yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

Pretty sucktastic day.

8--Husband left for business trip to Orlando, Florida. I get to stay home for an errand filled day AND work on putting all the gifts away and take Child to the doctor since she is still sick. Lucky me.

~10--I went to try to find something at my office. Did not succeed. I then picked up our dog Arctic at the kennel. The dog is ridiculously excited to see me. I'm not really a "dog person" by nature, but I get why people find that gratifying.

~12--Arctic, who has been home for less than an hour, manages to jump on the dining room table, find a bag of red M&Ms labeled "Extra reindeer noses" by Child's teacher, tear it open, and eat about 20 M&Ms (I'm estimating. I showed up toward the end of this escapade and caught him in the act). Chocolate is poisonous for dogs. I have an endodontist consult scheduled for 1 PM, but Child manages to convince me that it would be selfish of me to go to this as my life is not at stake. (Drama much?) Search house for hydrogen peroxide while Child calls her dad (it goes to the machine), then places call to the vet.

I drive out to the pharmacy to get some hydrogen peroxide while Child stays with dog. Husband calls back while I'm out and directs Child to where we keep it in the house.

Get a call back from the vet, who is pretty sure that such a small quantity won't kill him, but says it couldn't hurt to make him vomit. So I cancel the endodontist and work on that fun project. We succeed, which is good...but now I can't get an endodontist consult in until 2014, and the dentist doesn't want to put on the crown until after that.

3:30--Take Child back to doctor. This time, we see the other guy in the practice. He says this is a textbook case of atypical pneumonia, also known as walking pneumonia, and that the antibiotic she has been won't help with that. Fantastic. Get prescribed a different antibiotic. Also get prescribed an inhaler, as I tell him that Child had some difficulty breathing in the car ride on the way home.

Total mob scene at the grocery store where I get my prescriptions filled, but I nonetheless stand on line because there are a few things we want. It's just one of those days.

Talk to Husband, who is on line to get a plane ticket to Houston. What?!? Last I had talked to him, his flight to Orlando was super delayed, so he was still in Baltimore, but why would he be flying through Houston? Turns out he is in Orlando now. He asked if I had seen his e-mails. No, I've been busy doing fun things like making our dog throw up and taking our child to the doctor. Why? His Dad (who had surgery for colon cancer on 12/18) is doing much worse and has asked to see him. Oh. No.

I ask him if he wants us to fly out as well. He says to hang tight for now. I am relieved. The doctor said Child shouldn't leave the house for the next 72 hours if at all possible, but obviously we would if we had to. She is not in great shape for that kind of traveling. Husband is obviously quite anxious that his father might die.

Put in 6 miles on the treadmill.

Call my parents to give them an update on FIL situation and on Child situation.

Put Child to bed.
    Write in diary.
  2. ChaChaMama

Much calmer day.
    Another run to the pharmacy.
    Child took her medicine. There were some tears, but she got it done.

I wrote in my diary.
    Child and I finished a book we were reading together.
    I put in 4 miles on the treadmill.
  3. ChaChaMama

Oh, and FIL continues to hang in there. There has been some additional surgery and might need to be more. My understanding is there is some kind of infection near the surgical site. He also has a cough. He is in a fair amount of pain. Nonetheless, he wanted to talk to Child today and they had a good talk. Child pronounced them "Cough buddies."
  4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member sorry...on all counts
  5. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

<coffeescreen> On a 1:10 scale of TMI... surely I misread it? :p
    Sania likes this.
  6. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member have been known to wear the shorts as welll...lllolz
  7. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

sunday...did I do sunday? clue...probably just be exhausted
    monday...teach 5 classes, make wedding arrangements...yes, already

edit to add; oh yea, I practiced on sunday....imagine that
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  8. ChaChaMama

Thanks, Fascination.

Hmm. I could swear I already wrote about Sunday, but it does not seem to be here, so perhaps I did not push "Post Reply"! That would be very absent-minded of me, but not impossible.

Day of convalescence with Child. [NOTE: Turns out that is a very hard word for me to spell. I originally typed it as "con/VO/les/cence" (without the syllable breaks, obviously), but that looked wrong. Turns out it is "con/VA/les/cence." Huh.]

I worked out, wrote in my diary, did various household chores (groceries, dishes, cat box, recycling, took dog out, soaked beans for Monday's dinner), medicated Child.

Another day spent largely at home, and very similar to Sunday. Today's errands included talking to the pharmacy and the doctor's office as I did not think they gave me enough of Child's antibiotic. These were less than the most satisfying interactions of my life.

A highlight of this day might be that I made homemade vegetarian baked beans in the crock pot. They came out okay, but not to die for. I've had some to die for baked beans before. Next time, I'm going to try a different recipe.

I got a phone call from Husband. The pathology report came in. Stage IIIC colorectal cancer. It's in the lymph nodes and in the bloodstream. So that's not great in terms of long term prognosis. But one day at a time!

Child and I watched a couple of her favorite episodes of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine together that evening. She took her last dose of medicine for the day while watching and it went much better than the others.
  9. fascination

ccm...I am sorry that the last days of this year are so...unremarkable...I hope that the new year brings something new

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

Went shopping in the mall (something I do maybe once a year - I hate malls in particular and shopping in general) and found a dress I loved but the store didn't have it in my size. And the other locations of that store were out of my size as well. Dang it.

Then had the most amazing set of lessons yesterday where really good things were happening until, during the last five minutes, I tore my hamstring. Badly.

It was one of those days where I just should have stayed in bed which, with the torn hamstring is pretty much what I'm doing today. So much for dancing the night away tonight...
  11. fascination

tues...make further wedding bills...go bowling (dh and I, son, dtr and her fiancee)....try to go to a restuarant but, because no one listens to me, we didn't make a reservation...and, imagine that, there was over an hour snow was falling rapidly, we went home and I got to cook and trash my kitchen again(after having spent a good part of the morning recovering it from the rest of the holiday) these people but they exhaust me...retreat to watch big bang...soon to open champagne
  12. fascination

finished the evening toasting and seeing if kids can tell difference between champagne nd cheap sparkiling wine...and then cuddling...was a night nice with family

wed...wake late (9)...order pizza around 11...clean house, play scattergories, dink around on internet, guys play euro-rails...dinner at steak house with gift certificate...snow blow the drive way....bed will be soon as I have three fitness classes tomorrow
  13. fascination

thurs...teach blast, sub at last minnute for a few things for spud fest tonight, get son and dtr's fiancee try to jump son's car b/c battery has cottage cheese...take a nap...pinterest wedding stuff...prep potatoes for spud fest tonight, back to gym to teach cycling and cardio fusion, finish cooking for spud fest, snow blow driveway, priest friend about now securing a church...sip wine by the tree for about...2 1/2 bed before I can even apply bengay
  14. flashdance

flashdance Active Member

Since Feb. 18th last year done a lot (didn't realise I've not been online here since then! :sorry: (shame on me)).

Run up few tower blocks for charity
    Passed piano exam
    Done a lot of work on nutrition (feel super at the moment)
    Taking down Christmas decorations today for my mum!
    Eating lots of sweet potato (which reminds me, need to get some more at lunch time in a bit)
    Busy bee at work
    Lots of time spent at the gym
    Driving my mum mad (nothing new!)
    Not done as much dancing due to decline in numbers for our class (might move to America and take up breakdancing :dancingbanana:)
    +++ lots more things I'm sure.

Yes, things are good!
    j_alexandra, nikkitta and fascination like this.
  15. ChaChaMama

Welcome back, flashdance!
  16. ChaChaMama

TUESDAY, aka New Year's Eve:
    Husband still with Dad in hospital. Child--I think improving, but still has cough.
    Worked out.
    Read some _Degraded Work: The Struggle at the Bottom of the Labor Market_.
    Made homemade sweet potato fries.
    Watched Star Trek with Child.

Read some more _Degraded Work_.
    Decided Child was healthy enough to leave house and do something fun. We saw "Saving Mr. Banks" and took one of her BFFs along. Child now would like to have this BFF over every day, please. (Not going to happen, but glad you two had such a good time together.)

Read some more _Degraded Work_.

Went to the endodontist. He looked at my last set of x-rays and then said "I'm going to do some tests." I would like to see a measure of my normal resting heart rate vs. my heart rate when the endodontist says he is going to do some tests to see if the tooth is dead. (In a previous pre-root canal situation, the dentist started drilling and was like "Yeah, the tooth is dead or that would have been excruciating." Um...that's not a good test!!! I think they were 99.999% sure, but even so!!!) This one just involved applying a cold pellet to each tooth. I could not feel it on the back tooth. That's apparently a bad sign. So I'm having a root canal. Yippee.

Errands before snowstorm gets too crazy: grocery store/PetSmart/Take Child to Cold Stone. Snow is coming down in big, thick flakes, but it's not that bad yet.

Child and I have discovered Veggie Patch products. She likes their falafel (also vegan friendly, fascination!) Today she tried the chick'n nuggets, made of textured vegetable protein (these are vegetarian, not vegan, as some egg is involved). She honestly said "I can't say whether they taste like chicken as I can't remember what chicken tastes like--it has been too long--but I like them." She went vegetarian toward the end of 2nd grade and she is now in 6th grade, so this April will be four years.

Child and I read and laugh our heads off. (Our dog destroys remote controls and has now set about destroying the home theater chair in which we store the remote control. So it is definitely a laughter of recognition here.)

Had some words with Child at bedtime. She insisted I get more "days off" than she does b/c according to her, I have Thursdays, Saturdays, and Sundays off. Oh, yeah, that's a great analysis, kid. Yes, it's true: I have arranged my schedule so I only teach and advise college students 4 days a week.
    -All that grading I do on Thursdays and weekends is just like having a day totally off because grading student work is such a pleasure. (Not every Thursday and every weekend, of course...but quite a few over the course of the school year!)
    -The chores I do on the weekends--including making Child's favorite bean salad every Saturday, and doing Child's laundry on Sunday--are just like having a day off.
    -Wait a minute! I also work out every Thursday and every weekend! So if your dance team stuff counts as not a day off (and it IS intense, I grant you), then if this 40-something body puts in 8 miles on treadmill, don't I get a little credit for that?

I know she sometimes says testy things at bedtime because she's tired, but give me some credit, kid!!!
  17. flashdance

flashdance Active Member

Hi, nice to see you ChaChaMama. Hope you are well :)
  18. fascination

fri...wake, feel gross, wonder if I have the flu...teach cardio kick and toning...feel to chicago with dtr and her fiancee to tour the Field Museum and watch her fiance' nearly have a seizure when the museum announced the down payment aloud....dh, and this is why I love him, did a wonderful job of explaining that this has been a lifelong dream for which we are prepared and that it was a gift to us to let us do it....I just said that if he backs out I am going to have one damned awesome belated 50th birthday party :) (as I will turn 50 in 2015, shortly before that....eek)....after the shock, we had some lunch and went through the World Exposition exhibit......drove home, reflective....we were all pretty sedantary after that...basically staring at our respective glow boxes and watching "friday bridesday"
    j_alexandra likes this.
  19. flashdance

flashdance Active Member

Taking down Christmas tree, stress at Christmas tree lights which are all tangled up (4 sets of lights! arrrgh)
    biosig at Gym
    eat weekly cheat meal of Icecream - went to bed after sugar rush hit!
    helped my mum with the shopping
    chilled out and finished off sorting Christmas tree lights only to find one set completely not working! nooo
  20. ChaChaMama

@fascination--YAY on booking the Field Museum!!!! I perfectly understand how that would be a dream come true for all concerned. What an absolutely beautiful space. I'm sure it will be a wedding no one will ever forget!

P.S. I will become the mom of a teenager the day before your daughter marries, so between your 50th bday, Child becoming a teen, and your daughter's wedding, the two of us are going to be off the Richter scale emotionally. I guess we are going to be counting on flashdance, Peaches, 3wishes, j_alex, NRDRMS, etc. to hold down the fort on this thread and counter-balance us!)

@flashdance--Oh, I hear you on the Christmas tree lights! We put up an artificial tree at my parents' house. (My Dad's background is Protestant). We could not get the lights to work. Finally, my husband came. He looked at the situation and pointed out that we had the lights from the lower piece of the tree (which were working) plugged to themselves, instead of to the middle section. He changed one plug and the whole thing lit up! It was terribly exciting. It made the rest of us feel quite technically incompetent, but by that point in our collective frustration level, we didn't even care!