yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

FRIDAY:
    Child's doctor called in the AM asking us to re-schedule our 9:20 AM as their office wasn't opening until 10 AM due to the snow and the condition of their parking lot. Sounds good to me! We re-scheduled for 3 PM. When we finally went, he said there is still some junk in her lungs and that she should keep taking a cough medicine with guaifenesen so she can try to cough all that junk out. He said he was not going to put her on another antibiotic at this time. (Yay.) He cleared her to go back to dance, but not to go sledding. He said that the extreme cold we are having my irritate her airwaves and cause further problems, maybe even a reoccurrence of the pneumonia. Pass on that! It has already been almost a month since she was truly well.

The rest of the day was spent on household chores, reading, and working out (8 miles on treadmill).

Husband came home at 9:30 PM! His Dad is still sick and in the hospital, but he has been there a week and felt a need to come back home and check in with, get some work done, etc. Hopefully his Dad is starting to turn the corner and Husband won't have to fly back to Houston, but it has been one of those one step forward, one step back things.
    Short version: in addition to having stage IIIC colorectal cancer, his Dad has some complications including pneumonia and some kidney problems which are significantly adding to his misery (e.g., coughing hurts his surgical site and leaves him weak and debilitated).

SATURDAY:
    Husband did not wake up because he is tired after a week in Houston. He normally takes Child to dance on Saturday, but I got up with her, got hair up in a bun, made her lunch, and took her. I also stayed for the Parent Meeting at 11:15. I was highly relieved that they are ordering a different legging for the hip-hop routine because LOTS of people had had the same problem I had. (Out of stock.)

Home around 12:30.
    Finished reading Degraded Labor: The Struggle at the Bottom of the Labor Market and did a write-up of it on my FB page.
    Started reading Refrigeration Nation: A History of Ice, Appliance, and Enterprise in America. Yes, I realize I have weird intellectual interests.

Husband went to pick up Child and get some forms notorized. Later, I asked him if he could also pick up some groceries; there were only six items on the list, but three of them were milk, eggs, and more Mucinex. He was laying on the sofa reading from his I-Pad and said he was kind of tired. (He slept until 10 AM. It was only 6 PM. This errand would take ~30-40 minutes. We are expecting an icy rain tomorrow.) Finally, he went. I am a little sad that I had to guilt trip him into doing it. I get that he's tired and had a tough week and I tried to be understanding of that, which is why I gave up my Saturday sleep-in day and let him take one, and did not even mention how long it has been since I had an opportunity to sleep in. But I do expect him to make some contribution around the house!

We were talking to each other pleasantly again by bedtime. He sort of gets that it is not fair to expect me to do everything around the house and that he can't say he's a feminist and then behave like that...but he needs to be nudged.)

2. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Yesterday:

Wake up obscenely early for a Saturday, after having been up late the night before. Things to do, you know.
    Then:
    - Coffee, breakfast, DF, FB, etc.
    - Errands, including picking up new cellphone and buying super on-clearance Christmas accessories. Yay!
    - Practice at studio. Field text from pro asking how practice was going. Is the man psychic?
    - Quick lunch en route.
    - Arrival at friend's house, who has a much better equipped sewing room than I do (better serger, some industrial machines, etc.), meaning much (or all) of my dress sewing is happening there. They are in minor crisis, so I don't get to put the elastic in my bodysuit as I require assistance with that. After finding a problem with one serger and switching machines, I sew skirts. For hours. Complete the first layer, with about 80% of the second one done. About mid-way through the second skirt, I start questioning why on earth I selected a 1.0, 1.5, 1.5 circle style...
    - Dinner, where I inhale three large pieces of pizza and watch Star Trek IV on cable.
    - Drive home, check e-mail, go to bed.

3. NURDRMS

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

Drain old waterbed mattress. Clean and REPAIR bed frame and headboard - multiple trips to hardware store required for this part of the project. Fill new waterbed mattress. All day ordeal with additional frustration created by husband, who would only try things my way (the RIGHT way, of course) after he had exhausted his ideas. Hmm, sounds like this post should go in the whining thread...

4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

ccm....I think it was probably a good idea for you to have nudged your dh into running that errend...some of the lack of enrgy may be depression and it isn't a good idea to let that abound....and your larger point is, I agree, also correct...

nurdrms....that is so maddening...we have that issue here all the time as well...I state something, like how to successfully jump a car...I am ignored...40 minutes later they figure; WTH, we might as well listen to her, two seconds later the car starts...stuff like that happened daily over the holiday...a few of them even noticed it themselves this time...but it gets exhausting

saturday; do dishes...field a call from in-laws, go to grocery store in advance of impending weather issues...spend most of the day horizontal as I am not feeling up to par...son's flight for sunday is cancelled and we spend most of the evening trying to get him a new flight...as to whether or not that one, which leaves significantly later will actually happen, no one knows...oh, but ...daughter agreed to humor me and try on my wedding gown...that was a fun moment....it was "too 80's" for her...and also ASTONISHINGLY too small...which blows my mind as she wears several sizes smaller pants than I wore at her age...but it was too small in the waist....anyhow, woke up in the middle of the night with nausea and body aches...going to have to monitor closely whether or not I need todrive to indy tomo

5. fascination

sunday...spend entire day worrying about son getting to oregon...also have something in my eye which is now swollen and a bad stomach ache...have scarcely moved from the couch the entire day

6. Sania

Sania Active Member

So sorry!

7. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I'm very sorry to hear this. With the cold temperatures and you being under the weather, maybe you should cancel your trip to Indy this week.

8. ChaChaMama

SUNDAY:
    -Wrote in diary.
    -Had meaningful discussion with Husband.
    -Watched Season 1, Episode 1 of "Sherlock" at Child's insistence, as this is her latest obsession.
    -Read Refrigeration Nation.
    -Talked with both parents on the phone, and exchanged PMs with sister.
    -Played as a family, trying to answer multiple choice questions in "Obsessed with Star Trek." (It's a book with an interactive electronic thing where you push A, B, C, or D, and it with ring if you get the answer right and buzz if you get it wrong.) We are on the section on the original series. I have never seen the original series, and Child has only seen an episode or two, but she wants to go in order. We are up to question 100...and the book has something like 1500 questions!

9. fascination

well...I have no choice...80/94 and 65 are both closed.....

10. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Yesterday:
    - Breakfast, shower, coffee, laundry
    - Change sheets, and laugh hysterically at cat who likes to "help" with this chore. It makes it take forever, but is oh so worth it.
    - To sewing sweat shop for continued dress labour. After several hours, make an error that requires about an hour to rip out (carefully!). Rip out about half, then take this as a sign that it's time to quit for the day. Pack up the rip-out project to do at home later.
    - Food en route to studio, then practice.
    - Groceries. Store is insane, and I find myself thinking mean thoughts about random people. Generally, this is a sign that I need to eat.
    - Dinner. (Mmm, leftover stew and fresh bread.)
    - Evening filled with background tv, more laundry, some ironing, some chocolate eating, and completion of rip-out project, which goes much faster than earlier, now that I have had a break.
    - One hour of actual tv watching, then bed.

11. fascination

doing today now as I suspect there won't be much left of it....

everyone is home and snowed in...the entire state

eat a lot...not bad stuff, but too much of it...I have been pretty good in terms of portion control over the holiday...so trying not to panick...but several days of no activity begins to feel very distressing...spend a good deal of time reassuring our dog that the end of the world has not arrived...he is an outdoor dog (he is the last of a pack of 3) and he was very very upset about being brought in...but it had to be done....spent a good deal of time cooking a veal stew w/vegetables and indian sweet potato pancakes, as well as cleaning this house which has been a fright....
    bed is calling as we were up early with the dog situation and checking our son's arrival in oregon

12. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

Spent most of day cleaning and organizing condo and getting ready for work tomorrow.
    Second dance class in 3 days cancelled due to inclement weather and it's only January. Workout session with trainer cancelled as well.
    Grocery run. Roads snow covered.

13. ChaChaMama

MONDAY:
    Get Child off to school. She skips into the building in absolute delightful anticipation of the day to come. That's my girl!

Go to work. Find out that, confusingly, my chair and colleague R has asked the secretary to pull the data sets I thought I was supposed to be looking at. Huh. Decide it would be silly to duplicate work and that I should therefore send him an e-mail for clarification and go home. (He doesn't get up this early, so pointless to wait around.)

Read.

12:30-2--ROOT CANAL. I stopped the guy right at the beginning when he put in the triangular wedge to keep my mouth open. "Does it need to be quite THAT big? That's pretty tough for me with TMJ." So he went to a smaller one. Still not a pleasure cruise, but at least I could tolerate it. The root canal itself didn't hurt, just the keeping my wide open. There was so much novocaine involved. I felt numb all the way up to my eye.

Home. Read and recovered. Tried to keep cats from brushing up against my face...not because I was in pain (still Novocained out) but because it felt weird.

Took Child to dance. At the end of practice, they had the kids try on their costumes for a number they will be performing in competition in February...but they kicked all the parents except one out of the room when they explained what alterations need to take place, as they want one mom per routine to handle all costume questions. (They had the kids order adult costumes. Obviously I got Child an XS. It's not that bad in terms of length, but unsurprisingly, the majority of these kids have narrow shoulders, are still flat chested or A-cup at most, and not very curvy. So suffice it to say that I am reasonably confident that there will be alterations.)

Watched the second episode of "Sherlock" as a family.

Winds are crazy-loud outside. Let the pets sleep with us.

14. fascination

doing today now as I do not anticipate anything momentous occurring before bed....

3am...dh accidentally locks us out of the area of our bedroom that includes our closet and bathroom...this is not lovely...and causes some crankiness and not much sleep...up at 6....to gym by 7:45...teach step, cycling and Y get moving....home to field many wedding vendors who are now on our tails....but it is exciting.... while the venue is pricey and spectacular, the rest of it we hope will be unique and unpretentious rather than "spectacular"....which is one of those things that vendors really don't want to hear....we will do some very cool stuff...but we have no intention of being stupid about it...

in fact, as I said elsewhere, my daughter is not at all about tradition other than her ethnic and faith traditions....she has no interest in flowers at the church....she really wants to put big baskets up at the front of church and have people bring offerings of books, yarn, and canned goods for her favorite charities...she will allow some autumnal stuff like baskets of fruit and indian corn and that sort of thing, but she is much more into the use of her colors olive/eggplant/burnt orange and lighting..she wants to carry a book instead of flowers and all of her bridesmaids as well...how cool is that? my little nerd...she wants to crochet the flowers to go atop each book in her colors .... lots of fun...my parents were very limited in funds and imagination and I was young so many of the details of my wedding were not up to me...shrug...not complaining....but it is cool that we can do all sorts of original things now and I love her vision....we are going to have cocktails and appetizers on the second floor balcony and people can enjoy the open exhibits...Grace is thinking multi-colored potato bar in martini glasses for that (plus other things of course) and Polish tradition dictates that there be vodka....because there are so many vegetarians in the crowd we will have at least one Indian entree offered, and she doesnt want a cake...she wants pies, a taffy apple bar and chai and hot cider...I am not going to fight her on that...so, I spent most of the day responding to the preferred vendors...

also today; pet care, organizational tasks, cooking dh some dinner, changing the bedding ...jacuzzi immanent...it was my first day alone in the house since early december...I am so glad to get back into a routine...and so are my cats :)

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
    Purr, Sania and ChaChaMama like this.
  15. ChaChaMama

^^My "like" above was for the wedding plans part, not the locking out part!

TUESDAY:
    Got Child off to school.

10-11--Scouted location for our meeting, as the room we were originally booked in was 57 degrees. I ran upstairs and booked a different room via the online book system...and then went back down and realized that room felt a little too toasty. Brought my portable thermostat. 89 degrees. 89 degrees!!!!!! The cold snap that is having such devastating effects in the midwest has been echoed in a milder form here and it was 1 degree outside when I took Child to school. Who heats an empty classroom to 89 degrees on a 1 degree day??? If we have all this extra money to throw around, I really wouldn't say no to a bigger raise! Honest! I'm very open-minded on that topic! Finally found a room that was a more compromise temperature of around 75 and took that.

11-1:30--Assessfest. We had lunch and talked about assessment data.

Wrote a draft of a letter of recommendation.

6 miles on treadmill.

Took Child to ballet. Played Harry on the way home, of course.

Read.

16. fascination

not sure how the heat there works, but I have found (with a lot of heating systems) that the colder it is, themore likely a room is to overheat because the heat never really goes off, and the reverse being true of air-conditioning

17. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

18. fascination

19. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I love these colors! When I'm making jewelry, olivine and amethyst are two of my favorite color beads to work with, both the regular and the AB version. It's interesting how the AB version of a bead can look entirely different from the regular color, especially depending on what color bead it's next to. I also love the colors of sun, fire opal and astral pink beads; they work very well as accent colors.

20. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

Does the groom have any thoughts about the pies vs. a traditional wedding cake?