yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. Sania

Sania Well-Known Member

Welcome back - I've missed your posts!

Back to lurking...
    j_alexandra and fascination like this.
  2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

gah...let's just sum this whole week up under the description of: busy beyond comprehension... then maybe this weekend I can find the time to elaborate
  3. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Gyro teacher away, boo
    Teach cancels lesson at last minute; double boo
    JA is bereft and adrift until
  4. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Lesson, in which Teach yells at me a lot; DB#1 comes in a bit early for her lesson and hears him screaming and stomping; DB#1 does not know what to think and fears for my state of mind; she actually leaves the building to wait outside in order not to humiliate me; we later have a conversation about it, b/c she was truly distressed and wanted to be helpful; I've been telling her for years that she and I have completely different teachers, they happen to be the same man and no, I was not distressed, I'm used to it and there is no malice or anger in it, it's just loud
    Home; long conversation with old friend who has moved far away and now may be moving closer, some time in the next year, yay, lots of catching up to do
    Travel planning; am going to London and Belgium in early September
    Theater, Cirque du Soleil; this involves driving to Brooklyn, not my favorite drive, but I love CduS and this show is smashingly wonderful
    Home, Z in the ridiculously wonderful cool, dry breeze; every window I have is open to air, and it's a fabulous sleeping night
    samina likes this.
  5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member, again(this is getting old)...son is home for a visit...lunch with a buddy ...second time this week I have managed to insert some friendship into my life...imagine that....home to a nap because everyone else is asleep...cook a good meal, hose down the dog and brush him, play "big bang theory" game, drink wine and enjoy chiminea.....
  6. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

"Chiminea" was a new word for me, fascination, so thank you for helping with my continuing education!
    Purr and fascination like this.
  7. ChaChaMama

I haven't posted an update on this thread since July 1, so here's July in 1000 words or less:

July 1--Husband came down to my office to tell me that he had just been downsized from his main job, the one where he has an impressive title and earns a six figure salary. It's not his fault in any way; they just decided to trim senior administrators. He has four other jobs where he works part time, and he makes decent money from those, and I have a good job as well, but even so, not the best of all possible starts to the month.

I accept this news with relative equanimity and prepare to downgrade discretionary spending. Decide that after Manhattan Dancesport, I will give up pro-am until 2014. Decide to be grateful that I have been able to have the teacher of my dreams for this season of my life.

July 2--I put Husband and Child on my benefits at work. This is somehow more painful than the day before.

July 3--Out of the blue, someone headhunts Husband for another job and says they really want him. Husband assumed that this person had heard what had happened and was reaching out sympathetically because of that, but it turned out to be a coincidence. Process set in motion. So this may change everything, or it may not...need to find out about pay, etc. Everything up in the air.

July 5-7--MANHATTAN DANCESPORT CHAMPIONSHIPS. Put everything out of my mind so I could enjoy the comp. Over the course of this weekend, get to spend time with five of my closest ten friends in the world. Drove to NJ and took the train into NYC with DN, whom I have known since college and is my most truly intellectual friend in the world. Spent a nice chunk of Saturday with ED, who came to watch me dance! Had brunch on Sunday with my BFF whom I have known since age 3 and with NN, another college friend who was also my first college boyfriend and who continues to amaze me with his political insight and idealism. Amazingly rejuvenating to spend time with these special people...and with my wonderful dance teacher.

My results were weird: I did worse in closed than I had anticipated, but better in open, making the first cut in a very, very competitive open latin final (including several couples from Russia) and placing 16th overall. I also placed 2/3/2/2/2 in my open silver single dances earlier in the day (out of 5 couples). Pretty pleased with that. This is only the third comp I have danced the open scholarship.

Teacher went all out for me and his other open student. I am so lucky to have gotten the opportunity to dance with someone so passionate and committed.

July 8-12--It's confirmed: Husband got new job! Pay not as high as old job, but pretty robust. Relieved!

Child has final week of amazing creative writing camp. We have unbelievable conversations about Shakespeare's Hamlet, Macbeth, and R+J. She is such a little sponge and this camp gave her plenty to soak up.

Having forded the immediate crisis: This week and the next one, I also do some serious soul-searching about the whole question of where dance fits into my life, where work does, where family things do, where money does. I also looked at my entire financial portfolio and our family net worth. I want to take this moment to assess and evaluate my financial situation, my professional and personal goals, and my attitudes toward things like savings vs. spending. Reach some important conclusions. Among other things, realize that I can, want to, and should continue pro-am.

Also this week: learn that Mom has fallen down the stairs and hit her tailbone on every step on the way down. My Mom is 72 and extremely thin, so there is NO padding to help cushion the fall. (She is 5' 7" and maybe 105-110.) She broke her coccyx.

July 11--Child has a sleepover at a friend's house, and we see the movie "Hysteria," which I highly recommend. (I think got it on Amazon or Netflix.)

July 12--"Octopussy" for Family Fun Night.

July 13--Child has swim meet, then leaves for Jersey Shore with sister.

July 14--My 23rd wedding anniversary. I have to work in the afternoon (Parent Preview event at college, 1-3:30), but Husband and I have a nice evening, and also see the movie "Zero Dark Thirty."

July 15-17--Jersey shore with my family.

July 19--Work from 1-9 PM for Parent Preview #2. I think I'm pretty good at this stuff.

July 20--Last dual swim meet of summer 2013.
    Oh, and "Never Say Never Again" for Family Fun Night.

July 22--Return to long backburner-ed academic research project.

July 24--Lunch followed by lessons with dance teacher. Talk about A LOT of stuff: stuff going on with his career (he is in a new partnership), my recent news and soul searching.

Also settle up. This will make you laugh: I tell him "I owe you a lot of money," and at first he says I owe him $125. " Most of the money I've paid you so far was for entries and tickets, which you sent to the comp." He then says "Oh! I think it's $425." I gave him a skeptical look. He finally figured it out. It was not $425.

July 26--"A View to a Kill" for Family Fun Night.

July 27--Swim banquet.

I also read a bunch of books and worked out a bunch. This month has made me leaner and stronger in a variety of ways.
  8. Sania

Sania Well-Known Member

So glad to hear you are making room in your life / giving yourself permission to continue with your pro am!
    ChaChaMama likes this.
  9. fascination

glad it has all resolved in good ways ccm
    ChaChaMama likes this.
  10. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I'm glad to hear it! :)
    ChaChaMama likes this.
  11. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Congrats, CCM -- both are sizable accomplishments at that comp!

*ouch* Wishing her a speedy recovery...

Glad to hear things worked out so well with your DH's work and that the closed-door-open-window principle was operational.
    ChaChaMama likes this.
  12. fascination

let's see;

sunday- son continues to visit and we continue to play catch up on a number of tasks...really good to see my boy
    monday-chained to work all morning but it is mostly all good...home by two, no food yet...fall asleep...housework, cookfor dh...asleep early a bunch or errands, teach spin, deal with some local dance transitions...probably going to be in bed early again
  13. ChaChaMama

Wake up to NO POWER due to huge end of the world like storm the day before.

Deliver Child to first day of dance intensive. Guest instructors of the day are Jaimie Goodwin and Alex Wong, both of whom were on SYTYCD.

Run up to studio at lunch to check on Child.

Power goes back on. Husband and I throw out perishable contents from refrig.

Work on 20th C Brit Lit syllabus and course policies and on straightening up office.

Get a few items grocery store.

6th grade math review: multi-digit multiplication and long-division. We do the problems as a whole family, with me, Child, and husband taking turns walking each other through the problems. I decided that if I think it is important for Child to do math in the summer, it is important for all of us to model our commitment.
  14. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Tuesday - Staff Retreat at Watkins Glen State Park, followed by hiking the entire park. Then dj'd/danced with bed by around 3:00am. A busy good day.
  15. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

Nice! I could use a nice hike too. It really is good for the mind.
  16. ChaChaMama

Child to second day of dance intensive. Guest instructors: Tiffany Maher and Thomas Ford.
    Round trip because Child forgot her dance bag was in her dad's car (he drove her home) and the third class is tap, which I believe is less fun without tap shoes. I would like it noted for the record that I am a nice mom.
    12--Convo with financial planner.

1ish--First Year Team meeting. (I was a little late due to convo w/financial planner.)

3--Meeting with someone from math department.

4--Rush home to pick up Husband.

4:30--Back to dance camp...which apparently let out early, so Child is one of the last 10 kids there out of 100ish.

5--To dinner at Child's friends' family's house. They had bean burritos because of Child being veg, which was very nice. They are preparing to move to Fort Lauderdale, FL, which is sad for Child since the two daughters are among her five BFFs.

8--Home so Child can video chat with yet another one of her BFFs. This one is in Connecticut for a month. (Divorced parent situation--Connecticut is where dad lives.) She and this BFF are trying to talk pretty much every night.
  17. fascination

wed; taught three classes, have no recollection of what else trainee taught part of both and I feel good about how that is going

thurs; teach a class and have the first truly enjoyable time that I have had with my dad in a long while in spite of his new wife's debasing comments towards him, which he is actually seeming to now notice and be rankled by...the fog is lifting (a tad late, but good to see it)

fri; teach two classes, have lunch with a bestie, head off to the counseling job where I discover that what was described to me as a very strange dynamic was easily explained once placed in the context of the presence of a child with special needs, and much goodness and grace followed

saturday; wake when I feel like it, thankyouverymuch....putz around, dh goes for a jog and I FINALLY get in a good practice...we then run to the farm market and grocery...clean out fridge, do laundry, continue another round of gown care and re-furbishing...I take great pride in the up keep of my gowns...washing them as often as I do, it is no small task....I washed the one with feathers for the first time...scared the hell out of myself until the feathers started fluffing back up with the blow dryer...dh invited a fellow water board co-worker over for a meeting sunday, so (thanks buddy) I had to do the dishes, mop and vacuum a good portion of the upper level and clean two of the bathrooms...which got my allergies going but iit s always nice to have the place clean...we watch big bang theory and are in bed shortly after 10
  18. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Took more than a few seconds there to get past..."huh? fasc is into water-boarding, now?":p
    j_alexandra, Purr and dancelvr like this.
  19. fascination

lol..yep, no...he is on the town's WATER BOARD.....used to be a civil engineer focusing on water systems, so it is a natural fit
    j_alexandra likes this.
  20. samina

samina Well-Known Member

Yah, I figured in the end it was something like that, lolz.