yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

SATURDAY:
    9-11:30--Volunteer shift at Fall Fest at Child's school. I worked a craft table. It was a craft designed so that even pre-schoolers could do it, which is just about my speed. :)

Child worked the yard sale to raise money to build a well in South Sudan. She also pulled $220 from her personal bank account to give toward this fund. My husband told her that we would match what she donated. She told me "You made a good choice of husbands." ME: "Thanks. I'm glad you approve."

Child and I left Fall Fest at 12 so I could get her lunch and take her to dance. I had written to the company director and requested special permission for her to miss 10-11 Hip Hop and 11-12 Jazz/Lyrical so she could work at this fundraising event, as it meant a lot to her. I promised I would deliver her there before rehearsal started.

Child then had:
    1:30-3--Junior PT rehearsal.
    3:15-4:15--Ballet.
    --dinner break--
    5-9--Hip Hop choreography.

I went to Party City to buy stuff for my sister's baby shower. I should not be let free with a credit card in Party City. I pretty much feel compelled to purchase at least one of every item that says "It's a Boy."

2:30ish-4ish--8.32 miles on treadmill. Shower.

Grading.

Up to studio. Get to see new hip-hop routine. Looks like it has serious potential!

2. ChaChaMama

SUNDAY:
    Read with Child.

Sister's baby shower!!!! Also got to see Sister's new house for the first time.
    Sister was feeling some contraction-ish action toward the beginning of the party. (She is not officially due until 11/9, but I think she could very well go early.)

It was a great party, for the most part. Sister acted very appreciative of the decorations, and the kids enjoyed blowing up balloons, putting a slogan on the "personalize it" banner, etc.

I talked Husband into driving both ways so I could keep reading to Child. :)

Grading that night. Yuck. But it had to be done. Midterm grades due Wednesday at noon, which means effectively Tuesday for me since I teach all morning on Wednesday.

3. ChaChaMama

MONDAY:
    Grading.
    Averaging.
    Submit grades for ENG 1101. (Had already done my FYS on Friday night or Saturday morning, so two classes down and one to go.)
    Worked out.

Took Child to PT rehearsal. It was great to hear her say after rehearsal how much she loves the new hip-hop number. :)

Read with Child.

4. ChaChaMama

TUESDAY:
    Cupcakes. Lots of cupcakes. Lots of cupcake decorating.

Got my hair colored. I think the last time I did so I was getting ready to go to Manhattan Dancesport Championships...which are held 4th of July weekend. Oops. A little overdue.

Texted and called dance teacher a bunch of times. Not getting an answer. I drive to Bmore on the hope that we are on.
    Arrive at studio. No luck.
    Leave another message. He gets back to me just before I was about to give up and leave. Yay.
    We just do one lesson. Cha and samba go pretty well, I thought. Rumba rocky at first. Paso rockier still. Jive...um...hilarious mistake in the first figure. But we get that and other things straightened out!

Home, stopping at grocery store to get more food dye for icing and more chocolate chips.

Take Child to ballet.

Home. More cupcake decoration. Omg. Why did I think it was a good idea to try to make 8 dozen cupcakes???

5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

thank you ccm..I must say that aside from a bias I won't deny, I simply do not see how a child could get much cuter...and I have given this some serious thought

6. ChaChaMama

WEDNESDAY:
    Child's birthday!
    9:10--ENG 1101. Select mini-research paper topics.

10:20--GLC. Junot Diaz's This is How You Lose Her. The class LOVES the book! I'm very happy.

Lunch break. Ran home and decorated more cupcakes with Husband, then back to campus.

12:40--20th C Brit. Mrs. Dalloway>

1:45--Office hours. Someone came by to talk about being my peer mentor for Fall 2014. Wow. Already? We also talked about how her classes are going.

Picked up Child. Home. Last of cupcake decoration.

4--Off to the studio with 55 cupcakes!

4:30--Child begins her Wednesday night dance marathon.

I drive back home to attend this amazing on campus event!

http://www.carrollcountytimes.com/n...e-dd29-5b8d-9d9b-a6a6e03a643c.html?mode=story

Very proud that 14 out of 15 of my FYS students went to the event and were sitting in the first row that wasn't reserved for special guests. Rock on, amazing kids!!! (I offered them some extra credit, but still...that is a HUGE turn out. Very pleased and proud that they are taking advantage of opportunities like this.)

Then back to pick up Child.

Put her to bed, put myself to bed!

7. fascination

mon/tues/wed/thurs/heaven

ChaChaMama, j_alexandra and Sania like this.
  8. fascination

fri=last day in paradise...poured some tequila on it...on the road by noon today...heart full of love

9. ChaChaMama

THURSDAY:
    -Eyebrow waxing.
    -Went in to the office briefly and sent a detailed (but, as it turns out, fairly futile) message to our new educational librarian.
    -Spent a little time with my in-laws from New Mexico.
    -Wrote in my diary.
    -Auditioned for VagMons.
    -Went to women's volleyball and hung out with my first years. (One woman from the class is on the team.) We won!

FRIDAY:
    Child had the day off school so got to spend extra time with the in-laws.
    9:10--ENG 1101. Library session. Did not go as I had hoped. We have a whole new team of instructional librarians as last year a bunch of people quit. Suffice it to say that I miss the librarian who used to cover my area A LOT.

10:20--GLC. Discussion of Junot Diaz's This Is How You Lose Her. At least two students in the class say that this is "The best book I have read, EVER!" Wow. There is a visiting student, and we are being our typically zany selves. I said "We're not always like this!" and then "Yeah. We kind of are." The whole class roared with laughter.

Spent the lunch break dealing with a parent situation, as the dean for first year students is out of town.

12:40--20th Brit Lit. Aldous Huxley's Brave New World.

1:45, 2:15, 2:50--3 student appointments.

Grocery store.

Home by 5.

Out to dinner at Olive Garden with in-laws around 6. Child was a bit nervous, because the only other time she has ever been to Olive Garden, she ordered cheese ravioli and didn't like it, barely ate a bite until dessert. (I could eat their salad and bread sticks alone and make a meal of it, but she doesn't like bread....) Luckily, this Olive Garden had pizza (Maybe they all do?), so that worked. I had the Venetian apricot chicken from the lighter fare menu and a tiny dolcini dessert...but still managed to make myself feel uncomfortably full. My stomach has been a little crabby ever since I finished frosting the cupcakes and licked the spoon and knife I had used to frost them. Poor choice on my part.

Wrote in my diary and typed up some notes from my Tuesday dance lesson before slipping beneath the electric blanket. Mmmm!

10. fascination

pack, leave...sad to begin the trip back...for a variety of reasons...but I have 39 1/2 hours to try to figure out how to change what I don't want ....drive to central Idaho...

11. fascination

drive from idaho to nebraska....reflect on many many aspects of life...gain some clarity...grieve some things...hopefully make it to home tomo night...I love driving through the West

12. fascination

mon...nebraska to home...over 13 hours...scarcely without stopping....deal with an outrageously stupid bunch of crap fueled by persons' with too much time on their hands...have to put out ensuing fires...at least it occupies the time

tues...still on pacific time and it is going to bite me on wed...clean up after catswho are not appreciative of my absence...quick grocery trip...prepare some healthy meals, teach spin...spend some time ignoring whining of folks who don't like the new boss and more time listening to a new, recently widowed member....home and unable to sleep due to Pacific time issue

wed; alarm goes off this morn....have three hours of fitness ahead...not going to be pretty...nap certain

13. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

Tuesday: MCAT studying in morning. Teach labs from 11:30-3:30, have fire alarm in second lab. Students get cranky because they don't think they have enough time. Have them share data so they have enough time to complete the write-up. Pharmacology lecture, and then advanced pharmacology discussion. MCAT prep class. Get home and watch 20 min tv while eating a snack, more MCAT stuyding, then to bed.

14. ChaChaMama

SATURDAY: Worked out. Read with Child after she got back from dance. Drove to Lancaster, PA.

SUNDAY: Child had a dance convention from 8:15-4. I read Jhumpa Lahiri's The Lowlands, graded papers, and chatted with other dance moms.

MONDAY:
    9, 9:20, 9:40--ENG 1101 appts.
    10:20--*FABULOUS* discussion of language politics in GLC. We watched part of the documentary "V-Day: Until the Violence Stops." We then started discussing why it matter what you call the vagina, and then that spurred a discussion of The Inclusive Language Campaign, the n-word, the b-word, the c-word, etc. Should these be words we eliminate from our vocabulary or is it context specific? Our class is very diverse: 5 African-Americans, 2 Latino/a students, 1 Asian-American student, 2 students with part Middle Eastern backgrounds, and 6 white students. No one seemed to feel inhibited about expressing their opinions and they did not all agree! It was a very respectful and provocative discussion. This is what I live for!

Info about The Inclusive Language Campaign:
    http://thestamp.umd.edu/multicultural_involvement_community_advocacy/inclusive_language

Lunch, grading.

12:40--20th C Brit Lit. Brave New World.

2, 2:20, 2:40, 3, 3:20, 3:40, 4--1 personal appointment, and the rest ENG 1101. The personal one rocked my world. Suffice it to say that it is a MIRACLE that some of our students make it to college given the challenges they grew up with, economic and psychological. Wow. Humbling to realize.

Race home, get Child ready for ballet, shoot back out in ~10 mins.

5:15-6:15--Junior PT rehearsal.

Home. I was planning to read with Child, but there are supposed to be a ton of shooting stars tonight and she wants to go out and watch that. So we lie on our back staring at the night sky until I get too cold!

15. ChaChaMama

TUESDAY:
    9, 9:20, 9:40--ENG 1101.
    10:10--Office of Diversity and Multicultural Affairs and Office of Student Engagement talk to my first years.
    11:30-1--Big English Department meeting on weighty issues.

Home. Shower.

2:30-4--Double Nik lesson.

Home. Get Child ready for ballet.

7-8:15--Junior Int/Adv Ballet.

Home. Put Child to bed.

A little downtime, including checking out heat lists for Paragon. Hey! J_Alex is going too!!!!!!!!!! Neat-o!!!!!!

16. fascination

doing today now as I am about to get busy again and anticipate early bed time....

wed; up early and it hurt...still on pacific time

buy a few songs on itunes so that I can use in spin class b/c the widower I met last night likes the beatles and is missing his wife

teach step one, gentle stretch, spin and Y get moving
    talk with a co-worker.
    continue apology tour with the cats
    fall asleep for an hour and a half
    eat, df, fb

rest of day will be laundry, cleaning out my car, attempting to find my address book
    hopefully setting up appointments with my engaged couples
    possibly practicing
    possibly taking pics of the stuff I want to put in the df auction (mostly shoes and jewelry)
    also need to feed the dog...and whatever else ison that long list I made yesterday

17. fascination

thurs...teach blast...STILL not adjusting well to the return to CST...and it is freaking COLD...feel better after teaching...home to do laundry...look up local hot yoga as I strongly feel that my body cannot make another winter without it...plan my new cardio fusion class, eat A LOT of ground turkey, take a nap...teach spin, teach fusion...home to wine and warm clothes...

18. fascination

sleep in til 8 ...wow

teach spin and y getmoving...head to meijer for various odds and ends...pretty much crash and burn for the rest of the day...4 fitness classes back tomo morning so I am going with it

19. fascination

teach blast, toning, fusion and zumba...deal with continuing waves of kvetching from folks who are mad about recent staff changes....home, tired....feeling like I would have preferred to stay in Oregon...dh is at a golf outing...we have not seen much of each other since august between his travels and mine...and the next two weeks will not be much better...am busy at both of my jobs at the gym and church butjust feel like things have been pretty rough for a while...looking forward to quiet holidays at home

20. fascination

sleep til nearly 9...glorious...dh gets home from golf outing...so nice to see him...we catch up then go to grocery and farm market...lunch, then nap...again, wonderful...I practice then do some yard work... dinner soon then I am committed to mindless reality tv for a few hours....then, well...more catching up