yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

hmmm..monday; teach 3 classes, tues; don't remember but taught a class and took another...wed; teach three and then do hot yoga....today; teach a class..drive to south bend for a family funeral (distant family)...now home to plan the two evening classes

2. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

OK, so I'll be the dummy: what is hot yoga?

3. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

A sequence of 26 poses in Bikram yoga performed over 90 minutes in a room heated to 105 degrees.

4. fascination

well...that is one type of hot yoga.....not every place does bikram...some do hot vinyasa....but, the bottom line is that it is some form of yoga in a room in excess of 90 degrees...usually not exceeding 105...I used to do it a few years back when it was in indy near to me on the days I went there...I am currently driving about half an hour twice a week...and am finding that the mental and physcial benefits are precisely as I remembered them...I feel less sore, more centered....(at least once I have determined that I will not actually die in there) :)

5. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

Ours is a combination of Bikram and vinyasa yoga... Originally hot yoga was Bikram. Either way, it's an awesome way to feel refreshed and centered. My first time I thought I would pass out in the last 10 minutes, but I made it thru. Like you, I have to drive for my hot yoga just like I do for dance, but well worth the effort

6. fascination

we even have some classes which include hot with weights....no way....not interested...keeping my lifting andmy yoga separate here.....

7. Sania

Sania Active Member

I really prefer the hot vinyasa and was very disappointed when my favorite hip studio switched their famous "sweaty yoga" to a standardized sequence instead of the wonderfully creative and varied vinyasa classes I had been attending.

8. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

I think I'm 4 days behind. The one sentence summary is that we actually completed FIVE consecutive days of school this week without any weather disruptions!

TUESDAY:
    Graded essays.
    Worked out.
    Took Child to dance. Finished reading Gay L.A.

WEDNESDAY:
    9:10--ENG 1101. In class debates on "Is college worth the cost?" and "Do college honor codes work?"

10:20--POSTCOLONIAL LITERATURE. The Joys of Motherhood.

Lunch and massive prep for 3rd class of day.

12:40--WALK ON THE WILDE SIDE. Queer London. My first time teaching this history book, which I am therefore re-reading. Discussed classifications/taxonomies of sexual behavior and how they are culturally determined rather than strictly biological.

Office hours. Dealt with some work e-mail.

THURSDAY:
    Grading.

Academic Planning Committee meeting in which frank opinions were expressed.

Drove to Towson.

Double Nik lesson! Omg. Spent the bulk of time on samba technique. If I can get myself APPLYING this consistently, it is going to fundamentally change the look of my samba for the better. Also spent some time on rumba, and concept of counterbalancing weight on certain moves. This would have scared the daylights out of me when I first started taking lessons with Nik, but I'm getting better about having faith in the physics of movement (i.e., centrifugal force WILL work if you let it!) and that I can do this.

Went home for about 5 mins, picked up Child and headed back to campus for...
    Screening of "Inequality for All," Robert Reich's documentary, followed by a live stream discussion with Reich. Very interesting, and I think Child learned from it too.

Stayed up too late watching the Olympics.

FRIDAY--A CRAZY day and on not enough sleep due to staying up too late to watch the Olympics. I made Child go to bed at a reasonable hour, telling her we were recording it and she could watch it the next day, but then stayed up too late myself...a little hypocritical of me.

Prepared a grammar handout and helped Child get ready for her country research presentation.

8:45-9:09--At Child's country research fair. I had promised myself I would leave for work no later than 9:05, but lost track of time. (This is the 4th re-schedule of this event due to snow, and at this point we have missed SO much school that I did not feel I could just cancel class. So I told them we would start 10 minutes late.)

9:23?-10:10--ENG 1101. Okay, 13-16 minutes late. In-class debate on whether the TSA does a good job keeping us safe from terrorism without violating our rights. Grammar review exercise.

10:20--POSTCOLONIAL LITERATURE--1st day of discussing Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's Americanah. We actually had an interesting sub-discussion--based on the opening lines of the novel--about SMELL. One student said she thought that the only place that had no smell would be hell. I argue that I *LOVE* the absence of smell and that it is one of my favorite smells. (Also--and I did not say this, because it's not like I'm any great expert, but I would have thought the Christian concept of hell would have included a sulphurous smell.)

Lunch. Prep.

12:40--WALK ON THE WILDE SIDE. More Queer London. Another interesting discussion, and one thing I am unsure if I handled correctly. A couple students admitted they are more uncomfortable if a gay person tells them about their sex life than a straight person. I indicated that there is a point at which I don't want to hear details either way. But I wonder if I should have pushed them harder to interrogate themselves about why that is. Part of me thought it was pretty brave to admit something like that and that even acknowledging it is a form of internal honesty to be lightly applauded...before breaking down one's remaining homophobia.

Grading. What the what??? Some of the late papers are so weird.

Home.

Figured out our plane flight for a wedding in Atlanta. Figured out a wedding gift from the registry. I was a little worried the registry would be super picked over and there would be nothing left worth giving, but there was a ton, which surprised me. I picked out some items worth about $200. This wedding has been a bit of a problem for me because the invite did not include ChaChaChild's name and it's far away so we have to stay overnight. After much thinking, I made arrangements for her to sleep over at a friend's house. THEN the mom of the groom (my aunt) said more recently it would be fine if she came and they hoped she would. [That thudding sound is me banging my head against the wall.] I *WISH* that had been clear from the outset! But now Child is excited about sleeping over at a friend's house, so I'm inclined to leave well enough alone.

Watched some Olympics replay as a family.

9. fascination

bless you, however, for not just bringing her without asking...I am always one to include kids...but, now that I am staring down cost like 150 a plate....well.....I can see how some folks might think that it is simply best not to have the young ones attend....but my empathy that they simply weren't clear...we have a LARGE extended family...some of whom simply cannot be invited...my plan is to alter the invite such that the elders of that branch of the clan will be told that they can have up to 6 come...and I am going to let THEM slug it out...but at least the number is unambiguous

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  10. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Offer the happy couple $5K to elope. Meh, make it 10.

samina likes this.
  11. fascination

I wouldn't miss this one for the world

ChaChaMama likes this.
  12. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

I kick it old school and assume that if you are inviting children, the invitation envelope will read like this:

Mr. and Mrs. ChaChaMama
    Miss Petite ChaCha

If it just says "Mr. and Mrs.," then I was taught that is a polite way of signalling children are not invited.

A very generous cousin of mine marrying a man with children from a previous marriage got a magician/balloon animal guy to entertain the kids during the cocktail hour and had a table where the kids were brought kid friendly food! Obviously that is pretty much never going to happen again, but WOW! (We had a heck of a time getting to that wedding due to horrible traffic, but it was an impressive affair.)

There now seems to be an unstated rule that if guests are traveling more than X miles, they get invited to the rehearsal dinner.

Here's my 2 cents: I don't want to go to the rehearsal dinner. That means I have to leave work a day early to get to the wedding. So you can save the money you would have spent on food/drink for me and my spouse for Friday night. Given that I am traveling more than X miles, however, I would love to take my child. This goes double if this is a FAMILY wedding and therefore all of the people I would normally leave her with (grandma and grandpa, aunt and uncle) are also flying to this wedding!!! (And the other side of the family lives in New Mexico and Washington state and are dealing with fairly serious health issues, so can't exactly ask those grandparents to pop over to enjoy a weekend with CCC.)

I do get the high per person charge, thing, though...and it is a shame that more catering establishments don't offer a reduced price for young ones. CCC pretty much would eat stuff off the vegetable tray, the cheese tray, and dessert at a typical wedding if left to her own devices, and would drink water, orange juice, or lemonade if they have it...so yeah, she's not exactly going to get the bride and groom's money's worth. But it's a nice gesture to invite family.

13. fascination

I agree on all counts....

14. fascination

we will have children's activities...as to rehearsal...i feel like Ican't even commit to that as that is often the job of the groom's family to host that so I wouldn't even begin to be able to commit to that...I kind of feel like the Museum and theopen exhibits and the meal will be sufficient gift and that anyone who finds it insufficient really doesn't need to come ...whether it's two miles or 2000...we will help some close friends who are in a pinch...everyone else will have to decide whether or not it is worth it...shrug...frankly, I would rather have the kids than a few of the adults :)

15. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Worked on several fronts for DH business and exit strategy.
    Talked all day, when he wanted to about his permanent - never to revisit our business - retirement.
    Signed us up for Volunteers In Parks (national park service), really hope to get picked up by Yellowstone.
    Making plans to assist his big brother with their move to Emmett Idaho from So. Calif.
    It was a busy day of planning. WOO. exhausted.

16. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

Woke up early, then debated getting out of bed (so cold in my room!) for about an hour.
    Shower, breakfast (mmmm bacon, but just bacon because I was all out of food)
    Take reclining to recycling center, go food shopping
    Big Sunday lunch with parents
    Try to help my mom set up her fitbit, but she's already lost it.... (we bought it on Friday!)
    Make spring break plans with the family
    Go home and study- organic chem midterm today, hopefully shouldn't be too bad
    Eat dinner - thai
    Study
    Clean apartment
    Study some more
    Bedtime! Watch half an episode of Firefly in bed, sleep early because I had an early appointment, which means getting up at 5:45 (ugh).

17. fascination

sat...staff meeting at 7, teach at 8 and 9...hot yoga at 11, lunch and nap, fundraiser in evening
    sun...drive drive drive, lessons, happiness, drive drive drive...sore throat, dinner, orange juice and vodka, bengay...and out

18. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

As memory serves, last Tuesday: Gyro, Lesson, theater
    Wednesday:
    Last lesson before competition
    To work; tough class, too much time, took forever to set up and clean up

Thursday:
    Drive to NYC to hotel
    Arrive in time to get coffee before working; at this comp, the ballroom is 2 stories and there's a balcony, where the officials do their stuff; I have to climb that staircase probably 150 times a day; glad to have strong legs
    Work comp for most of the day
    Theater: Glass Menagerie

Friday:
    Work competition off and on until 3:30; some dance buddies are dancing, always fun
    Drive to hairdresser, or try to; traffic is so totally fubared that I turn around and go back to hotel; meet someone who offers to do my hair and makeup, and set a time
    Dinner with dance buddies
    Drinks with Teach (Mr. Unsweetened Iced Tea)
    Z early; kind of surprising for a comp weekend

19. j_alexandra

Saturday:
    Wake, search for coffee and egg white omelette; get them eventually
    Hair and makeup; some disagreement between me and Makeup about my eyes, but we work it out
    Am edgy and nervous, Teach is a little displeased, but manages not to show it, even when a heel tip comes off my shoe -- not a heel cover, but the actual tip of the heel -- he gets to whack something, this relaxes him, which relaxes me, we go out and have fun
    First set of heats; I take one dance from the local Ballroom Goddess, so this warms my heart all to hell and gone
    Second set of heats; another competitor is wearing one of my gowns, I get a kick out of this, even when she places ahead of me in all heats
    Long break; try to sleep, try to eat
    Makeup and hair tune-up before championship
    Dancing in the evening is just plain different
    Awards; remove eyelashes immediately following awards; change into civilian clothes and hit the bar, where I remain for the rest of the evening, eventually drinking with both the women who placed ahead of me today; I get a HUGE kick out of this
    Z

fascination likes this.
  20. j_alexandra

Yesterday:

Sleep in, by my standards; 7!
    Long slow wakeup and packing and stuff
    Coffee and pastry in Greenwich Village, before...
    Theater matinee, a piece I liked a lot
    Home
    Unpack a bit
    Din
    Z