yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

I personally would do individual serving size pies rather than having the catering staff slice full sized pies. Also, you could stack small individual pieces on a tiered cupcake rack and get a wedding cake effect...sort of a compromise between tradition and innovation. One could even put a cake topper on top of the stack of mini pies, were the bride and groom so inclined. There are plenty of couples going to cupcake route for weddings. I think it's a very fun idea.
    dancelvr and Purr like this.
  2. ChaChaMama

This sounds logical, but the building engineers are going to have to do better. The building is allegedly climate controlled, but it doesn't work right. The room I was in is one of our nicer classrooms. At 89 degrees, how can the teacher teach and the students learn? A room that warm after a nice lunch and people are going to be feeling sleeeeeeeepy. To add further insult to injury, although there is a huge, beautiful can't open it. Sealed shut. (In an emergency you could possibly jimmy it open or just break it, but there is a little strip saying "Do not open window.") Also, I'm pretty sure that the more people you have in the room, the more body heat sends the temperature upward. 89 is not oppressively hot if you are wearing removable layers, but what if a student doesn't have anything on under that sweater? He/she is going to be pretty uncomfortable.

Similarly, our original meeting room should not have been 57. At 57 degrees, I'm cold and thinking more about how to get warm than about whether the percentage of commuter students who felt that orientation did not fully meet their needs is too high and what we should do about that.

I did some research on this, and apparently 70-77 are considered good temperatures for office buildings, with 70-73 being the optimal range for maximum productivity.
  3. ChaChaMama

-Child to school.
    -Read a lot...both Tartt's The Goldfinch and bits of the NYT and Chronicle of Higher Education. (What?!? Reading more than the headlines before the day is over? Must be break!)
    -Contemplated my reading list for the one course where I still have not settled this definitively. (Bad CCM!)
    -Grocery shopped.
    -Worked out.
    -Took Child to/from dance.
    -Read hilarious History of the World According to Facebook book with Child...we laughed our butts off.
  4. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Got through most of my accounts at work, however I'm waiting for my boss to look into things because I have not been trained in everything yet. Three years here and there are some things she just doesn't want to teach me... Though I have asked for it. Anywho, took care of mail, paper and cat for my parents. Fed my fish, saw parents' goldfish tank, notice bubbler wasn't work, minor panic... Realized dad must have unplugged it before he left... Then filter stopped working... cleaned it out recent so it should have been fine, but then realized I didn't do the impeller. Cleaned impeller and the filter started working again. Fed gold fish.

Went over to bf's place and watch gilmore girls which helped me take a break from all the feels and laugh a little.
  5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

agree... we have the same problem at the gym...imagine working a cold muscle in a room of 57, or doing intense cardio without being warm ..or, worse, intense cardio in a room at life....gah
  6. fascination

the groom has thoughts...and is allowed to express them....most of the time ..... :) actually, they work very well together....
  7. fascination

from what I hear, cupcakes are so "done" to pie, yes, I think the plan is to do pie or cobbler and in individual portions (even small mini-iron skillets)...she is willing to concede something like a multi layered unfrosted sponge cake with fresh berries between the layers...thank goodness for pinterest...but she really has no interest in a cake topper or cutting the cake or any of that business...shrug...okay, whatever...there are a few hills I am willing to die on...that is not one of them
  8. Purr

Purr Well-Known Member

I'm glad to hear it. :)

There are many wedding related reality shows on tv, and now and again I'll catch an episode of one. It seems like on these shows the emphasis is all about what the bride wants and it's "her" day. In all fairness, there wouldn't be a wedding without the groom. Isn't it "their" day? It seems like if the groom had any opinion on things like type of wedding service, venue, food, or whatever, it should be considered.

I watched one show, and I was appalled at the excess. The bride and her mother went to a MAC counter and spent $70 or $80 plus dollars for a custom lipstick shade, because they weren't satisfied with any of the regular colors. And bride and mother also spent $1000 plus for a pair of diamond crusted false eyelashes. The flowers for the venue were in the tens of thousands. And so it went. Seriously? I'd give that marriage 6 months to a year tops.

If your daughter wants to walk down the aisle carrying books and hand crocheted flowers, serve individual fruit pies, and collect donations for the needy, that sounds fine to me.
    Sania and fascination like this.
  9. fascination

because I counsel engaged couples, and work for a church, I would hope to never raise a child to think that the sacrament of marriage was about any of that crap, or that she was one iota more important than her runs counter to everything we raised her to understand about herself, love, and the vocation of fact, we have told the vendors explicitly that the spectacular nature of the venue stands alone, everything else should be unique, but unpretentious...we are donors at the Field because we support its mission, and the fee goes in large part to that mission, but there will be no Limos, no professional hair and make-up, none of the needless bling....I have long told my wedding couples to make sure their wedding speaks to their message as a couple...and being good stewards is a part of that....yes, it will cost more than many people could ever swing because of the venue, but it won't be gratuitiously stupid
  10. fascination

Jon, the groom, was an advocate of a sit down meal, because he works in catering at his college...she wanted stations and he was definitely the deciding factor in "we will have a served meal".....we have a year and nine months to go, but I think that we are very fortunate in that most of the key players are not lunatics....we have some of that on the fringes, but we will keep them there :)...strategic planning, but we shall prevail
  11. fascination

another horrible night as dh had stress over upcoming work and when dh doesn't sleep, I don't sleep
    drag into work...teach blast...people are post holiday cranky
    home to wedding vendor, I will not pay 15k for lighting and decor
    cats are cranky
    do dishes, litter boxes, bills, laundry, feed all living things and nap
    teach spin, all well and good
    teach fusion...nothing goes well...choreo doesn't flow and technical difficulties
    quiet time with dh...hope we are moving into a return to normal schedule

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

Started morning with annual wellness check with gyn. Yay. To work, where there are people lined up outside my office all day and I get nothing of consequence accomplished. To pre-op appointment with orthopedic doc, where I require him to draw me pictures of EXACTLY what he's going to do in surgery. Apparently this is a rare injury (that mostly bull riders get - we won't even go there) so he wants to video the surgery and has offered me a copy. Cool. Daughter and I are both excited about watching; husband looks ill. Back to work for more meetings. To studio where pro and I video all our routines to ensure we don't forget them while I can't dance for a while. Home to find that daughter has passed her driving test (watch out Colorado Springs.)
  13. fascination

ew...nurdrms....wishing you a speedy recovery
  14. ChaChaMama

@NURDRMS--Best wishes for an easy procedure and a smooth recovery, you "movie star," you!
  15. ChaChaMama

Slept in a bit!
    Dealt with HUGE cat created mess. We store the cat food in a container on the high shelf over the laundry machines. The cats managed to knock it down. Dry cat food spilled EVERYWHERE. (And the reason we store it up there is that they have figured out how to open the sealing mechanism, so if we leave it on the floor, they open it and help themselves. Perhaps we need a better storage bin.)

Went in to the office.
    Made decision between two different British histories of homosexuality, finally! (They cover different periods, and my course covers both periods, but it is too expensive to order both, as unlike novels, these histories cost $23-25...pricey for undergraduates. I do need to keep an eye on the book cost.) Decided which book to cut from the syllabus to make room for this addition. Submitted list to bookstore!

Put the finishing touches on a letter of recommendation and got it sent out. Hope I didn't make the parts about her creative writing TOO over the top. Letters of recommendation are such a tricky genre, because the American letter of recommendation has to be quite effusive--the Brits think we are absurd--and yet there is still probably such a thing as "too much." I think I have gotten better over the years, but still sometimes do a bit of hand-wringing.

The problem I talked about on Tuesday has continued unabated. The whole building was quite warm yesterday. My office was 79, which was cozy, but some were as high as 90, which is a little too Hades-like for many people. Apparently the powers that be are aware of the problem and we are #2 on the repair list. Sounds good.

That night, watched an episode of "Sherlock" with the family.
  16. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Watched DH around house as he wasn't, definitely, WAS NOT feeling good.
    I really don't want to share germs.
    Oregon DD extends invitation to 3 day August CW festival...yea! glady accept.
    DS - announced he is breaking in his brand new Toy Hauler,,,called/nicknamed "The Beast"...and he's nervous about driving his huge rig.
    ahhhh, memories.
    Make plans to take GS#2 up the hill mid-week and introduce him to skiing. He's quite excited.
    OMG! get out the hard bristle scrub brush, attach pole, SCRUB kitchen floor like old school, just not on hands and knees.
    NOW there's a work out. Results are marvelous.
    Do everything in house, around yards to avoid the stack of paperwork that is sitting on my desk. ARGHHHH...make it go away!
    Walk over to neighbor, remind him that he still has my waxing kit that he used for his snowboard, stand and wait and wait,,while he finds it.
    SEE? I'll do anything, just about, to avoid sitting down and plowing through paperwork. The word of yesterday "avoid". lol.
    Delight in the sunshine and warm weather for balance of day.
  17. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Fingers crossed for the success of the surgery and uhhhhh, your daughters driving ability...giggle.

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the well-wishes! And for daughter's driving, we're off to practice her backing technique in the truck this afternoon.
  19. flashdance

flashdance Active Member

Catching up with personal trainer in the gym for killer 'legs' session. I can still walk although when we did this for the first time last Monday I was in pain for 3 days after!

Followed by a nice if somewhat busy day at work..

Evening ~ practising Grade 2 piano pieces, web surfing here and there, chill out, tidying up... :)
  20. fascination

fri...pick up odds and ends from store...teach cycling then Y get with Executive Director to help him discern how to handle a disgruntled donor...home to a burst water with that for another hour or so....go to bed...catch up with aunt on the phone...dh and I skype w/our kids who are in Oregon...but not with the cutest one at that moment so what is the point? bed fairly early

sat (today)...even though it is early I do not foresee anything momentous transpiring...
    wake, practice, haul stuff for goodwill to car, drive to new hot yoga wonderful...lunch at B dubs....grilled chicken buffalitos...see engaged couples and chat with pastor/boss/friend

home now to what will likely be nothing but staring into one glow box or another for the remainder of the day....though we still need to take our live tree there is that...

edit to add; also watched jeopardy with dh and some dancevision smooth dvds
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2014