yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't miss this one for the world
    ChaChaMama likes this.
  2. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

I kick it old school and assume that if you are inviting children, the invitation envelope will read like this:

Mr. and Mrs. ChaChaMama
    Miss Petite ChaCha

If it just says "Mr. and Mrs.," then I was taught that is a polite way of signalling children are not invited.

A very generous cousin of mine marrying a man with children from a previous marriage got a magician/balloon animal guy to entertain the kids during the cocktail hour and had a table where the kids were brought kid friendly food! Obviously that is pretty much never going to happen again, but WOW! (We had a heck of a time getting to that wedding due to horrible traffic, but it was an impressive affair.)

There now seems to be an unstated rule that if guests are traveling more than X miles, they get invited to the rehearsal dinner.

Here's my 2 cents: I don't want to go to the rehearsal dinner. That means I have to leave work a day early to get to the wedding. So you can save the money you would have spent on food/drink for me and my spouse for Friday night. Given that I am traveling more than X miles, however, I would love to take my child. This goes double if this is a FAMILY wedding and therefore all of the people I would normally leave her with (grandma and grandpa, aunt and uncle) are also flying to this wedding!!! (And the other side of the family lives in New Mexico and Washington state and are dealing with fairly serious health issues, so can't exactly ask those grandparents to pop over to enjoy a weekend with CCC.)

I do get the high per person charge, thing, though...and it is a shame that more catering establishments don't offer a reduced price for young ones. CCC pretty much would eat stuff off the vegetable tray, the cheese tray, and dessert at a typical wedding if left to her own devices, and would drink water, orange juice, or lemonade if they have yeah, she's not exactly going to get the bride and groom's money's worth. But it's a nice gesture to invite family.
  3. fascination

I agree on all counts....
  4. fascination

we will have children's to rehearsal...i feel like Ican't even commit to that as that is often the job of the groom's family to host that so I wouldn't even begin to be able to commit to that...I kind of feel like the Museum and theopen exhibits and the meal will be sufficient gift and that anyone who finds it insufficient really doesn't need to come ...whether it's two miles or 2000...we will help some close friends who are in a pinch...everyone else will have to decide whether or not it is worth it...shrug...frankly, I would rather have the kids than a few of the adults :)
  5. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Worked on several fronts for DH business and exit strategy.
    Talked all day, when he wanted to about his permanent - never to revisit our business - retirement.
    Signed us up for Volunteers In Parks (national park service), really hope to get picked up by Yellowstone.
    Making plans to assist his big brother with their move to Emmett Idaho from So. Calif.
    It was a busy day of planning. WOO. exhausted.
  6. llamasarefuzzy

llamasarefuzzy Well-Known Member

Woke up early, then debated getting out of bed (so cold in my room!) for about an hour.
    Shower, breakfast (mmmm bacon, but just bacon because I was all out of food)
    Take reclining to recycling center, go food shopping
    Big Sunday lunch with parents
    Try to help my mom set up her fitbit, but she's already lost it.... (we bought it on Friday!)
    Make spring break plans with the family
    Go home and study- organic chem midterm today, hopefully shouldn't be too bad
    Eat dinner - thai
    Clean apartment
    Study some more
    Bedtime! Watch half an episode of Firefly in bed, sleep early because I had an early appointment, which means getting up at 5:45 (ugh).
  7. fascination

sat...staff meeting at 7, teach at 8 and yoga at 11, lunch and nap, fundraiser in evening drive drive, lessons, happiness, drive drive drive...sore throat, dinner, orange juice and vodka, bengay...and out
  8. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

As memory serves, last Tuesday: Gyro, Lesson, theater
    Last lesson before competition
    To work; tough class, too much time, took forever to set up and clean up

Drive to NYC to hotel
    Arrive in time to get coffee before working; at this comp, the ballroom is 2 stories and there's a balcony, where the officials do their stuff; I have to climb that staircase probably 150 times a day; glad to have strong legs
    Work comp for most of the day
    Theater: Glass Menagerie

Work competition off and on until 3:30; some dance buddies are dancing, always fun
    Drive to hairdresser, or try to; traffic is so totally fubared that I turn around and go back to hotel; meet someone who offers to do my hair and makeup, and set a time
    Dinner with dance buddies
    Drinks with Teach (Mr. Unsweetened Iced Tea)
    Z early; kind of surprising for a comp weekend
  9. j_alexandra

Wake, search for coffee and egg white omelette; get them eventually
    Hair and makeup; some disagreement between me and Makeup about my eyes, but we work it out
    Am edgy and nervous, Teach is a little displeased, but manages not to show it, even when a heel tip comes off my shoe -- not a heel cover, but the actual tip of the heel -- he gets to whack something, this relaxes him, which relaxes me, we go out and have fun
    First set of heats; I take one dance from the local Ballroom Goddess, so this warms my heart all to hell and gone
    Second set of heats; another competitor is wearing one of my gowns, I get a kick out of this, even when she places ahead of me in all heats
    Long break; try to sleep, try to eat
    Makeup and hair tune-up before championship
    Dancing in the evening is just plain different
    Awards; remove eyelashes immediately following awards; change into civilian clothes and hit the bar, where I remain for the rest of the evening, eventually drinking with both the women who placed ahead of me today; I get a HUGE kick out of this
    fascination likes this.
  10. j_alexandra

Sleep in, by my standards; 7!
    Long slow wakeup and packing and stuff
    Coffee and pastry in Greenwich Village, before...
    Theater matinee, a piece I liked a lot
    Unpack a bit
  11. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

No excuse is needed for bacon.
    llamasarefuzzy likes this.
  12. fascination

slow moving yesterday, flirting with some sort of bills, do laundry, pet care, spend some time hunting for lost credit card and taking online ceus for upcoming classes I will be teaching....adding another Y to my list of work places....lunch with friends...practice some new choreo...teach spin and take another class after that...home to make playlists and chat w/dh briefly...out cold feeling pretty sick
  13. fascination

wed...teach three classes....home to do dishes, pet care, and take some ceus on yoga, then engaged with bestie on way home....veal milanese w/capers and wine w/dh....lovely day
  14. fascination

drive to Evanston, takedtr, birthday shopping for jeans then to dinner at "native foods" (vegan fare)...then to bridal salon for first little dip into dress home and teach two entirely exhausted...but it was a lovely day
    j_alexandra and llamasarefuzzy like this.
  15. llamasarefuzzy

Mmmmm... Native foods is great... and I'm not even vegetarian!
  16. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

Saturday--Reasonably productive day. Grocery shopped. Got 12 Blackboard assignments read. Put in a long workout on the treadmill. That night, watched some Olympics.

Sunday--Had hoped we might be able to use this--my last free weekend day for awhile--to do something super fun, but Child has a bit of a cold and low-grade fever, so we had a chill out day at home. I started reading Chang-Rae Lee's Under a Full Sea.

Monday--Work, including 9 ENG 1101 appts (though one person cancelled and one was a no-show, so really 7).
    Postcolonial Literature--Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's Americanah.
    Walk on the Wilde Side--Last day of discussion of Queer London.

9-10--Summer advisement and registration meeting.
    10-11:30--First Year Team meeting.
    11:30-12:15--Math External Review meeting.
    12:30-1:30--Music External Review meeting.
    --Prep time.--
    2:40-4:10--Guest lectured on dystopias in a class on The Hunger Games.

Wednesday--6 more ENG 1101 appts. (One no-show.)
    Postcolonial Literature--Americanah.
    Walk on the Wilde Side--E.M. Forster's Maurice.
    Took Child to dance. Immediately upon arriving, Child realizes that since she had to stay home from dance Monday and Tuesday, she hasn't been to the studio since Saturday...which means her dance bag is in her Dad's car. I roundtrip and get it for her, because I am nice.

Thursday--Spend the morning knocking many items off the seemingly never ending to-do list.
    2-3:30--Double lesson w/Nik.
    PM--6 miles on tm.
  17. fascination

it is hit and miss for me...some of that gelatinous, gluten based fake meat makes me want to hurl....but some of it is simply wonderful
  18. llamasarefuzzy

True. I generally try to stay away from vegetables masquerading as meat and it works out
    Dancing Irishman likes this.
  19. j_alexandra

Brain dead post-competition day
    Group class
    Dinner in favorite restaurant
    Home; z

Lesson; long conversation, some dancing
    Gynecologist for annual visit
    Home; more brain dead time
  20. j_alexandra

Tutoring; what is it about teenagers and Lord of the Flies?
    Home; z