yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

teach step....numbers are still low for that class so we may need to switch it...home to a quiet day...anniversary of my mom's death and some other sorts of less than positive energies directed toward me overshadowing the day...just trying to take it gently...go to hot yoga....now sipping wine and likely going to bed soon

2. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

fascination--I hope you were able to find a space for peaceful reflection on that difficult anniversary.

3wishes--I hope your husband feels better each day!
    And yikes about that earthquake! Glad you guys and your property are okay.
    I lived in California for 6 years (near Berkeley--first in Oakland, then El Cerrito), and my first earthquake was the 1989 Loma Prieta Quake (World Series quake)...which was quite a scare for this east coast girl! I was taking a shower when it hit, which was far from ideal (slippery!) When I called my dad on the east coast, I told him there had been an earthquake and the ground had shook for about 2 minutes. It turned out to be 15 seconds. I think I was so terrified that my heart beat enough times for it to have been 2 minutes!

TUESDAY:
    9, 9:20--ENG 1101 meeting.
    Did needful tasks related to FY team.
    11:25--FACULTY MEETING in which there is much tense debate over changes to the faculty handbook. And we haven't even gotten to the meaty parts of the proposed changes yet. Oh.My.Lord.

1--Leave for Towson.
    2--Double Nik lesson! Focus on paso and jive.

Take Child to dance. She does ballet. I write in diary.

WEDNESDAY:
    9, 9:20, 9:40--ENG 1101 appts. One girl is sick, though, and sends an e-mail saying she can't come.
    10:20--POSTCOLONIAL LITERATURE. Great discussion of It Does Not Die. Papers handed in.
    Lunch break. Grade a paper.
    12:40--WALK ON THE WILDE SIDE. Another great discussion, this time of Hanif Kureishi's The Buddha of Suburbia.
    1:45, 2:05, 2:25--ENG 1101 appts. Last person no-shows.
    Quick trip to the gas station, as running on fumes.
    Pick up Child.

Child goes into virtual meltdown because the shorts she wants to wear to dance are not in drawer. There are at least three pairs of clean dance shorts, plus dance leggings, but not the ones she wants to wear. Words are exchanged that are NOT "I love you Mom and know that you work really hard, so don't worry about it. I will be happy to wear any of the five freshly laundered alternatives you are presenting me with here." I tell her she is not even going to dance if she doesn't shape up.
    We get to dance and they have the mean substitute teacher for their 4:30-6 rehearsal. Good luck with that, kid.

Home and spend some quality time with Husband.
    Then work out. 6 miles on treadmill. Have to make sure I'm in good shape for that comp right around the corner! (Also make the decision that reading that thread on AED in the ballroom has made me paranoid. I felt a tiny twinge in my chest about 35 minutes in to my workout and was like "What if I am having a heart attack?!" Get a grip, Self.)

Pick up Child from dance.
    Home. Put Child to bed.
    Write in diary a bit.

3. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Sigh. Lapsing again.

Thursday: Rolfer. Then: Did some tutoring, saw the new Cirque du Soleil show, loved it.
    Friday: Lesson, in which Total Tanking happened; continued to tank off and on throughout the day, up to and including bleeding, weeping, and bugging out on a party I'd looked forward to for months; then Blues dancing made it all better
    Saturday and Sunday: lost days

4. j_alexandra

Monday:
    Lesson, much better than expected
    Phone call from X's neighbor, who is worried about his health; she is a much nicer person than I am
    To house of X to get tax info; he is back to smoking dope, so I get out as fast as possible; talk to neighbor, X's nephew, and X's cleaning lady, to see if anyone has any better grip on X and his health
    Group class
    Home; broken sleep

5. j_alexandra

Tuesday:
    Gyro; we have so much to do that we book a second session for later in the week; I wish I could afford to do gyro 3X week, every week
    Lesson, in which things unexpectedly go really, really well; this is a good thing for Teach (as well as me) b/c he will be out of the studio for a while, and it's been preying on his mind
    Tutor; my student presents challenges, her mother presents more challenges
    It must be spring, b/c I just want to spend the evening out of the house, but nobody wants to go out and play
    HOme, read, Z

6. j_alexandra

Yesterday:
    Theater: matinee of If/Then, the new musical with Idina Menzel, aka Adele Nazeem (will Travolta ever live that down?)
    Home, din, read, z

7. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Yesterday was group skate, and the 'lesson' (Advanced Adult is two people so we're kind of freeform) was to take the waltz jump and add a toe hop and a second waltz jump. It took me most of the lesson to mentally grasp the toe hop and most of public skate today to tack on the second waltz jump. Now repeat 10,000 more times...

8. fascination

doing today (thurs) now...as I am done for it soon...

8am teach blast
    9:15 teach gentle stretch
    10:30 Y get moving
    11 senior strength

brief chat with a friend, handling some wedding details, lunch, pet care, nap

4 teach yoga, pilates, core fusion
    5 sit out toning because I am feeling nauseous
    6 teach 50/50 cardiofusion

home to eat...sleep after this episode of big bang, as dh is at the blackhawks game

j_alexandra likes this.
  9. fascination

thank you for sharing about CCC's wardrobe issue....it brought back memories...so did the cardiac paranoia :)

10. ChaChaMama

This gives me hope that someday I will look back and...well, maybe not laugh, but smile ruefully.

I forgot the coda to that story! So she wears the purple dance shorts that actually match the sports bra and pulls her brand-new black and gold dance leggings on over them. She hasn't been in the studio more than 2 minutes before a girl comes up to her and tells her how much she loves the leggings oh my gosh, where did you get them? You are so lucky.
    It's a good thing I have a finely honed appreciation of irony.

fascination likes this.
  11. ChaChaMama

Thursday:
    My sleep in day, so I slept until about 7:45.
    Up, to work, graded papers.

Met with the Sociology External Reviewers.

Met with advisees x 4.

Drew up contracts with the secretary in academic affairs. I like her. A lot.

Home.

Family session of empty and re-load the pantry. Much overdue!

Wrote in diary.

12. fascination

all I have to say is get accustomed to how dumb you are for the next little while

13. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

ARGGHH, DH's cardio conversation changed to May 1. Poor him.

14. raindance

raindance Active Member

Dislike. Waiting list?? Tell him to hang in there.

15. ChaChaMama

@3wishes--What does a "cardio conversation" involve? I assume it is not actually just a conversation, but involves some testing as well? I hope you can get that moved back up. I guess May 1 is less than a month away, but it still seems like a long time to wait when the part of the body is the HEART! Probably a dumb question here, but could he get in earlier if he saw a different cardiologist?

FRIDAY:
    9:10--ENG 1101. Peer review. 6 students absent, and of course this included the two weakest students. Not exactly going for the win, these two.
    10:20--POSTCOLONIAL LITERATURE. Oral report on Bangladesh. Finish discussing Devi's It Does Not Die.
    Lunch break.
    12:40--WALK ON THE WILDE SIDE. Discuss final projects. Another fabulous discussion of Kureishi's Buddha of Suburbia.
    1:45, 2:05, 2:25, 2:45--Pre-registration appointments. Oh, and a very happy thing: two of my advisees who were struggling to find a roommate for 2014-15 decided to room with each other! The one girl is pretty shy--actually, come to think of it, both of them are sort of shy--and I am so relieved they recognized they were in the same boat and made this choice. YAY them!

That evening, I took Child and one of the BFFs to see "Muppets Most Wanted." It is okay. I would give it a 5 on a scale from 1-10. The one that came out a couple years ago was very cute and fun; this one did not measure up. That being said, my 11 and 12 year old companions really enjoyed it, and enjoyed being out together eating a huge bucket of popcorn. So it's all good and I got Mommy points.

16. ChaChaMama

SATURDAY:
    8:30-12--GRADING! My theory was get the day's quota done early.

2-3--6+ miles on the treadmill. I also wanted to get this over and done with.

Some relaxation time, including writing in my diary.

Grocery store.

I somehow have developed a muscle knot under my scapula on the right side which was quite painful. Put one of those stick on heating pads on it before bed.

17. fascination

yep, about that whole delayed cardio conversation; I'd be having a prolonged conversation with that medical group about how much I DIDN'T appreciate that....hang in there 3w

saturday....can't remember if I did Friday....teach 50/50, help paint the gym....lunch, nap, practice new choreo...but only a bit b/c I have rolled my right ankle and sprained my achilles....lovely....it is only minor, but tight... so I have to baby it or I will make it worse....have had this before and I hate it because even though I can work through it, it takes forever to go away.....dh has game night with a buddy, so I enjoy some long awaited solitude...he gets home and we snuggle...

18. fascination

didn't do friday...there wasn't much to share....it was a taxing tiring end to a long week.....

19. fascination

also, and I should/will put this in the "books" thread...I am currently reading Thinking Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman...and I am loving it....he is a Nobel prize winner in econ.....the book takes a look at intuitive and rational thinking and how the two function best together....given that many of us are fairly lop-sided in this regard, I find the implications fascinating in terms of the choices we have all made in our lives and how we have made them.....highly reccommend...

have made getting back to making reading a priority for this year, as well as getting back to crocheting/other crafts which I find incredibly relaxing....these things and hot yoga have really helped me to be completely comfortable in scaling back on the dancing for the next year and a half....in fact, I am really enjoying having more dimension to my life, having something interesting to discuss with dh, etc....

Purr and j_alexandra like this.
  20. fascination

sunday; practice dance choreo, cut dh's hair, bake a bunch of casseroles, order a potential MOTB dress, laundry, cat litter, round up trash, scrub various bathroom and kitchen things...basically busy all day long.....