yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

another horrible night as dh had stress over upcoming work and when dh doesn't sleep, I don't sleep
    drag into work...teach blast...people are post holiday cranky
    home to wedding vendor emails...no, I will not pay 15k for lighting and decor
    cats are cranky
    do dishes, litter boxes, bills, laundry, feed all living things and nap
    teach spin, all well and good
    teach fusion...nothing goes well...choreo doesn't flow and technical difficulties
    quiet time with dh...hope we are moving into a return to normal schedule

2. NURDRMS

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

Started morning with annual wellness check with gyn. Yay. To work, where there are people lined up outside my office all day and I get nothing of consequence accomplished. To pre-op appointment with orthopedic doc, where I require him to draw me pictures of EXACTLY what he's going to do in surgery. Apparently this is a rare injury (that mostly bull riders get - we won't even go there) so he wants to video the surgery and has offered me a copy. Cool. Daughter and I are both excited about watching; husband looks ill. Back to work for more meetings. To studio where pro and I video all our routines to ensure we don't forget them while I can't dance for a while. Home to find that daughter has passed her driving test (watch out Colorado Springs.)

3. fascination

ew...nurdrms....wishing you a speedy recovery

4. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

@NURDRMS--Best wishes for an easy procedure and a smooth recovery, you "movie star," you!

5. ChaChaMama

THURSDAY:
    Slept in a bit!
    Read.
    Dealt with HUGE cat created mess. We store the cat food in a container on the high shelf over the laundry machines. The cats managed to knock it down. Dry cat food spilled EVERYWHERE. (And the reason we store it up there is that they have figured out how to open the sealing mechanism, so if we leave it on the floor, they open it and help themselves. Perhaps we need a better storage bin.)

Went in to the office.
    Made decision between two different British histories of homosexuality, finally! (They cover different periods, and my course covers both periods, but it is too expensive to order both, as unlike novels, these histories cost $23-25...pricey for undergraduates. I do need to keep an eye on the book cost.) Decided which book to cut from the syllabus to make room for this addition. Submitted list to bookstore!

Put the finishing touches on a letter of recommendation and got it sent out. Hope I didn't make the parts about her creative writing TOO over the top. Letters of recommendation are such a tricky genre, because the American letter of recommendation has to be quite effusive--the Brits think we are absurd--and yet there is still probably such a thing as "too much." I think I have gotten better over the years, but still sometimes do a bit of hand-wringing.

The problem I talked about on Tuesday has continued unabated. The whole building was quite warm yesterday. My office was 79, which was cozy, but some were as high as 90, which is a little too Hades-like for many people. Apparently the powers that be are aware of the problem and we are #2 on the repair list. Sounds good.

That night, watched an episode of "Sherlock" with the family.

6. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Watched DH around house as he wasn't, definitely, WAS NOT feeling good.
    I really don't want to share germs.
    Oregon DD extends invitation to 3 day August CW festival...yea! glady accept.
    DS - announced he is breaking in his brand new Toy Hauler,,,called/nicknamed "The Beast"...and he's nervous about driving his huge rig.
    ahhhh, memories.
    Make plans to take GS#2 up the hill mid-week and introduce him to skiing. He's quite excited.
    OMG! get out the hard bristle scrub brush, attach pole, SCRUB kitchen floor like old school, just not on hands and knees.
    NOW there's a work out. Results are marvelous.
    Do everything in house, around yards to avoid the stack of paperwork that is sitting on my desk. ARGHHHH...make it go away!
    Walk over to neighbor, remind him that he still has my waxing kit that he used for his snowboard, stand and wait and wait,,while he finds it.
    SEE? I'll do anything, just about, to avoid sitting down and plowing through paperwork. The word of yesterday "avoid". lol.
    Delight in the sunshine and warm weather for balance of day.

7. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Fingers crossed for the success of the surgery and uhhhhh, your daughters driving ability...giggle.

8. NURDRMS

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the well-wishes! And for daughter's driving, we're off to practice her backing technique in the truck this afternoon.

9. flashdance

flashdance Active Member

yesterday...

Catching up with personal trainer in the gym for killer 'legs' session. I can still walk although when we did this for the first time last Monday I was in pain for 3 days after!

Followed by a nice if somewhat busy day at work..

Evening ~ practising Grade 2 piano pieces, web surfing here and there, chill out, tidying up... :)

10. fascination

fri...pick up odds and ends from store...teach cycling then Y get moving...meet with Executive Director to help him discern how to handle a disgruntled donor...home to a burst water pipe...lovely...deal with that for another hour or so....go to bed...catch up with aunt on the phone...dh and I skype w/our kids who are in Oregon...but not with the cutest one at that moment so what is the point?...to bed fairly early

sat (today)...even though it is early I do not foresee anything momentous transpiring...
    wake, practice, haul stuff for goodwill to car, drive to new hot yoga place...so wonderful...lunch at B dubs....grilled chicken buffalitos...see engaged couples and chat with pastor/boss/friend

home now to what will likely be nothing but staring into one glow box or another for the remainder of the day....though we still need to take our live tree down...so there is that...

edit to add; also watched jeopardy with dh and some dancevision smooth dvds

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  11. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

Wake upshower, study, lunch, more study (175 physics questions.. Exhausting) hot yoga, dinner, study flashcards

fascination likes this.
  12. ChaChaMama

Dang, now I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't do hot yoga! It would probably be very good for me, but I think I might need to try regular flavor yoga first.

FRIDAY:
    The internet was out when we first got up. Child nagged Husband to wake up and fix it, despite my suggesting she should let him sleep. I guess it's a good thing she did because it turned out school was delayed an hour and we would not have known!

Read.
    Made sweet potato fries.

FIL had a second surgery (out in Houston) and his condition was worse than they expected. Husband in some emotional turmoil over this...yet seems reticent to fly back out immediately.

After Child came home from school, took her to two different dry cleaning places in order to get alterations done on her dance costume that I feel may be beyond my capacity.

Watched some of a webstream of a dance ccmpetition.

SATURDAY:
    Read.
    Did some laundry.
    Did a round of closet weeding. I'm trying to be better about not keeping articles of clothes to which I have a sentimental attachment, but which do not fit (e.g., "Yes, Self, this was a present from Mom well over a year ago, and you love your mom. But you are not ever going to wear this. Face this reality and let go." "Okay, Self, this suit is a size 10. You have worn a 6 or even a 4 for about 10 years, so this probably isn't the height of fashion either. It is a lovely suit, but get rid of it!") It was a good start. I should probably do a couple more rounds of it.

Watched another episode of "Sherlock" and some more of the webstream of the dance competition.

Had a stomachache that night. (I think maybe I had too much soda and not enough food.)

13. fascination

ccm...as regards hot yoga; I love it but I can see how it would not be everyone's cup of tea....first of all, if you are not one who likes the heat and is sensitive to it, it may not be your thing....I happen to love the heat...also, in my situation, because of how much physical exercise I get a week and because I am bulky, it is very important for me to have flexibility training in my fitness regimen, both as an antidote to the aches and pains and in keeping myself flexible in spite of considerable muscle mass (and some pockets of good living)...it may be something that you don't like or don't need...but it makes me feel 5 years younger and 10 pounds lighter everytime I do it (if only that were true...I will say it appears as though I lose about 10 pounds of water when I do it...based on the puddle on my mat)...I find it difficult and I am not particularly impressive...not awful, but not impressive...and yet, the benefits make it worthwhile...I also find it helps me to be cognizant of my breath and my balance...also important for me in very specific ways....I would certainly get a few regular classes under my belt before embarking upon it....

14. fascination

very sorry to hear about your father-in-law....perhaps your dh is needing this alone time to get himself ready....many people cope by withdrawing for a bit....there is a lot to process there.....very sorry in any case.....

15. ChaChaMama

SUNDAY:
    Woke up in the night with a calf cramp. Ow! Don't you hate that? Luckily it released pretty quickly.

Perhaps because of the rocky night, managed to sleep until about 8.

Helped La Petite ChaCha print out visual aids for her report on Florida. She wanted to print out photos of "famous Floridians," which apparently is defined a little loosely. (E.g., Gloria Estefan is a famous Floridian, although she was not born there. Ernest Hemingway is a famous Floridian even though he was neither born nor did he die there...though I get it, because he lived in the Keys for years. Zora Neale Hurston was in the mix, and Ray Charles. Child was scandalized that I did not know who Jacqueline Cochran was.)

Read.

Took La Petite ChaCha to see "The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug." We hadn't gotten around to it earlier due to the pneumonia/walking pneumonia which ate up December and the beginning of January. I would give it a 7. The acting was very good but the script made me wish I had never read the book, and especially that I hadn't re-read it with Child just a couple years ago.

Put in 8 miles on the treadmill.

FIL is hanging in there; his condition seems fairly stable for the moment. Apparently he wasn't all that lucid at points today. (And apparently the day previous, he had at one point thought he was in India...which he visited as a young man back in the 1960s. He is normally a very sharp guy, so to me, this suggests he is on A LOT of meds...and I don't think this is necessarily a terrible thing. I would rather be a twentysomething in India on a fellowship than in a hospital bed in Houston with several tubes sticking out of me in uncomfortable ways. A little vacation from reality seems okay.)

16. fascination

recieved the shock of our lives that an unexpected significant pay cut is coming.....the rest of the day was spent assessing our budget, making hard decisions, getting a hold of ourselves and drinking...and not sleeping at all...which is making today stink particularly hard...

17. ChaChaMama

:( Sorry to hear it.

I went through something similar, as you may recall, back in July when Husband got laid off from his main gig. He has other jobs, and wound up getting offered something reasonably lucrative from another employer before the week was out (and I picked up an extra course as well), but it was still a SHOCK.

18. fascination

thx ccm...I am adjusting and grateful for my blessings....it will be what it has to be until it changes again

19. stash

stash Well-Known Member

Thursday:

Work, home, have cat go outside... which he is allowed to do except today of all days because I am leaving to go down to the Eastern Shore... wait for him to show up, bf comes over in the mean time. Wait one more hour, leave at 7pm and drive with bf for 3 hours. Arrive at hotel and meet parents there. Go to bed.

Friday:

Wake up, get ready, go to grandma's house, church for greeting, funeral, lunch, then spending time with family. Eat dinner, go back to the hotel, sleep.

Saturday:
    Head home. Drop bf off, he goes to work to check on his cells, I head over to his place and clean up. He comes back, we play video games and watch tv. Drink too much, but it was well needed.

Sunday:

Wake up, play more video games, go to dim sum with parents and mom's friend from years ago. Not bad, but not great either. Go food shopping, relax at bf's place, head over to home with him, cook dinner for parents (home made chili), open presents from parents. Very happy to finally have christmas with them. Take bf back to his place, go home, sleep.

20. ChaChaMama

MONDAY:
    At 8 AM, Child remembered that it was our week to wash the placemats for 4th-6th grade. For today. Yeah, so that would have been easy to do this weekend, but cannot be done between 8 AM and 8:20 AM because of the space-time continuum. So I told her I would get them done before lunch and drop them off. Halfway to school, she also realized she forgot her viola. She is really lucky that I am in my time off between semesters right now!

Other than laundering placemats, my other activities of the day included:
    -Finishing Donna Tartt's The Goldfinch.
    -Doing a detailed analysis of our course offerings and staffing for 2013-14, full-timers vs. part-timers, etc.
    -Dealing with a couple work things related to the first year program. (Meeting today!)

That evening, I took Child to/from dance.
    We watched an episode of "Sherlock" with the family.
    I also took a hot bath before bed.