yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Saturday:

Check out early; drive home; pick up ingredients
    Bake blueberry pie for family lunch
    Out of town family arrives; lunch is very pleasant
    Total crash and burn after they leave

2. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

Saturday:
    Leave for NYC by 9 AM. Catch 12:12 train in NJ. Arrive at 1:35.
    Check in to Affinia Manhattan.
    Pick up a quick bite at Europa Cafe next door.
    Get together with BFF!
    Go to The Met. Tour the Egyptian collection and 19th-20th century European Painting.
    Dinner at Niles. [My food was only okay, but I think Husband quite enjoyed his steak.]

Sunday:
    Ripley's in the AM. (Husband was not enthusiastic, but Child was dying to go, and I pointed out she had agreed to do The Met first. We have within the last 2 years visited the Key West, Baltimore, and NYC locations.)
    Lunch at Maoz. Child must have her falafel!!! This is a very good place for us.

"Waiting for Godot" starring Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart! Really enjoyed the show, though I was surprised by some of the interpretive choices. This was a far more comic and lighthearted version of the show than the last version I saw (more locally to me), especially in Act I. Toward the end of Act II, Patrick Stewart's character brought out more of the existential angst of worrying that your life is so inconsequential that you don't even know what happened yesterday, or whether by tomorrow you will remember today.

Afterwards, we waited at the theater door to try to get autographs, as Child is a huge Star Trek fan and was very excited at the prospect of Patrick Stewart. It was a HUGE crush of people, some of them friendly, some of them quite aggressive. I figured Child--who was the only child in the crowd and is not a tall person--had almost no chance of getting any autographs because even though we had exited the theater as fast as we could, we were not in the front row. I'd say we were in about the 3rd. I managed to get Ian McKellen, who was VERY generous with his time and signed for a fair percentage of the crowd. Child emerged from the crowd at the end. (We got separated.) She had gotten ALL THREE of the actors who were signing: Billy Crudup, Ian McKellen, and Patrick Stewart. She charmed people and they passed her program forward for her. :) Good job, kid!

Rushed to reclaim our suitcases and then hopped on the 7:14 train. Ate cupcakes from Crumbs that we had purchased earlier on the train ride home.

Drive back to MD, dying of tiredness but we made it!

j_alexandra and fascination like this.
  3. coanamilove

coanamilove Member

Spent most of yesterday in bed.

Then went to a Chinese buffet in the evening.

4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

brief synopsis of the past week and a half:

wed 12th...work in the am....huge snow storm...aunt finally makes it here...we drive to lincoln, drink bad margaritas, have appetizers, and go to bed at a residence inn

thurs 13.... drive to ogden utah...eat at snooty place where aunt's requests for a frozen margarita and ground beef tacos are not especially appreciated....I try to navigate that deftly....discover that aunt likes to get up early and loudly....rut roh

fri 14th ....make it to portland and actually get a few hours with cutest baby....color me thrilled....and he recognizes me...olive garden for dinner because it is nearby and it is late and we are exhausted...I take the sofa bed because son is too big for it and aunt is too old for it......not ideal as it leaves me with complicated bathroom options, but I will survive....

sat....play with baby all day....eat at seafood place where a bunch of the trail blazers eat...see a few local athletes... appreciate the view :)...food was pretty good too

sunday....play with baby.....do food carts downtown and powell's book store....spend much

monday....more time with cutest one learning letters and playing with water and going to park....I don't have the words for how precious the time is....we go to gymboree and pf changs....service is lacking....return to hotel exhausted ...they go out for green beer and fro yo...I enjoy some solitude

tues...more play with things from world's largest easter basket...look, I don't get there very often...at hotel for night of taco fest, son's home made pizza and reality tv....we over spice things

wed....more play and we go to mc mennamons... a school turned into a restuarant and several other lounges, theatres etc.....and also to Hawthorne St. because we need aunt jeanne to understand how weird Portland really is :)....we also make her drink kombucha....she thinks we are weird

thurs....really hit my stride with cutest one and we play outside alone...yay....he relies upon me and enjoys me....we run and run and run.... then play ring around the rosy and fall down many many times...thurs eve we do gnocchi bolognese and other things Italian in the room and watch "frozen"....

fri....play....last day....sad...hit nearby mexican place....thank god the margaritas are good...

sat...take son to airport, buy souveniers at the "all things oregon" store.....drive to burley idaho....alsmost have to open a can of whoopass over a reservation snafu but it works okay because they end up giving us separate rooms for the price of one....first decent chunk of alone time in a week....consequently, I stay up too late which leaves me tired for a hard next day of driving...but the dinner in that town, mex again, was superb....note to self...try to stay there again...pollo mole was phenomenal

sunday....drive from burley to north platte....crappy service at ruby tuesdays....have to actually walk my margarita back to the bar and have it re-made....up again too late....

monday....drive home...700 miles...previous day was 800......hug aunt and thank her for her support of my son and I ...and for being with us this week....share the trip details with dh and dtr...alone time with dh......out cold....

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
    3wishes, j_alexandra and ChaChaMama like this.
  5. j_alexandra

Sunday:

Coffee with an old friend from high school, who now spends half the year at his b&b in Italy; uh, maybe I need to think about this as a career option, b/c it sounds splendid
    Cooking and reading and a nice slow day
    A friend has lost her job, well, OK, she got fired; we go out to dinner to commiserate
    Reading, Z

6. j_alexandra

Yesterday:

Lesson, in which Teach and I talk about recent competition, and also dance a bit; much work on technique
    To House of Ex, to pack and ship
    Home; nap excessively
    Group class; Viennese Waltz, in which Teach basically gives the class the patterns he and I have been doing recently; it's interesting to watch other people learning these movements, also to find out what the leader's part is, b/c there are too few men and I spend some time leading, very educational
    Home, read, Z

7. fascination

today...sleep....brief visit with "adopted" dtr whose parents are divorcing....very difficult....pretty much spend rest of day decompressing and apologizing to my cats for my unexcused absence...teach spin...bed soon

j_alexandra likes this.
  8. j_alexandra

Might as well do today, b/c won't be awake long:

Gyro; fantastically useful
    Lesson, in which Teach pumps up the stakes and Sh*t Gets Real
    Home, cook cook cook, so I have food for days; I have not been able to eat one of my staple meals (brown rice/grilled chicken/spinach/spices) for months, ever since I got food poisoning shortly after eating this meal and puked a LOT, but I decide it's time to stink it up and get used to eating it again b/c it's healthy, easy, useful, simple, and did I say healthy? it's just that, once you've vomited a meal multiple times, it's difficult to eat it *ever again*
    which is why tequila and I are not friends, but I digress
    To theater, to see Aladdin, which is *MUCH* better than I expect
    Home, nosh, Z soon

FancyFeet likes this.
  9. j_alexandra

I get a kick out of the new software changing "sh*t" to "so what" but edited in the interest of clarity

10. j_alexandra

deleted duplicate post

11. j_alexandra

cats happy to see you, Fasc?

12. fascination

they snubbed me last night a bit...but today the boy was underfoot and up my crevice

13. j_alexandra

tmi! tmi! ;-)

14. fascination

wed...teach 3 classes....go home and sleep....plan my first ever yoga class....it goes amazingly well...to bed early

thurs....teach blast in the morning...clean cat litter boxes, do laundry, catch up with friends and co-workers...teach spin and 50/50......bed soon as tomo will be busy

15. ChaChaMama

MONDAY--First day back to school after break.
    ENG 1101--Pep talk, then pick topics for the shorter research paper.
    POSTCOLONIAL--Pep talk, then Disgrace.
    Lunch break, deal with email.
    WALK ON THE WILDE SIDE--Christopher Isherwood's A Single Man.
    Office hours. A couple advisees come by.

Take Child to dance.
    Went to bed a little early.

TUESDAY--Office hours, Meeting #1, Meeting #2. Get tasks done stemming from Meeting #1. Write up minutes from Meeting #2 as I am the secretary for that committee. A little downtime. Meeting #3. Note that no students were harmed or even talked to after 10 AM. To repeat: I was at work from 8:30-5:30 and I saw about one student this whole day.
    Took Child to dance. Read while she was in class.

WEDNESDAY--
    ENG 1101--Library instructional session with new instructional librarian.
    POSTCOLONIAL--Bengal Nights, Day 1.
    Lunch, work on library selections.
    WALK ON WILDE SIDE--A Single Man.
    Take Child to dance. Come home and work out while she is in class.

THURSDAY--Dentist appt (Again! I've got a frequent flier card there. No, this time it was just to get an impression taken for a new nightguard). Nik double lesson @ my work! (I reserved the dance studio.) Very fun.
    Home to discover that Child has been waiting to start her science fair project until I get home because there is some belief that I would not want to "miss out" on the fun.

16. ChaChaMama

FRIDAY--ENG 1101--Work day, open office hours.
    POSTCOLONIAL--Bengal Nights discussion. This goes GREAT. I don't know when I have laughed so hard.
    A student handed in a paper early! (It's not due until Wednesday.) I grade it to get a jump start on next week and it is fantastic.
    WALK ON THE WILDE SIDE--Watch first half of the movie of "A Single Man." Discuss with some students in the hall afterwards.
    Do various needful work tasks until about 4:30, then head out.
    Home for awhile, then...

***USA DANCE NATIONALS, NIGHT 1!!!!*** Includes Youth 10 Dance, Senior I Standard, and Adult Latin. Amazing!!!

SATURDAY--Another 6 miles on treadmill.
    ***USA DANCE NATIONALS, DAY/NIGHT 2!!!!***

And...I buy a dress! I almost never buy new dance dresses. Let's put it this way: if you include both am and pro-am, I have been dancing 15 years. Admittedly, syllabus am you don't necessarily need a costume, but I have been doing pro-am for about 6 years. This is only the third dress I've owned. It spoke to me.

I ate some food court Chinese which was worse than I thought it would be (and much more food than I normally eat). I should have gone to the Japanese place or maybe the Indian place. (There was also a McD's, but I haven't eaten at McD's in 5 years and wasn't willing to risk it.) I was aware that I was sitting in a part of the food court away from the main traffic, but it had the best view of the Inner Harbor. A person came up and asked me if I could help her have some to eat and I gave her the rest of my meal.

Highlights of the evening included Youth Latin (my favorite), Adult Standard, Adult Rhythm, a fun salsa event that anyone could enter...and which won by Senior competitors!!!

Drove home and to bed at 1 AM for the second night in a row. Whoops!

17. ChaChaMama

SUNDAY:
    Showed off my new latin dress to my family.
    Did some laundry and other needful tasks.

2-6--Hip-Hop Choreography at Child's dance studio for a parent number at the recital.
    I thought they would go with some old skool songs, but the music is a medly of WeAreToonz's "Drop That Nae Nae" and Jason DeRulo's "Talk Dirty."
    It snowed rather dramatically while we were there, a wet, heavy, slushy snow.
    The choreographers are from California.
    Driving home was not pretty and I passed three cars which had slipped off the road. Yikes. It was NOT supposed to snow!!!
    Decided going back to USA Dance Nationals was not going to happen and had a relaxing night at home.

MONDAY:
    9, 9:20, 9:40--ENG 1101 appts. 9:20 was a no show. 9:40 had a death in the family and was unprepared.
    10:20--Discussion of Maitreyi Devi's It Does Not Die.
    Lunch break and reading.
    12:40--"A Single Man" movie and then discussion of its representational choices.
    2, 2:20, 2:40, 3, 3:20, 3:40--Appointments. Dispensed a lot of "tough love" to students at risk of failing.

Home. Food. Child to dance.
    At the studio, some of the parents present ran a (not full cast) version of the parent dance. The kids were absolutely hysterical and embarrassed. (Some of the moms twerk during the dance, and a couple crawl on the floor and "panther.") Mission accomplished!

Finished reading Teju Cole's Every Day Is for the Thief. I read the last section out loud to my husband, who said it was nice to hear some quality prose after grading so many student essays. :)

Got the news here on D-F that Slavik and Karina are apparently performing at Dance Legends. What?!? Meagan says its not April Fools.

18. fascination

fri...teach two classes, take dtr to snooty bridal place on Rush Street where apparently 7 thousand as a preferred limit for a dress makes us trash....wasn't at all thrilled with the demeanor in there...but enjoyed lovely Mexican dinner with dtr and her friend in Evanston...

sat and sun...lesson days...8 lessons in smooth....able to do a bunch since I was gone so long...felt so good...enjoying the focus on amount of connection when changing from varying positions

monday...teach one class (new schedule)...busy days will now be T and TH...spend rest of day trying to bring my house and yard up from below the minimum exceptable level of cleanliness....scrubbed all floors and raked back yard....worked on afghan for dtr....paid bills....cooked...grocery shopped....loved on the dog....laundry and dishes......enjoy quiet time with dh

19. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

ok, let's mush this all together.
    Convince DH to watch American Hustle with me for $5 bucks on Time Warner Cable. I LOVED the con game, he liked the premise - not so much Bradley Cooper.
    Watched other Oscar nominated movies on cable this week as well. Really - cheap like $4.50 on cable vs $35 for us to go to movie theater and such.
    Watch out for DH on all of these crazy heart drugs - counting down to April 16 for his Cardio Conversion procedure.
    Take DH out of house, drive to Victorville to visit step-dad - who also cannot breath well...the two of them made quite the pair - good visit overall.
    EARTHQUAKE - arrghhhhhhh, a jolt, then swaying/rolling...our fireplace/chimney goaned - we stared at each other (serious earthquake experience here over the years)...crap, really? under the table we go.
    Check house next day in daylight, still feeling after shocks.
    Collect our 3rd car back from employee - prepare somewhat to drive it to Austin and drop off for daughter.
    Make plans to start dancing again, limited, until DH is 100% up on his own.
    Started hiking hills - woweeee.
    Dad and step mom stop by on way to Dodger/Angel game. Lovely visit - talk was non-stop.
    Make note to self - get outside and start gardening - uh oh....RAIN, again...cancel that!

20. fascination

teach gentle stretch, y get moving and senior strength, also look into when future staff trainings might occur...and deal with being the target of a scorned member....home to deal with ridiculous proposals for decor at dtr's wedding....no, I will not rent a couch for 2 thousand dollars...I bought the one I am sitting on for 500....plan pilates, core, yoga class....it goes well...take that critics...attend a toning class then teach spin....home to more taco leftovers and some cheap moscato....frasier re-runs