yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

TUESDAY:
    9-11ish--Put in 2 more hours cutting and sending parts of this Excel spreadsheet with cover letter to the remaining 27 professors and their 27 peer mentors.

Lunch.

Read my own advisee folders. Wow, wow, and wow. Wow! I'm going to be working with some really interesting kids. The first admissions essay brought tears to my eyes. Great diversity in this group too: 4 African-Americans and/or African students (one student is from Ghana), 1 Asian-American student, 2 Chicano/a or Latino/a students, 1 mixed heritage Latina and Caucasian, 2 students of mixed heritage with part-Middle Eastern background (e.g., one student's dad is from Iraq), 5 Caucasians. A lot of economic diversity too. Holy wow.

Whole family took dog on walk.

Read with Child.

6 miles on treadmill.

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

after my monday and tuesday, it is not uncommon that I am too sore too sleep from about 2-4 on most tuesdays...it was 2:30 to 5 today...it will be ugly til nap time...and there is a lot btwn now and nap time.....gurmble

3. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Today: went to an iron foundry, had a cast of my very first court shoes done. It came out freaking amazing. It will be posted on my blog tomorrow. Such an incredible experience to see these people pour 100s of pounds of iron in a day for industrial equipment. We toured the entire facility, seeing how they make the sand molds for the pieces, how they make the patterns out of wood, and seeing how they recycle the sand after they use it! Crazy!

dancelvr and j_alexandra like this.
  4. fascination

wed...teach two classes, spend more time planning upcoming staff training...tan, nails, post office, laundry, pet care, highlight hair, soak in jacuzzi...pretty much it

5. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

rememberable past has blurred, excepting last weekend, when I shepherded a first-time competitor through that overwhelming experience; she was kind of stunned by the whole thing, and it was a powerful reminder to me that not everyone enjoys comps/competing as much as I do

Sunday:

Goddaughter (my BFF's daughter) has a graduation party at my house; she's my father's granddaughter-of-the-heart, they've had a mutual adoration society for her whole life, and she asked him if she could have the party on his porch, and what's he gonna do, say no? She and her mother have promised to do everything, and they by god *do* everything I usually do: all planning, all catering, all cleaning, all arranging, all decorating, all partying, all cleanup. Which is good, b/c, for most of the day, I am still shepherding my newbie competitor through the fallout from her first comp. Around 3pm, I drop her off at the airport, get home, and apply vodka to my jangled nerves. Lots of vodka. So glad someone else was doing cleanup...

<aside: how do you folks who have kids *do* this? caring for and taking care of someone, and watching a not so pleasant experience have an impact on her? how do you do this without having your own distress? or do you have the distress and stink it up? this is all new for me>

Monday: resting
    Tuesday: gyro; resting; theater

samina likes this.
  6. stash

stash Well-Known Member

O and I forgot. A family/litter of semi feral kittens /cat, live at the foundry. So awesomeness+cuteness=freaking amazing

Purr and fascination like this.
  7. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Yesterday:

Paint my toenails, b/c it's summer, y'know? I'm Not Really A Waitress, one of the great colors of all time, red as red can be (I love OPI color names) :)
    Go deal with X, pack and ship, and bank
    Rolfer
    Meed DB#4 for a glass of wine (ok, a couple of glasses of wine) and a bite at a waterfront restaurant I've been dying to try; it's one of the 10 most beautiful days ever, so waterfront is great; we set the world to rights, and then go back to my house and open a bottle of vinho verde, and we observe the Meeting of the Cats.

Elder Cat, a sedate, slow-moving, territorial, demanding, mildly cranky yet fundamentally sweet old ginger cat, has lived with me for over 15 years; I got custody of her in the divorce. She lives in my bedroom most of the time but tonight, she comes out to sit with us on the porch. New Cat (my nephew's recent acquisition, who lives upstairs in the neff's bedroom), a shadow-grey brash punk kid with energy to spare, is outside lying in the grass with his tail twitching and his mouth open, waiting for birds to fly into it. And jumping at the birds, to encourage them to fly into his mouth. Enthusiastically jumping. One might go so far as to say he's *trying to catch one.* Bad manners, I know. But there it is.

On one jump, he sees Elder Cat. She sees him.

I have been putting this meeting off since New Cat moved in, six months ago, since I know that Elder Cat does not suffer fools lightly and at this point in her life, a quiet corner with something soft to shed on, some kibble, a bunch of petting, reliable attention to the litter box, and a place to sharpen her claws: what more does she need? And then... INTERLOPER ALERT: DEMON POST-KITTEN in MY HOUSE?

After this is sorted out successfully, which involves some tree climbing, the nephew removing New Cat forcibly from the porch railing, and Elder Cat going through the porch screen to enter/exit the porch and complain loud and long about how I'm permitting things to get out of hand, (note to self: must repair screen), DB#4 and I kill the entire bottle of vinho verde, watch dance videos, she does my nails (what a joy to have a friend who's a trained, licensed manicurist), call it a night, and I go buy cat food b/c I'm off to Boston in the morning to work at the Yankee Classic.

ChaChaMama likes this.
  8. ChaChaMama

J_Alex--Have fun at Yankee Classic! That's a comp I quite enjoyed, though haven't been able to go for several years as it has fallen on the same weekend as CCC's dance recital.

WEDNESDAY:
    Can't remember much about what I did in the AM, other than that I woke up around 6 AM from a disturbing dream and could not fall back to sleep.

I do remember dealing with a couple of worrisome work e-mails. One kid seems to have rated LAST YEAR'S FYS classes. Um...how did this happen? I wrote an e-mail indicating that this could be a big problem. Turns out there are at least three other students we thought didn't fill out the form at all who somehow managed to fill out last year's form. Later, an apologetic message from my friend in social media in case this is his fault. Etc. A little bit of a mess.

11ish--Leave for studio.
    12--Arrive at studio. Oh, look. 2 missed calls from Nik and a message. Maybe I shouldn't have the radio up so loud in the car that I can't hear my phone ring....
    Transportation problems. I drive to go pick him up.
    ~12:50-2--Dance! All cha-cha. I really want to get better at this dance. Guess what my two best open dances were at the last comp? Paso and jive. I want and need to start my competitive round as strong as I'm finishing.

2:55--Home and fast transition.

3:15--Leave for dress rehearsal. I could be happier with how I did Child's hair (and wind up re-doing it at the venue), but she did her make-up herself and it looks fabulous! Nice job with the mascara, rouge, and lipstick, kid!

3:45--Call.
    4--Hair and make-up must be set.
    4:30--Run the finale first.
    5--Run the show in its entireity. Tonight, Child is in numbers 30 (hip-hop-"Ladies with an Attitude") and 38 (ballet-"Enchanted.") So we watch almost up until intermission.

Upset at end of evening, as I thought we had lost one of the hot pink mesh knee socks for hip-hop...and that routine is in both Friday and Saturday shows. Ugh. Child asks several other kids if maybe they picked up hers by mistake. Nope. Turns out it was wadded up and jammed inside another costume piece. Thank goodness.

9. fascination

you have distress...and sometimes vodka

j_alexandra likes this.
  10. fascination

sometimes being relative

j_alexandra likes this.
  11. fascination

what day is it?....um...teach a class, try to do something with my dad for father's day, but he can't commit without a permission slip from his...um....wife (for lack of the better word)...so he'll probably get his gift in the mail since he can't get off the leash...oh well...too done with it to be as bitter as I sound...drive to indy...pre-comp lessons...I think we are navigating that well...knocks on wood....drive home...tan...begin dh's dinner...will not be long for the world

12. stash

stash Well-Known Member

yesterday: last day of class. bittersweet ending. But I actually got to help with pouring both the aluminum and bronze molds :) That was an experience of a lifetime!

j_alexandra likes this.
  13. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Loved reading this story! Please post updates.

14. ChaChaMama

THURSDAY:
    8--Woken from first decent (=more than 6.5 hrs) this week by phone ringing. It is our next door neighbor. She is at work and the boys (11 and 13, I think) are home alone....the phone cuts off. The weather is awful. My guess is we are under either a tornado watch and she would like the boys in the basement. Husband takes care of this while we have a little breakfast, then we repair to our own basement.

The weather front passes and we resume normal living.
    2:45--Get ready.

3:15--To venue.
    3:45--Call.
    4--Hair and make-up must be set.
    4:30--Run the finale first.
    5--Run the show in its entireity. Tonight, Child is in numbers 33 ("Love Shack" tap production), 46 (hip-hop-"Ladies with an Attitude") and 57 (Jazz--"Hip to be a Square." And no, I don't know why anyone would pick this song in 2013.)

Afterwards, Child is palling around with a family with all 3 girls on the performance team. Warms my heart.

15. fascination

FRI...teach bike and bench...home to coordinate some emails...go to bank, mail gifts to cutest baby in the world, pick up a few odds and ends for father's day and for comp, tan...laundry, pet care, numerous other organizational tasks, cook dh a magnificent dinner (a nice ham, cheese tortellini, green pepper, broccoli slaw salad with honey mustard and pepper, alongside home made corn bread)...pretty much beat...looking at a 9 oclock bed time

16. fascination

doing today now...because, again, I will be useless for the remainder of the day

wake around 8, df
    take dad to brekkies for early father's day...this is not as pleasant as it should be but it isn't his fault
    tan
    home to pack, spot stone gowns, various other house and comp prep tasks....pretty much crashing and burning...been wanting to sleep the last few nights early...but body wouldn't allow it, think I am going to win tonight

17. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Stood in my revamped/resurfaced/reworked kitchen. Overwhelmingly - amazed.
    Cleaned dust from every surface, contractor worked on electrical outlets and new GFI code meeting plugs and such.
    Did I ever really have that much counterspace? We decide the Stilestone counter is perfect in all respects.
    DH and I run about the garden, cleaning, putting away, taking apart the grill and trying to figure out why on earth it is not lighting from the pilot. ARGHHHH.
    Pool time before lunch,,,ahhhhhhh. Gotta get rid of bathing suit lines.
    Check in with DD, GS#1 in All Star Little League Championship Game/2nd Baseman/switch hitter and fielder.
    YES, in fact, 7 years old - uses right and left hand...but likes left handed activities best. COACHES LOVE THIS!
    Tight game, video clips coming in at maddening pace. Tie, tie, tie, every inning runs from both teams occurring.
    GS #1, up to the plate, tie game, bottom of the final inning, winning run on third and two outs.
    HE SWINGS, HE HITS, it goes over everyones head in the field...YEAAAAAAA SCREAM!!!! The winning run comes in and it's madness on the field as the dug-out empties and parents/coaches go wild!
    OH MYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY, We are so completely happy last night....GS calls DH...."did you see?"
    ahhhh, how baseball connects the family,,,,,
    Check entries for Desert Classic...note that there is now a "C" age group for closed scholarships added on June 11th. THANK GOODNESS,,,,love the over 51 scholarship groupings....I'm not whining, it's just my choice.
    Call organizer, switch out age groups for scholarship.
    Start reviewing "flash sales" for cruises....(non-advertised short sales)...There are some great deals out there!
    Connect with Las Vegas Hilton....get room for 3nights/4days for $190 total. YES!!!
    Secretly purchasing Celine Dion tickets for Husband....
    When he clears his Heart Exam next week....This will be waiting for him...(tickets) in a "knew you could do it" card......Looking good going into the evening!!! Until I see the paint cans that is....waiting for me. HA!

18. fascination

sun...make breakfast, give dh his father's day stuff, stone gowns, laundry, gather trash, pay bills, mow lawn. prune the woods from taking over the yard, plant flowers, clean cat litter, pack, organize, nag children to call their father, tan, get gas, get cash, can't remember what else but I am completely beat

19. 3wishes

Up and at it.
    Cleaned new countertop, scrubbed floor, dusted EVERYTHING, again, soaked dishwasher with that Lemon Stuff.
    Painted trim before entry floor gets stained.
    Went through check-off list of everything that "needed to repair or replace"
    *Replaced broken attic door entrance -check
    *Replaced Roof Shingle peak seam - check
    *Rip out entry way pony wall (I've hated that thing for 30 years!) and lay down new hardwood flooring cut to fit entrance - check
    *Upgrade electrical in kitchen and meet code requirements - check
    *Ironwork the rod iron fence to the pool and place new bases at post mounts - check
    *Replace support beams to patio roof - check (whew! what a job that was!)
    *Resurface oak cabinets to cherry wood grain, new doors, handles, new hardware for soft close, change all lower drawers to pull outs with soft close, install one piece countertop, custom kitchen deep sink, demo and rip out all old ceramic tile, install new glass tile backsplash - check, check and double check (incredible smile ear to ear on this one)
    *Replace electrical box at Jacuzzi - check
    *Replace breakfast booth with wood booth and custom lower drawers for racks, pans and cookie sheets.- Check
    *Paint,,,,uhhhh, well that's ongoing as I feel like it.
    Send picture of finished product to at least one DF member - check!!!
    Go after gardens and lawn care - caught up - check.
    Enjoy pool, sun and water basketball with Dear husband....CHECK!

20. 3wishes

Soaked in the jacuzzi, first thing in the morning,,,,as the mere act of walking after sleeping the night...was...to say the least...not my favorite thing to do.
    Neighbor visits...this is nice, ,,,we never had time before to do this.
    Pick up GS#2 early from school, head off to studio for his lesson. He begs to swim afterwards...but I'm just too sore to move...seriously sore.
    Watch GS pick up cha-cha pattern like he knew it all his life...arghhhh....while i work at it. ha!
    Mgs from daughters...pretty funny,,,lighten the day.
    Back into Jacuzzi after a rough Yoga practice...how do they DO that!...like- seriously her arms went through and over and connected and this and that...I'm lucky to balance on one foot! Did the poses I know and tried new ones. Then a class of Zumba...did not care for this teacher,,,she hops ALOT....music was good though.
    Awaken while sleeping at 1a.m. - DH and I both heard something trying to get in. Investigate.
    See nothing. Alarm did not go off. Neither of us sleeps and if it turns out to be those darn squirrels...well....they won't be here for long.;)