yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

SATURDAY:
    5:45--Awoken by cat sitting on my pillow. We try to keep them out, but the two male pets (dog and 1 cat) are very insistent on joining us. Ugh. I had not planned to get up this early when I have a scholarship event at 10:52 PM.

9:20ish--Wind up in a stupid argument with Child--who has rehearsal at 10--when she wants me to do her hair before dance, but only makes the most desultory attempt to look for a brush and then says "Did YOU find it?" It's YOUR hair. Find YOUR brush! Then I do her hair, and she claims that I did the ponytail too tight and it hurts her head. I suggest that she take it out, then, but this also makes her querulous. Sigh.

10ish--Take nap.

10:45ish--Get up and get ready. Drive to venue.

12:15--Hair and make up.

1:30ish--Attempt to check in at hotel front desk. Problem: no reservation and hotel sold out. This is confusing, as I got Package C, which includes a hotel room. I say that this no problem, really, as I live 35 mins from the venue, but if I'm not getting a room, I would like the hotel to give me a refund of some kind.

Turns out they had me for a room on Friday night. I have since done some research, and there was a package with a Friday night room, but I'm pretty darn sure that I got Package C...and I know for a fact that I wrote a check for $315 (early bird special package C) and not $335 (early bird special package B). They manage to find me a room that had gotten a little bit of water in through the window during recent Subtropical Storm Andrea; they had been working on getting the patch of carpet near the window that got wet dry. I say that will be fine. (And I was pleasantly surprised: the carpet didn't seem damp at all.)

Get ready.

3--Family arrives.

3:35-4--10 open singles. 1 2nd (out of 2) and the rest 1st. The 2nd was in the first dance, where I managed to mess up approximately the second figure. Nik razzed me during the results. "CCM! You better not come back here with any more of those red tickets!"

5ish--Closed scholarship. This went well.

Said goodbye to family, as open scholarship is too late for them to stay.

Dinner. Pleasant convo with other dance peeps.

Evening session. Get teased by Nik when he was on the dance floor, in between dances, when he sees me sitting there at like 9:15, still in street clothes. "CCM! You are going to be late!" (He's still in his standard outfit. He just thinks I'm hyper about being early for everything...like showing up for plane flights 2 hours early and stuff like that, whereas he's a last minute guy.)

10:52--Open scholarship. I thought I danced pretty well, but I caught a glimpse of my competition out of the corner of my eye during rumba hitting an exceptionally eye catching line and my thought was "Ut-oh. Looks like trouble." Sure enough, I came in 2nd. That's okay for now, though. Only my 2nd time dancing the open scholarship and I do feel like I'm getting better from comp to comp.

One bad thing: after my scholarship, my teacher--who had been dancing all day including multi-dance championships and scholarships in most age categories back to back, and going pretty all out with his students because he's a good guy--still had three multi-dance events to go. He went outside briefly after my event. Came back and did one more multi-dance, then had to scratch the last two as he was headachy and super nauseous. I think it's pretty clear he was dehydrated.

He did bounce back and was back in the ballroom (though not dancing) within about 30 mins, but that's no fun.

SHOWTIME: Max Sinitsa and Eulia Baranovsky. Also a pop and lock hip-hop dancer. Also Taras Savitskyy and his new-ish partner. (He is a top amateur youth 10 dancer.)

12ish--Back to the room and took a shower.

1ish--Hit the afterparty.

2ish--Bed.

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

doing today now as it is nearly done

sunday

wake crabby because I have to make third trip into chicago in three days ...which came after two days with nephew, going to and from south bend, and also having been in indy the two days before that, and having been in chicago the weekend prior to this...things are crazy at my work, I have no time to practice and I may be going to a comp next week...so yeah, crabby...but the event is a mass marking the 75th birthday of my spiritual mentor, his 50th year as a jesuit, and the 15th year of his ignatian spirituality project which provides retreats doing the spiritual exercises with the homeless ...to witness the tremendous impact that he has had on their lives and mine was truly overwhelming...I left tearfully grateful that we went...we order pizza...I can't keep it down...then I take a nap...spend rest of day accomplishing a few tasks...will finish the day with a practice

3. ChaChaMama

SUNDAY:
    8:30--Wake up. Try to roll over and go back to sleep (since I was at the after-party until 2) but I can hear knocking and "Housekeeping!" down the hall. Even though I put out my own door tag, so I'm not worried about a knock on my door, I can't sleep with this distraction.

So I get up and get ready to go.

10ish--Home. Have some food.

Get to see Husband's photos of the comp. Some good ones.

My favorite:
    [​IMG]
    Bought some thread, as I may try to convince myself that I know how to alter Child's too baggy jazz costume. Grocery shopped.

Wrote in diary.

Sania, samina, 3wishes and 2 others like this.
  4. fascination

great shot

j_alexandra likes this.
  5. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

there is popping and locking ... which did he do?? both??

oh and who was it??

6. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Great photo CCMM, love the suspended in mid-air feeling!

7. fascination

m..teach two classes, take 4 lessons, margarita and burrito...df, fb, field call that my brother is in er with heart attack symptoms...speak with him and they haven't found anything...feel a tad better since i have been through a similar sort of thing...sleep soundly

t...4 lessons, looks like I am going to compete next week...lessons go pretty well...drive home, eat ham sandwiches, teach a spin class....enjoy vids and photos of son's ongoing visit w/grandbaby...sleep immanent

8. ChaChaMama

MONDAY:
    9:30-4:30--Work on getting entire first year population of our college sorted into 32 first year seminars based on their preference forms. They have to rate 7 or more courses on a scale from 1 (yuck) to 9-OMG! (which we then translate to 10).

Here's the challenge. Some courses might have a very small number (or no) 10s, only a few 9s, and really not even that many 8s. The two most popular classes, however, have between 40-50 10s, maybe another 40-50 9s, another 40-50 8s. We are going to need to have at least 10 people in even the least popular classes to make things work. (Classes are capped at 15.)

4:35-4:45--Drive home.
    4:45-4:55--And get us mobilized. Note: When I call from work and ask Husband to have Child dressed for dance as I am going to blow in to pick her up and blow back out, I mean dressed and hair done, and preferably a dry snack packed. She has only been doing this for 7 years....

4:55-5:25--Drive to venue.
    5:30-8--STAGING REHEARSAL. It actually winds up being until 8:30, as we were interrupted by warnings about this event, so they put all the kids in the orchestra pit to wait it out:
    http://www.abc2news.com/dpp/news/region/baltimore_county/confirmed-tornado-reported-near-sykesville

(The show venue is in Sykesville.)

Luckily, everything was fine, other than me eating some Toasted Wheat Thin Veggie Chips that I bought from a vending machine when I realized I wasn't going to get to eat dinner until 9 PM.

Also got first glimpse at the dance class schedule for 2013-14. It's a little complicated to figure out to fit in all the classes and rehearsals required for performance team, esp since some classes at the same level are scheduled concurrently. They also didn't list the teachers in the schedule, which they usually do. Huh. But we'll make it work.

Home. Talked to Assistant Director of FYS on phone.

Was more than a little frustrated trying to figure out how to post part--but not all--of an Excel spreadsheet. Husband had to give me a lesson. Got it, and start sending individual lists to the professors in the FYS program. Quit around 15 minutes past midnight.

9. fascination

sounds like a fairly miserable day

10. ChaChaMama

Fascination--what are you doing up at 4:11 AM?!

With regard to my day...eh. The tornado part wasn't fun, though at least it had a happy ending. And the part dealing with Excel wasn't fun, but that is just because--I'll admit it--my computer skills are weak. Thank goodness I have Husband to straighten me out. Computers are his thing.

The 7 hours of placement work actually felt super-productive, so even though there are some challenges, each time you complete a class, you feel like "Yeah!" And I wasn't working alone. There was a whole team:
    -Assistant Director of First Year Seminar
    -Dean of First Year Students
    -Associate Dean of Student Affairs
    -Director of Student Academic Support Services
    ...and, some of the time...
    -Director of Residence Life (who seemed to be on the same page with me a lot of the time, interestingly enough)
    -Assistant Director of Student Engagement
    I also know that out of these placements will come some friendships that will last people their whole life long. That makes me smile inside. But yes, it is more fun when I can fill a class with all people who gave it a 9omg!

The biggest problem of the day is that there was just too much to do. We weren't done with the placement stuff at 4:35, so I felt torn between my obligation to Child and my obligation to work...and that is NOT a good feeling.

In retrospect, I think this we could have done this a slightly saner way. The Dean of FY Students said we HAD to finish that day. Um...why? Isn't this a self-imposed deadline? Yes, we need to get this info out by the end of the week, but if we finished by noon on Tuesday, wouldn't that have been equally fine?

11. ChaChaMama

TUESDAY:
    9-11ish--Put in 2 more hours cutting and sending parts of this Excel spreadsheet with cover letter to the remaining 27 professors and their 27 peer mentors.

Lunch.

Read my own advisee folders. Wow, wow, and wow. Wow! I'm going to be working with some really interesting kids. The first admissions essay brought tears to my eyes. Great diversity in this group too: 4 African-Americans and/or African students (one student is from Ghana), 1 Asian-American student, 2 Chicano/a or Latino/a students, 1 mixed heritage Latina and Caucasian, 2 students of mixed heritage with part-Middle Eastern background (e.g., one student's dad is from Iraq), 5 Caucasians. A lot of economic diversity too. Holy wow.

Whole family took dog on walk.

Read with Child.

6 miles on treadmill.

12. fascination

after my monday and tuesday, it is not uncommon that I am too sore too sleep from about 2-4 on most tuesdays...it was 2:30 to 5 today...it will be ugly til nap time...and there is a lot btwn now and nap time.....gurmble

13. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Today: went to an iron foundry, had a cast of my very first court shoes done. It came out freaking amazing. It will be posted on my blog tomorrow. Such an incredible experience to see these people pour 100s of pounds of iron in a day for industrial equipment. We toured the entire facility, seeing how they make the sand molds for the pieces, how they make the patterns out of wood, and seeing how they recycle the sand after they use it! Crazy!

dancelvr and j_alexandra like this.
  14. fascination

wed...teach two classes, spend more time planning upcoming staff training...tan, nails, post office, laundry, pet care, highlight hair, soak in jacuzzi...pretty much it

15. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

rememberable past has blurred, excepting last weekend, when I shepherded a first-time competitor through that overwhelming experience; she was kind of stunned by the whole thing, and it was a powerful reminder to me that not everyone enjoys comps/competing as much as I do

Sunday:

Goddaughter (my BFF's daughter) has a graduation party at my house; she's my father's granddaughter-of-the-heart, they've had a mutual adoration society for her whole life, and she asked him if she could have the party on his porch, and what's he gonna do, say no? She and her mother have promised to do everything, and they by god *do* everything I usually do: all planning, all catering, all cleaning, all arranging, all decorating, all partying, all cleanup. Which is good, b/c, for most of the day, I am still shepherding my newbie competitor through the fallout from her first comp. Around 3pm, I drop her off at the airport, get home, and apply vodka to my jangled nerves. Lots of vodka. So glad someone else was doing cleanup...

<aside: how do you folks who have kids *do* this? caring for and taking care of someone, and watching a not so pleasant experience have an impact on her? how do you do this without having your own distress? or do you have the distress and stink it up? this is all new for me>

Monday: resting
    Tuesday: gyro; resting; theater

samina likes this.
  16. stash

stash Well-Known Member

O and I forgot. A family/litter of semi feral kittens /cat, live at the foundry. So awesomeness+cuteness=freaking amazing

Purr and fascination like this.
  17. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Yesterday:

Paint my toenails, b/c it's summer, y'know? I'm Not Really A Waitress, one of the great colors of all time, red as red can be (I love OPI color names) :)
    Go deal with X, pack and ship, and bank
    Rolfer
    Meed DB#4 for a glass of wine (ok, a couple of glasses of wine) and a bite at a waterfront restaurant I've been dying to try; it's one of the 10 most beautiful days ever, so waterfront is great; we set the world to rights, and then go back to my house and open a bottle of vinho verde, and we observe the Meeting of the Cats.

Elder Cat, a sedate, slow-moving, territorial, demanding, mildly cranky yet fundamentally sweet old ginger cat, has lived with me for over 15 years; I got custody of her in the divorce. She lives in my bedroom most of the time but tonight, she comes out to sit with us on the porch. New Cat (my nephew's recent acquisition, who lives upstairs in the neff's bedroom), a shadow-grey brash punk kid with energy to spare, is outside lying in the grass with his tail twitching and his mouth open, waiting for birds to fly into it. And jumping at the birds, to encourage them to fly into his mouth. Enthusiastically jumping. One might go so far as to say he's *trying to catch one.* Bad manners, I know. But there it is.

On one jump, he sees Elder Cat. She sees him.

I have been putting this meeting off since New Cat moved in, six months ago, since I know that Elder Cat does not suffer fools lightly and at this point in her life, a quiet corner with something soft to shed on, some kibble, a bunch of petting, reliable attention to the litter box, and a place to sharpen her claws: what more does she need? And then... INTERLOPER ALERT: DEMON POST-KITTEN in MY HOUSE?

After this is sorted out successfully, which involves some tree climbing, the nephew removing New Cat forcibly from the porch railing, and Elder Cat going through the porch screen to enter/exit the porch and complain loud and long about how I'm permitting things to get out of hand, (note to self: must repair screen), DB#4 and I kill the entire bottle of vinho verde, watch dance videos, she does my nails (what a joy to have a friend who's a trained, licensed manicurist), call it a night, and I go buy cat food b/c I'm off to Boston in the morning to work at the Yankee Classic.

ChaChaMama likes this.
  18. ChaChaMama

J_Alex--Have fun at Yankee Classic! That's a comp I quite enjoyed, though haven't been able to go for several years as it has fallen on the same weekend as CCC's dance recital.

WEDNESDAY:
    Can't remember much about what I did in the AM, other than that I woke up around 6 AM from a disturbing dream and could not fall back to sleep.

I do remember dealing with a couple of worrisome work e-mails. One kid seems to have rated LAST YEAR'S FYS classes. Um...how did this happen? I wrote an e-mail indicating that this could be a big problem. Turns out there are at least three other students we thought didn't fill out the form at all who somehow managed to fill out last year's form. Later, an apologetic message from my friend in social media in case this is his fault. Etc. A little bit of a mess.

11ish--Leave for studio.
    12--Arrive at studio. Oh, look. 2 missed calls from Nik and a message. Maybe I shouldn't have the radio up so loud in the car that I can't hear my phone ring....
    Transportation problems. I drive to go pick him up.
    ~12:50-2--Dance! All cha-cha. I really want to get better at this dance. Guess what my two best open dances were at the last comp? Paso and jive. I want and need to start my competitive round as strong as I'm finishing.

2:55--Home and fast transition.

3:15--Leave for dress rehearsal. I could be happier with how I did Child's hair (and wind up re-doing it at the venue), but she did her make-up herself and it looks fabulous! Nice job with the mascara, rouge, and lipstick, kid!

3:45--Call.
    4--Hair and make-up must be set.
    4:30--Run the finale first.
    5--Run the show in its entireity. Tonight, Child is in numbers 30 (hip-hop-"Ladies with an Attitude") and 38 (ballet-"Enchanted.") So we watch almost up until intermission.

Upset at end of evening, as I thought we had lost one of the hot pink mesh knee socks for hip-hop...and that routine is in both Friday and Saturday shows. Ugh. Child asks several other kids if maybe they picked up hers by mistake. Nope. Turns out it was wadded up and jammed inside another costume piece. Thank goodness.

19. fascination

you have distress...and sometimes vodka

j_alexandra likes this.
  20. fascination

sometimes being relative

j_alexandra likes this.