yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

FRIDAY:

5:15--Up. Cannot fall back to sleep. So excited that Sister is having her baby!!!!
    Get on our learning management system and cancel my 12:40 class. I will leave work at noon.
    Then check e-mail and discover that Sister's 12:15 AM induction has been delayed and won't happen until at least 7 AM.

Pack up things that we might want for hospital waiting room, so that I can transition quickly when we get home.
    8:20--Child to school.

9, 9:20, 9:40, 10, 10:15, 10:30, 10:45--Appointments with ENG 1101 and with FYS students.

Eat lunch. Phone Husband with update on sister...who as it turns out wasn't induced until noon. Arrange appointment schedule for next week. E-mail it to students in all first-year classes. Post it on door. Leave work.

1ish--Home.

Some time to relax, catch up on laundry, write in diary, read.

Evening update: Sister has only dilated 1 cm. If more doesn't happen soon, they are going to stop the pitocin, let her take a shower and eat dinner, and try again the next day.

Child goes to bed.

Night update, around 9:30 PM: Things have progressed rather suddenly. Sister now at 8 cm and will probably give birth in the middle of the night. WOW!
    After some deliberation, we decide to drive up first thing the next day.

SUNDAY:
    Check e-mail. Baby Boy born at 3:02 AM!!! WOO-HOO!!!! My sister and I are the only two kids in our family, and this is her first child (at age 40), so this is my first nephew! 8 lbs, 9.12 oz and 21 inches...so a big boy! A photo! He has the funniest expression on his face, like "What is all this? Light? Cold? Loud noises? I am unimpressed."
    Get family mobilized. We are out of the house by about 7:45 or 8 AM.

We are at the hospital by 9 AM. Mom, Dad, and Baby are asleep, so we wait patiently (okay, semi-patiently! Outside the room, in any case), until they wake.

~10 AM-4:30--Time with my new nephew! We each get a turn to snuggle him. One time, he cries a little, and I rock him and sing him a mellow version of "Alligators all around" (from the Maurice Sendak book, orig. sung by Carole King), which is my version of a lullabye. He likes it! And he is a very mellow and good little baby so far! He also seems to take to nursing like a champ!

Child stays until 11:30 AM (missing her first two dance classes), then heads in for rehearsal, with Husband driving her. I take a 1 hour break at 12:30 to grab lunch (had that yummy turkey and cranberry sandwich from Barnes & Noble Cafe again) and give the other side of the family a little 1-on-1 time. I wind up staying the rest of the afternoon along with my Mom, though, as the baby's dad has gone home to shower and take a nap and I feel like my sister wants a little company and assistance. Mom went and watched the nurse give the baby his first bath while I stayed in sister's room with her while she took a shower, just in case she felt light-headed and needed help.

Great day for our family. YAY new life!
    Sania likes this.
  2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

so happy for your family
  3. fascination

mon...coffee...teach step, gentle stretch, spin and Y get moving....lunch, pet care, laundry...drive to indy...lessons which do not cause me to want to hurl myself from a bridge...so grateful that I barely minded the freezing rain...marinade self in bengay and tequila...asleep til 2 wherein the usual " who does this to their body?" sorts of pains wake me up...also hot b/c I have cranked the heat to 80 to deal with the soreness ...and thirsty for...well....obvious reasons
  4. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

Worked all day, late meeting, got home watched DWTS, then collapsed into bed. Got awesome 7 hours of sleep, wake up today , repeat for 5 more days
  5. fascination

tues...hotel brekkies, morning joe, df, fb, gas station, bank, lunch...4 lessons...drive home...sammich...teach spin...salad and wine...sleep slathered in bengay immanent
  6. fascination

wed...teach 4 classes...eat large salad...go to bed...spend afternoon cooking....and lounging...because I cannot expend any more energy.....can't....homemade chili...bed early
  7. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

I should add that just because I go to my instructor to complain about another student's dancing, that doesn't necessarily mean that other student is in the wrong... sometimes, when I go to my instructor and say something like, "Doing cha-cha with X is like dancing with a bag of gravel", the answer that comes back is, "Well, if you'd quit wielding your left arm like a crowbar in a gang fight, maybe it wouldn't feel that way." :rolleyes:
  8. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

CONGRATS CCMM, it's amazing the power of holding a newborn! such joy!
    Circuit training, DH says he is not impressed with squats he did, until much later in day when he says how sore he is from them...lol.
    Yoga, new instructor, a gent, and he really gets the class into long long stretch poses...fabulous, really,,,,this is exactly what I hoped for.
    Coaching - for showcase. Fun time, I broke down and put together a black satin circle skirt for the Paso, realized that I loved my red with black
    patterned fabric so much, that the costume I made would be great for Halloween next year with my Red Hat. Couldn't bring myself to alter it for Paso.
    Home to several phone calls, did I mention how hot it was today? no? well late into the evening our AC is still coming on.
  9. fascination

lovie, are you on the right thread :)?
    nikkitta likes this.
  10. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Oops. :pain:
  11. ChaChaMama

Sunday:
    -Sent Sister Edible Arrangements basket in hospital.
    -Took Child to dance rehearsal for a musical theater style number.
    -Did various chores such as laundry and groceries.
    -Read Cynthia Enloe's Seriously! Investigating Crashes and Crises as if Women Mattered. [Provocative title, huh? I had to have it.]
    -Wrote in diary.
    -Kept track of breaking situation at work: power went out for half of campus.

Monday:
    -Work cancelled due to ongoing power problems. Wow. Very unexpected.
    -Did a 9 mile workout on the treadmill.
    -Took Child to dance.
    -Read a lot more Seriously!

Tuesday:
    Problems are somewhat better, as more buildings are on generators, but it turns out several buildings are still not open. These include THE LIBRARY and THE GYM. Not great.
    9, 9:20, 9:40--ENG 1101 appts. One person stands me up. Dude...we are compressing a 5 day workweek into 4. You won't get a second chance.
    10:10--Flex session with career services.
    11:30--Department meeting.
    1--Hoped to have some re-scheduled student appts, but people can't do this time slot, HOWEVER, this turns out to be a good thing as I get asked to step in and help with the crisis management. Cancel all remaining flex sessions for the week, as we are running short on rooms with electricity.
    2:30--Student appt.
    And then I handle some details related to the big lecture next week and write a letter of recommendation.

Home. Dinner.
    Take Child to ballet.
    Finish reading Seriously!

WEDNESDAY:
    9, 9:20, 9:40, 10, 10:20, 10:40, 11--Appts for ENG 1101 and FYS. One student says he is totally unprepared, but would like to take my open slot on Friday. Dude. I have no open slots. If I did, I would fill them in. School was closed on Monday. He says that he thought I had a slot because he saw xxxx at one point on the schedule. Yes. That's when I shove some food in my mouth and go teach my upper level class. I manage to be pleasant about this, but I am wondering about the degree of entitlement here. (He also missed his appointment the previous week.)
    Lunch break. Cupcake food truck on the quad!!!!!! Go score some cupcakes. Never say there aren't some good things going on during this crisis.
    12:40--20th C Brit Lit. Rushdie.
    1:45, 2:05, 2:25--ENG 1101 appts. My next door neighbor has three colleagues standing in the door of his office and they are laughing and talking SUPER LOUDLY, which is not too cool given that I am with students. I love my colleagues, but do you need to be roaring with laughter in the middle of my appointments?
    2:52--Race out to pick up Child.
    Transition.
    4--Leave for dance.
    4:30-9--Child's dance marathon.
    I put in 8 miles on treadmill. Shower.

Start reading Ruth Ozeki's A Tale for the Time Being.
  12. fascination

wake at 7....no internet...curses
    8 teach blast
    9-4; laundry, cat litter cleaning, feed animals, pay bills, set up mammogram, set up car repair, sleep the sleep of the dead, make an early fabulous dinner for dh, make new playlists for spin.....
    5-7 teach spin, teach fusion....exhaust
    8 drop car off to mechanic
    830....talk politics and religion with dh...drink wine...bed soon
  13. nikkitta

nikkitta Well-Known Member

CCM - what are these "appointments"? Are they required meetings with your students?
  14. ChaChaMama

@nikkitta--They are required meetings. Right now, my ENG 1101 students are working on 8-10 page research papers. Instead of having class, I meet with each one of the students for 20 minutes to talk about his/her draft in progress.

In the 1-on-1 meetings, I am trouble-shooting the papers and hopefully helping students maximize their learning and their grade. Some of the students really know what they are doing and need only a few suggestions. Others have major problems, e.g., they are just slapping a bunch of information into the essay with no real thesis or argument, their Works Cited include no scholarly sources, they have no ability to understand what people on the other side of the argument and therefore no rebuttal, they aren't citing things in the required format, their Works Cited isn't in alphabetical order, etc.

So really, when a student misses an appointment or shows up unprepared, he's only hurting himself (or herself, but in this case, himself.) It's not my paper and it's not my grade!
  15. ChaChaMama

Thursday:
    Guess what? No school again today. But--good news--by the end of today, they think the problem is fixed! Yay!!!

10:15--Eyebrow waxing.

Rest of day includes:
    -Reading and responding to two student essay drafts online.
    -Getting big lecture into campus announcements.
    -Reading Ruth Ozeki novel.
    -Helping students with last minute registration issues.
    -Making lemon chicken and potatoes.
    -Grocery shopping and laundry.

Bad health news--possibly very bad--about father-in-law clouds the day. Husband is very upset and only slept about 4 hours last night because he is worrying so much.
  16. fascination

am sorry to hear that ccm

take dh to train b/c I need his car and mine is in shop
    teach spin then YGM...recieve the disturbing news that a second friend this week has lost her husband
    home to field some calls about engaged couples and the upcoming grief group that I am going to be doing
    graze...nap...hustle to get some groceries to the food pantry for a big neighborhood food drive....continue to try to smooth out some ruffled feathers over the many transitions at the gym...pretty spent...anticipating an evening that doesn't involve much movement...and terribly grateful that tomorrow is a day off of work and dh and I have a corporate event that his firm is hosting tomo, which may actually feel like; a date...at the Museum of Science an Industry....which means that tomorrow I will not have to cook, do dishes, or work
    j_alexandra likes this.
  17. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

yesterday- busy intense day at work again. Have not had time to do anything else besides come home, eat and sleep. Next week, plan to complete Christmas shopping.
  18. ChaChaMama

Friday: Crazy intense day of appointments because of school cancellations earlier in the week, and then Child had a friend sleep over.

Saturday:
    -8.25 miles on treadmill.
    -Read about 230 pages. Oops. Two different books: Ruth Ozeki's _A Tale for the Time Being_ and Marie Lu's _Champion_, both published in 2013.
    -Did a little grading.
    -Worked on my schedule for next week.
    -Watched "The Living Daylights" with the family. Yes, we're back to our "watch all the James Bond movies" Family Fun Night plan. Eh--Timothy Dalton is not my favorite Bond.
    -Cut out a ton of Boxtops for Education.
  19. fascination

saturday...sleep til 8...how glorious is that?...peacefully putter around on the internet until someone calls at 9, and in my hurry to go see who it is, I launch a full cup of coffee into the air, which <<TRUST ME>> could not have hit more places in the TV room...spend some time being cranky pants and cleaning that...go to grocery with dh....our new empty nest ritual.....secure a new reasonable rate with a new hotel in indy because I am finally starting to feel a small bit optimistic that I will recover from my current dance funk and I can't go back to the the"Bed Bug Inn"...two strikes and you are out on that little problem...partcularly when I don't get refunded....pretty moronic given the amount of business I gave them...but fine...

it is a weird night as I am missing the studio showcase because dh wanted me to attend a Chicago Bar Foundation Charity event sponsored by his firm....an evening in which all proceeds go toward providing legal help for those who cannot afford it...dh has been feeling a bit...um...ambivilent about my dancing of late, and I thought it important as he is at a new firm....I have not been to this museum in a long time....we frequent other Chicago museums fairly regularly, but not this one....I am glad I went...for a variety of reasons....I think it has been good for me to take a break this year in some of my previous dancing committments including Ohio...as dance has been the 800 pound gorilla in my life for over 8 years now...and I feel very fortunate to have a healthy husband who wants to be with me...and it was fun...the entire place was decorated for Christmas around the World and it was fun to look at and read about the ways in which other countries do or do not celebrate a winter holiday....the other displays at the Museum have been vastly upgraded since the last time I was there....so we walked through the area on cloning and saw the cloned animals there and also went through the physical science area where the kids get to make a "tornado"...there are a few areas that are a bit too graphic for me ...but it really is an awesome Museum and I always feel grateful that we live so close to the city...and, as a cherry on top of the cake, dh won all three of the items he bid on in silent auction...I am grateful that it didn't cost more than what I would normally spend to go to Ohio Star....he won 4 passes to Medina, where the 2012 Ryder cup was held, Architectual tour of the city, and tickets to "wait wait don't tell me" coupled with a gift certificate to eat at "girl and the goat", which is stephanie izzard's restuarant.....anyhow ....a lovely evening, in spite of having to comfort our daughter again about that whole Northwestern football situation
    j_alexandra likes this.
  20. fascination

sun....sleep in some more...sew a bunch of things....watch for bad weather...see a bunch of engaged couples....planning on being useless now til bed time