yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Cruise DF and e-mails.
    Swim with DH early in morning.
    Weed, garden, DH and I rip out Grass that I ruined with the wrong weed killer. UGHHHHHHHHH...tsk tsk tsk.
    Note that Pumpkins are doing quite nicely, thank you very much!
    Head up to Victorville to check on Step-Dad and visit.
    Home from the hill, check out Jet Blue for their air fare sale into April 2014,,,oh wow....I can possibly bring my children and grandkids out to Calif for Christmas! Contact Daughter....asap.
    DH starts prepping car and items for his road trip to Austin,,,he leaves on Wednesday, GS and I will meet him at airport on Saturday!
    DD informs me there will be 9 kids at her home - for the most part. no problem....DH looks at me with horror filled eyes...this is getting pretty funny to me...that is.
    Workout on Threadmill,,,walking slow due to drastic knee injury - getting thorough check up on Tuesday.
    DH and I - read an article that causes us to check the SSA.gov web site...decide to call SSA Monday morning.
    As well, checking for the Ringling Bros Circus tickets after seeing "behind the scenes" of their new tour, a much more modern version of the Circus with a dance focus. Gotta take the Grandchild... a Circus is like a rite of passage!
    Feeling queasy in evening,,,yucky sick all night...and I do mean...all night.
    Hit the hay, at 4:30 a.m.
    DH covers me up, says stay in bed,,,he motors around the house doing everything he can...so that I don't.
    ahhhhh I love this man.

2. TemptressToo

TemptressToo Member

Woke up at 8 a.m.
    Dressed for Sunday school.
    Drove close to Sunday school location.
    Purchased a latte at McDonalds.
    Drove to actually Sunday school.
    Attended young couples class.
    Attended morning worship.
    Returned home.
    Combined pork roast, cream of mushroom soup, potatoes, carrots, onion in slow cooker...set to low.
    Changed into my favorite yellow dress and flip flops.
    Put up hair.
    Put up 5 year old's hair.
    Returned to vehicle and drove 1.5 hours to USA Dance event.
    Changed into beloved ballroom shoes.
    Danced and danced while entertaining daughter in between partners.
    Did a really wicked bolero with great lead.
    Loved how good a great lead can make you look.
    Changed into flipflops.
    Returned to vehicle.
    Drove 1.5 hours home.
    Kissed spouse.
    Combined rice, chicken stock, and Parmesan into risotto.
    Ate pork roast, vegetables and risotto while watching movie, "Hansel & Gretel."
    Went to "bed"

3. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

This is the way we paint the walls, paint the walls..paint the walls, this is the way we paint the walls so early Thursday...morningggggggggggggg...tadaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Mr 4 styles likes this.
  4. Lioness

Lioness Well-Known Member

Saturday...

Alarm goes off at 6am...naturally I turn it off and lie in bed for another half hour.
    Up...skip shower, throw on work uniform, drive to work in the HAIL. Winter SUCKS.
    Work for 6 hours. Get approval from boss to cover my shift tomorrow and get a sick certificate, because sinus infections are no fun.

Work to mum's house. Spend three hours configuring a budget for now and then a post-speeding fine budget. This is gonna be pretty tough to stick to, TBH. It's a generous budget, but I think I maybe need to allocate $20 a week to a "whatever you want to spend it on" fund. At the moment everything spare is going to savings.

Go to check credit card status, and find out that the bank has linked it (online banking style) with my childhood savings account. That I forgot I had.
    It seems that since I turned 18 (2.5 years ago) they've been taking out $5 a month in bank fees. Without telling. This started off as an account I've been saving in since I was a kid. Never used to have fees. None of the other accounts I have take out fees because I'm a student. If I'd known that, well, I would've taken out the money and put it in a different account. I'm now $500 richer than I was, but I could've been about $700 richer. Mum and I are gonna go in to a branch and see if they can do something about it.

Finish budget, go to local "drop-in" doctors that are usually pretty fast because they're more expensive than the other drop-in doctor if you don't have a government healthcare card. Expected waiting time of 90 minutes. Damn.
    Get through doctors. Get sick cert.

FINALLY go home...at 7pm...I hate being out of my house for more than 12 hours. Thankfully I have persuaded BF into buying and making dinner today, so I only have to do the dishes, not try to juggle dishes, cooking, and cleaning at the same time. Thankfully.

Finish watching Elementary. This show is amazing.
    Sleep.

5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

Lio...yep...those deductions that are never mentioned are a total screw..

a brief summary, as I cannot remember how long it has been;

basic highlights have been that I conducted the first staff training for our department ...and that has been a mountain of work...but all very good...

was also at VA state and was able to connect with some DC dfers which was wonderful albeit far too brief...mainly now recovering from the trip and playing catch up to the rest of my life...and I don't anticipate a bit of peace until after USDC

6. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

concur

7. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Fugeddabout trying to remember when I last posted. I could look it up, but why?

The cool bits:

Went to VA Dancesport to watch Fasc and meet other DFers. Mission accomplished. Also got me out of the heat wave and into air conditioning. Win.
    Just in case you were wondering, Fasc was wonderful and a pleasure to see her dance.

8. j_alexandra

Other than that, there were some massages (poor me, I know) and some shopping and some ethereal, life-changing moments.

Sunday:

Collapse and recharge

9. j_alexandra

Monday:

Unexpected lesson; Teach was supposed to be out of town, but things changed; lesson reflects new knowledge and perceptions gleaned over the weekend, color me happy

Sania likes this.
  10. fascination

glad it was good...thank you for being my gatorade runner, ice bearer, massage therapist, etc

j_alexandra likes this.
  11. Sania

Sania Active Member

Welcome back - I've missed your posts!

Back to lurking...

j_alexandra and fascination like this.
  12. fascination

gah...let's just sum this whole week up under the description of: busy beyond comprehension... then maybe this weekend I can find the time to elaborate

13. j_alexandra

Tuesday:

Gyro teacher away, boo
    Teach cancels lesson at last minute; double boo
    JA is bereft and adrift until
    Rolfer!

14. j_alexandra

Yesterday:

Lesson, in which Teach yells at me a lot; DB#1 comes in a bit early for her lesson and hears him screaming and stomping; DB#1 does not know what to think and fears for my state of mind; she actually leaves the building to wait outside in order not to humiliate me; we later have a conversation about it, b/c she was truly distressed and wanted to be helpful; I've been telling her for years that she and I have completely different teachers, they happen to be the same man and no, I was not distressed, I'm used to it and there is no malice or anger in it, it's just loud
    Home; long conversation with old friend who has moved far away and now may be moving closer, some time in the next year, yay, lots of catching up to do
    Travel planning; am going to London and Belgium in early September
    Theater, Cirque du Soleil; this involves driving to Brooklyn, not my favorite drive, but I love CduS and this show is smashingly wonderful
    Home, Z in the ridiculously wonderful cool, dry breeze; every window I have is open to air, and it's a fabulous sleeping night

samina likes this.
  15. fascination

sat...work, again(this is getting old)...son is home for a visit...lunch with a buddy ...second time this week I have managed to insert some friendship into my life...imagine that....home to a nap because everyone else is asleep...cook a good meal, hose down the dog and brush him, play "big bang theory" game, drink wine and enjoy chiminea.....

16. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

"Chiminea" was a new word for me, fascination, so thank you for helping with my continuing education!

Purr and fascination like this.
  17. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

I haven't posted an update on this thread since July 1, so here's July in 1000 words or less:

July 1--Husband came down to my office to tell me that he had just been downsized from his main job, the one where he has an impressive title and earns a six figure salary. It's not his fault in any way; they just decided to trim senior administrators. He has four other jobs where he works part time, and he makes decent money from those, and I have a good job as well, but even so, not the best of all possible starts to the month.

I accept this news with relative equanimity and prepare to downgrade discretionary spending. Decide that after Manhattan Dancesport, I will give up pro-am until 2014. Decide to be grateful that I have been able to have the teacher of my dreams for this season of my life.

July 2--I put Husband and Child on my benefits at work. This is somehow more painful than the day before.

July 3--Out of the blue, someone headhunts Husband for another job and says they really want him. Husband assumed that this person had heard what had happened and was reaching out sympathetically because of that, but it turned out to be a coincidence. Process set in motion. So this may change everything, or it may not...need to find out about pay, etc. Everything up in the air.

July 5-7--MANHATTAN DANCESPORT CHAMPIONSHIPS. Put everything out of my mind so I could enjoy the comp. Over the course of this weekend, get to spend time with five of my closest ten friends in the world. Drove to NJ and took the train into NYC with DN, whom I have known since college and is my most truly intellectual friend in the world. Spent a nice chunk of Saturday with ED, who came to watch me dance! Had brunch on Sunday with my BFF whom I have known since age 3 and with NN, another college friend who was also my first college boyfriend and who continues to amaze me with his political insight and idealism. Amazingly rejuvenating to spend time with these special people...and with my wonderful dance teacher.

My results were weird: I did worse in closed than I had anticipated, but better in open, making the first cut in a very, very competitive open latin final (including several couples from Russia) and placing 16th overall. I also placed 2/3/2/2/2 in my open silver single dances earlier in the day (out of 5 couples). Pretty pleased with that. This is only the third comp I have danced the open scholarship.

Teacher went all out for me and his other open student. I am so lucky to have gotten the opportunity to dance with someone so passionate and committed.

July 8-12--It's confirmed: Husband got new job! Pay not as high as old job, but pretty robust. Relieved!

Child has final week of amazing creative writing camp. We have unbelievable conversations about Shakespeare's Hamlet, Macbeth, and R+J. She is such a little sponge and this camp gave her plenty to soak up.

Having forded the immediate crisis: This week and the next one, I also do some serious soul-searching about the whole question of where dance fits into my life, where work does, where family things do, where money does. I also looked at my entire financial portfolio and our family net worth. I want to take this moment to assess and evaluate my financial situation, my professional and personal goals, and my attitudes toward things like savings vs. spending. Reach some important conclusions. Among other things, realize that I can, want to, and should continue pro-am.

Also this week: learn that Mom has fallen down the stairs and hit her tailbone on every step on the way down. My Mom is 72 and extremely thin, so there is NO padding to help cushion the fall. (She is 5' 7" and maybe 105-110.) She broke her coccyx.

July 11--Child has a sleepover at a friend's house, and we see the movie "Hysteria," which I highly recommend. (I think got it on Amazon or Netflix.)

July 12--"Octopussy" for Family Fun Night.

July 13--Child has swim meet, then leaves for Jersey Shore with sister.

July 14--My 23rd wedding anniversary. I have to work in the afternoon (Parent Preview event at college, 1-3:30), but Husband and I have a nice evening, and also see the movie "Zero Dark Thirty."

July 15-17--Jersey shore with my family.

July 19--Work from 1-9 PM for Parent Preview #2. I think I'm pretty good at this stuff.

July 20--Last dual swim meet of summer 2013.
    Oh, and "Never Say Never Again" for Family Fun Night.

July 22--Return to long backburner-ed academic research project.

July 24--Lunch followed by lessons with dance teacher. Talk about A LOT of stuff: stuff going on with his career (he is in a new partnership), my recent news and soul searching.

Also settle up. This will make you laugh: I tell him "I owe you a lot of money," and at first he says I owe him $125. "Um...no. Most of the money I've paid you so far was for entries and tickets, which you sent to the comp." He then says "Oh! I think it's $425." I gave him a skeptical look. He finally figured it out. It was not $425.

July 26--"A View to a Kill" for Family Fun Night.

July 27--Swim banquet.

I also read a bunch of books and worked out a bunch. This month has made me leaner and stronger in a variety of ways.

18. Sania

Sania Active Member

CCM,

So glad to hear you are making room in your life / giving yourself permission to continue with your pro am!

ChaChaMama likes this.
  19. fascination

glad it has all resolved in good ways ccm

ChaChaMama likes this.
  20. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I'm glad to hear it! :)

ChaChaMama likes this.