yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

cats happy to see you, Fasc?

2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

they snubbed me last night a bit...but today the boy was underfoot and up my crevice

3. j_alexandra

tmi! tmi! ;-)

4. fascination

wed...teach 3 classes....go home and sleep....plan my first ever yoga class....it goes amazingly well...to bed early

thurs....teach blast in the morning...clean cat litter boxes, do laundry, catch up with friends and co-workers...teach spin and 50/50......bed soon as tomo will be busy

5. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

MONDAY--First day back to school after break.
    ENG 1101--Pep talk, then pick topics for the shorter research paper.
    POSTCOLONIAL--Pep talk, then Disgrace.
    Lunch break, deal with email.
    WALK ON THE WILDE SIDE--Christopher Isherwood's A Single Man.
    Office hours. A couple advisees come by.

Take Child to dance.
    Went to bed a little early.

TUESDAY--Office hours, Meeting #1, Meeting #2. Get tasks done stemming from Meeting #1. Write up minutes from Meeting #2 as I am the secretary for that committee. A little downtime. Meeting #3. Note that no students were harmed or even talked to after 10 AM. To repeat: I was at work from 8:30-5:30 and I saw about one student this whole day.
    Took Child to dance. Read while she was in class.

WEDNESDAY--
    ENG 1101--Library instructional session with new instructional librarian.
    POSTCOLONIAL--Bengal Nights, Day 1.
    Lunch, work on library selections.
    WALK ON WILDE SIDE--A Single Man.
    Take Child to dance. Come home and work out while she is in class.

THURSDAY--Dentist appt (Again! I've got a frequent flier card there. No, this time it was just to get an impression taken for a new nightguard). Nik double lesson @ my work! (I reserved the dance studio.) Very fun.
    Home to discover that Child has been waiting to start her science fair project until I get home because there is some belief that I would not want to "miss out" on the fun.

6. ChaChaMama

FRIDAY--ENG 1101--Work day, open office hours.
    POSTCOLONIAL--Bengal Nights discussion. This goes GREAT. I don't know when I have laughed so hard.
    A student handed in a paper early! (It's not due until Wednesday.) I grade it to get a jump start on next week and it is fantastic.
    WALK ON THE WILDE SIDE--Watch first half of the movie of "A Single Man." Discuss with some students in the hall afterwards.
    Do various needful work tasks until about 4:30, then head out.
    Home for awhile, then...

***USA DANCE NATIONALS, NIGHT 1!!!!*** Includes Youth 10 Dance, Senior I Standard, and Adult Latin. Amazing!!!

SATURDAY--Another 6 miles on treadmill.
    ***USA DANCE NATIONALS, DAY/NIGHT 2!!!!***

And...I buy a dress! I almost never buy new dance dresses. Let's put it this way: if you include both am and pro-am, I have been dancing 15 years. Admittedly, syllabus am you don't necessarily need a costume, but I have been doing pro-am for about 6 years. This is only the third dress I've owned. It spoke to me.

I ate some food court Chinese which was worse than I thought it would be (and much more food than I normally eat). I should have gone to the Japanese place or maybe the Indian place. (There was also a McD's, but I haven't eaten at McD's in 5 years and wasn't willing to risk it.) I was aware that I was sitting in a part of the food court away from the main traffic, but it had the best view of the Inner Harbor. A person came up and asked me if I could help her have some to eat and I gave her the rest of my meal.

Highlights of the evening included Youth Latin (my favorite), Adult Standard, Adult Rhythm, a fun salsa event that anyone could enter...and which won by Senior competitors!!!

Drove home and to bed at 1 AM for the second night in a row. Whoops!

7. ChaChaMama

SUNDAY:
    Showed off my new latin dress to my family.
    Did some laundry and other needful tasks.

2-6--Hip-Hop Choreography at Child's dance studio for a parent number at the recital.
    I thought they would go with some old skool songs, but the music is a medly of WeAreToonz's "Drop That Nae Nae" and Jason DeRulo's "Talk Dirty."
    It snowed rather dramatically while we were there, a wet, heavy, slushy snow.
    The choreographers are from California.
    Driving home was not pretty and I passed three cars which had slipped off the road. Yikes. It was NOT supposed to snow!!!
    Decided going back to USA Dance Nationals was not going to happen and had a relaxing night at home.

MONDAY:
    9, 9:20, 9:40--ENG 1101 appts. 9:20 was a no show. 9:40 had a death in the family and was unprepared.
    10:20--Discussion of Maitreyi Devi's It Does Not Die.
    Lunch break and reading.
    12:40--"A Single Man" movie and then discussion of its representational choices.
    2, 2:20, 2:40, 3, 3:20, 3:40--Appointments. Dispensed a lot of "tough love" to students at risk of failing.

Home. Food. Child to dance.
    At the studio, some of the parents present ran a (not full cast) version of the parent dance. The kids were absolutely hysterical and embarrassed. (Some of the moms twerk during the dance, and a couple crawl on the floor and "panther.") Mission accomplished!

Finished reading Teju Cole's Every Day Is for the Thief. I read the last section out loud to my husband, who said it was nice to hear some quality prose after grading so many student essays. :)

Got the news here on D-F that Slavik and Karina are apparently performing at Dance Legends. What?!? Meagan says its not April Fools.

8. fascination

fri...teach two classes, take dtr to snooty bridal place on Rush Street where apparently 7 thousand as a preferred limit for a dress makes us trash....wasn't at all thrilled with the demeanor in there...but enjoyed lovely Mexican dinner with dtr and her friend in Evanston...

sat and sun...lesson days...8 lessons in smooth....able to do a bunch since I was gone so long...felt so good...enjoying the focus on amount of connection when changing from varying positions

monday...teach one class (new schedule)...busy days will now be T and TH...spend rest of day trying to bring my house and yard up from below the minimum exceptable level of cleanliness....scrubbed all floors and raked back yard....worked on afghan for dtr....paid bills....cooked...grocery shopped....loved on the dog....laundry and dishes......enjoy quiet time with dh

9. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

ok, let's mush this all together.
    Convince DH to watch American Hustle with me for $5 bucks on Time Warner Cable. I LOVED the con game, he liked the premise - not so much Bradley Cooper.
    Watched other Oscar nominated movies on cable this week as well. Really - cheap like $4.50 on cable vs $35 for us to go to movie theater and such.
    Watch out for DH on all of these crazy heart drugs - counting down to April 16 for his Cardio Conversion procedure.
    Take DH out of house, drive to Victorville to visit step-dad - who also cannot breath well...the two of them made quite the pair - good visit overall.
    EARTHQUAKE - arrghhhhhhh, a jolt, then swaying/rolling...our fireplace/chimney goaned - we stared at each other (serious earthquake experience here over the years)...crap, really? under the table we go.
    Check house next day in daylight, still feeling after shocks.
    Collect our 3rd car back from employee - prepare somewhat to drive it to Austin and drop off for daughter.
    Make plans to start dancing again, limited, until DH is 100% up on his own.
    Started hiking hills - woweeee.
    Dad and step mom stop by on way to Dodger/Angel game. Lovely visit - talk was non-stop.
    Make note to self - get outside and start gardening - uh oh....RAIN, again...cancel that!

10. fascination

teach gentle stretch, y get moving and senior strength, also look into when future staff trainings might occur...and deal with being the target of a scorned member....home to deal with ridiculous proposals for decor at dtr's wedding....no, I will not rent a couch for 2 thousand dollars...I bought the one I am sitting on for 500....plan pilates, core, yoga class....it goes well...take that critics...attend a toning class then teach spin....home to more taco leftovers and some cheap moscato....frasier re-runs

11. fascination

teach step....numbers are still low for that class so we may need to switch it...home to a quiet day...anniversary of my mom's death and some other sorts of less than positive energies directed toward me overshadowing the day...just trying to take it gently...go to hot yoga....now sipping wine and likely going to bed soon

12. ChaChaMama

fascination--I hope you were able to find a space for peaceful reflection on that difficult anniversary.

3wishes--I hope your husband feels better each day!
    And yikes about that earthquake! Glad you guys and your property are okay.
    I lived in California for 6 years (near Berkeley--first in Oakland, then El Cerrito), and my first earthquake was the 1989 Loma Prieta Quake (World Series quake)...which was quite a scare for this east coast girl! I was taking a shower when it hit, which was far from ideal (slippery!) When I called my dad on the east coast, I told him there had been an earthquake and the ground had shook for about 2 minutes. It turned out to be 15 seconds. I think I was so terrified that my heart beat enough times for it to have been 2 minutes!

TUESDAY:
    9, 9:20--ENG 1101 meeting.
    Did needful tasks related to FY team.
    11:25--FACULTY MEETING in which there is much tense debate over changes to the faculty handbook. And we haven't even gotten to the meaty parts of the proposed changes yet. Oh.My.Lord.

1--Leave for Towson.
    2--Double Nik lesson! Focus on paso and jive.

Take Child to dance. She does ballet. I write in diary.

WEDNESDAY:
    9, 9:20, 9:40--ENG 1101 appts. One girl is sick, though, and sends an e-mail saying she can't come.
    10:20--POSTCOLONIAL LITERATURE. Great discussion of It Does Not Die. Papers handed in.
    Lunch break. Grade a paper.
    12:40--WALK ON THE WILDE SIDE. Another great discussion, this time of Hanif Kureishi's The Buddha of Suburbia.
    1:45, 2:05, 2:25--ENG 1101 appts. Last person no-shows.
    Quick trip to the gas station, as running on fumes.
    Pick up Child.

Child goes into virtual meltdown because the shorts she wants to wear to dance are not in drawer. There are at least three pairs of clean dance shorts, plus dance leggings, but not the ones she wants to wear. Words are exchanged that are NOT "I love you Mom and know that you work really hard, so don't worry about it. I will be happy to wear any of the five freshly laundered alternatives you are presenting me with here." I tell her she is not even going to dance if she doesn't shape up.
    We get to dance and they have the mean substitute teacher for their 4:30-6 rehearsal. Good luck with that, kid.

Home and spend some quality time with Husband.
    Then work out. 6 miles on treadmill. Have to make sure I'm in good shape for that comp right around the corner! (Also make the decision that reading that thread on AED in the ballroom has made me paranoid. I felt a tiny twinge in my chest about 35 minutes in to my workout and was like "What if I am having a heart attack?!" Get a grip, Self.)

Pick up Child from dance.
    Home. Put Child to bed.
    Write in diary a bit.

13. j_alexandra

Sigh. Lapsing again.

Thursday: Rolfer. Then: Did some tutoring, saw the new Cirque du Soleil show, loved it.
    Friday: Lesson, in which Total Tanking happened; continued to tank off and on throughout the day, up to and including bleeding, weeping, and bugging out on a party I'd looked forward to for months; then Blues dancing made it all better
    Saturday and Sunday: lost days

14. j_alexandra

Monday:
    Lesson, much better than expected
    Phone call from X's neighbor, who is worried about his health; she is a much nicer person than I am
    To house of X to get tax info; he is back to smoking dope, so I get out as fast as possible; talk to neighbor, X's nephew, and X's cleaning lady, to see if anyone has any better grip on X and his health
    Group class
    Home; broken sleep

15. j_alexandra

Tuesday:
    Gyro; we have so much to do that we book a second session for later in the week; I wish I could afford to do gyro 3X week, every week
    Lesson, in which things unexpectedly go really, really well; this is a good thing for Teach (as well as me) b/c he will be out of the studio for a while, and it's been preying on his mind
    Tutor; my student presents challenges, her mother presents more challenges
    It must be spring, b/c I just want to spend the evening out of the house, but nobody wants to go out and play
    HOme, read, Z

16. j_alexandra

Yesterday:
    Theater: matinee of If/Then, the new musical with Idina Menzel, aka Adele Nazeem (will Travolta ever live that down?)
    Home, din, read, z

17. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Yesterday was group skate, and the 'lesson' (Advanced Adult is two people so we're kind of freeform) was to take the waltz jump and add a toe hop and a second waltz jump. It took me most of the lesson to mentally grasp the toe hop and most of public skate today to tack on the second waltz jump. Now repeat 10,000 more times...

18. fascination

doing today (thurs) now...as I am done for it soon...

8am teach blast
    9:15 teach gentle stretch
    10:30 Y get moving
    11 senior strength

brief chat with a friend, handling some wedding details, lunch, pet care, nap

4 teach yoga, pilates, core fusion
    5 sit out toning because I am feeling nauseous
    6 teach 50/50 cardiofusion

home to eat...sleep after this episode of big bang, as dh is at the blackhawks game

j_alexandra likes this.
  19. fascination

thank you for sharing about CCC's wardrobe issue....it brought back memories...so did the cardiac paranoia :)

20. ChaChaMama

This gives me hope that someday I will look back and...well, maybe not laugh, but smile ruefully.

I forgot the coda to that story! So she wears the purple dance shorts that actually match the sports bra and pulls her brand-new black and gold dance leggings on over them. She hasn't been in the studio more than 2 minutes before a girl comes up to her and tells her how much she loves the leggings oh my gosh, where did you get them? You are so lucky.
    It's a good thing I have a finely honed appreciation of irony.

fascination likes this.