yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

WEDNESDAY:
    9, 9:20, 9:40--ENG 1101 appts.
    10:20--GLC. Another great discussion of "The Vagina Monologues."

Lunch break, grading.

12:40--20th C Brit Lit. Waiting for Godot.

1:45, 2:05, 2:25--ENG 1101 appts.

Blast off from campus to pick up Child, home, transform into dance clothes and hair, out.

4:30-9--Child's dance marathon. I stay at the studio because she was feeling congested and I wanted to make sure she didn't want to go home early.

THURSDAY:
    9--Tanning appointment.

10-12:15 and 1-3--Grading marathon.

3:30--Quality time with Child, reading Rick Riordan's House of Hades.

Shower off excess from spray tan.

6--Dinner at college prez's house.

7:30--MARJORIE GARBER. "Occupy Shakespeare: Shakespeare in/and the Humanities."
  2. ChaChaMama

FRIDAY:
    9:10--ENG 1101. Disappointing turn-out for peer review.

10:20--GLC. Great discussion of Colonize This! We also plan our pumpkin carving party.

Lunch break.

12:40--20th Brit--Finish "Waiting for Godot." Introduce Larkin.

Grocery store, home.

3:30-5--Finish reading Rick Riordan's House of Hades with Child.

6:30-10:30--Drive to NJ!
    Purr likes this.
  3. ChaChaMama

SATURDAY:
    7:15--Up early to watch the wonderful and gorgeous j_alex dance smooth, then standard!!!

7:45-10:15ish--She dances, I watch. She does great! I can't believe this is her first standard comp.

12:30--Boyko appointment. They are running a bit late, so it actually winds up being more like 12:50ish. I don't dance until 3:30, so this is fine.

3:30--COMPETITION TIME!
    1st (out of 2) in my open silver.
    3rd (out of 5--including top national competitor in my age group!) in open gold. I will take that!!! Pleased.
    3rd (out of 6) in open scholarship. YAY!!!!!!
    My teacher to me: "You held your own." That counts as a compliment!

Look through photos that j_alex generously stayed to take. :)

7:30--Back for the evening session, which was AMAZING! Many top amateur latin competitors were in the house. Really enjoyed that.

Might have stayed up until 2:30 AM. Oops! (The session didn't end until after 1 AM, so....)
    3wishes, fascination, Sania and 4 others like this.
  4. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Those top Latin competitors: well, the comp was run by the Gavrilines. That's gotta bring out the Latin folks.

You looked great!
    ChaChaMama likes this.
  5. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I finished my copy as well, and I'm looking forward to Blood of Olympus next year to finish the series. How did Child like House of Hades?
  6. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

sigh...where to start....monday/today

arrive at work to see that a woman who has disrupted my classes for months/years has shown up bright and early to let my boss know about my having finally opened a can of whoopa$$ on her this weekend...lovely....you can kvetch for years on end to me about others, but the minute I shut it down you have to take that to someone else...good luck with that sweetie pie...gratefully both of the bosses know that I am diplomatic and have a long fuse that if I open a can of whoop, it is long overdue...but the whole thing is seriously exhausting....teach 4 classes...have exactly no time to pump gas, feed pets, pack clothes and get to indy...then...wait for it...discover half way into the trip that my wallet is missing....text pro...no answers...drive home... frantically back track....takes too long to find it so no lessons today after missing 5 of the weeks since usdc ...thankfully my pro doesn't sound like he wants to throttle me...so okay...better than expected...going to bed...warn dh that I love him but he can make his own dinner...he can wake me up for only one reason...we will see...at any rate, not sure when I stepped into this tar pit....but, enough already.....
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  7. ChaChaMama

@fascination--While that does sound like a sucktastic day (and I can relate to the leaving one's wallet story all too well), I'm just relieved to hear that the bad news doesn't have anything to do with any family members, esp not The Cutest One! I hope the rest of the week makes this Mondayish Monday a distant memory.

@Purr--We both really liked it! On a side note, I was also thrilled that Riordan chose to make one of the main characters gay. Who is your favorite of the demi-gods in this series? Mine is Leo.
  8. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

9. fascination

thanks ccm...yes, currently all of those other issues are holding their own...for which I am truly grateful....and The Cutest One continues to make me smile inside regardless of the day
  10. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Let's try this again. I tried to reply to ccm, but it didn't work right.

Currently, my favorite character in the series is Hazel. She didn't start out as my favorite character - Leo was. Hazel grew on me through the last book, especially after her interaction with Hecate. So besides being a child of Pluto, Hazel can channel the power of the mist, like Hecate. That's something. It's interesting that her boyfriend, Frank, also has the powers of 2 gods. He's a child of Mars, but he also has the ability to morph into animals through the blessing of Poseiden.

I'm not having a warm and fuzzy feeling that Nico is going to make it through the end of the series. Somehow, I think the "oath to keep with a final breath" is about him.
  11. fascination

drive to indy...lessons....didn't die of them...well enough then...drive home and teach spin which included an improvement in attitudes of persons formerly mentioned as PITAS...home for dinner and wine...staff meeting...anal about whether or not I spoke too much there...note to self; do not have wine for dinner now that staff meetings are in the evening...but, all in all, an okay turnout for a day I was dreading on both fronts....
  12. fascination

wed...horrible day...hear that a friend has taken a stupid pill and moved out of her home/mid-life crisis style..am placed in awkward situation...speak some truths....teach three classes...go home and sleep, complete various tasks around the house, spend evening chatting with dh about the situation as we are very close friends with the entire family, her spouse, their kids etc...

thurs...truths not appreciated, words exchanged, there goes that friendship, at least for now.....lovely...teach class in the morning and then two in the evening...pretty much spent...now up in middle of the night...will get back to bed soon but it has been a pretty aggitating day
  13. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Wow... sounds like everyone around you lately is losing their minds...
  14. fascination

15. fascination

but I checked with my husband and he said I'm okay
    ChaChaMama, FancyFeet and cornutt like this.
  16. ChaChaMama

SUNDAY:
    Having gone to bed at 2:30 AM, I got up at 8:15 AM. Going to be a long day on not much sleep!

10-2--Drove home from NJ. Stopped at a Barnes&Noble in Lancaster and had an amazing turkey, cheese, and cranberry relish panini. It was SO yummy! It was also my first normal meal since lunch the day before. (I kind of had snacks instead of dinner the night before, as there wasn't much time between the morning and the evening session.)

Home. Unpacked. Cleaned up a bit, in preparation for....

5:30-9--FIRST YEAR SEMINAR PUMPKIN CARVING PARTY!!! We had the best time! I *LOVE* my class.
    We also had pizza at the party, so this was a big eating day for me!

MONDAY:
    9:10--ENG 1101. Picked research paper topics.

10:20--GLC. Discussion of _Colonize This!_

Lunch, grading.

12:40--20th C Brit Lit. Poetry of Phillip Larkin.

2-4--Office hours, grading.

Scurried home.

5:15--Child's rehearsal.

Put Child to bed.
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2013
  17. ChaChaMama

TUESDAY:
    I wound up going to the grocery store at like 7:15 AM because we were out of a lot of stuff. (Shout out to my H for taking care of Child this weekend, but...how about shopping too? Because we shouldn't be running out of milk and stuff.)
    Got somewhat shocking news at the store. Safeway may go out on strike. I was asked if I would support the workers, and of course I would.

9-10--Office hours. Lots of grading.

10:10--GLC. Discussion of _Without a Net_.

Lunch and grading.

1-2:30--Meeting.

Grading.

Got Child ready for dance.

7--Child's ballet class.

Put Child to bed.
  18. ChaChaMama

WEDNESDAY, crazy person WEDNESDAY:
    Husband says he is not feeling well. Swell. He was supposed to help Child get ready for literary tea tomorrow, but now he's begging off of that because he says he would contaminate the cupcakes. And he is leaving on a 4 day business trip.

8:45, 9, 9:15, 9:30, 9:45--ENG 1101 abstract and works cited appointments.

10:20--AMAZING conversation in GLC of Without a Net.

Lunch and maybe a student appt.

12:40--20th C Brit Lit. Larkin.

1:45, 2, 2:15, 2:30--ENG 1101 appts.

Pick up Child. Home. Make cupcakes. Throw cupcakes in oven. Tell Husband he is responsible simply for taking them out of the oven.

4:30--Drop Child at studio for her dance marathon.

5--Home to discover...what the? Cupcakes are out, but about 3 of them look noticeably...dirty? Husband says yeah, he dropped them in the oven. What?!? Shoot Husband "the look." Throw out the errant cupcakes.

5:45--Workout. 8 miles.

Handle a couple work related e-mails.

Go pick up Child.
    Put Child to bed.
  19. ChaChaMama

THURSDAY:
    Again I wind up at the grocery store by around 7:30 AM because we need cream for the literary tea.

Husband takes Child to school, then leaves on trip.

9-12:30--Grade like maniac.

1:30-2:45--Literary tea at Child's school.
    3--School dismissal and drive Child home.

--Can't remember what we did in here. I know dinner was involved.--

6:15--Trick or treating.
    7:30--Cruise by my VagMon rehearsal.

Put Child to bed in my bed. Oh, to heck with it. Join her around 9:30. I have been running on fumes.
  20. ChaChaMama

FRIDAY:
    9, 9:15, 9:30, 9:45--ENG 1101.

10:20--GLC. Pick research topics. Some people actually clap their hands with excitement when they find a research paper topic they like. I have to say that my research paper topics do kind of rock. :)

2 student appointments over my lunch break, one for ENG 1101 and one advisee, so I only get about 15 mins to eat my pb sandwich and cookies.

12:40--20th C Brit Lit. Salman Rushdie's _The Ground Beneath Her Feet_.

Quick advisee meeting.
    1:45, 2, 2:15, 2:30--ENG 1101 appts.

Pick up Child. Let her have a little time at home, but I need to go back.

4--ENG 1101 appt.

On to Target to buy birthday presents.

6--Drop Child at a sleepover birthday party, the first of two birthday parties she will be attending this weekend.

8ish--Workout! 6 miles on treadmill.

Decide that I have earned the right to have the bed ALL TO MYSELF. No Husband, No Child, no dog, no cats. Just me, my pillows, and my electric blanket, getting my sleep on.
    (Don't get me wrong: I love all of these mammals, and I enjoy sharing a bed with Child when her Dad is out of town some of the time. But I really do sleep best by myself! Sleeping with Child starts out really sweet, but she must have the most active dreams because it often becomes like sleeping with someone doing mixed martial arts practice.)