yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

teach 3 ...emails, massage and early dinner..take two more classes, home to chat with buddy...can't avoid feeling of marble in throat...rut roh

j_alexandra likes this.
  2. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Long chat with DH.
    Who decides that if things continue, plus other factors, he will retire permanently at the end of the year.
    I find this is a huge relief on a number of playing fields.
    Cruise to GS's school and take him to studio, he will compete with kid's at California Open,
    GS starts singing in the seat behind me, I swear he has the voice of an angel, really should look into voice lessons.
    GS also informs me that the music class at school I've signed him up for is AWESOME and loves Singing as well as all the instruments.
    Head to downtown for private lunch with co-worker who is about to retire. THIS WAS FUN.
    Ran into alot of ex-co/workers, caught up with life, informed by them of their own up and coming retirements with no regrets on the table at all.
    Yes, I say in conversation, but the true power of your daily choice is up to you AND THAT IS SWEET as the kids say.
    Inform pro, again, I don't know about lessons, massive repair construction of built in pool MUST take place, saving $$ to do it. my brain screams,,,,I MISS my lessons as I stare at pool while speaking with him.
    Out to Palm Desert to see Bio-dad - rocked out with him and wife at the best burger place in the desert but I got the Fish Taco special...and it was the BEST I've ever had...really.
    Starting to consider going full time paid - as ski instructor - maybe next season, I simply love being outdoors and teaching.
    May have to see Rod Stewart in Vegas....BABY!!!! Time to plan the travels...points,coupons,free hotel nights...coming up!

DesireeDC likes this.
  3. fascination

teach a fitness class ...meet with boss...home to various other tasks including putting dinner in a crock pot and making new playlists for classes as well as chatting with son, and brother...spend some time deflecting persons hell bent on negativity...teach 2 more classes....bed soon

4. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

Drive to morning classes because they are just too early, too far away, and too cold, and too sick to walk
    Almost rear end someone on the way home because of snow, fortunately was able to stop in time. Eat lunch, do some reading.
    Hold office hours, and, surprise! Nobody comes. I have had literally 2 students come to office hours ever. At least I get some grading done. More class- impress professor by asking semi-intelligent question. Am very pleased with myself about this. Stick around for the graduate seminar after class. Email prof and ask if I can change my presentation topic to said intelligent question.
    Call dad for ride home because I walked in for the afternoon. Help mom make dinner, eat, watch Alias with the fam, sleep (but only after spending too much time watching old Budweiser superbowl commercials and tearing up more than I care to admit.)

5. fascination

teach a full spin class and the Y get fit for seniors...staff meetings...make to-do list for weekend, pet care, clean kitchen a tiny bit and round up trash, pet care, nap, grocery shopping cooking...bed soon

6. 3wishes

Errands and pick up a few BOGO specials at the store. Nearly free stuff. Always good.
    Catch up on some shows.
    Check for social dance party at another studio in a town nearby.
    Feed DH Pizza and adios...amigo...away to a Surf and Turf w/wine and desert Chef's course.
    FUN FUN FUN.
    Lots of stuff goin on in the class so divided into teams.
    I'm all over the Chocolate Souffle' but it's not mine to make...darn it.
    FINALLY learned how to knife a tenderloin,,,as in the WHOLE tenderloin.
    Salmon was amazing. and the Potatoes....ROCKED,,,must do this for special occasions.
    Late getting home,,,,soooo worth it.
    yummmmmmy.

7. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

One of the pleasures of working in these classes is students like you. So glad you enjoyed it.

ChaChaMama likes this.
  8. fascination

hot yoga cancelled....tear tree down...experience a fundamentally flawed judgement from someone and make adjustments accordingly...well, amazing how character or lack thereof exposes itself...disappointed, always hope that most folks are deeper than they seem...usually wrong...sigh...spend rest of day getting acclimated to new training dvds for work and exploring a host of other new possibilities...still, discouraged by a number of things these days and likely going to bed early...not because I think tomorrow will be better...but because I expect that it will more than likely be worse...but hey, it's snowing heavily, I have a roof over my head, a wonderful family, and if not health, then an absence of illness....I choose to be grateful and optimistic in spite of it all

j_alexandra likes this.
  9. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

TUESDAY:
    Get Child to school.
    9-10--Office hours.
    10-11:15ish--First Year Team.
    Home, 4.5 miles on treadmill, shower, lunch, off to Towson.
    2-3:30--Lesson w/Nik! First time in 2014. (Life and snow have interfered with other possible attempts.)
    Home. Dinner and a little downtime. Child to dance.
    7-8:15--Child dances.
    Some more costume gemming.

WEDNESDAY:
    And behold, God saw that his servant CCM still had more gems to put on CCC's costume and decided a 1 hour school delay was in order.
    10:20--Postcolonial Literature, Day 2. Discussed Graham Huggan's The Postcolonial Exotic.
    Lunch break.
    12:40--Walk on the Wilde Side. Discussed Foucault.
    1:45--Office hours.
    3--Picked up Child at school.
    4--Left for dance studio.
    Stayed because they were doing a final dress rehearsal and I don't entirely trust Child not to lose her costume pieces. [She left her competition hip-hop boots and Urban Empire pants at the studio after Saturday's rehearsal. My nightmare is that we will be missing a costume piece and she won't be allowed to perform.]
    I read Thomas Pynchon while she was in rehearsal and class.

Home. Too tired to do any more costume alterations. Just put Child to bed.

THURSDAY:
    Husband left for teaching junket in Atlanta.
    Did further gemming, sewing, and alterations. This included yet another trip to Jo-Ann Fabrics to buy more sew on snaps.
    In case anyone should ever have the need to know this--and for your sakes, I hope you do not--yes, you can sew snaps on to clear bra straps if you need to snap down the costume to hold in in place. (I wasn't sure they would be strong enough to hold a snap, but it worked.) And no, CCC does not need to wear a bra normally, but it's part of the costume because I guess some girls do.

Made lots of sugar cookies shaped like anchors and like Star Wars characters, as the performance team is doing a big sailor themed number and the company is doing a Star Wars themed number.

6 miles on treadmill. I'm reading Veronica Roth's Divergent on the treadmill...because I'm giving a lecture later this month on dystopias in literature and this is a book many students will have read or will soon read given that the movie is coming out in March.

10. ChaChaMama

FRIDAY:
    Dropped Child off at school.
    9:10--ENG 1101. Titles, introductions, thesis statements. One student actually said "I like her" audibly after I said something reasonably witty. :)
    10:20--Postcolonial Literature. Talked about Achebe and Ngugi's debate about writing in English vs. writing in an indigenous African language like Igbo (for Achebe) or Gikuyu (for Ngugi).
    Advising session w/ two of my first years. Lunch.
    12:40--Walk on the Wilde Side. More Foucault.
    Target run.
    3--Pick Child up at school.

Exciting news: the rooter poms I ordered for the team arrived! I was told not to expect them this early, so this was a treat. Just on time for this competition!

We make a collective decision not to head to the competition until tomorrow. (Her call time isn't until 3 PM.)
    -Watch some of tonight's coverage on live stream.
    -Made more cookies for the team snack table. I was quite despondent to realize some of the ones from the day before were broken. I had been storing them in a big cardboard box and I think one of the cats jumped in! (You know how cats looooove boxes.) I had been keeping it shut with a heavy book on top but forgot to put the book back on top after counting how many I had made and packaged up. Grr. Child told me I was stressing too much about this.

SATURDAY:
    Watched some of the live stream.

Some unpleasantness when we were doing hair and make-up. I did not appreciate being told "You ought to have X's mom do my hair. X's mom does her hair perfectly every time." Thanks. That really makes me feel great. [Amusingly, I passed on this compliment to X's mom and she said "I don't do my daughter's hair. She's done her own for years." HA!] Oh, and I have decided that it is not natural to put eyeliner on another human being. Those competition make-up artists must have super human skills.

I think we had another spat after that as well. Can't remember what about. Grrr.

We decided to push the re-set button the whole day when we left for the comp around noon.

Arrived. The rooter poms were a HUGE HIT! Everybody on the team loved them, especially the littlest kids who were just beside themselves with joy. A very cute and surprisingly articulate tiny little girl from another team said "I'm a little jealous." I let her play with a pom, though I explained to her that they were not her team's colors. Her mom and I got to chatting, and I told her they were only 73 cents each, so she might look into getting them for her team as well.

CCC's first number is a huge production number called "Overboard" with 55 kids in it ranging from pre-schoolers to high schoolers, with both jazz and hip-hop sections. It went well. Not 100% clean (remember, there are 4-year-olds in it), but it kept up the energy throughout. They got a "High Gold" for it, which is the second highest possible award.

Later, the junior and teen performance team did their tap number to Gloria Estefan's "Wepa," and this also went well and was noticeably cleaner than the last competition. They also got a "High Gold" for that.

The performance team is like the JV squad at the studio, and then there is the company, which is the elite group. The Company performed many numbers, and earned 1st and 2nd prize for overall best "line" routines (which basically means an extended large group act) for "The Throne" and "Rise of the Empire" (Star Wars themed). They also earned 3rd and 6th place for overall best "large group" routines for their numbers "Listen to Me" and "Ribs." (The winners in the large group division did an absolutely amazing Charlie Chaplin themed hip-hop number with lots of popping and locking and the use of umbrellas as props.)

So a great day at the competition. I then foolishly agreed to let Child stay through a teen performance team number she really wanted to see if she promised to be super agreeable about leaving thereafter...but somehow we managed to get in another fight. I think she was overtired.

SUNDAY:
    Much easier time doing hair and make-up today, for whatever reason, and much more pleasant moods all around.

CCC had two numbers today.

The first was their musical theater number to "Crazy in Love" from "The Great Gatsby." Best of their costumes, in my opinion. The number went well for the first half...and then the music skipped. But the kids valiantly got back on it. I know they were a little rattled, but I actually think they came out looking good because they handled the situation professionally.

Their final number of the day was their favorite, "Every Time the Beat Drops," the hip-hop number. It was AWESOME!

They wound up getting 5th (for "Every Time the Beat Drops") and 6th (for "Crazy in Love") out of the 19 routines in their division.

The junior company got 1st, 2nd, and 3rd best routines in their division, which is amazing.

Additionally, three of Child's junior performance team teammates did either solos or duos and got top honors for those as well! So a great day.

We then drove back home and went to the grocery store in advance of the snow.
    Dinner. Uploaded photos.
    Husband made it home from Georgia.

11. fascination

sat..kickbox, hot yoga...not much else...edit to add: practice, soak in tub, watch big bang theory and sip rose wine....dh is working on a brief so I am pretty much on my own this weekend

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  12. ChaChaMama

I'm a week behind, but it has been a crazy week!!!

MONDAY:
    Snow day. Child's school cancelled. College cancelled.
    Read Dave Eggers' The Circle.
    Watched the final episode of Season 3 of "Sherlock." Child LOVES this show with a passion!
    [Fantasy idea: Benedict Cumberbatch is allegedly going to play "Hamlet" in the West End this fall. Would LOVE to take Child. If I can get the ticket info in a timely fashion and can make it work $$$-wise, who knows?]

TUESDAY:
    Child and I back to school. Child had a field trip to the Baltimore Museum of Industry and the BSO.
    I had office hours and a meeting over at the library.
    Then home, got changed, and headed to Baltimore for a Nik lesson!

That night, I had Vagina Monologues rehearsal.

WEDNESDAY:
    The power went off at about 6:30 AM...and stayed off for the next 2 1/2 days.
    Ice and snow storm. Child's school cancelled. College cancelled. (At first, the college was announcing at 12 noon opening. I was like "Um...okay. Not sure if this is going to be a suicide mission, but I guess I'll try to go to work." Then the "Just kidding" announcement came through. Phew!)
    I finished reading The Circle.
    That night, we played Settlers of Catan-Star Trek edition my flashlight light. Oddly, though I understand the strategy better now, I played much worse! The luck of the dice was not with me.

THURSDAY:
    Second day of work this week.
    Got stuff done in the office that I normally would have done on Wednesday.
    Faculty meeting.
    Guest lectured on Modernism in the Postmodernism course. (I get paid extra for this. Sweet!)

Out to dinner at Denny's. I don't think I've been to a Denny's in over a decade. Dang--that is some seriously yummy and bad for you diner food!
    My hope had been to check into a hotel (due to the fact that my house was getting kind of cold--around 53 degrees and dropping) and then go "Vagina Monologues" rehearsal...but every place in town was sold out. So I wound up checking in at dress, but then driving on to a town about 30-35 minutes away and staying in a Doubletree hotel. We watched a little Olympics and then sacked out in the beautiful warmth.

FRIDAY:
    Hey, check it out! It's not snowing on the MWF rotation! Child had the day off (scheduled in service) so she came with me.
    9:10--ENG 1101. Discussed MLA citation format and practiced it.
    10:20--POSTCOLONIAL LITERATURE. Discussed scholarly pieces by Edward Said and Chinua Achebe.

Lunch break. Child very much wanted to go to the college dining hall, so Husband joined us and we all went. It was very nice. I had bbq chicken pizza on a cracker-thin crust and salad, then a blondie for dessert. Child had cheese pizza, guacamole, and hard boiled egg and carrots from the salad bar, then ice cream for dessert. Husband also had the bbq chicken pizza and some other stuff.

12:40--WALK ON THE WILDE SIDE. BEST class of the day! Excellent discussion of cross-dressing in Victorian England and why it was perceived as a threat. We had a guest student and I think she was quite interested! Child participated in the discussion too--she raised her hand and everything--which was amusing to the students.

Got some work done.

Home and...oh my gosh, the power company got the tree off the wire!!!!!!!!! We have power!!!!!! My house was only 50 degrees, but hey! Lights! Running water!

I was so excited I tackled cleaning out the fridge, taking out each shelf and rinsing it while I was at it. Then I got ready for the show.

"VAGINA MONOLOGUES"! It went great. Our director from 2010 who is now a big time feminist organizer in DC was the "Vagina Warrior," an honor given to a woman who stands up for women's causes. She cried and hugged ME! (I'm the only one who is still in the cast from her time and we're pretty good friends.)
    The person who told her story at the end of the show was so strong.
    My peer mentor and a couple of my students came and gave me a card. One student wrote something SUPER nice about my influence on her...and said she's going to do the show next year! Made me feel great.

DesireeDC likes this.
  13. fascination

not even going to bother with the missed days...suffice it to say, it was all work or sleep

sunday...rather long convo with dh involving the major life transitions of late...we are both still whirling on a variety of fronts...spend the next several hours doing mother of the bride stuff...including pouring over hundreds of "save the date" magnet styles...lol...3 hours of my life that I can never get back....feeling a deep fatigue today...so, not terribly productive beyond that...but tomorrow will be very, very busy ...so it is just as well

14. ChaChaMama

SATURDAY:
    Woke up feeling refreshed and happy that my power continues to be ON.
    Child and Husband came home and I did her hair.
    Did mountains of laundry.
    Read.
    6 miles on treadmill.

"Vagina Monologues" night #2!

SUNDAY:
    BIG grocery shop to replace contents of refrigerator.
    Read and wrote in diary.
    Did a little grading.
    Played Blokus with ChaChaChild.
    Watched some Olympics.

15. 3wishes

Scored $14 tickets for Pagent of the Masters! neighbors and myself are quite happy cannot speak for DH.
    Took GS to USS Iowa, fun day at the Harbor!

j_alexandra likes this.
  16. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

sunday ran ten rounds of smooth in two hours!!

that was a party

monday massive clinic day

off to cal open tomorrow!!

stash, llamasarefuzzy and Sania like this.
  17. fascination

mon...teach 3 classes...home to lunch and nap, a bit of wedding stuff...off to counsel engaged couples in the evening

j_alexandra likes this.
  18. fascination

tues...dark day...enough said

wed. taught 3 classes....home to a brief nap and some food...recieve a call that offers me the hope of a light at the end of the tunnel which might not be a train...encouraged...struggle a bit less through hot yoga than previous weeks, see engaged couples....begin to set a new shcedule for the next chapter of my life...and hope that it is a kinder gentler one

19. ChaChaMama

Mr. 4Styles--WOW, 10 rounds of smooth in 2 hours! Way to go with that.

Fascination--Good luck with the next chapter, whatever it may bring!
    And I hope that the people with the negative energy you mentioned upthread calm the bleep down or at least stop bringing their drama into your life. As the most celebrated meme of the last couple years would have it, "Ain't nobody got time for that!"

MONDAY:
    Normal school day, for once!
    9:10--ENG 1101. In class debates.
    10:20--POSTCOLONIAL LITERATURE.
    Lunch.
    12:40--WALK ON THE WILDE SIDE. Discussed the Cleveland Street Affair. (Famous male prostitution scandal in 1889. What's interesting about it is that none of the johns were punished at all, and only two people who worked there, both of whom could also be charged with procurement. The person who served the longest sentence out of this scandal? A journalist.)
    2-4--Office hours.
    Home. Took Child to dance.
    I think we watched some Olympics that night.

TUESDAY:
    9-10--Office hours.
    10-11:30--First year team meeting.
    11:30-1--Department meeting.
    1:45--Left for DC with a student. 1 hour to the metro, and then about 1 hour on metro to Capitol South.
    4--Got together with a friend who works at the State Department.
    6-8--DC RISING RECEPTION FEATURING EVE ENSLER, CONGRESSWOMAN CAROLYN MALONEY, CONGRESSWOMAN JAN SCHAKOWSKY, AND MANY FEMINIST LEADERS INCLUDING TERRY O'NEILL OF NOW AND ELEANOR SMEAL OF THE FEMINIST MAJORITY. Very cool event, and one of the main coordinators is an alum of the college where I teach. Very proud. Two people from our campus safety division who do rape crisis presentations and a professor of sociology were also there.

By the way, this is a HUGE international event to call attention to issues of justice for women. There are thousands of events. I believe something like 200 countries are involved. For events in your area:
    http://www.onebillionrising.org/events/#!/0/0/1/

20. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

All My Yesterdays:

I just took a brief look back at this thread, going back to 09. Remarkable, how much memory cascaded from reading what I wrote, and how interesting to look at the early steps in what has become some pretty good friendships. YA threadmembers were wonderful friends, and helped me through some rough patches, rejoiced at the good stuff, and actually read my LOOOONG and wordy posts. For which I am grateful.

I'll try to be more up to date. Life has taken me on some interesting twisty paths.

Sania and fascination like this.