yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

sat..kickbox, hot yoga...not much else...edit to add: practice, soak in tub, watch big bang theory and sip rose wine....dh is working on a brief so I am pretty much on my own this weekend
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  2. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

I'm a week behind, but it has been a crazy week!!!

Snow day. Child's school cancelled. College cancelled.
    Read Dave Eggers' The Circle.
    Watched the final episode of Season 3 of "Sherlock." Child LOVES this show with a passion!
    [Fantasy idea: Benedict Cumberbatch is allegedly going to play "Hamlet" in the West End this fall. Would LOVE to take Child. If I can get the ticket info in a timely fashion and can make it work $$$-wise, who knows?]

Child and I back to school. Child had a field trip to the Baltimore Museum of Industry and the BSO.
    I had office hours and a meeting over at the library.
    Then home, got changed, and headed to Baltimore for a Nik lesson!

That night, I had Vagina Monologues rehearsal.

The power went off at about 6:30 AM...and stayed off for the next 2 1/2 days.
    Ice and snow storm. Child's school cancelled. College cancelled. (At first, the college was announcing at 12 noon opening. I was like "Um...okay. Not sure if this is going to be a suicide mission, but I guess I'll try to go to work." Then the "Just kidding" announcement came through. Phew!)
    I finished reading The Circle.
    That night, we played Settlers of Catan-Star Trek edition my flashlight light. Oddly, though I understand the strategy better now, I played much worse! The luck of the dice was not with me.

Second day of work this week.
    Got stuff done in the office that I normally would have done on Wednesday.
    Faculty meeting.
    Guest lectured on Modernism in the Postmodernism course. (I get paid extra for this. Sweet!)

Out to dinner at Denny's. I don't think I've been to a Denny's in over a decade. Dang--that is some seriously yummy and bad for you diner food!
    My hope had been to check into a hotel (due to the fact that my house was getting kind of cold--around 53 degrees and dropping) and then go "Vagina Monologues" rehearsal...but every place in town was sold out. So I wound up checking in at dress, but then driving on to a town about 30-35 minutes away and staying in a Doubletree hotel. We watched a little Olympics and then sacked out in the beautiful warmth.

Hey, check it out! It's not snowing on the MWF rotation! Child had the day off (scheduled in service) so she came with me.
    9:10--ENG 1101. Discussed MLA citation format and practiced it.
    10:20--POSTCOLONIAL LITERATURE. Discussed scholarly pieces by Edward Said and Chinua Achebe.

Lunch break. Child very much wanted to go to the college dining hall, so Husband joined us and we all went. It was very nice. I had bbq chicken pizza on a cracker-thin crust and salad, then a blondie for dessert. Child had cheese pizza, guacamole, and hard boiled egg and carrots from the salad bar, then ice cream for dessert. Husband also had the bbq chicken pizza and some other stuff.

12:40--WALK ON THE WILDE SIDE. BEST class of the day! Excellent discussion of cross-dressing in Victorian England and why it was perceived as a threat. We had a guest student and I think she was quite interested! Child participated in the discussion too--she raised her hand and everything--which was amusing to the students.

Got some work done.

Home and...oh my gosh, the power company got the tree off the wire!!!!!!!!! We have power!!!!!! My house was only 50 degrees, but hey! Lights! Running water!

I was so excited I tackled cleaning out the fridge, taking out each shelf and rinsing it while I was at it. Then I got ready for the show.

"VAGINA MONOLOGUES"! It went great. Our director from 2010 who is now a big time feminist organizer in DC was the "Vagina Warrior," an honor given to a woman who stands up for women's causes. She cried and hugged ME! (I'm the only one who is still in the cast from her time and we're pretty good friends.)
    The person who told her story at the end of the show was so strong.
    My peer mentor and a couple of my students came and gave me a card. One student wrote something SUPER nice about my influence on her...and said she's going to do the show next year! Made me feel great.
    DesireeDC likes this.
  3. fascination

not even going to bother with the missed days...suffice it to say, it was all work or sleep

sunday...rather long convo with dh involving the major life transitions of late...we are both still whirling on a variety of fronts...spend the next several hours doing mother of the bride stuff...including pouring over hundreds of "save the date" magnet hours of my life that I can never get back....feeling a deep fatigue, not terribly productive beyond that...but tomorrow will be very, very busy it is just as well
  4. ChaChaMama

Woke up feeling refreshed and happy that my power continues to be ON.
    Child and Husband came home and I did her hair.
    Did mountains of laundry.
    6 miles on treadmill.

"Vagina Monologues" night #2!

BIG grocery shop to replace contents of refrigerator.
    Read and wrote in diary.
    Did a little grading.
    Played Blokus with ChaChaChild.
    Watched some Olympics.
  5. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Scored $14 tickets for Pagent of the Masters! neighbors and myself are quite happy cannot speak for DH.
    Took GS to USS Iowa, fun day at the Harbor!
    j_alexandra likes this.
  6. Mr 4 styles

Mr 4 styles Well-Known Member

sunday ran ten rounds of smooth in two hours!!

that was a party

monday massive clinic day

off to cal open tomorrow!!
    stash, llamasarefuzzy and Sania like this.
  7. fascination

mon...teach 3 classes...home to lunch and nap, a bit of wedding to counsel engaged couples in the evening
    j_alexandra likes this.
  8. fascination

tues...dark day...enough said

wed. taught 3 classes....home to a brief nap and some food...recieve a call that offers me the hope of a light at the end of the tunnel which might not be a train...encouraged...struggle a bit less through hot yoga than previous weeks, see engaged couples....begin to set a new shcedule for the next chapter of my life...and hope that it is a kinder gentler one
  9. ChaChaMama

Mr. 4Styles--WOW, 10 rounds of smooth in 2 hours! Way to go with that.

Fascination--Good luck with the next chapter, whatever it may bring!
    And I hope that the people with the negative energy you mentioned upthread calm the bleep down or at least stop bringing their drama into your life. As the most celebrated meme of the last couple years would have it, "Ain't nobody got time for that!"

Normal school day, for once!
    9:10--ENG 1101. In class debates.
    12:40--WALK ON THE WILDE SIDE. Discussed the Cleveland Street Affair. (Famous male prostitution scandal in 1889. What's interesting about it is that none of the johns were punished at all, and only two people who worked there, both of whom could also be charged with procurement. The person who served the longest sentence out of this scandal? A journalist.)
    2-4--Office hours.
    Home. Took Child to dance.
    I think we watched some Olympics that night.

9-10--Office hours.
    10-11:30--First year team meeting.
    11:30-1--Department meeting.
    1:45--Left for DC with a student. 1 hour to the metro, and then about 1 hour on metro to Capitol South.
    4--Got together with a friend who works at the State Department.
    6-8--DC RISING RECEPTION FEATURING EVE ENSLER, CONGRESSWOMAN CAROLYN MALONEY, CONGRESSWOMAN JAN SCHAKOWSKY, AND MANY FEMINIST LEADERS INCLUDING TERRY O'NEILL OF NOW AND ELEANOR SMEAL OF THE FEMINIST MAJORITY. Very cool event, and one of the main coordinators is an alum of the college where I teach. Very proud. Two people from our campus safety division who do rape crisis presentations and a professor of sociology were also there.

By the way, this is a HUGE international event to call attention to issues of justice for women. There are thousands of events. I believe something like 200 countries are involved. For events in your area:!/0/0/1/
  10. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

All My Yesterdays:

I just took a brief look back at this thread, going back to 09. Remarkable, how much memory cascaded from reading what I wrote, and how interesting to look at the early steps in what has become some pretty good friendships. YA threadmembers were wonderful friends, and helped me through some rough patches, rejoiced at the good stuff, and actually read my LOOOONG and wordy posts. For which I am grateful.

I'll try to be more up to date. Life has taken me on some interesting twisty paths.
    Sania and fascination like this.
  11. j_alexandra

So: Let me see if I can do a couple of days this week.

Go out to broom off snow from disastrous driveway, only to find that the plow/shovel guy was already on it, yay
    Lesson, yay
    Home, lunch, crash
    Group class
    Soup and salad at old favorite place, which I miss; since moving away, I seldom stop by
    Home, read, Z

Gyro, which I almost didn't do b/c I was so ouchie, but the stretching and movement inherent in gyro was a magical fix
    Get text from Amy, who rented my best gown for her last comp, and wants to rent it for the next one; however, I am wearing it for that comp, so she asks if I have anything else; I do; she's pleased; however, we laugh over the fact that she and I will be dancing against each other!
    Home, food, prep for
    Lesson, in which Magic Happened; ones like that will keep me coming back forever
    Home; bit o' food
    To work; traffic is appalling, I am LATE TO WORK, which makes me crazy and the chef is most displeased with me and says so; who can blame her? there's an hour to prep for class, I've thrown the schedule off
    Class is mercifully small, only 6 people, and there are two assistants, so all the work gets done quickly and well, until... chef gets flustered and starts to forget steps and ingredients; the possibility for disaster is huge, but luckily all students are friends of the chef, so nobody cares, not to mention they've brought their own liquid supplies, so they would be happy anyway; class runs way over time
    Leave phone at work; TDNWMH
    Stop at winebar on the way home to visit with Blond German Friend, but winebar has a wine tasting, so she can't hang out, and I turn around and walk out the moment I see the crowd
    Pulled over by police on the way home -- same cop, same intersection as the last time, 3 years ago; TDNWMH, he obviously has JA radar
    Home, glass of wine, Z
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  12. j_alexandra

Wake late, by my standards (7:00); this happening often recently, I think partly b/c it's WINTER and b/c cat is no longer waking me at 5am
    Have intestinal issues for the whole morning; also realize I did not eat enough the previous day; am lightheaded and wobbly
    Coffee banana etc
    Shower, dress for Lesson
    Eat a lot; by way of a change, this does not come back to bite me in the knat, so I obviously needed it
    To work before lesson, to pick up my phone; people I work with give me some minor razzing about leaving the phone
    To supermarket to pick up ingredients for Samina's Amazing Homemade No Kidding This Stuff Is Great Gatorade-Replacement
    Lesson; inform Teach that I'm wobbly and weak and make some Samina's Amazing real fast; consume it; five minutes later, am doing well; he decides we will do Standard foxtrot instead of Smooth, since JA is wobbly and weak; turns r not me, at the moment, but 15 minutes later, I'm all better (Samina's Amazing is truly amazing)
    Supermarket for pre-Snowmageddon supplies; get call from a buddy, Let's Have Lunch; we do
    Home; nap
    Tutor; my Tutee has big issues, I did not realize, when I took her on, that she's got an IQ of 75; I have a lot to learn from her, maybe more than she has to learn from me
    Theater; we take my car rather than Father's new SUV, b/c who wants to pay the extra $10 to park an SUV? I'd much rather take his car, in winter; it's 4WD and high driving position, great for crappy roads, but we have to balance that and the $; meh, if that's my worst problem, I'm doing well; show is so-so, drive home is easy
    To winebar to deliver bag of stones and some glue to Blond German Friend, who may be re-stoning the gown I'm renting, if renter so wishes
    Home; Z
  13. fascination

ccm...thanks...transitions can be rough, but I am actually trusting into this one reasonably well, and I also think that hot yoga is playing a big role in helping me to be in touch with my best self right now and in knowing what I need and what is not good for me...perhaps it is because my husband has had so much uncertainty at work, or perhaps it is because I will turn 50 in 19 months, or perhaps it is because that is only one month before my baby gets married, or maybe it is because I have simply felt overwhelmed by pressure and toxicity at work and elsewhere for so long that, while some parts of this make me very sad, I am welcoming an opportunity to construct a healthier more affirming experience ...and I am grateful for that.....
    3wishes and ChaChaMama like this.
  14. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Fasc, I hope that whatever this transition involves, that it goes well and leaves you in a better place.

BTW, nice new avatar photo.
    Sania and j_alexandra like this.
  15. fascination

thx buddy
    cornutt likes this.
  16. ChaChaMama

Pretty regular day of work.
    8:45, 9:05, 9:25, 9:45--ENG 1101 appts. First one was no show.

10:20--POSTCOLONIAL LITERATURE. Finished discussing Things Fall Apart. A student surprised me and came up with an interpretation I'd never heard or thought of...which is pretty amazing considering I've taught this book probably a dozen times, and read quite a number of scholarly articles on it. This stimulated quite a bit of discussion. We really probably needed another class session to do full justice to this book, or at least another 30 minutes, but we are already struggling to stay on top of things due to the snowstorm.

Lunch, preparation for next class.

12:40--WALK ON THE WILDE SIDE. Wilde's trials. The first was a libel trial he brought against the Marquis of Queensbury who had accused him of "posing as a sodomite."

1:45, 2:05--ENG 1101 appts.

3--Pick up Child. Check to see what the studio is going to do in light of impending snow. Close 1 hour early? Deal.

4--Child to dance.
    4:30-7--Child at dance. I am SUPER tired due to going to bed too late after DC outing. (I didn't get home until 10:30 PM and was kind of keyed up.) Wrote in diary a bit.
    Kids are supposed to be out at 7:45, but coach is keeping them over...and it's snowing. Parents are getting itchy to hit the road before the conditions get worse. Finally out.

Snow day! All told, we get something like 22" of snow, about 19-20" in the first wave, and then a second wave came in after darkness, undoing some of the the work of the plows.

I had a pretty relaxing day:
    -Wrote in my diary.
    -8.25 miles on treadmill. Showered.
    -Solved a minor crisis Child was having vis a vis an online course she is taking.
    -Watched the Olympics.
    -Marked a half dozen papers.
    Basically, other than the workout, it was a PJ day!
  17. 3wishes

Spent the better part of yesterday working on a lean and mean
    WEB PAGE for my husband's business. Let's note: I have no idea what I'm doing. I am NOT a technology person.
    PRAISED the heavens for Go Daddy dot com - now, if I can just follow the instructions.
    WHY? I ask myself....yesterday, Because, as I remind myself all day yesterday, a web page designer costs $$$$.
    Caught the Olympics loved the snow sports. Ice Skating was magnificent and amazing, almost cried hearing the back story of the Gold Medal pairs male.
    Promised myself, if I get back to Park City, UT, I'm definately doing a bob-sled ride. WEEEEEEEEE.
    Found pictures from long ago of our kids, had a rockin good laugh,,,,compelled to post a few on social media,,,hysterical calls from cousins,,,who needed a laugh apparently.
  18. fascination

valentines day: well, the cat did a great job of picking a card...the spouse? he has other endearing qualities

sat. teach blast, 50/50 then go to hot shop, laundry, dishes, olympics...bed soon
  19. 3wishes

Plan logistics with Grandson's mama for Calif Open.
    Pick up GS, DH and I - head to beach.
    Check into our hotel, Check into Mama's hotel - pick up her room keys - she arrives in evening.
    Head to Hilton Costa Mesa - get lay of the land so we are not LOST on Sunday morning.
    GS does cartwheels on the hotel carpet,,continuous - into restaurant...uhhhhhh, sigh.
    He has got more energy than I could possibly bottle and sell.
    Dinner at hotel restaurant (promise to GS since he's never been),
    Pro spots "Z" at glass elevator which GS "Z" wants to ride...thinking this is awesome.
    Pro kidnaps GS from DH - takes him for a ride, and escalators, and where Pro has DW and kids.
    GS loves it.
    Eat dinner, run into friends I haven't seen since's catch up conversation time,,,GS still doing cartwheels.
    Meet up with GS mama,,,drop him off.
    Next morning, logistics mapped out, phone calls made,
    Meet up at the Hilton, more friends,,,GS is good to go and not at all nervous...
    GS dances with teacher...while dancing Swing,,,GS is pulling up his belt as they open out in the figures cause his pants are falling...LOL.
    Mama - has huge giant tears in her eyes, trying not to cry while she watches her son.
    Ahhhh, memory making moments in time.
    Good day for GS, and everyone else. Head home - lots of pics. Post a few to FB.
    Take a 3 hour nap, haven't done THAT in years!
    Watch ice dancing/Olympics - nighty night!
  20. fascination

sun...cook most of the morning...have family over....husband goes out to console friend of ours who is going through a divorce....these are very close much sleep last night