studio.

5-8:30--Child dances. I read.
    Drive home. Snack. Put Child to bed. Diary.

WEDNESDAY
    Get Child to school. There is some last minute stuff, which drives me nuts.
    Academic reading.
    Research San Diego vacation options. (Flights, hotels, etc. Also possibility of one day stop at Las Vegas Star Trek convention on the way.)

6 miles on treadmill.
    This is possibly not smart, as turned ankle is still not back to normal, but I've got a comp coming up. This is only the second time I've run since hurting it on 5/20.
    Shower.

Double lesson with Nik. I actually wear my proper latin dance shoes, which I didn't do last time because of turned ankle. It goes okay!

Drive home.

6:30--Drive Child to dance.
    7-9--Child dances. I read academic book.
    Drive home. Snack. Put Child to bed. Diary.

10. fascination

am sorry to hear about your colleague ccm...that is very bad news indeed...I hope you are able to make a meaningful connection in time...people like to know that they have had an impact

11. ChaChaMama

For right now, I'm keeping it upbeat and offering to do grocery shopping, walk the dogs, drive him to the hospital if he needs any of this. Apparently he is trying to keep a Positive Mental Attitude so I don't want to go into a mode that sounds like I'm memorializing his impact on my life when he is still hoping to beat this thing.

This guy had the office right next door to mine for over a decade. We flew to San Francisco together for a conference, and have done several interview conferences together, going out to every meal together, etc. We've been to parties at each other's houses. Heck, my best friend--who lives in Queens--has been to a party at his house.

Not good.

On top of that, a 20 year old student of mine--someone who was in my FYS in 2011, and my first year seminar peer mentor in 2012--is being forced to quit her summer job and take Fall 2013 off due to serious health problems. This isn't supposed to happen.

12. fascination

I hear you...he has a right not to be defined by his illness and to have hope..regardless of what stage four pancreatic cancer generally implies...I still think it is always good at some juncture, to let anyone, regardless of their terminality, know what they have meant to us...as to the younger person; right....this is not where justice reigns...and sometimes it really bites

13. fascination

exhausting day with nephew...truly don't have the energy to even recount it....

14. ChaChaMama

THURSDAY:
    AM--Made myself be disciplined and read more of the academic book I am reading. Decided to postpone work-related e-mail until after that...because if you start the day with e-mail, it can stink up your entire life.

Lunch, dealt with the e-mail.

Did some vacation planning.

Grocery store.

Child had meltdown about not being able to find a dress to wear for tonight, with crying. She has several options. She did, however, somehow manage to lose one of her three dressy dresses, which I am not happy about...and she has completely rejected a second one I got her, even though it looks cute on her and she picked it off the internet from several choices I gave her. Ugh. But all's well that ends well. She wore the dress that she wore for Mother's Day a couple years ago.

Child thinks maybe we're supposed to be at Closing Ceremony an hour early. We get there and of course we are the first people to arrive. <Eye roll.> It's fine, though.

6:30--CLOSING CEREMONY.
    How is it possible that my kid is done with 5th grade?!? I feel like the one for pre-school just happened a few weeks ago! It is very sweet to see her with BFFs. She loves her friends.

Child's class sang and danced to "Celebration" by Kool and the Gang.

Afterwards, I dealt with some more work related e-mail including not one but TWO pieces of bad news for the First Year Seminar program. (One professor has decided to drop her first year seminar course. Oh, that's great...because we were counting on you. It's actually not 100% her fault, but rather her colleague's, as he is taking a job at another school and gave her the course...but we are sorting the people into classes on Monday. Thursday is a little late to hit me with this news. Also, the computer program that is supposed to do an initial sort of students into sections based on their preferences isn't working, so we will be doing it by hand. Terrific.)

Uploaded photos from Closing Ceremony. Some cute ones.

15. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Poured metal in my metal casting class yesterday! One of the most exciting (and freaking hot!) experiences in my life! My pictures are too big for here, but I'm adding lots of photos to my blog post today about it!

fascination likes this.
  16. fascination

teach a class, clean house and df...drive to northwestern to attend dtr's music sorority's concert...home just now exhausted...gah...meeting early tomo...but dtr feels loved...and has a wonderful group of peers at NU...mission accomplished...son is also psyched b/c he got to sit 3rd seat at trial for the firm for which he is interning this summer.....life is good

j_alexandra likes this.
  17. ChaChaMama

FRIDAY:
    Make bean salad.

11:30-2--Child's picnic, in the rain. (Nice timing, Subtropical Storm Andrea.) The school has rented three pavillions, so we hang out under those. I talk with the parents of her besties and let Child run free with her friends.

Home.

2:50--6 miles on treadmill, hopefully not making ankle worse, but need to stay toned and conditioned for comp.

4:30--Spray tan.

Family Fun Night Movie: "The Spy Who Loved Me."

Write in diary.

18. 3wishes

Throw mulch, no gloves on, into the rest of garden beds.
    While contractor, hangs shutters, paints kitchen, fixes holes in walls throughout, where we "experimented" ultimately for the experiment to fail. lol.
    Tile picked, items put away, plumbing, oh yeah,,,the new sink! it has to wait.
    Home Depot,,,,odds and ends.
    More exercise throughout house, than I think I've done in decades, DH helps.
    Pick up GS#2 for his dance lesson, hear that the performance at the CalPoly Theater went quite well, order DVD, DH is not allowed to walk uphill so we couldn't go. Enter GS classroom there is a huge poster of him in Mambo arm sleeves with his classmates. woweeee. What a ham.
    GS begs for ice cream after lesson, I give in. Too tired to care, and besides, I'm GM right?
    Note to self, he's grown, dance shoes don't fit, his pants are too short, his legs are like chicken little, shades of his daddy.
    And he's learning the art of "I'm 7, I'll negotiate with you"...lol. Pretty smart,,,,I'm smarter.
    Plow through two weeks worth of papermail sitting and growing. ARGGHHH.
    Unconnected laptop,,,,still waits,,,,in box. sigh.
    long day,,,and oh....blisters on hands. Feel like a farmer for the evening.

j_alexandra likes this.
  19. fascination

sat...staff meeting...one that was actually worth attending....day trip with in-laws to lit fest....it's a book fair in chicago on printer's row...then dinner at trufano's ...a place so italian that there is no menu(because everyone knows what they serve) and you can't pay with credit (cash only, the cash station is in the front of the restuarant), and no sign out front....looks like every other 3 flat in little italy...except for the valets outside and the Peroni umbrellas over the umbrella tables on the side of the place...to bed nearly immediately upon returning home

j_alexandra likes this.
  20. 3wishes

Dh and I, ouchies in the morning.
    Start motoring around house, pick up paint for kitchen.
    I decide, two more closets...two more rooms...and DONE, WELLA....we seriously have an entire closet full of pictures from ancestors, family history and our own lives and travels together. HMMMM major project coming up, I can feel it.
    Reorganize exercise room which also has ballroom closet and sewing machines/supplies.
    Feel,,,,,de-cluttered by 2:30 p.m.
    Sit. Sit still while DH goes for walk.
    Force DH to move items, wine fridge, bookcase, shoe case...(receive winks from DH as he moves things around).
    Head out to Jacuzzi late afternoon,,,ahhhh,,,much needed soak.
    pull back the pool cover for visitors arrival on Sunday.
    Grill lean steaks and salad outside.
    Nix plans to go to movies.
    Watch Hockey Game...poooeeeyyyy Kings. ARGHHHH! As step dad and I call each other about game/during game.
    Small talk with DH about future trips...ahhhh,,,,something nice other than,,,,paint, fabric, floors, trash, donate, keep.
    lol.

j_alexandra likes this.