yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

take loans for the med school tuition... we all do/did.. the dress however may take a little working to earn
  2. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

Yup, planning on it but would like to minimize :) Fortunately I have no debts right now and am currently a master's student with a TA position so I won't be in debt when I start either. I find that prostituting my body for science/clinical trials is a highly effective way of making some spare pocket change ;) . Hopefully I'll have enough to buy a new dress by december!
  3. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Thursday:

Flight to Houston; pick up car; check into b&b
    Music on the plaza at the Rothko Chapel, Cuban band, wonderful
    Coffee
    Blues dancing, more wonderfulness

Friday:

Brekkie @ b&b
    James Turrell exhibit at MFAH; magnificent
    Coffee @ museum cafe
    Wander through the rest of the museum, then back to the Turrell exhibit; am lucky there were no lines
    Lunch
    Stop at shop of one of my former colleagues, and have a nice conversation with him; am surprised, as I swore I'd never willingly enter a gun shop again, but I needed to say thanks for some help he recently offered, and did so
    Dinner with a friend with whom I'd kind of lost touch, wonderful
    Z
    samina and Sania like this.
  4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

tues...lessons...drivedrivedrive...teach spin...out
  5. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

Tuesday:
    10--Opening Faculty Meeting. Surprised and delighted that the first half only takes 1 1/4 hours. (In the past, it has often been more like 2 hours.) Yay for our new provost!!!

President speaks to me afterwards and says he is pleased with the LLCs. I also tell him that I am taking a run at the math placement exam situation and he is supportive.

We are offered a free lunch in the cafeteria, but are instructed not to show up before 12:15 because the students who are on campus early to help with orientation and student athletes need to be fed first to get back to their activities. I decide to huddle up in my office, work on getting key dates in my calendar, and finish reading Kate Atkinson's Life After Life. I manage to finish it. GREAT BOOK! I keep a list of the best books I read every year, and this one is clearly in the top 5. It tells the story of someone's life who dies while being born...but also survives that, only to die as a child by drowning...or survives that, only to die of the Spanish flu epidemic that followed WWI. There are many more variations where she survives childhood, some of them quite interesting. It uses the novel format to illustrate how even small choices we make may influence the course of our lives and maybe even of history. Your housemaid does or does not go to celebrate Armistice Day and does or does not get exposed to Spanish flu. You walk home this way rather than that way and an opportunistic crime does or does not happen. You do or do not meet someone and make an unfortunate marriage choice. You do or do not have a baby. You do or do not shoot Hitler. Atkinson writes very well, creates a very believable emotional landscape (e.g., does not overly sentimentalize the family--the oldest brother is an knat and all his siblings resent him, the mother can be judgmental and hurtful), and makes this alternate lives scenario all the more interesting by having the main character half but never fully "remember" her alternate lives.

1:30--President's State of the College. Among other things, he makes a strong commitment to increasing staff satisfaction and sense of ownership. Interesting. I sit in a row comprised primarily of housekeeping staff, along with a Psychology professor. I wonder what they think of what the Prez is saying.

Home. Do math review with Child. (We're up to dividing fractions.)
    Watch an episode of Star Trek: Voyager with Child as her reward.

Later that evening, she reads me an essay from Star Trek and Philosophy: The Wrath of Kant out loud. This particular piece discusses similarities between Vulcan ideology, eastern philosophies, and yogic concepts. It has a lot of complex vocabulary and I'm sure she doesn't get every word (I don't even think I do!), but I'm impressed that she keeps reading and seems to get the gist. (This was her idea, not mine.)

Write in my diary.
  6. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

For the last few yesterdays,,,,prepping, fixing, repairing and painting.
    The wayward child's room/workout room. DARN that bold blue stripe he painted in there while in high school!~!!!
    It's beautiful now! Texted out to children...picture of wayward childs room....
    Had FaceTime conversation with Daughter - that was fun!
    Planning Alberta Canada Trip...with finish in Salt Lake City,,,,gotta go to family records...especially after discovering 1890 pictures of 1x great grandmother and grandfather. This is quite the hunt...but discover is amazing.
    Spent time with Son...who reaches his 27th birthday this weekend. how time flies...
    Attempting to plan massive family ski vacation and taking all grandkids to ski school...now this is going to take an army! lol. Was asked "why don't you and Son just teach them"...uhhhhhh,,,,because that's just it...we're family and we know,,,on the hill,,,,the last person(s) to listen to you....is a family member.
    Can't wait!
    Watched Grandson #1 get picked up by a 9/10 year old self-pitch all star team....he's 7. They had him pitch. He's never pitched. He struck out everyone!!!! Oh My LORD! Baseball Pro in the making?
    And he's a lefty at that who switch hits.
    Watch Grandson #2,,,attempt Jive. THAT was funny. He nailed Samba though....woweeeee.
    Listened to GDs - 3 and 3 (twins)....have their first outing in Softball, they gave up gymnastics to do Softball. They were the only ones who really whacked the pitched ball.
    Reflective moments while painting room and doors,,,,it's truly fun to sit in stands and cheer on the kids.
    Much better than when Husband and I were coaches for our own children. No pressure, no pressure. HA!
  7. Sania

Sania Active Member

I'm in Austin 2.5 to 3 hours away - we've got the Blanton Museum and the flagship whole foods store among other things (although not nearly as large or cosmopolitan as Houston) and there's a good social this weekend - pm me if you are ever interested in visiting!
  8. ChaChaMama

Wednesday:

Pretty low-key morning...although handyman was doing some work on the house and the dog was going nuts, so that made it a little harder to relax. Wrote in my diary.

2:30--Report in.

3--Opening Convocation.
    President gives another great opening speech, in my view. He gives tongue in cheek explanations of the profundity of lyrics by Daft Punk, Macklemore, and Will.i.am. He claims that the lyrics to "Get Lucky" that go "I'm up all night to get some" refer to the time honored college tradition of the all-nighter and should be understood as "I'm up all night to get some...education." Lol.

4--Reception. Find my own peer mentor and my first years. Feel pretty excited. This job really is an immense privilege in some respects.

5--Back home. Put out some fires via e-mail with regard to some minor first year issues. Really, I would call them only minor conflagrations, but the person I work with is pretty stressed, so I'm glad to take a burden or two off her hands.

Had pretty bad heartburn, so decided to postpone my workout.
  9. fascination

wed; three fitness classes, nap...clean car, errands ...tan and nails, highlights, laundry, pet care....
  10. fascination

thurs...one class...the rest is a blur...pretty sure it was mostly errands and pre-comp prep...trip to fabric store for some ribbon that I like to use in my hair, and some early holiday purchases for relatives who head south in the Fall

fri...teach three classes, eat, sleep...nothing else of any great import...
  11. j_alexandra

Last Saturday:

brekkie in b&b
    make 2 pitchers of sangria for later; sangria must age for at least 8 hours
    long phone conversation with a difficult friend, in which much was said and resolved
    lunch with same friend, his GF, and another friend
    trip to super uber supermarket for ingredients for dinner
    Rothko Chapel, a long visit and important
    sangria and dinner with two friends
    nap
    swing dancing
    pack
    sleep about 2 hours, then leave for airport
  12. j_alexandra

Sunday:
    fly home
    feel like a zombie for balance of the day
  13. j_alexandra

Monday:

Lesson at last; there is a god
    Peace and quiet
    Group class in Bolero
    More peace and quiet, restful

Tuesday:

Gyro, yay
    Another lesson, in which much new stuff happens and some of it sticks, I hope
    Reading, cooking, connecting with friends

Wednesday:

Lesson, why are you throwing all this new stuff at me?
    Rolfer
    Theater; a gorgeous evening in NY, and that's good, b/c theater was dreadful
    But trip home was easy; I love driving in NY in August, everyone else is out of town
  14. j_alexandra

Thursday:

Ikea; 'nuff said
    New winebar has opened, run by a friend; this one's in my neighborhood, color me effing happy, no more long drive home from the town where I used to live

Yesterday:

Put together Ikea purchase; a shelf for my ancient stereo, which I've unearthed from storage
    Connect stereo (tube preamp, tube amp, audiophile stuff, and it's been sitting in storage, so I'm worried) and... it sounds *magnificent* and I am happy beyond words
    Lesson, frustration, frustration, frustration, and then... LIGHT BULB!
    Evening: blues dancing with DB#4, and holy cow, was that fun; we leave around 11:30, go across the street to a nice Italian place, have a small bite and a glass of wine, and are having a great night
    Home; Z
  15. j_alexandra

btw, DB#4 and I have planned to try to go to blues every Friday there isn't social dancing, when fall comes. b/c those guys can lead. every. single. one. can LEAD. it's delightful, delicious, delerious. They're all different, and it's an endless mind puzzle for me, combined with the physical responses to the lead. Crack. Color me happy. It's got all the lead/follow/intimacy/connection stuff as AT, but, unlike Argentine Tango, I love the music. Win.
    samina likes this.
  16. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

learning WiFi Dell xps, yeah, the one that's been in the box for 7 months.
    Need to find out, if anyway possible, can a WiFi device (laptop/notebook, etc) send to print...to an HP PhotoSmart C7280 and the HP will actually print it? This is how I spent yesterday...looking things up after "the guy" who did the cables told me I need the disk to put into my Gateway which he has also, now, made wireless. The hunt for this puzzle is on...before the DORK in me calls the GeekSquad. NEVER SAY DIE! at least not right away. lol.
    Received text photos of my 3 Texas GC jumping off the pier at Lake Pflugerville and then fishing, standing in the water in their swimsuits, casting the fishing lines. WOW, that's very different than when I fished. ha!
    Cleared out lots and lots and lots of paperwork, staging stuff for the very last and final Yard Sale and doing the hard core "haven't used it in a year, it's gone" as well as home decor and some ballroom stuff that's been sitting taking up space.
    I suddenly have a need for minimal items and lots of clear clean space.
    Cut out article about SOS out of Vail Colorado. Note to self: call and find out if they need winter ski volunteers,,,sounds like fun.
    Went swimming and it was amazing to just float...and languish...pick a few fresh tomatoes...and munch away at the end of the day. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh,
    blasted computer/printer. arrggghhhhhh,,,,,the off button was kind to me...and pulling out the plug was just as good! HA,,,TAKE THAT!!!
    j_alexandra likes this.
  17. fascination

sat...teach classes...trainee doesn't show up...and tardiness has also been an issue...she has lame excuse...this does not bode well......i cool down and then proceed to give her a stern talking to and notify the boss....grocery shop, practice, and cook for family...family returns from Paris...they eat and tell me about their week...the kids like Belgium better than Paris...go figure...all are exhausted...husband bought me some very snooty perfume with an atomizer and son bought me french box-o...lol...daughter is making me wait till my birthday...so good to have my peeps back
    Purr, Sania and j_alexandra like this.
  18. ChaChaMama

Thursday:
    Did math with Child since she was having friends over later.
    Went in to work. Finalized FYS syllabus and course policies and turned them in for xeroxing. Put them up on Blackboard (which does not mean an actual blackboard, but the online learning management system for the college).

2--Dog trainer. Child had two of her BFFs over, as one of the things we are trying to do is get the dog not to bark at guests. (Our current approach is to put the dog in a room when Child has friends over. It would be nice not to have to do this.)

3:30--Took Child and friends to pool. There was much joy in the Child universe.

Home. One BFF picked up. Husband took Child and other BFF to book club.

I put in 6 miles on treadmill.

Got an e-mail about upcoming Broadway productions. Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan in "Waiting for Godot"?!? I'm in! (I'm teaching "Waiting for Godot" this fall.)

Also--
    "Romeo and Juliet" starring Orlando Bloom.
    "Twelfth Night" and "Richard III," in repetory.
    "Macbeth" starring Ethan Hawke. (?!?)
    "A Raisin in the Sun" starring DENZEL WASHINGTON!
  19. ChaChaMama

Friday:

Husband announces he is going to exercise class. Um...it's my first day of teaching? What about Child? He says he will be home around the time I need to leave and that if not, she can stay by herself for a little while.

Child winds up coming with me. This is fine insofar as that she is very likeable, though I probably am slightly more polished in my opening presentation when she is not around.

11-11:50--First day of GLC 2013. Promising group!

11:50--I ask Child if she wants to go to lunch with GLC in the student dining hall. Yes, she definitely does! She is very impressed by the dining hall, which was refurbished a couple years ago and now has a sort of Panera look to its interior, though with more food variety. She has been to the one at my alma mater, but she likes the one at my work even better.

I was impressed to learn that they have a chips and salsa bar with three different kinds of homemade salsa (e.g., traditional tomato/onion/jalapeno, black bean and corn, etc.), guacamole, etc. They also apparently always have hummus and pita triangles on the salad bar.

Child had cheese pizza, carrots, egg pieces, and a little shredded cheese.
    I had a salad with greens, red cabbage, broccoli, bell pepper, chickpeas, egg pieces, and low-cal Italian dressing.

We then checked out the desserts. Child had vanilla fro-yo w/choc sauce and I discovered the fresh baked white chocolate chip and craisin cookies. I'm not sure if learning that they make these pretty much every day is the best or worst discovery of my life! ;)

1-2:30--Back in office. Students are supposed to come by if they need schedule changes. I also use this time to prepare for my other two courses, which will meet for the first time on Monday.

Nap.

Math with Child.

Laundry and packing.

Watch an episode of "Star Trek: Voyager."
  20. ChaChaMama

Saturday:
    Packing.

Drive Child to meet up point with parents. They are taking her on a week long trip which will culminate in Niagara Falls.

Husband drives us to Alexandria, VA for Capital Dancesport (just to watch).

I go to work out. There are a few other dancers there.
    I am about 35 minutes into my jog on the treadmill when someone sneaks up on me from the side and bumps my speed up from 6.3 mph to 6.9 mph and puts me on an incline! Nik!!! Lol. And while I didn't keep it on 6.9, I decided he was right and that I could jog faster, so I stayed on 6.6 for the rest of the workout. Thanks to him, I jogged 6.42 miles in 1 hr.

Spent some time with Husband in room, including room service dinner.

7:30--Capital Dancesport Championships--Saturday night!
    Pro Rhythm, Latin, and Smooth all started from a quarter-final. (Standard was only 8 couples.)
    We were here to watch Nik's debut with a new partner in a new style: smooth! Really pleased that they danced well, made it to the final, and placed 5th. Not bad for the first time putting it out there on the competitive floor! The other couples included two OSB and USDSC finalist couples and three OSB and USDSC semi-finalists couples, so they were in good company. Hopefully they can build on this result in the weeks to follow!
    Purr and Sania like this.