yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

sunday...couple's counseling appointments ...finish staining deck...dh leaves for san fran.....evening spent happy that I don't have to move my body

mon; teach fitness for 2 hours, meet with boss, spend rest of day cleaning house....friend bails on me for drinks tonight due to spousal conflict on her end...I worry...do more yard work...and I miss my lessons finally...which is actually a relief...maybe it will be okay when I go back...going to cook a burger soon ...haven't eaten much today...which is good since yesterday I ate like a goat...anticipate an early bed time then a busy day tomorrow continuing to return order to my home, running errands, and teaching cycling

2. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

I'm happy for you.

And I think the occasional hiatus to pause and reevaluate is healthy, so smart of you to take one. :)

fascination likes this.
  3. ChaChaMama

SUNDAY:
    8:30--Grading papers.

10:45-8:30--Day 2 of National Book Festival with Child, who didn't get to go on Saturday due to dance. We saw Jon Scieszka, of Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales fame.

Oh! And we also got to see one of Lionness's favorites, Tamora Pierce!!! She is wickedly funny and very refreshingly open and honest. Her tent was packed to the gills!

Wanted to see Khaled Hosseini, but that tent was really, really packed, so we decided to go to Readers Theater with Susan Cooper, Katherine Patterson, Jon Scieszka, and Grace Lin instead.

4. ChaChaMama

MONDAY:
    Another Marathon Monday...almost Masochism Monday, really!
    9, 9:20, 9:40--ENG 1101 appts.

10:20--GLC. The three waves of feminism. Betty Friedan's The Feminine Mystique.

Lunch and prep break.

12:40--20th Brit Lit. D. H. Lawrence's Women in Love. Animal symbolism.

Grade 1 paper, then...
    2, 2:20 2:40, 3, 3:20, 3:40, 4--ENG 1101 appts. Get stood up once, but the rest show up.

4:35--Home. Do hair! Husband has agreed to take Child to dance since I took care of her during time he is supposed to take care of her on Sunday.

Dinner.

8.5 miles on treadmill. Shower.

Child home. Child is in great mood tonight. Her literature assessment of Bud, Not Buddy is being added to the file of possible assessments people can take at the end of the unit because it is so good. They also had a lesson on the scientific method today that involved popping different brands of microwave popcorn and counting how many kernels remained unpopped. Then dance rehearsal was really good and the time flew by so fast she couldn't believe it had already been an hour.

Put her to bed, then waste a little time before bed.

5. fascination

doing today now...tues

vacuum, shampoo, and mop most every floor in house....laundry and dishes...wash windows...shop...prepare gifts for a family event this weekend.....two hours of spin....currently exhausted...probably in bed by 9

6. dancelvr

dancelvr Well-Known Member

Dang, Fasc.....wish I had your energy.

fascination likes this.
  7. fascination

wed...teach step one, teach step two, teach cycling....mail two packages, more laundry, clean the master bath from bottom to top...take and long soak and get pretty for dh's return home...cook a fabulous pork roast w/vegetables....field work callsfor both jobs....whine to a friend....listen to another friend whine...write some bills...make a Dr.Appt....will be in bed very soon

8. ChaChaMama

TUESDAY:
    9, 9:20, 9:40--ENG 1101 Appointments

10:10--GLC Flex. Writing Center and SASS (Student Academic Support Servies) present.

11:30--Meeting with transfer student peer mentors. A lot to digest here.

1ish--Back to office, follow up e-mails, pack up, home to change clothes, off to Towson.

Arrive to see my teacher and his ex-partner dancing an incredibly sexy rumba to a great song. I am captivated, but...what?! I am so confused. Turns out they have a show. I didn't know they were still doing shows together. Interesting.

2:30-4--Double lesson, with a particular focus this week on paso. Dear Lord. It turns out there is a lot I did not know about the technique I am supposed to be using in this routine. I think my brain reached full at about the 60 minute mark. Can't decide if that's a good thing or a bad thing. I definitely got my money's worth. Possibly I should have left a tip/combat pay.

5ish--Home.

6ish--Getting ready to leave for dance studio #2 of the day.
    7-8:15--Child has ballet. Apparently the instructor has nicknamed her "Big Eyes." She does indeed have big, beautiful blue eyes. She got a couple positive comments. Yay.
    Get her signed up for a team track suit.
    Home, put her to bed.

Grade until almost midnight. :(

9. ChaChaMama

WEDNESDAY:
    Get up and work on birthday party invite for Child. It is a loosely Star Trek themed party. The picture on the evite is her sitting on the bridge of the Enterprise D, which they had at the Las Vegas Con. The evite reads:

BIRTHDAYS…THE FINAL FRONTIER.
    THIS IS THE VOYAGE OF THE STARSHIP NAOMI.
    HER MISSION: TO EXPLORE STRANGE NEW EXPERIENCES, TO CELEBRATE LIFE AND DELICIOUS CONFECTIONS, TO BOLDLY PARTY AS NO ONE HAS PARTIED BEFORE.
    ENGAGE!

8:20--Drop off Child at school. Feel some Working Mommy Guilt because they are kicking off the 40th anniversary of the school and parents are invited for a special ceremony...from 8:30-9:30! Does not work for me.

9, 9:20, 9:40--ENG 1101 appts.

10:20--GLC. More discussion of _The Feminine Mystique_. Then set up next time's discussion of _A Single Man_.

Lunch, grading.

12:40--20th C Brit Lit. Lawrence.

1:45, 2:05, 2:25--ENG 1101 appts.

Get stuff to secretary. Mad dash to car! Drat! Realize I've forgotten a folder I need, but no time to go back.

3--Pick up Child.

Deal with work e-mail, get Child ready for dance, and
    4--Out the door.

4:30--Beginning of Child's dance marathon day.
    5:30--Home! On treadmill! 8+ miles. Shower.
    8--Stop by work. Pick up the damn folder.
    8:50--At studio to pick up. Child has been crying. Ugh. Not a good day at dance. Got hollered at in tap rehearsal. She also said she was tired because she slept badly the night before and had no energy. Is sad and feels like she is one of the worst on the team. :( Tough stuff. I try to say comforting things, like "That was just one bad rehearsal. You will do better on Saturday after a few nights rest," "You did great in ballet yesterday," etc.

Put Child to bed. Put self to bed.

10. fascination

that is hard ccm...but I will say this...I wish I had that experience as a child so that it wouldn't have been such a surprise when I got older...it is always a hard lesson.....

11. fascination

thurs...teach blast in the a.m. try to sleep, do more stuff around the house...schedule engaged couples...go back to gym and the class cancels which is a rleife because Iam having a blue day over some disappointments...and I haveto go backin a few hours and teach zumba anyhow....home in a foam.....and dh is wonderful...he is just back from out of town and has a wife who is useless...

12. ChaChaMama

THURSDAY:
    -Eyebrow waxing.
    -Grocery store. We were out of milk this morning which made Child grumpy re: breakfast cereal. Text Husband to let him know I have done this errand, and to make sure he won't also do it. But don't worry! He doesn't check his messages and does in fact duplicate the errand...when there are plenty of other errands he could run. This is a guy who has his phone with him pretty much ALL.THE.TIME, and frequently an I-Pad as well. Sigh.
    -Grade stuff.
    -8+ miles on treadmill.

FRIDAY:
    9:10--ENG 1101. Class on how to know when to trust and when not to trust a website. Pick some scandalous examples.

10:20--GLC. Discussion of Isherwood's A Single Man branches out into discussion of perceptions of homosexuality in the present, during our lifetimes, in different cultures (one student is from Ghana).

Lunch.

12:40--20th C Brit Lit. Lawrence.

Send e-mails relevant to guest speaker coming in November. Find out that my catering contact for events at Prez's house now works for grad division. Unclear who is now in her position. Le sigh.

Run home to run SUPER ANNOYING errand of returning merchandise. As far as I can tell, this particular dance manufacturer expects the CUSTOMER to pay shipping when you have a return. I have waiting until close to the 60 day deadline, too. Not happy with the manufacturer or myself! And was not in the mood to go to the UPS Store.

Try to coordinate plans for NYC trip.

7-8:30--FAMILY FUN NIGHT--Roller skating with upper elementary! Fun. I don't think I've been on traditional roller skates since I was Child's age. I did some roller blading on my first sabbatical, but even that has been 10 years. There was a bit of a teen scene there that drove me a little bonkers when waiting on line to get in, but once we were whizzing around the rink, it was all good.

13. fascination

friday...teach 4 fitness classes...then cook like a maniac for fake christmas....an event hosted by my father's new wife to alllow herself to feel generous and tired right before she and my dad leave leave for florida for 7 months...that is really all that needs to be said about that....son comes home and that is wonderful

saturday...from hell...supposed to be my weekend off (so that I can goto fake christmas)...but one instructor's daughter is in ICU and another instructor's brother in law drops dead of a heart attack....another instructor has a torn ACL and another (the former boss) is still too busy pouting and blaming everyone else for having to step down...so you guessed it...teach 4 classes back to back(nearly expire)....drive an hour to fake christmas which was mostly tolerable yet full of many passive aggressive jabs until it culminated in some bomb dropping which left me pretty much ruined for the night

today will be a trip to the cemetary, my nephew's football game, and then the in-laws...because hey, why not just get all of the worst crap dealt with all in one weekend?...and afterall, the in-laws are suddenly looking pretty good....am reminding myself that it could be a lot worse(see lives of the other instructors)...even though, at the moment I also have a blazing headache from allergies and am thinking that none of this bodes well for my first lessons since usdc on Monday which I have been dreading anyhow...and that is all from Little Miss Mary Sunshine for now

14. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Holy Moly Fas,,,,,,,well,,,,maybe it is better to "get it over" with family....in one weekend. Been there....still doing that....no wonder road trips work well for me at times.
    Ok, so a whole lotta yesterdays...f
    Head home from Canmore, Alberta Canada where a light snow fell during the night and woke up to a most amazing view of the Three Sisters Mountains in front of our balcony.
    Drive through Banff (goodbye, sniff sniff sigh, my home away - childhood memories are so warm and good when revisted) to Route 93.
    Drive south on Route 93 (which we find out goes all the way south through to Arizona!)
    Beautiful, no winding roads...wide, lots of warning signs of "caution" wildlife crossings. Believe me, there is ALOT of wildlife...
    Stop in Radium Hot Springs (town) - 1,000 old/antique/vintage cars are arriving from as far away as Cagalry - This is the event of the year...
    Talk to DH about staying....for the event since it will start the next morning, no such luck...gotta hit Salt Lake City...on Sunday for the business meetings.
    Drat. People are so kind/nice/etc.
    Further south, opens to rolling hills, deep forest and beautiful farm country. Spend the evening in Whitefish Montana...Loved the main street walk-ability and all the new small café(s), did not care for the entire road being torn up for massive road construction (cranes, bulldozers, get the picture?) crane swings wayyyy too close to front windshield...we decide to walk-it....on the side/main streets. Really enjoyed the variety Whitefish provides to out of towner(s).
    Stop and chat with some local folks...fun conversations.
    Sunrise, free breakfast, and buzzing along 15South.
    Embrace the view of Big Arm Lake - which is truly....HUGE,,,then Flathead Lake....lots of marinas, boats, outdoor....
    Stop in and have a blast at the Polson Great American Museum...this is not a normal museum...there are Alien Spaceships in the back, full blown very old beauty palours, a total immerse into Americana.....and a full blown antique diner..(non operating)....every kind of Harley Davidson Motorcycle,,,exhibits donated of World War(s) and some purple heart medals with full stories behind them. Volunteer suggested the 4B's café down the street, so grabbed a wonderful tomato soup with grilled cheese (loved that comfort food)....
    Head to Dillon - this small town had a Jr. Rodeo going on and a University football game so - rather packed...
    Up early, to Salt Lake City....The Great American Hotel - WOWWWWWEEEEEEE - son calls from the south as he comes in on 15 through Vegas...and yells in phone "BEST ROOM ....EVER".... Let me say this,,,,,it was not a room....there were 4 rooms minus a full kitchen and I felt like a queen. AMAZING...and the hotel itself was amazing...stayed for 5 nights...
    Explored SLC - Family Library Center - although my dad had spent a week there years ago researching his family with the volunteers,,,,there is no way to tell someone...what this place is like,,,,different floors address different things...DH went to the "map" floor on top...DS,,,went across to Temple Square to see the buildings, I sat with Volunteer as she pulled out several books and actually found (with some names, dates, and potential locations I gave her) a book on French Canadian weddings in the 1700's/1800's. BINGO....thank you, dear volunteer, for giving me instruction, usage on the web...and potential tutorials I can do at home.
    Head out to Squatters Restaurant....Salmon was the BEST!!!
    Meetings started Monday, I reconnect with business owners I hadn't seen in 20 years (someone has to take care of kids and ill parents....so I didn't go).
    It was great to see everyone again....spend time at pool with other ladies...as we catch up before continuing the workshops.
    Lots of information and a Computer Switch - coming...that has everyone apparently nervous. No wonder they saved that announcement for the last day.
    Husband is not happy at all...and loudly - to DS and myself - explains...his unhappiness about this complete switch.
    DS and I convince DH that - we would like to be home on Friday....instead of going to Vegas on the tail end of trip...and get caught up in Sunday return traffic.
    DS and I walk ALOT in SLC....which was fun, to just have time with him.....we jump in car while DH is in class....and I take DS to Park City, Deer Valley and The Canyons. Walk Park City, eat at a wonderful Bistrol...he loves the main street, calls his GF...tells her....about the ski resorts....hmmmm I get the feeling of a potential winter ski trip.....so glad he likes it....my picky ski kid.
    Back to hotel for final dinner event....DS finds his generation of young adults and they hang together until late in the a.m......
    Head to Mesquit NV - wherein, DS insists because of time change we could make another hour of driving, I stand my ground knowing he was up to all hours, dear husband does not feel, in his bones,,,like he wants to stay folded up in car....Rest is best for everyone.....I'm now the "bad-guy".....so what.
    Up early, knowing we are driving through Vegas "work" morning rush hour and the 15 in downtown off ramps is reduced to two lanes due to fwy construction. We hit a lot of traffic....meet up again at Stateline....Hug DS - wish him well,,,as he departs from us to head home.
    It was nice being away,,,but it's always nice to be home again.
    Spent the last two days, recoverying, putting away, meeting new neighbors who just moved in.....and trying, somewhat to get back to a "routine" whatever that definition is.....lately....it's just spontaneous combustion.....and go with the flow. lol.

Sania and j_alexandra like this.
  15. fascination

sounds like a lovely trip

16. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Have not posted since September 12 or thereabouts, b/c, well, I've been on a fairly even keel. Considering what the past few years have been like, for me, I'll absoeffinglutely accept "even keel" with bells on. But it doesn't leave me much to report.

What's actually been happening?

Some baking, some lessons, some gyro, some Rolfer, some shopping, some evenings with friends, some theater, some Blues dancing, one ghastly evening of ballroom social dancing.
    And a lot of reading.
    Oh, and a visit from my accountant that left me less worried about money than usual -- the opposite of what accountant visits are supposed to do.
    Oh, yeah, Ex acted up a bit, but reacted pretty well to bitchslapping.
    Oh, yeah, and the whole my-cat-stopped-eating thing.
    And the Morton's Neuroma diagnosis (podiatrist has thank-yous on his wall from Hugh Jackman and Baryshnikov; my confidence in him is high, shall we say). TDNWMH.
    Well, I guess the even keel got tipped for a bit. Meh. It'll be fine.

17. 3wishes

Slept in.
    Did not work out but walked 4 miles.
    Turned my car into the dealership as it acted up with sensors during our vacation - the ENTIRE TIME, except - of course - when we had it at the dealership in Canada to see what was wrong. Of course it didn't act up.
    Caught up on e-mails and such...and not much else.
    Pro calls....wants to schedule lesson.....hmmmmm......somehow I'm not enthused as yet.
    Schedule pick up of GS #2,,,,looking forward to seeing him...it's been awhile.
    Prayed that whatever they find about my car, since they informed me they have to take apart the electrical system,,,,is covered under warranty...UGH!!!
    Early to bed.

18. fascination

mon...teach step and cycling...drive to indy...first lessons since usdc...didn't die of it...worked on some things that might help....learn that dh has to fly to munich today so I won't get to see him before he leaves...lovely...apply tequila and out for hours....

19. 3wishes

DH wakes up sore in every bone of his body...well...sigh....he attacked his workout routine previously....and it let him know he wasn't doing this for awhile.
    HA!
    Motor around house doing little things, realize I have two more rooms to finish painting. Head to big box store for paint.
    Call from GMC dealer. Will replace Sensor Part - that is covered under warranty,,, WHEW!!!!
    I'm still stunned that the car battery is under the passenger shot-gun side seat and not under the hood. seriously.
    Lessons with Pro. Good time catching up, start open work....we both are surprised at the ease that I get new figures I haven't done before,,,,,ever. WOW.
    Pick up GS#2. Did he grow 4 inches while I was away?
    Take GS#2 to dance class...where...he...stands....aside....the entire time....and this is unusual and weird.
    OH WAIT...there are new taller 7th grade girls in the group....ahhhh....I got it....this is what he's staring at. Oh MY!!!!
    GS Insists he can come to my house after dance class....and proposes that it is no different than the summer,,,it's just that it's a school night.
    Maybe he'll be a negotiator when he grows up...but no, I return him to his mothers house after class, much to his disappointment that I insist it's
    a school night.
    Catch up on taped shows with DH..who finally at the end of the day is less sore than in the morning.

20. fascination

tues...sleep til 930...run errands...lessons, which were...um.. partly fun and partly miserable in a good for you sort of way...drive home, teach two hours of spin back to back...go home and drink wine...sleep til 3 am when dh texts that he has arrived in Munich nd I am in too much leg pain to go back to bed...whch brings us to today