yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

Sunday:
    Brunch.
    Drove home.
    Laundry.
    Groceries.
    General getting ready for Monday behavior.

Monday:
    8:30--At work, checking out my new classroom, right in the heart of the math department. We have had some changes in the Registrar's Office, and they now seem to be assigning classrooms in some sort of odd serendipitous way. Thank goodness it is a small campus, because my back-to-back classes could be closer together.

9:10-10:10--ENG 1101.

10:20-11:20--Gender, Literature, Culture. I love this class. I like to start with what students know: the world of 2013. We talk about stereotypical gender roles and stereotypical visual representations of sexy women, e.g., hair partially obscuring the face, coy expression, lips parted. One girl in the class does a hilarious imitation of that. We then go through popular magazines looking for traditional and more progressive representations of men and women in advertisements. I bring in a generous assortment: Details, Esquire, Men's Health, Ebony, Cosmo, Glamour, O (the Oprah magazine), Vanity Fair.

Next time, we go back in time to WWI England.

11:30--Lunch break. Good news: the secretary was able to get my 9:10 class moved to the same building as my 10:20 class!

12:40-1:40--20th Century British Literature.

2-4--Office hours. It would cool if my student who isn't registered for any classes yet came by, but no such luck.

4:30--Home. Relax.

7-8:30--All Parents Night at ChaChaChild's school.

Talk to ChaChaChild, who is on vacation with my parents at a working farm. They also got to tour Howe Caverns today. She is such a sweet and appreciative child.

Tuesday:
    To campus by 9.
    9-10--Office hours.
    10:10-11:10--CCM's and my peer mentor's tips for college success. My peer mentor is one of the most positive people I've ever met and I feel just great that I chose him.

11:10--Wolf down a little lunch.

11:30-12:50--Meeting with the chair of the Math Department and another Math colleague. I have big plans and hopes that we can change our math placement and math remediation strategies.

1:30ish--Home.

2:45--Work out. Ugh. Treadmill is not working right and is not clocking mileage. Keep jogging a minute, then re-setting. Nope. So I jog and then speed walk without the odometer feature. I love all the hi-tech features of this treadmill, but seriously, clocking mileage is a pretty basic feature and that needs to work. It is a serious incentive, trying to jog more in 1 hour than one did the last time. I know I put in about 8 miles based on how long I worked out at various speeds, but I'm still bummed the thing wasn't working right.
    Shower.

Read and prepped "Pygmalion" for Monday.

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

sunday...children make up for having been gone all week by demanding a good bit of my time and attention...son more than daughter, who has always been better at amusing herself...husband is beginning to show signs of stress again...glad they are home, but...enough said...

monday; teach three classes, get violently ill on way to lessons...lessons start okay and then tank...drive home and husband proceeds to have an epic financial stress meltdown, starting with my dancing...the timing on this is...not good... for a variety of reasons...but we navigate it and agree to a business meeting with one another after I go to usdc

tues...take husband to train as dtr has his car...go back to bed and sleep a long time due to having gotten very poor sleep...proceed to bring house and comp gear into order...teach two classes and burn dinner...early bedtime almost certain

3. NURDRMS

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

Fasc - eesh, sorry.

My Sunday, wake very late (8:30 is hugely late for me!) and rush to pick up daughter from friend's house where she slept over. Deal with grumpy teenager. Take grumpy teenager to soccer game, where they are behind 0-5 by half time. Right before half time, daughter and girl from other team try to head the ball at the same time and end up heading each other. Drive to ER. Wait, wait, wait. After multiple scans, doc says no concussion but no soccer for a week. Prescribes Vicodin for her headache, which is major league. Head home.

Monday, daughter decides to go to school, not because she's afraid to miss class, but she can't stand not being around her friends. Drive to work but shortly get call from school to pick her up. Massive headache continues. Since I also have a migraine, leaving work isn't totally a bad thing. Meanwhile, pro calls to cancel lessons, which also isn't totally a bad thing. Home, where daughter, dog, and I all nap until dinner. Dinner, then bed again.

4. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Put in 3 miles on threadmill yesterday morning.
    Did absolutely NO house repairs, painting, this or that.
    Read a book, YES, in fact, an entire book. FABULOUS.
    Inspired to attend my first group Gold level class in ages,,,lost
    inspiration when I fell asleep on sofa...wink!

5. fascination

nurdrms; yours doesn't sound so great either...sorry to hear it

6. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

Started my TA duties by attending a lecture and then teaching two labs. Students seem okay. I think I talked too fast though... will have to work on that. First pharmacology class, then pilates. Home to make dinner which was delicious. Helped my dad finish assembling my new desk, watched a little of Burn Notice with my family while eating ice-cream, graded papers, did some reading then went to bed! Tuesdays are my crazy days !

chomsky likes this.
  7. fascination

interesting how we always speed up when we are nervous when slowing down would be a much better plan

llamasarefuzzy likes this.
  8. ChaChaMama

@Nurdrms--Poor daughter!!! That sounds SO painful. And poor you. I know ERs are no fun; neither the waiting part or the worrying part has much to recommend it. I hope your daughter is feeling better today.

@Fascination--Spousal meltdowns of any flavor are never fun either. Having been through some financial re-strategizing this summer--different reasons, but also upsetting--I know you will feel better once you know the new lay of the land and you and your man are on the same page.

Wednesday:
    8:30--On campus.

9:10--ENG 1101. Thesis statements, titles, opening sentences.

10:20--GLC. Highlight of day!!!
    -Talked about what we mean when we say gender is a social construct.
    -Brief history of WWI.
    -Discussed Siegfried Sassoon's poem "'They'" Class participation was robust and intelligent.

A student ran into me in the hall after class and said "Great class today!" :)

Lunch.

12:40--20th C BRIT LIT. Modernism.

1:45--Leave note on door, then hustle to an emergency meeting over in the Dean's office about an unhappy camper who wants to switch his first year seminar class. Complicating this are several factors, among them that he wants to switch into the class his girlfriend is in.

2:20--Office hours, cont.

3ish--Home. I am beat, even though I was only at work for 6.5 hours! This first week of school has been taking it out of me.

Rest for awhile.

Write in my diary. A little desultory dance practice...though I find that spins are making me a little dizzy, perhaps because of being tired.

Talk to Child, checking in from Niagara Falls. She is having an amazing time.

Send "Good practicing" vibes to my amazing teacher, who I know is gearing up for Embassy.

Think some more about what to do with the unhappy camper. I think of one possibility that I think is rather clever which we should have suggested today, but did not. Hmm.

9. 3wishes

!)arrghhh Fas to financial meltdowns...sigh.
    My yesterdays....used travelzoo dot com steep discounts and head to the central coast - San Luis Obispo aka SLO county.
    Check in at the Apple Farm Hotel which is my most favorite place to stay when up there.
    Use all the vouchers, attend wine tasting and beer tasting (bleh) in the courtyard and dive right into the chilly pool and the hot spa. EXCELLENT.
    Wake up, head to breakfast and a nice long walk to downtown SLO.
    Pack up car, head out for the day, start out in Cayucos just north of town.
    Check out the quiet beach, the stroll, the locals and of course,,,,the brownbuttercookies - made with sea salt. OMG! I love these things, took pics of the high school and college students hand rolling the cookies before our eyes and watch DH sample more than his fair share of bite sized cookies.
    Walk away with two bags...lol.
    Head south to Gopher Glen Apple Farm in See Canyon and Avila Beach Farms. YEA!
    Sample apples I've never heard of, walk from farm after lunch with 5 pounds of Jonagolds and Murray apples.Way Yummy. and
    Stroll Avila Beach, hit up Wood Winery where the waves break on the beach for excellent outdoor samples, conversation, purchase
    White Wine Vonginer and walk up the street to the Customs House (now seaside outdoor/indoor restaurant) and have the most
    excellent steamers, chowder, salmon while DH downed the best 1/2 pound cheeseburger after a day of mild hikes, apple picking and general all around tourist things that now seem second nature.
    Put away windbreakers as the sun is warming up and it's a ,sunset over the ocean.
    Head back to hotel - collect on birthday massage...YES! ahhhhh
    Reading, reading and more reading...I could learn to like this! lol
    Wake up - head to Morro Bay, look out for Whales, they've been spotted, about 30 of them in the bay...oh boy! I'm excited to see this...and of course...no whales for me! There is a sea Lion that seems to spy DH and he decides to climb up the rocks towards DH,,,as we back away (we are not at a zoo this is open space) Mr. Sea Lion decides to lay down and sun himself...THANK GOODNESS he was a big boy!
    Hang out at beach with a group of falcon watchers, counting the birds and taking photos,,,,they are an actual official group. Found this interesting.
    More mild hikes and headed back to hotel to get ready for the Farmers Market Street Fair, now, we decide we are NOT buying the wonderful farm fresh veges and fruit since we are leaving for Canada in a few days,,but hey we have killer Apples right?
    We both note that within two miles the weather changes drastically from foggy cool to warm and sunny,,,
    Sample the food of the street fair and marvel at the everchanging products, the live music played and the various performing groups,
    We take one more look down Gum Alley (yes, it is what it is) and enjoy the Cal Poly San Luis Obispo Dancers, as we get on the trolley and head back to Enter our magnificent room and at the same time we both voice,,,let's not leave.....and yet we put off packing,,,,savoring every moment outdoors that we can in the wonderful weather before we hit the 111 degrees at home. THIS is relaxation at it's best! I could become a pro at this! lol, wink.

10. fascination

sounds wonderful

11. ChaChaMama

THURSDAY:
    In the clear light of day, the Solomonic solution to the student problem I thought of late on Wednesday sounds even better to me. E-mail First Year Team and get agreement. E-mail student.

Prep lesson plan on George Bernard Shaw's "Pygmalion."

8 miles on treadmill...which still isn't tracking mileage, but it is showing speed and I can do the math.
    Finish reading Lawrence Wright's Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief. Very interesting expose.

One weird thing about reading on the Kindle: I did not realize I was almost done until I got to "Epilogue." It shows you the percentage of the text you have finished, but a book like this has a ton of back matter: endnotes, bibliography, etc. So the text ended at around 72%.

Prepared flyer for neighborhood picnic. Oddly, I am now the neighborhood association president. Thankfully, this does not seem to involve a lot of responsibilities.

Drive to a theater still playing "Fruitvale Station."
    "Fruitvale Station." Fantastic movie. You must see it if you haven't already!

Afterwards, a guy who had been sitting in my row in the theater saw me checking out the mall map and tried to pick me up!

Went out to my car and turned on my phone. A couple texts from Husband that said things like "They will decide whether to come home based on how she is feeling tomorrow." So I take it that my parents called and Child is sick? Why can't he write a text that actually makes sense?
    Call Husband. Not home.
    Call parents. Not picking up phone.
    Ugh.
    Drive home. Husband seems to be out at exercise class. Did not leave a note. So I guess Child isn't super sick.

Parents call back! Child has no appetite and a cold, but no fever or vomiting. They decided to stay in NY state for the night. Whew! Good to hear her voice.

E-mail back from student. Did not accept any of the options offered to him. Disappointed, but not at all surprised.

Wrote in diary a little before bed.

12. SwayWithMe

SwayWithMe Well-Known Member

THURS:
    2:15am ish: DH comes home. He left for work 6:30 yesterday morning, is running on caffeine and turns on the lights to read. I am very sleepy.
    4am: beeper goes off, he showers and heads back to the hospital. I am very sleepy.
    5:30: drag my sleepy self out of bed. Coffee.
    6am: wake kiddos and the mayhem begins
    7: DH calls, done with work. He's off to the airport to fly (his plane) to a day of meetings for his new part-time for-fun second job, hour flight each way.
    7:30: Drive DD1 and DD2 to their respective schools
    8: wildfire smoke has lifted slightly, decide to take a chance and walk a couple of loops around the park next to elementary school. I'm so sick of being stuck inside.
    8:30: "Conditioning for Dancers" at the studio. I'm seeing a lot of improvement in my form lately. W00t! Stupid L hamstring is still tight.
    9:30: head home, stretch, get cleaned up, do housework, practice a bit, eat, back to studio
    12-1:40: double lesson w the pro I compete with. Had fun playing with new technique from lesson w coach on Tues. Dancing felt good!
    Get changed, mad dash to girls' schools to pick them up early so we can make it to orientation at son's new school at 2:30. Find his home room and leave him to it. Girls and I head to the multipurpose room, look through used uniforms (no luck). Look around the room and notice this school is crawling with all the high-maintenance moms I've disliked from years of preschool/ballet/gymnastics/etc. Just shoot me. Friends with kids at that school are all at work. Listen to peppy mom talk about how excited she is about PTA. Strongly consider volunteering my MIL. >;)
    3:15 DS is released from orientation, is excited about school! Kids dive into the ice cream line. Chat with a friend. (Phew)
    3:30 outta there, off to ballet. DD1 realizes she left her violin at school and can't practice over the 4 day weekend. Drama ensues. Kick myself for not noticing.
    Get DD2 changed and into 4pm class on time
    Write notes from my lesson, DD1 changes and goes into 4:30 class
    Outta there, drop DS at piano for lesson at 5, head back to ballet.
    DH calls, safe on the ground, plane tucked in, suggests going out to dinner. Yes please!!
    DD2 is already out of class when I arrive, get her changed
    5:30 DD1 gets out of class, try to get her to change quickly instead of socializing. Right.
    5:50 get back to piano just as DS finishes
    6:10 arrive at brewpub. DH already has a table. Silly, but I've really missed him. Sit, and all three kids start crying. Really? 8, 10, & 13. Oh yes, ice cream in the middle of a busy afternoon doesn't work particularly well...
    Yummy dinner, DH tells me all about his exciting meetings, I bore him going on and on about dance. Home, get kiddos in bed at 8:30, then we both crash hard. I actually sleep through the night!

13. fascination

omg...that day exhausted me just reading it

14. ChaChaMama

@SwayWithMe--Dear Lord! You dance and have THREE kids in school with transportational needs! I sometimes find it hard to fit everything in with one kid. (I just have a 10-almost 11-year old, who is going into 6th). My hat off to you!

FRIDAY:
    8:30--Deans and Directors Meeting. I have to leave this ~2 hour meeting early every single time because I have to teach.

9:10--ENG 1101. Explain how to prep debate and then debate on the topic "Did the D.C. City Council do the right thing when they passed a bill mandating that if Wal-Mart wants to open in the district, they must pay employees a living wage of $12.50/hr?"
    Interestingly, the pro group struggled more than the con group. There was one guy on their team who kept bringing up points that a couple of his teammates had to point out were really points for the other side. So he doesn't seem to have that ability to read and select the facts that will help his side yet. There were, however, some people on the pro team who came up strong, including one guy who had been somewhat quiet during the prep session, but actually proved to be quite articulate during the debate. Of the nine people on that team, three really got my attention. The con team was helped by having an older exchange student from Germany with some definite leadership skills.

10:20--GLC. Fantastic discussion of Siegfried Sassoon's "Glory of Women" and Wilfred Owen's "Dulce et Decorum Est." This class is really impressing me. The quality of the discussion has been way above what I would expect from a first year class in week one of college. My only concern is that while 10 students are very actively participating and grappling with each question, 5 students are silent. I do not assume that they do not have ideas. I think they may be a little overwhelmed by some of the more outgoing people. We have a couple of people in this class who are both brainy and have really BIG personalities.
    After class, my teaching assistant/peer mentor and I strategized that maybe we'll try some small group work next time to give the more reticent personalities a chance to get a word in edgewise.

Lunch and prep break.

12:40--20TH C BRIT LIT. "Pygmalion." Never taught it before, and it was fun! Got confirmation of something I was pretty sure of, namely that one student in this class is a person with Asperger's. (She self-identified when I mentioned that the scholarship on this play included an article theorizing that Higgins is a classic Aspergian. She and another student in the class were intrigued, so I made a copy of the piece for them.)

1:45--Called home. What's the score with Child? Did she feel well enough for my parents to drive home? Husband said parents just checked in from Jersey and are trying to decide whether they want to do drop off today or tomorrow.

I print off papers I will need to mark this weekend from Blackboard LMS (learning management system). Gather papers from other class who handed in on Wednesday. Head out.

2:40--Home. Yes, pick up. My parents want to do it now to try to beat the Labor Day rush! (I have been warning them that this Labor Day weekend is supposed to be crazy.) So I do a 5 minute transition. Work clothes off, jeans on. Grab some Ritz pb crackers and a Diet Dr. Pepper and go!

2:45--Drive to Chesapeake House on I-95. Traffic on Baltimore Beltway is pretty bad and I am scared that we have not successfully beaten the Labor Day weekend rush...but then I-95 is great.

4:45--Pick up Child!!! She looks a little unkempt, and apparently hasn't really eaten much at all for a day and a half--just a little white rice--because she has lost her appetite with the cold she has. My parents ask her if she wants me to get her a snack while I pop in to the Chesapeake House to use the restroom. Normally she would want string cheese and a candy bar. She says "No, nothing." But she's otherwise in a very chipper mood, watching my Mom's maltese puppy interact with other dogs, and telling me about the vacation.

5:10--Head back out. Traffic is much better in our direction on the return trip. Yes! And Child says that the one thing she really might like to eat is veggie fried rice from her favorite place, so Husband runs out and gets it for her and it is waiting for her when she comes in the door around 6:45. Her appetite seems to be back, as she eats two bowls! She is snuffly, but her color is fine and no fever. The dog is very excited to see his Little Girl!

I'm pretty tired, since I have been on the go since I left for work around 8:15, so I give myself permission to do nothing more strenuous than relax and write in my diary for the rest of the evening!

15. SwayWithMe

SwayWithMe Well-Known Member

It helps greatly that I am a stay-at-home mother, but yes, it is hard to fit in the dancing! (DD1 will be 11 in a few weeks, just started 6th)

SATURDAY:
    6:30 wake up, coffee, breakfast etc followed by housework
    9:30 "Conditioning for Dancers" at the studio. Great class -- some things just clicked today.
    11 stop by bank on the way home. Food. Note to self: watermelon and parsley smoothie tastes like grass clippings. Must procure groceries.
    12 to friends' house to help set up for their big (400+ guests) party tomorrow evening.
    2:30 run a few errands, including home to get the swimsuits (sheesh)
    4 back to friends house, into the pool!
    5:30 leave DH and kiddos there for a BBQ, home, shower, quick food
    7 Intermediate Viennese. Room full of people who've never danced it before, so slow going. Instructor uses me as a TA. Sigh.
    8 Saturday dance party. Someone I was really hoping to dance with more left very early. I was disappointed, but oh well. Quite a few good leaders there tonight, had a good time.
    11 head home, everyone's asleep but I still have to do laundry so I have something to wear to coach's dance camp tomorrow.

16. fascination

past few days and next several days; comping...so don't let the place go to pieces friends :)

j_alexandra and Sania like this.
  17. ChaChaMama

SATURDAY:
    A pretty lazy day. (By the way, my new resolution is that on Thursdays and Saturdays, I'm going to do my best to sleep until at 7:30. Let's see if I can do that. I also really need to try to go to sleep earlier on weekdays. If I could do 10:30, that would be awesome, but 11 may be more realistic. 11:30-12 is typical. And then I wonder why I feel tired.)

-Wrote in diary.
    -Made a pot of turkey chili.
    -Marked 7 short ENG 1101 papers.
    -8 miles on treadmill. (It still isn't tracking mileage! Grr. Come on, fancy and expensive treadmill...this is going to be at least the second time in under a year we have to call the repair guy. Nonetheless, I know that if I do 46 mins at 6.3 and 44 mins at 4.4, that's ~8 miles.)
    -Read Jennifer Silva's Coming Up Short: Working-Class Adulthood in an Age of Uncertainty.
    -Tried to make plans with other moms for possible trip to NYC to see "Romeo and Juliet" on Broadway.
    -Adjudicated argument between Child and Husband, who were supposed to be going out to buy school supplies. Child and Husband were fighting because Husband also wanted to drag Child on other errands, and then Child said she wanted to go back to school shopping with me instead, which hurt Husband's feelings. I also felt that if I did the 4 hour round trip to pick up Child yesterday, Husband and Child could do back-to-school shopping.
    Admittedly, Child is just getting over this cold which has left her a little tired and crabby, yet refuses to let an adult pick everything out because, you know, 6th grade. And we have left this to the 11th hour, since school starts Tuesday. She and I picked a new Lands' End lunchbox weeks ago, but all the stuff like marbled composition books, pencils, glue sticks on the supply list had yet to be purchased. Finally I literally sweeten the deal by suggesting they go to Coldstone on the way home. That works.
    And the peace and quiet after they leave the house is even sweeter to me than a frozen concoction! (Love my family, but the bickering makes me crazy!)

18. 3wishes

Checked out DF in the morning. Revisited old websites prepping for road trip to Banff/Jasper.
    Painted front guest bedroom, surprised by the amount of dust in a room hardly used.
    Congratulated myself on "job well done",,I'm a girl that loves to use powertools to fix things (dad did teach us to be self-sufficient in that way!)
    Swimming with DH.
    Catch up with SIL on her news, travels, grandkids, embracing retirement herself and catching up on her reading.
    DD calls, "mom I'm photographing a wedding,,,and the sun...what if..questions"...gotta love it cause it's hotter than hatis out here, reminds me of Texas somehow.
    Grill dinner, watch NASCAR, remind myself that down time from lessons and coaching is sometimes a good thing,,,I always come back stronger but skiing out of state for a few months is taking over the wish list somehow....sigh. choices, choices, and more choices....
    Note to self: self proclaimed happiness that we do not "have to" travel on a holiday weekend because the kids are out of school" makes me giggle with a huge smile.
    Discuss plans with DH to return to Avila Beach and SLO in mid-October,,,he readily agrees and settles in for the night.
    YES!

19. bboyeddy

bboyeddy New Member

i went practising all day

20. ChaChaMama

SUNDAY--Maryland RenFest with one of Child's BFFs and her mom. And there was much joy in ChildLand. Also out to dinner at Olive Garden to celebrate other little girl's 11th birthday. It was Child's first time in an Olive Garden, and I can't say she actually ate more than a bite or two of her meal (very picky), but she loved dessert and being with her friend on her birthday. The look of sheer joy on my child's face when the wait staff came out singing "Happy birthday" to her friend...so sweet.

MONDAY--Relaxing day, plus some grading for me.

TUESDAY--Child's 1st day of school! 6th grade!
    After dropping her off.
    8:30ish--At water cooler at work, catching up with colleague.
    9-10--Office hrs.
    10:10-11:10--Library presentation.
    Emails to sort out some director business. Omg, this one kid....
    11:30-1--English Department meeting.
    1-2:15--First year team meeting.
    3-4:30--Meeting to discuss math placement.
    4:30--Back in office, wrapping things up.
    Note that this 8 hour workday included only 1 hour in the classroom in any sense, and 4 hrs, 15 mins of meetings. Something is very wrong with this picture.

5--Home to hear about first day of school. "It was utterly amazing." She does not lack for enthusiasm, my daughter.

6--Get ready for dance.

7-8:15--Junior 2/3 Ballet.

Home. Put Child to bed.