yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

MONDAY, MLK Day:
    -Took Child to her 11-2 rehearsal.
    Ran in to work while she was at rehearsal and came up with a rough draft of my Postcolonial Literature syllabus.
    (Husband had originally acted like he couldn't take her to either of her rehearsals, but later relented and agreed to take her to the 4:30-6:30.)

Read.
    Worked out.

TUESDAY, a snow day for all:
    -Grocery store early AM before things got crazy.
    -Read a lot.
    -Made a pot of black beans for dinner. Mmmm! (I've been meaning to do this for days, but kept forgetting to soak the beans the night before.) And yes, we eat beans as a main dish.
    -Sewed Child's hat and hat elastic for her sailor themed costume. It's a little uncomfortable, but I feel reasonably certain it would stay on.
    -Child and I did an online tutorial on the rules for the game Settlers of Catan. We have the "Star Trek" version of it, but we don't know how to play, so we learned.

P.S. Some good news: It looks like FIL may have turned a corner. They were able to remove one of his tubes. He is far from out of the woods and is obviously not leaving the hospital yet (he's already been there a month), but...a step forward, to be sure!!! (He had made it clear he does NOT want to die in Houston and would want to be transported back to Santa Fe, and for awhile I was thinking "I'm not even sure they will be able to do that for him. I don't know if he can make that trip. He's going to die in the hospital. Ugh." But now I'm feeling like there could be a light at the end of the tunnel which would allow him to return home and start chemo. Fingers crossed!)

llamasarefuzzy likes this.
  2. ChaChaMama

WEDNESDAY, another snow day:
    -Child and I played Settlers of Catan: Star Trek edition. We had never played this before, so there was for sure a learning curve.
    -Read.
    -Took Child to dance, which was not cancelled.
    -Helped out at the dance studio. I COUNTED GEMS, which were in bags of 10 gross each, into 1 gross bags. Costumes need to be gemmed before the next competition. The next competition is in--wait for it--10 days! And each costume is supposed to get 5.5 gross of gems glued on. A gross is 144 gems. And I still do not have the gems for my kid's costume, or the gem glue. (The gems will be distributed at the end of the week.) I have had the costume since October. I love doing things at the last minute, don't you?

3. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

wed...3 classes...training prep, dishes, no idea what else....sleep soundly

4. NURDRMS

NURDRMS Well-Known Member

yesterday worked WAAAY too long for still being in surgery recovery stage. came home exhausted and very, very sore. Scared myself into believing that maybe I'm not quite the superwoman I originally thought and that the doctor wasn't kidding when he said only four-hour days at work this week. Okay, I'll try to be good from now on.

5. fascination

long exhausting day...work, train and prep, work again, wedding stuff .....etc...

6. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Wake up to cell phone(s) - showing pictures of snowed in day in Austin Texas. Really? DD - it's EARLY here in So. Calif.
    Start planning a "family" quilt for Pro(s) pregnant wife - try to find pictures that matter to her - of her family and insert them into quilt.
    GS #2 - begging to get on the hill again and really ride on the 'real' chairlift. uhhhh WHAT DID I DO?! snicker, wink.
    Begin reading Tim Conway's book...and it's hysterical. I need a good laugh.
    Sit down with DH,,,look at finances,,,ARGHHH.
    Sign up for some cooking classes which I'm quite excited about with the Chef I previously had classes from.
    Receive news that our dearest family friend/practicing chiropractor had passed from a sudden heart attack,,,,DH and I
    remained in shock and quite stunned for several days...as he was in his mid-40's, very fit, and we had just seen him.
    Cried my eyes out yesterday about his passing.
    DH comes home from work...his friend at another manufacturer, young man with a 1 yr old and 3 yr old, passed from H1N1 flu.
    ARGGHHH....DH is clearly upset.
    ok, we will work through this.
    DH goes to circuit training....thankfully - I know he needs to release.
    I start going through all my ballroom shoes...trying to figure out what to do with the used ones that I don't wear anymore or are simply worn out.....hmmmmm...thoughts of Pinterest cross my brain waves.
    DH tries to change my flat tire on my Street Strider...and he does a good job,,,until I ride it and notice it's not changing gears at all...it's just one gear now. Ok, kudos for changing the flat tire...now....if we can just get it to work right.
    Head out to circuit training....uhhhh,,,,trainer must have had a hard day,,,he takes it out on my leg workout...and I slowly walk to car afterwards....and creep into the house...and plopped on the sofa and didn't move! ouchie~!

7. fascination

teach classes, nap...staff meeting....nothing else

j_alexandra likes this.
  8. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

Go to class, go to work. Come home and try really hard not to think about tomorrow. Start planning outfit for nationals, because seems like a good way to keep distracted. Order shirt for outfit, as well as sports bra which is much needed. Watch some Netflix, go over to parents house, get Thai takeout and watch more Netflix. Off to bed now to get what will hopefully be a good nights sleep

9. 3wishes

Went to local grocery store, need to "stockpile" vitamin supplements, etc etc,,,you know, those things that last a year but must take every day. I had tons of coupons, matched with store discounts and electronic coupons.
    purchased "real" groceries as well.
    YIPEEE, purchased $420 worth of items for $161.23 YES YES YES! she says, even store manager says that is really good!
    Home to hubby, whose legs are up on ottoman - it appears he ripped the calf tendon while doing his power walk.
    Poor him as I watch him hobble around the house.
    up the hill to check on step dad, take him to bone scan, pick up odds and ends, discuss SuperBowl picks with him.
    Down the hill and from this view, note exactly how dry the mountains are.
    Listen to news about local Black Bear in Pasadena who decided to follow a visiting Scotland couple out to their car. YIKES!
    DH and I also note that Disneyland is offering $53 a day pass to So. Calif. residents...oh...as we discuss....
    did they notice that So. Calif residents were not going to pay $100 a day to visit? and instead go to Knott's for $37 a person? hmmm
    we laugh.
    Speak with S_I_L, who has moved from Rancho Cucamonga,Calif, to Hoover Alabama and now Lake Mary Florida - to be near grown daughters (our nieces) as a family unit. Receive open ended invitation to visit and the offer of Walt Disney World not that far away.
    Dear niece works right at Daytona Beach located hospital...and the beach view is great! Must visit!
    DH and I found our dream home in the much discussed dream region for us of Central Coast of Calif....hard decisions coming up.

Purr likes this.
  10. ChaChaMama

THURSDAY:
    Read. Finished Graham Robb's Strangers: Homosexual Love in the 19th Century.
    Went in to work and worked on ENG 1101. Also made some corrections on my other syllabi.
    Worked out.
    Talked to Dad on phone.
    Read some more. Started Thomas Pynchon's Bleeding Edge.

FRIDAY:
    Got Child off to school.
    Did some housecleaning.
    Read.
    In at work from around 12-5 finalizing syllabi and course policies for the semester (which starts on Monday) and turning them in to the secretary for xeroxing, uploading materials to our learning management system (LMS), and cleaning office. It is still in the 80s in many parts of the building. Our secretary's office is like a sauna. It's too bad a bikini is not really appropriate officewear.

Family Fun Night: James Bond's "Goldeneye." First Pierce Brosnan one. First one with Judy Densch as M.

11. fascination

sat; teach 50/50...spend rest of day training new batch of instructors...home to prep and study for repeating it all tomorrow....drained....off to the jacuzzi with wine...dh made me a salad...thank God for that

j_alexandra likes this.
  12. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

Saturday: wake up, go to a bikram class. Come home and shower. Pack snack/ID/earplugs/pump up music for MCAT. Eat lunch and head over to the testing center, take the test. Head to the grocery store to get flowers for parents who have been so patient while I study. Go over to parents house, out to dinner. Skype with some college friend then out to the bars with some friends in town. Stay out much too late

fascination likes this.
  13. 3wishes

Forced Hubby to take a whopping big Potassium capsule, his legs are pooey - hurtful.
    A few hours later, he's feelin like his ol' self...watch out world.
    DH decides it's time to put photos from a year worth of travel into albums...uhhhh, I'm expressive in my own selfish,,"not interested"..as much as he was "not interested" in helping me paint the house interior rooms. LOL, wink, revenge is sweet.
    Just enjoy the day and a lackluster agenda,,,which is noteworthy because we are always, it seems, on the go.
    BASK in the sunshine and warmth.
    Catch up on reading.
    Snooze.
    ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh this is GOOD!

fascination and j_alexandra like this.
  14. fascination

worked all day long...going to make a casserole...eat it and go to bed

j_alexandra likes this.
  15. fascination

mon...classes cancelled...drive white knuckled to indy....lessons which started out well enough but I am struggling with the new normal and how it may affect my progress and it showed....going to have to get a grip on myself....drive home in rough weather...decompress with dh...bed

16. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

Work and more work...it's a good thing I enjoy my job...home to watch the Bachelor yesterday, yes I got sucked in by the train wreck, and then sleep till its's time to rinse and repeat...

17. ChaChaMama

SATURDAY:
    Worked out, read.

Got to the studio by 1:30 for dress rehearsal and final costume instructions for "Overboard," the sailor themed jazz and hip-hop production number. FINALLY got the gems we are supposed to put on the costume by next weekend...though only have the instructions for one of the three colors.
    Hung out until pick up time.

VERY exciting news: Child is a finalist in a student poetry contest!!! Exact placements will be announced at a ceremony in March. I am so proud of her!

SUNDAY:
    Grocery store before 8 AM to get ingredients to make chili.
    Made homemade turkey chili and corn muffins (from a box of the Jiffy mix, which is a nostalgia thing from childhood. Apparently my Mom and sister were just talking about this same mix).
    Cleaned house.
    Read.

Parents came over. I thought they were coming for lunch and socializing. I had NO IDEA they were planning to sleepover. I had been a little lukewarm when they had initially suggested this as a date for them to visit because Monday is the first day of school AND I knew I would have gemming to do on Child's costume, but was all "No, no, please, feel free to come" even though it was not the most convenient weekend. I would have been even more lukewarm if I realized they were planning to stay until the AM of the first day of school!
    I gem while they are here because...well, I have no choice since they are staying. They watch an episode of Sherlock with Child.
    Later, Child teaches my Dad to play Mastermind. I help him a little. He then does a code for Child...and she breaks it in three tries. Woah. (Combination of logic and luck, but still...I could tell my dad was impressed.)

Got a VERY sad phone call: my BFF's mother died. :( :( :( The memorial service is 11:30 AM Monday and they are only sitting shiva for one day (in New Jersey), so that's a problem, but I will send a donation to her charity of choice.

Chinese take-out for dinner.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
    llamasarefuzzy likes this.
  18. ChaChaMama

MONDAY:
    First day of school!

Get ready and out in a reasonably timely fashion given that parents are here.

8:25--Drop Child at school.

9:10--ENG 1101! Seems like a decent group.

10:20--POSTCOLONIAL LITERATURE. This class goes GREAT! We start by working on filling in as much as we can on a blank map of Africa, then doing a free association exercise, then talking about why Americans don't know more about African countries. Interestingly, a student from Ghana only does marginally better on the map of Africa and says that where she went to school (she lived there until 8th or 9th grade), a lot of the history taught was US and European rather than African. I was on, some of the students were really on...very enjoyable hour.

Lunch break and prep.

12:40--WALK ON THE WILDE SIDE. Another reasonably good hour, though I could feel my energy fading a little toward the end.

2-4--Office hours.

4:45--Left with Child for dance.

5:15-6:15--She dances.

7-8:30--Watch Sherlock as a family.

Read.
    Bedtime.

19. fascination

today/tues

dh home due to weather.....clean kitchen, do laundry, feed animals and clean litter boxes, pay bills, handle wedding stuff...zomg...whoknewitwouldbethismuchworkthissoon?...head to work...home to SOTU and wine

20. 3wishes

Congrats CCMM on Child's good news!

ChaChaMama likes this.