yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

So I'm like a week behind, but for sort of good reasons.

TUESDAY: Individual appointments, grading, first year team meeting, took Child to dance.

WEDNESDAY: ENG 1101 oral presentations Day 1, individual appointments...and then my day blew up.
    Received information about a student in crisis which required me to take action, in the form of referring it to Counseling.
    Oh, and also taught my 20th C Brit Lit class. Office hours.
    Talked with Counseling.
    Took Child to dance. Worked out and read Marie Lu's Champion on the treadmill., but only got to do 4 miles, as they were going to do costume fittings back at the studio...and then they didn't let parents in to talk about alterations after all, but said they would send an e-mail.
    Talked with Counseling again.

THURSDAY: Graded.
    (Over)packed.
    Talked with my Dad about plans for Thanksgiving week.
    Worked out.
    Boring meeting with assessment guru. Meeting with Academic Planning Committee.
    And a chat with an investigator from Campus Safety. :(
    A little more last minute packing, then off to Columbus for OSB!

FRIDAY: Watching an amazing amount of Am Latin.
    Dinner at North Market (Fidous Express).
    Wrote in diary.
    Evening session featuring Am Latin final, Pro Rhythm, Pro Standard.

SATURDAY: Worked out.
    Graded papers.
    Received elaborate e-mail from Child's dance studio about costume pieces we need to buy and alterations we need to make in the next 2 weeks.
    Tried on probably 15 dresses at the Dore booth. I came reasonably close to buying one, but decided I needed to sleep on it.
    Dinner at North Market (Flavors of India).
    Evening session featuring Am Standard final, Pro Smooth, Pro Latin.

SUNDAY: Woke up really unfortunately early and could not fall back to sleep. Graded papers. Packed. Flew home. Bumpy landing left me feeling sick. Drove home and took a nap. In a little bit of a funk, emotionally, both about the stuff which preceded OSB and about one thing that happened there. Graded some more.

MONDAY: ENG 1101 oral reports.
    GLC class on best practices for oral reports, which they will do next week.
    Long talk with peer mentor.
    FB post by Child's dance studio about things we need to buy for holiday parade on SATURDAY. Um...lead time could be better here. Also, they seem to assume that asking you to get something at Walmart is perfectly reasonable. I asked if another retail establishment would be acceptable, and they said they wanted everyone's to be the same. Ugh. Sometimes I feel like I live on a different planet than the rest of my community.
    20th Brit Lit.
    Grading.
    Took Child to dance.
    Put Child to bed and to bed on the early side.
  2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

3w....best wishes to your daughter
    3wishes likes this.
  3. ChaChaMama

TUESDAY: Office hours, wrote up oral reports.
    Left work early to go to Thanksgiving Feast at Child's school...which is followed by a game of student-parent dodgeball. Child is joyous all day.
    Take Child to dance...only to discover there is no ballet. Supposedly we were sent an e-mail. Notably, fully 5 kids are there who did not get this e-mail, and all of them are non-company: either performance team or recreational dancers. I'll bet the e-mail was only sent to the company, which is rehearsing.

WEDNESDAY:
    Omg, had an epic, great night of sleep. SO needed it. (I was running on fumes after OSB, then managed to have a bad night's sleep Sunday-Monday which compounded the problem.)
    Dentist, Part 2.
    Target, Michaels, grocery store.
    1st night Chanukah!
    8.25 miles on treadmill.

THURSDAY:
    Graded 4 research papers.
    Read with Child.
    Made Child's favorite bean salad.
    Small family Thanksgiving-ish event with non-traditional foods: spinach lasagna, bean salad. (Husband had traditional Tgiving foods at lunch...and I may need to make sweet potato latkes from this recipe I saw in the NYTimes before the week is out because I'm curious how that would come out...and it's not every year that Thanksgiving and Chanukah overlap.) Really, really enjoyed having a low key event with just the 3 of us. I wouldn't want to do it every holiday, but it is nice to do it sometimes. I think this actually might have been a first!
    Made a chicken and broccoli stir fry for sister's house tomorrow, a triple batch!
    Watched part of "Licensed to Kill." Not exactly the best Bond movie, though it does have Carey Lowell in it who was later on "Law and Order." Child was mystified by the CD-ROM in one scene. Husband: "It's like an early version of a flash drive." Wow, nothing dates fast than technology, huh? Child was also unimpressed by the idea that the bad guys would have unencrypted, unprotected info on the CD ROM.
    Chanukah, night 2!
  4. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

ok, where did I leave off? Let's start.
    Go to kids school. See assembly, Monday, watch one grand-daughter hold Texas Flag,,,,very cute.
    Kids excited we are in the assembly viewing benches, Kids not excited later - when we were not there for Diversity Day...it was pouring cats and dogs...DD car was on a weird mode so had to drive that to dealership,,,couldn't stay, had to get that into dealership.
    Reassure kids, mom will be ok, kids are noticeably upset about this knee surgery to their mommy. Ok, LOTS AND LOTS of reassurance going on.
    Drop kids off at school Tuesday morning.
    DD complains about "I cannot eat or drink anything yet I have an afternoon surgery" We, as in DH and myself, give her such a look, she stops! THANK you very much.
    Drive to Bee Cave Surgery Center. Meet with Doctor. I immediately realize why DD feels quite comfortable with him, he knows his stuff!!
    Doctor informs us, DD is in the top 2% of patients that have EVERYTHING wrong with their kneecap. And that SHE should be in his teaching textbook for his students at UT. uhhhhhhhhh, hmmmmm.
    Switch up with DD, SO, and DH driving, getting food, picking up kids, waiting, waiting waiting.
    Doctor comes out,,,3 hours later and 6 procedures on DD. Go over after-care, therapy, knee machine, appointments, meds.
    Doctor is very pleased with his repair work, clean up, insertion of metal sleeve into re-created "v" groove to hold knee cap in place, two screws, repositioning muscles, tendons, etc. He tells us, DD will be able to trust her knee again but not be a racquetball player. ok,,,,GOT IT...WHEW, Thank Goodness.
    Yes, I'm out of my dance money, but this is a no-brainer....after 17 years DD will be able to do things that many of us take for granted
    DH and I and her SO, get her around house, movement machine, lots of pillows, no stairs, deal with her two nutty dogs (Austrailian is still a big goofy puppy). All of us trade off so someone can do household things, deal with car, take care of DD, and still sleep...sorta.
    Kids call. Happy their mom is ok, upset mom sounds so weird on phone (she is still sleepy talking).
    DH does not let DD put off movement machine. He's a good coach, having been there and done that several years ago.
    DD and I spent time on-line doing Black Friday with Free Shipping for her Xmas shopping for kids. PERFECT!!!
    Dogs know something is out of whack, the Australian stays under the bench where DD is doing her therapy and does not budge until he sees her moving around. hmmmm.
    DD and I have a lot of fun doing Black Friday on-line with Kohl's while watching the UT game and note that our other family members who are attending this game...are FREEZING cold even through their layers.
    The final comment of last night, "thank you soooo much" before she passes out after her dad, my DH, gets that last little bit of machine knee movement to complete the 4 hours she needs.
    ahhhhh, life. A thank you goes a long long way.
    Sania likes this.
  5. fascination

wow....I really did take a whole week off of df...other than a few posts...

last sunday; I don't remember much except having to see engaged clients, being exhausted, and having another epic fued with dh....this is rare for us to be something that happens more than quarterly...but we have both been wildly busy and so were not our best selves....so...very . little. sleep

therefore, monday, I was exhausted and had to teach four classes then drive to indy for 4 lessons...I was dreading that as I was tired and we are just barely out of critical condition there...blessedly, mercifully, while sore and underwhelming in new shoes that caused several very painful blisters, it was an improvement upon previous lessons...marinade in tequila, didn't even bring my lap top as I felt a need to get away for real....sleep soundly

tuesday; lance huge blood blister on left ball of foot....soak in tub....apply, bengay, advil, liquid skin, and bandages....head to bank and gas station, then lunch where I have salad and wine....and lessons go better...I also think a bit of underlying frustration got aired out in friendly ways...home to teach spin...collapse in heap even though I know I have to clean house because company arrives for holidays next day

wed..up at 6 to clean house b/c I have to work 4 classes ...and expect company by noon...also hit grocery store...spend rest of day cooking

thurs; thanksgiving at brother's house...also brief stop at in-laws...got to see many folks...but had to do a bunch of cooking at home, then more at brother's...so fairly fatigued...get home late....out cold

fri....teach fitness, then we go to cut down tree....one of our favorite rituals of the year...was a lovely time... and rest of evening is spent decorating, eating tacos, and playing cards...pretty near perfect

sat (today)...thusfar, taught a class and got to skype cutest baby in the world...now all is perfect ...nap immanent
  6. 3wishes

Black Friday, done and done...on-line with Kohl's cash back, free shipping. Give Cash Back...to DD and SO...so they can finish on-line shopping for kiddos and each other.
    Daughter pushes herself in her movement machine...and eventually the sealed bandage...does not stretch. She peels it off...uhhhhh, big ol' incision, on old incision and many inches more. Lots of bruises. Not a picture for the faint of heart. DS calls and Facetimes with his sister. We hear the banter and he suggests that she put Christmas bows on her incision...ahhhh, siblings,,,some things will always stay the same no matter how old they get.
    We hear the word "proposal planning to girlfriend" out of DS's mouth to his sister...and DH and I stare at each other....fingers crossed!!!! I hope, I hope, I hope. DS does not know we can hear him...but I'm happy...just hope it happens.
    At end of call we note she is on Alleve once a day,,,and movement is quite good at this point.
    Discuss with DD, us - as in DH and myself heading home. I make plans to fly back on Dec. 20th as she has the kids for Christmas! YIPPEEEE.
    DH and I note another new experience, being with grandkids at their home on Christmas Morning. This will be a first time! We are excited but I'm flying back and DH is driving.
    DH has announced quite loudly that he WILL outwit the little escape artist dog,,,as the big goofy puppy cannot escape but the little one does.
    DH comes back from store with fencing. Rolled Chicken Wire. and proceeds to nail the entire fenceline. We laugh and laugh and laugh.
    He is one determined Norwegian, I'll give him that much.
    Help DD with Christmas Decorations that the kids cannot do. We talk about some of them that I gave her when she left us for her own life...memory lane starts happening and DH joins in.
    DD, SO says on the side that DD talks about Christmas in our home - a lot, the memories, the baking, the friends/family, the little house that was filled with laughter and how no one found themselves alone.
    I find myself stunned yesterday. I had no clue. This was the teenager/young college student who FOUND REASONS not to be home. ok, wait, let me take a breath.
    DH hugs me.
    Talk to DD about lots of things, she is feeling cabin fever-ish,,,we grab Bed Bath and Beyond Coupons and Long Horn Steakhouse gift cards.
    It's a family kind of night...reliving the things we use to do.
    Late night return, I cruise through LiveSteam of California Star Ball and see lots of friends dancing away during this Thanksgiving Holiday.
    Then I find a 3,000 sq ft, 5 bed/3 bath, 2007 built single level home for sale - here. hmmmm and hmmmm again......as dreamland starts once more.
  7. fascination

sunday, spend entire day writing bills, cleaning house, etc....cat breaks our computer ...not a good situation....2 of the three 20 somethings return from a brief trek to dtr's BF's house....wonderful visits continue, but I am exhausted and go to bed at 8:30 even though I had a nap previously...and I sleep for 9 glorious hours
    j_alexandra likes this.
  8. ChaChaMama

FRIDAY:
    -Graded papers.
    -Worked out.
    -Made a cake for Dad's birthday. Child decorated it.
    -SISTER'S HOUSE for post-Thanksgiving dinner! Had a great time with my 3 week old nephew. Child read him several books. I danced the samba with him when he got a little fussy. He really likes that bouncing movement.

SATURDAY:
    Wrote up 10 oral presentations.
    Child danced in the local holiday parade with her dance team!
    Husband fell HARD on the sidewalk during the parade. (Tripped on an irregularity in the sidewalk...probably while trying to take photos and walk at the same time.) Really bloodied up his knee, ripped through the pants at the knee and through long underwear, hurt his neck. Child had a great time, though.

SUNDAY:
    -Graded last few papers of break.
    -Went to Jo-Ann's fabrics...very out of my league in this place. Bought snaps.
    -Sewed snaps onto bra and Child's costume so they can snap together per instructions. Not playing to my greatest strength here.
    -Watched the end of the James Bond film we started on Tgiving. One of the worst ones. Too gory.
    -8 miles on treadmill.
  9. 3wishes

Speak with DD about caring for her post-surgery Knee.
    Speak with DD's SO as well.
    Hang Xmas lights with her SO as dh and dd have a heart to heart inside.
    Pack.
    Prepare for the 4 a.m. wake up to hit the road. Silent prayer, "please let the crazy weather be soooo much better than when we drove here".
    Receive terrible news about DD car. Literally we should bury it according to repair shop.
    uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
    Go to sleep on that one.
  10. fascination

4 fitness classes (one in which a member gets dizzy, also diabetic, also grieving), brief stop at home to eat and feed animals, forget to turn off tree...hope house doesn't burn down...lessons which are, wait for it, pleasant....take pros wife and son home, nice chat...but get lost in their neighborhood...finally to restuarant....I love that place....awesome food and margarita...to new hotel and chat with a dance acquaintance from my home area about some distressing developments in the local dance scene...sigh....not good...to bed after midnight worrying about that
  11. 3wishes

Drive, drive and drive. The homeward road instinct is upon both of us.
    Round Rock, through Fredricksberg (fog is horrible stuff) to Deming New Mexico. Hit up Best Western (ahhh thank you lovely bed!).
    Go to WalMart for essentials,
    We decide not to stay for free breakfast, I want to get going by 5a.m. to bypass any work related traffic.
    I love driving in the early morning before the sun comes up.
    DH and I decide, yep, there is something very pleasant about watching the stars and moon disappear and the sun come up.
    Much better weather. THANK You, whew.
    Head for home.
    Brain storm about DD mini-van after the service manager said "we've never seen metal shavings swimming in the transmission fluid,,,,ever".
    GREAT, just GREAT...there goes our personal budget out the door, there goes bringing the family to So. California this summer.
    Ain't this just a joy.
    Tapped out. Come up with more brain storming.
    How to get back on track in a hurry. ARRGGHHHHH,,,,
    It's a good thing the road is dark,,,so no one can hear my blood curling scream of frustration!!!!! Drive dear, just DRIVE...
  12. fascination

lessons...and they were; improved....teach spin...hear through the grapevine os some interesting trouble brewing....grateful to the good soul who saw fit to warn me...home late...somewhat disillusioned, but happy with the lessons
  13. ChaChaMama

@3wishes--Sorry to hear about your DD's vehicle. Does your DD definitely need a mini-van? Might there be a more economical car with a better repair record in her future? Is she able to pay for part of it herself or does her economic situation not allow that?

@fascination--Glad to hear the lessons were great! (And hope that the trouble brewing is not too serious.)

MONDAY:
    9:10--ENG 1101. Oral presentations. Hand back the work I graded over break.
    10:20--GLC. Back together again!!!! Oral presentations--Day 1. A little sad, though, that we are down one member due to pending disciplinary charges.
    Lunch break. Grade stuff.
    12:40--20th C Brit. Emma Donoghue's Room. Hand back the work I graded over break.
    2-4--Office hours. Lengthy chat with student who is having to deal with some seriously tough stuff. Wind up making several recommendations, including that the student check out Al-Anon (the one for family members, not AA).
    Then two students want me to read drafts. In one case, I *just* read a draft of this same paper on the weekend...but I do it anyway.

Home, get Child ready for dance.
    5:15--Child has rehearsal. I watch a little, grade a little.
    Home. Eat everything in sight.

TUESDAY
    Decompress with secretary. I'm very stressed about something going down later in the day.
    9-10--Office hours.

10:10-11:10--GLC-Oral Presentations Day 2. Some fantastic ones!!!! One girl is doing The Evolution of Gender Roles in Disney and, after doing her Powerpoint, ends her presentation by pulling out a ukelele and singing an original song she wrote on the subject. Another girl picks out just the best examples in her critique of gender roles in self-help manuals. She also made a connection to one of Monday's oral reports, which really made the seminar feel seminar-y. She stepped her game for this project and I just LOVE to see that. Another girl ends with a peroration pulling together stuff from pretty much the whole course.

Lunch, grading.

2--Met with a student of mine who has been suspended and goes before the disciplinary board at 3. Really good kid. Hard life. Bad situation. We strategize.
    3--Disciplinary hearing.
    Outcome was reasonably good, all things considered. HUGE weight off my shoulders.

5:30--Head home. Quick dinner. (Thank goodness we still have some of the spinach lasagna Husband made over Thanksgiving break. Yum!)
    6--Get Child ready for ballet.
    7-8:15--She takes ballet. I write in diary.
    Home. Snacks. Child was having baby carrots and ranch, and I had some too. Yum! Also had some fun-sized candies.
    Child to bed.
  14. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Uhmmmm...how did your feline manage to pull this off?
  15. fascination

it was impressive...he was on top of it and used his hind legs like he was pushing off of the edge of the pool...and he sent it rocking just enough for it to topple over the edge
  16. 3wishes

Thanks for the suggestions CCMM...brainstormed straight into our home.
    Walked in at 3:30 p.m., knew we were back in California when lots of speedy people in their small cars were deciding to make fabulous, did I say FABULOUS? lane changes,, poor DH, I was driving,,,he was warning.
    Seriously? I'm doing, well ...let's say...the same speed he would do...he must think I cannot drive...as I see yet another near collision FABULOUS lane change on my front left side. YEP, we're back.
    Neighbor brings BOXES of mail for us. oh myyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Call DD, after she comes home from In-N-Out Round Rock Tx Grand Opening.
    We are fixing her transmission to a multi- "k" tune...otherwise there is no trade-in value.
    Instruct DD and her SO life partner..."this is what you will do with your tax returns....xyz...so on and so forth...in order to get a new car later on" because one more dime is not coming from us and is definitely not available even for our own purposes.
    DD and SO agree to track daily expenses,,,anything over 25 cents they spend day in and day out will be written down.
    We are sure, in discussions yesterday - this simple thing is going to astonish the two of them.
    WHEW, THAT done....
    DH and I unpack, plow through what seems endless mail - ok we had less mail when we were gone for 3 weeks (ahhh yes, lovely holiday season).
    DH writes notes about our business.
    Discuss Christmas with Oregon Daughter, who is shipping something...uhhhhh potential DUCK football jersey for everyone, other DD is UT-Austin, DS is USC. hmmm and hmmm.of
    Lots of phone calls start coming in...how did they know? Timing..walk in door, enough time to unpack and OFF WE GOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
    Schedule a circuit training for Wednesday evening, figuring Wednesday,,,I can unfold these bones of mine by evening and then trainer is going
    to pounce,,,,I know he is. I know himmmmmmmm uh oh!!!
    Actually looking forward to it,,,and receive pics from the "hill" that instructor clinic and trainings have started. ohhhhh I so want to be on the white stuff right now...instead...of.....this.
    Dream, dream and dream.
  17. 3wishes

Cough like mad most of day. Sound croupy.
    Make doctor appt.
    DH and I both decide that severe wind/cold/weather on the way home is to blame.
    DH goes to work out.
    I pass out on the sofa, shortly after waking up.
    DD calls, first physical official therapy session is over, they are astonished she is back to work at school and she is doing much more in that crazy knee movement machine than they anticipated.
    YOU GO, my stubborn Norwegian child!!
    DD also informs us, it's 80 degrees in Round Rock, sent kids to school in shorts, yet anticipates freeze and ice for today. Is this not crazy weather?
    I mean really.
    Eat soup and broth and toast.
    Cruise through coupons, I know I know, not exciting stuff, but hey - the get up and go took me to Kohl's and I used my gift cards, their reward points e-mail, the Kohl's cash, and their more than 50% off sale Thursday,,,and did all the Christmas Shopping without spending a dime!!! YES!!!
    LOVE a "free Christmas".
    Receive certificate for one pound of See's Candy. Oh yeah baby, that's just what I need.....woweeee.
    My get up and go, lasted about 90 minutes,,,and it got up and went!
    Want to see the movie the Book Thief. As soon as the cough stops!
    Tried to stay up to see the Live-Carrie Underwood version of Sound of Music. Didn't make it,,,DH explains he taped the whole thing on other TV.
    Sound of Music, reminds me of my mom, singing Do Rae Me...and My Favorite Things every Christmas season.
    Amen, mom, did you watch from heaven above? nighty night.
  18. fascination

wed...4 fitness classes...home to more work than I care to even describe...facilitate grief group in the evening....home and out

thurs; one fitness class in the morning....marathon holiday shopping and cleaning to the point of exhaustion....teach spin and kickbox in the evening....collapse in a heap
  19. ChaChaMama

WEDNESDAY:
    9:10 class--Last of oral reports. 2 no shows for own oral reports. Turns out they had sent me e-mails within the hour prior to their no-shows. Not feeling an overwhelming need to let them make up the work.

10:20 class--Oral reports...and the first day back for my student who went before the honor board! So happy to see him.

Lunch and prepare exam review materials.

12:40--20th C BRIT LIT. Course evaluations. Exam review.

Write up oral reports.

Take Child to dance marathon.

Write up more oral reports.
    Make up demonstration back at studio.

Home.

THURSDAY:
    9--Got my eyebrows waxed.

Work.

11:30--Faculty meeting.

2-3:30--Dentist appointment. They are all "Huh. Actually...looking at this x-ray again, you might need a root canal." They are not sure if a shadow on the x-ray means anything. Really? Because this is the third in a series of what was supposed to be five appointments (regular visit, deep clean, crown--get temporary, crown--permanent, new nightguard for TMJ), and now you want me to go to the endo as well? I swear, it feels like I am never going to get "Dentist" off my to-do list. :( I know I shouldn't be crabby, and I should be glad it's just dental work on a back tooth and not cancer treatments, but I am soooo busy right now and it was a big time sacrifice to come in today for this crown, and my share of the bill even with insurance was $300+. So the thought of additional appointments one of which might be a root canal is not overly pleasing.

Practice competition make-up session with Child.

Back to work.

8 miles on treadmill.
  20. fascination

fri...teach spin and y get moving...shopping...facilitate grief group in the evening....snuggle time in front of tree
    sat/today; teach toning and fusion, go to a craft fair, run other errands including computer repair, field a call regarding my favorite unncle needing a quadruple bypass this week, okay then, grocery shop, unhealthy dinner....nauseous and home on the couch feeling ill ....