yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

Forgot to to do the other side!

Presents I received:
    From Husband--Eye-Fi card (more camera memory). Pottery Barn Daily System including white board, corkboard, upright file spaces...lots of good stuff. (I wanted this for my new home office and asked for it...because I definitely need help being organized.)
    From Sister--Feminine version military style black velvet jacket. I love it! Calendar.
    From Parents--Money. Raspberry colored cashmere sweater. Very soft blanket for our downstairs rec room. Some books. Subscription to NY Review of Books.
    From in-laws--Money.

I made out like a bandit this year! And Child got quite a few things that pleased her too, as did Husband.

I just wish Child could shake this nasty cough. We're going back to the doctor today.

2. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Ok, let's smush 7 days together.
    Ship Auctioned cookies toooooooo Purr! Thank you so much!
    Finish unplugging everything in house and outdoors. Thank you to my brain for NOT allowing me to decorate and put up lights.
    Head out to Long Beach Airport, beautiful morning, sunny skies, snow on mountains, perfect!
    DH and DD pick me up at Austin Airport, although I'm really enjoying several live bands that are playing in the concourse. This is a serious music town, giving Nashville a run for their money! Gotta love true entertainment in an airport.
    Grandkids arrive from school, push us aside in order to find The Elf On The Shelf. Wow, brushed asided for an Elf...oh well. lol.
    Instantly get plowed with questions from all three at the same time.
    DH breaks out cotton snow balls and the war is on, ambush attack from the stairwell in the house.
    Errands, meals, shopping, parks, playgrounds, picture taking, DD physical therapy continues on her knee (she is huge-ly disappointed when PT says , brace can come off, when the leg can be lifted from a standing position to a 45 degree angle), she's got a long way to go.
    Teach kiddo's about Smore's - perfect backyard with huge firepit and starry night sky.
    Cold, brisk, RAIN.
    Paint, color, boardgames, drag out Twister - to which all of us get challenged.
    Open gifts, Oregon daughter,,DRAT HER, sends duck calls to all the kids, DD plans something BIG regarding Texas University to send back to sister's kids. uhhhhhhhhh.
    Read stories, more stories, more stories.
    Invited to SO big family gathering, I forgot I much I miss the chaos, noise, food, catching up on lives and children, so to be an outside observer...was interesting.
    Forgot to call DS on Christmas, we inform him "phone works both ways"...will see him on Sunday when other grandchild can open his gifts.
    The Elf On The Shelf left Christmas Eve boxes.....HYSTERICAL,,,one piece PJ/s for me, DH, kids and grandkids. AND DH who would NEVER be caught dead in PJ's especially the kind with feet,,,,,is "all in" and has a great time, hot chocolate, popcorn, Home Alone 1 with kiddos....I seriously cannot stop laughing...he truly plays up the jamy part.
    DH reads the annual "Twas The Night Before Christmas" and somehow, Dear Daughter, gets onto the bed to listen to this...from long ago.
    ahhhhh the memories we make when our kids are little,,,that cross into adulthood.
    Pack up yesterday, sad little faces...and some tears from them....and tight hugs.
    Distraction by a jigsaw puzzle helps and I teach them how to glue it to stay together for a frame.
    Dh prepares to drive,,,and I'm out...on Jet Blue "Boston Red Sox" plane celebrating 100 years of Fenway Park.
    Send picture to DD family...They are Boston Red Sox biggest fans. Grandson goes wild seeing the jet I'm on.
    NICE!!! Homeward bound.

3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

doing today (friday) now, as exhaustion is looming...teach spin and toning, shower, drive to chicago and spend most of day assembling dh's new office decorations.....family dinner at Indian place...also make our first wedding planning calls...I am beat...and I think I am getting an earache/sinus infection....and tomorrow is way too busy for that

4. NURDRMS

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

Daughter's long-time boyfriend asks me if he can marry my daughter. That is one of the sweetest things anyone has done for me in a long time. I tell him, "Welcome to the family." BUT he wants to wait to ask my daughter for a couple of months because just as we finish our conversation he finds out his sister has just gotten engaged and he wants her to have her day (or 60) in the sun. So, shhhhh....

5. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

Pedicure at my favorite salon.
    Dinner with friends at great pasta place. Still a few days off before work, and feel glad for the time off to breathe and enjoy

6. NURDRMS

Fasc, maybe we can shop for MOTB dresses together!

fascination likes this.
  7. fascination

I am starting a board on pinterest

8. fascination

sat...teach blast...exhausted (isn't that my most common state?)as I slept very poorly last night...but we have to meet dtr's fiancee's mom for lunch at a halfway point between our homes to drop dtr off for an upcoming event...we have lunch at Hacienda...upon return home I put myself back to bed for an hour...we also finally get to skpe The Adorable One....happiness and joy....son needs tacos so I make bunches of them....men retire to watch football and star trek...in dtr's absence I am safely ensconced in my bedroom enjoying the first moment of privacy that I have had in memory....deo gratis

9. fascination

alas, I can finally share some of that....since Mr. Fasc sometimes lurks I was not wanting to post much before...

DH; I had copies of some of his photos from Africa, Old San Juan, Niagra Falls, etc...enlarged, matted and framed...also bought him an armchair and some glass art for his office as well as one piece of Japanese art on canvas....it looks awesome...I will put up pics when I get them...also got him texting gloves, ear buds, track pants and more... but I am too lazy to type it all out

DTR ; clothes for her upcoming teaching internship, gym clothes, housewares b/c she will be in an apartment, lighted crochet hooks
    son; magazine subscriptions, framed art from Africa, noise cancelling headphones and briefcase

also did bunches for the adorable one and for the 5 nieces and nephews....everything else was minimal...except for a few folks who were cash poor...

in terms of things folks got me....as noted, I get to dance all year so that is that from dh(and is more than any human being has a right to expect)...to be fair, he also got me a few undershorts so that I will stop wearing his, and the recent Chris Matthews book...my dtr got me a lovely rug from world market....I think it is from India...and my son got me some peppermmint tea and some de-stress lotion that I like....we exchanged with the parents earlier in the year before they went to florida so that is about the extent of it (cranberry wine and sheets from my dad, more dishware from Poland from the in-laws)... it was a lovely holiday, in spite of a few bumps in the road and some busy days... it was mostly pleasant and peaceful and I always cherish having both of my kids home at the same time, even when it is draining....

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  10. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

Got up late today because I couldn't fall asleep last night. Didn't eat breakfast because it was too close to lunch- shower and get a quick study in before lunch. Meet family for lunch and have chili. Barnes and Noble because mom wants a book- pick up an interesting autobiography about an army trauma surgeon (hopefully good fodder for future personal statement writing?)
    Molecular biology MCAT study, run. I forget my ipod so it isn't a very good one. Come home and study some more. Dinner with family and watch the new season of White Collar on Netflix while drilling orgo flashcards

11. ChaChaMama

FRIDAY:
    Pretty sucktastic day.

8--Husband left for business trip to Orlando, Florida. I get to stay home for an errand filled day AND work on putting all the gifts away and take Child to the doctor since she is still sick. Lucky me.

~10--I went to try to find something at my office. Did not succeed. I then picked up our dog Arctic at the kennel. The dog is ridiculously excited to see me. I'm not really a "dog person" by nature, but I get why people find that gratifying.

~12--Arctic, who has been home for less than an hour, manages to jump on the dining room table, find a bag of red M&Ms labeled "Extra reindeer noses" by Child's teacher, tear it open, and eat about 20 M&Ms (I'm estimating. I showed up toward the end of this escapade and caught him in the act). Chocolate is poisonous for dogs. I have an endodontist consult scheduled for 1 PM, but Child manages to convince me that it would be selfish of me to go to this as my life is not at stake. (Drama much?) Search house for hydrogen peroxide while Child calls her dad (it goes to the machine), then places call to the vet.

I drive out to the pharmacy to get some hydrogen peroxide while Child stays with dog. Husband calls back while I'm out and directs Child to where we keep it in the house.

Get a call back from the vet, who is pretty sure that such a small quantity won't kill him, but says it couldn't hurt to make him vomit. So I cancel the endodontist and work on that fun project. We succeed, which is good...but now I can't get an endodontist consult in until 2014, and the dentist doesn't want to put on the crown until after that.

3:30--Take Child back to doctor. This time, we see the other guy in the practice. He says this is a textbook case of atypical pneumonia, also known as walking pneumonia, and that the antibiotic she has been won't help with that. Fantastic. Get prescribed a different antibiotic. Also get prescribed an inhaler, as I tell him that Child had some difficulty breathing in the car ride on the way home.

Total mob scene at the grocery store where I get my prescriptions filled, but I nonetheless stand on line because there are a few things we want. It's just one of those days.

Talk to Husband, who is on line to get a plane ticket to Houston. What?!? Last I had talked to him, his flight to Orlando was super delayed, so he was still in Baltimore, but why would he be flying through Houston? Turns out he is in Orlando now. He asked if I had seen his e-mails. No, I've been busy doing fun things like making our dog throw up and taking our child to the doctor. Why? His Dad (who had surgery for colon cancer on 12/18) is doing much worse and has asked to see him. Oh. No.

I ask him if he wants us to fly out as well. He says to hang tight for now. I am relieved. The doctor said Child shouldn't leave the house for the next 72 hours if at all possible, but obviously we would if we had to. She is not in great shape for that kind of traveling. Husband is obviously quite anxious that his father might die.

Put in 6 miles on the treadmill.

Call my parents to give them an update on FIL situation and on Child situation.

Put Child to bed.
    Write in diary.

12. ChaChaMama

SATURDAY:
    Much calmer day.
    Another run to the pharmacy.
    Child took her medicine. There were some tears, but she got it done.

I wrote in my diary.
    Child and I finished a book we were reading together.
    I put in 4 miles on the treadmill.

13. ChaChaMama

Oh, and FIL continues to hang in there. There has been some additional surgery and might need to be more. My understanding is there is some kind of infection near the surgical site. He also has a cough. He is in a fair amount of pain. Nonetheless, he wanted to talk to Child today and they had a good talk. Child pronounced them "Cough buddies."

14. fascination

ccm...so sorry...on all counts

15. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

<coffeescreen> On a 1:10 scale of TMI... surely I misread it? :p

Sania likes this.
  16. fascination

ooops...lol...shirts....although....I have been known to wear the shorts as welll...lllolz

17. fascination

sunday...did I do sunday?...hmmm...no clue...probably just be exhausted
    monday...teach 5 classes, make wedding arrangements...yes, already

edit to add; oh yea, I practiced on sunday....imagine that

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  18. ChaChaMama

Thanks, Fascination.

Hmm. I could swear I already wrote about Sunday, but it does not seem to be here, so perhaps I did not push "Post Reply"! That would be very absent-minded of me, but not impossible.

SUNDAY:
    Day of convalescence with Child. [NOTE: Turns out that is a very hard word for me to spell. I originally typed it as "con/VO/les/cence" (without the syllable breaks, obviously), but that looked wrong. Turns out it is "con/VA/les/cence." Huh.]

I worked out, wrote in my diary, did various household chores (groceries, dishes, cat box, recycling, took dog out, soaked beans for Monday's dinner), medicated Child.

MONDAY:
    Another day spent largely at home, and very similar to Sunday. Today's errands included talking to the pharmacy and the doctor's office as I did not think they gave me enough of Child's antibiotic. These were less than the most satisfying interactions of my life.

A highlight of this day might be that I made homemade vegetarian baked beans in the crock pot. They came out okay, but not to die for. I've had some to die for baked beans before. Next time, I'm going to try a different recipe.

I got a phone call from Husband. The pathology report came in. Stage IIIC colorectal cancer. It's in the lymph nodes and in the bloodstream. So that's not great in terms of long term prognosis. But one day at a time!

Child and I watched a couple of her favorite episodes of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine together that evening. She took her last dose of medicine for the day while watching and it went much better than the others.

19. fascination

ccm...I am sorry that the last days of this year are so...unremarkable...I hope that the new year brings something new

20. NURDRMS

Went shopping in the mall (something I do maybe once a year - I hate malls in particular and shopping in general) and found a dress I loved but the store didn't have it in my size. And the other locations of that store were out of my size as well. Dang it.

Then had the most amazing set of lessons yesterday where really good things were happening until, during the last five minutes, I tore my hamstring. Badly.

It was one of those days where I just should have stayed in bed which, with the torn hamstring is pretty much what I'm doing today. So much for dancing the night away tonight...