yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

MONDAY:
    9, 9:30--ENG 1101 full draft appointments. First person just e-mails me her draft, which is only 4 pages (instead of 8-10). Second paper is not at all where it needs to be content-wise and is only 6 pages. So I'm writing a lot of comments.
    10:20--POSTCOLONIAL. Start Monica Ali's Brick Lane.
    Lunch break. Knock an item or two off the to-do list.
    12:40--WALK ON THE WILDE SIDE. They watch the end of "Maurice," then start "Tipping the Velvet," while I individually conference with people about their research projects. Interlibrary loan is going to be wondering why there is this huge rush on books about Christopher Isherwood and Sarah Waters.
    2, 2:30, 3--ENG 1101 paper conference. First one not good, second one the best of the day, third person no shows.
    Home. Get Child ready for dance. Drive her to the studio...and realize dance is still on "Easter break" as we are the only ones there. Whoops.
    Home again. Argument with Child who needs to finish her science fair project write-up before we can watch "Dancing with the Stars." Apparently this is quite an unreasonable thing for us, her parents, to demand, and we have to realize she always gets her work done on time and that she is a tween now, etc. Unnecessary drama.

TUESDAY:
    9, 9:30--ENG 1101 full draft conferences. One needs a lot of work but at least represents a serious effort, and the other is in GREAT shape and I could probably already give it an A- or B+.
    10--First year team meeting.
    11:30--Meeting with the head of the Office of Diversity and Multicultural Affairs. I walk her through the course proposal process.
    Leave for Towson.
    2:30--Double Nik lesson. Drill heavy.
    Awful drive home. I think there was a horrible accident. When I finally passed the choke point, there was a smear on the pavement that I hope was not a person's blood.
    Very quick turn around.
    6-7:30--Hip-hop rehearsal. This is nuts, but we are going to do that number IN COMPETITION at the kids' next competition!
    Home. Watched the rest of DWTS.
    End of Passover! Had some leavened foods.
    Planned my birthday.

2. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Meet with exit strategy lawyer.
    He is keen on tax shelters since we are not a sub-chapter S company. LOVED the meeting and both of us are quite relieved. Run into some people who recognize me from City service...ok...THAT was weird. oh yeah, we're at Ontario Airport (owned by LA City) duh...no wonder.
    Go to Lucille's for lunch, new location near our home, fabulous - I love their Tri-Tip lunch plate.
    Home, deal with questions from escrow, questions from SBA, questions from Bank.
    Watch some of the movies I taped as DH is still not allowed to exercise, on meds, and waiting for procedure.
    Talk with step-dad, who learns he has two murmurs and a leaky heart valve.
    I decide my higher power does not like my balance of ying and yang and must be awful at the rebalancing stuff because both men have heart problems at the same time. really?! sighhhhhhhhh.
    Pray anyways.
    DD informs us that our 3 Texas GKs have now traded in their DSI's for I-Pods and suddenly we are getting text msgs from all three within minutes. WOW.
    Time flies.
    Other GK who lives here - calls, askes to return to dance lessons.....hmmmmmmm.
    I start cruising through long term leases in the islands and a ballroom sister (travel agent) suggests a cruise and stay later pkg...gotta see what those are about.
    Note to self: the freedom of choice is clearly on display with DH...as he giggles.

3. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Inside another studio to coach. This one is hugely busy and at one time I counted 19 privates/practices going on simultaneously. It was invigorating. After work there were several of us that went out WCS dancing for the night.

Sania and stash like this.
  4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

tues...teach three classes...home to household stuff and planning evening classes....teach evening classes...run into an acquaintance who recently lost his mom...spend a lot of time listening...I don't consider that meeting a coincidence....tooth still hurts so have some motrin and wine and cuddle time

5. 3wishes

Contact with ex-pro (still good friend), asked about DH's health. Then slammed me, with....
    "You should know your close friend-ballroom sister is dealing with stage 4 ovarian cancer"...)-:
    I am so grateful he contacted me, shared with DH who loves this person - we are both stunned to say the least.
    I go walk 4 miles at park - thinking, praying, taking a deep breath and getting centered again.
    Take DH for a ride.
    visit with neighbors, start noticing garden artichokes that are huge!
    Pack for overnight up north, the drive will do us both good.
    Discuss with DH his procedure that will happen next Thursday, and he brings up the "if this goes sideways" conversation..."this is what I want you to do".
    Catch up on e-mails, read, rest.

6. fascination

sorry to hear all of this 3w...that is some heavy stuff

7. fascination

wed...teach step, and go to spin class as well...at 8...theological chat with a friend....for the life of me I cannot remember what else...subbed cardio kick in the evening

today (as I will not be long for it)
    fit for life at 8
    stretch at 9
    Y get moving at 10
    senior strength at 11
    lunch and nap
    pet care
    pilates core and yoga at 4
    toning at 5
    kickbox and running the track at 6
    food....wine immanent

8. fascination

wake around 7...soak in jacuzzi...electricity goes out in bathroom...breakfast...teach spin and Y get moving....drive to kohls, have forgotten purse....call electrician eat lunch....driveback to kohl's....wait for it--------have forgotten purse AGAIN.....wait for electrician...fortunately only minor stuff....drive back to kohl's and manage to take my purse....buy stuff for various showers, birthdays, communions, etc....clean house, begin monumental task of raking the leaves for the first time this Spring....you have no idea....currently sipping pinot grigio and hoping more motrin will not be neccessary for the tooth....

9. ChaChaMama

WEDNESDAY:
    9, 9:30--ENG 1101 appointments. Today's students are MUCH better prepared. Hooray.
    10:20--POSTCOLONIAL LITERATURE. Begin discussing Monica Ali's Brick Lane.
    Lunch and grade some short pieces.
    12:40--WALK ON THE WILDE SIDE. Watch "Tipping the Velvet."
    1:45, 2:15--Two more good ENG 1101 appointments.
    3--Pick up Child.
    4--Leave with Child for dance.
    4:30-9--Leave with Child for dance.
    Child's Advanced SCAT test results are back. She scored high enough on the verbal section to qualify for CTY courses from 7-12 grade!!!! YAY boogie boogie!
    [Her quantitative scores fell short of the cutoff for math/science programs, but that is okay as I'm pretty sure she would have selected writing or humanities courses anyway.]

I also put in 7 miles on the treadmill.

THURSDAY:
    Supposed to be my sleep-in day, but no rest for the weary in April.
    8:30, 9...and 11:10--ENG 1101 appointments. Half hour appointments means I have to do some of them on Thursday.
    Did a little exam review preparation in between.

11:30--Academic Planning Committee, at which we discuss the math department's external review, among other things.

Short reading break.

1:45-2--Pick up Child early from school.

2:40-4:10--Talk by Holocaust survivor Rubin Sztajer. I thought it was important for Child to attend this. By the time she is in college, she may not have the opportunity to hear someone bear witness.

Back to office to do some work that I didn't get to do earlier because I had to pick up Child early from school.

5--Arrive late for unveiling of college's literary journal. We walk in right as a student who is one of my classes is starting a reading of her poem "Why I am not a vegetarian," which is particularly hilarious since Child is a vegetarian and an increasingly militant one.

10. ChaChaMama

FRIDAY:
    9:10--ENG 1101. Peer review of essays.
    10:20--POSTCOLONIAL LITERATURE. Brick Lane discussion.
    Grading over lunch break.
    12:40--WALK ON THE WILDE SIDE. "Tipping the Velvet."
    More work on exam prep.
    Home just before it started to pour.

8-9--Parent hip-hop number rehearsal.

11. 3wishes

Made it to Fresno for event with DH, saw old friends and applauded loudly for them.
    Rodeo was in town, never had time to rest, enjoyed it lots!
    Phone call catch up, e-mails, and such after drive home.
    Dh rested, I watch storm clouds rolling in....really?
    Drag out white ballroom dress and work on replacing lost stones and such.
    Lesson with pro, we make each other laugh.
    Schedule set for next week...can't come soon enough.
    Sleep like a baby. YES!

12. fascination

up early....why?...oh well...no work today...finally....practiced dance, gorcery shopped, mopped floors, lots of yard work...watched a movie w/ dh...bed soon

13. ChaChaMama

SATURDAY:
    AM--Read Alice Goffman's On the Run: Fugitive Life in an American City. This book is pretty much a MUST READ if you are interested in urban studies, criminology, the prison industry, or the situation of African-American in the 21st century. There are some electrifying scenes where Alice Goffman--who lived among her subjects in a neighborhood in Philadelphia for six years--experiences firsthand how the cops treat African-American men in the neighborhood, most of whom wind up having their first run-in with the law sometime between age 10-13.

Went to Party City. Note to self: run errands like this earlier in the day. Party City on a Saturday afternoon in the spring is a zoo. There was one register working, and the other employee was blowing up helium balloons. The line was ballooning almost as fast as the balloons.
    Went to the grocery store. Also far from empty.
    Fell into a funk after the grocery store as I thought we had no butter--only Smart Balance--and I needed to make cookies. The thought of going back out was really disspiriting. Found some in the refrigerator! YAY!

Made choc chip cookies, adding in the baby blue M&Ms I had gotten at Party City.

BABY SHOWER for our Writing Center Director and his wife. It was very nice. I was also very pleased that Child played super nicely with one of my colleague's kindergarten age little boy. The boy was also very interested in rough-housing with my husband, who also seemed to enjoy this a lot.
    [Secret editorial thought: but shouldn't we have had this baby shower AT work? Because half the department wasn't there. Maybe that wasn't convenient for the wife???]

14. fascination

sunday...up around 8...cook breakfast, pay bills, put away laundry (which takes forever), do some wedding co-ordinating with groom's mother....give dh his birthday things early since he has to work early tomorrow....study for yoga cert...make playlist for classes for this week....lovely dinner with dh....jacuzzi....bed soon

15. ChaChaMama

Happy Birthday, Mr. Fascination!

SUNDAY--My birthday!

AM--Read Alice Goffman's On the Run: Fugitive Life in an American City. FANTASTIC book. Important book.

11:30--After a frenzy of last minute tasks, head to the movies in Bethesda. (Drive is about 1.5 hrs.)

1:30--"Dancing in Jaffa" at Bethesda Row Cinema!

Home. Switch clothing.

6--Hip-hop dress rehearsal.

Home and finish reading Joseph Delaney's Slither out loud to the family.
    (Child had a headache and a bit of a fever, but feels much better today.)

16. fascination

thx ccm....I hope your day was special in all of the ways you most enjoy

17. fascination

dh would have preferred golf weather....but he got new books and new music, and there were soccer games and hockey games, and homemade food, so he was happy....he usually takes off on his birthday but the big guys from corporate are in today

18. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Yesterday:
    - Alarm goes off. Turn it off and go back to sleep for an hour.
    - Long shower (exfoliate, hair mask, etc.)
    - Throw in a load of laundry, coffee, FB, DF, e-mails
    - Breakfast, another load of laundry, organize iTunes playlists for dance and rip some cds borrowed from the studio to computer (this takes a shockingly long time), Pinterest
    - Lunch, then debate heading to the studio for practice. Decide to take a nap, then go.
    - Up from nap, dishes. Still don't feel like heading to the studio... ugh, hate it when I get in dance-funks. Spend some time sketching out dresses (both latin and ballroom) and investigating fabric options.
    - Decide I'm really not feeling the practicing, so watch some tv and give myself a pedicure.
    - Dinner, movie, bed.

Summary of things I should have done yesterday, but didn't: practice, work on alterations and add stoning to my ballroom dress, ironing, discover my bedroom under the piles of clothing, my taxes, vaccuum, clean the bathroom, groceries.

j_alexandra likes this.
  19. fascination

monday...teach 8 am step....complete memory block about anything else except a nap...teach yoga at 6...couple time...dh's b-day

tues/today...teach stretch at 9, senior strength at 10...a senior gets dizzy....accident precautions are put into place....meet with boss...sleep again...beginning to think something is wrong with me as I cannot get enough sleep...teach core, pilates, yoga...take toning class, teach spin...connect with dh.....bed soon

20. ChaChaMama

MONDAY:
    9:10--ENG 1101. I talked to them about oral presentations. I was proud of myself for one line I came up with off the cuff. I was talking to them about the importance of not talking too quickly and said something like "You don't want to be the public speaking equivalent of Usain Bolt." That got some good laughs.

10:20--POSTCOLONIAL LITERATURE. Finished discussing Monica Ali's Brick Lane.

Lunch break and GRADING.

12:40--WALK ON THE WILDE SIDE. Finished watching "Tipping the Velvet." Talked about oral presentations.

1:45-4--Grading!!!

5:15-6:15--Child's dance rehearsal.
    Drove her home.
    8:15-9--My dance rehearsal.
    Tried to call my Mom, who had a brontoscopy earlier in the day. No answer.
    Drove myself home.
    Tried to call my Mom again. Still no answer. Huh. Trying not to worry, but this was supposed to be an outpatient procedure.

Bed.

TUESDAY:
    Up for good around 6:10 and anxious about Mom. Msg sister. She messages back that the hospital kept Mom overnight due to low pulse ox.

8:20--Child to school.

8:45-10--Grading, but interrupted by another teacher who wants to talk about a woman I gave a C- to in Spring 2013.

10-11--Meeting of exceptional dullness, in which we basically go over a 6 page memo. There were a couple useful clarifications, but I probably could have had us discuss this entire thing in 15 minutes. ("Anyone have any questions? If not, great! We're out of here!")

Drove to Towson!

12:30-2--Double Nik lesson.

3--Back at work. Grade.

4:30-6--3 Senior Seminar presentations, including a memoir which includes rape and a suicide attempt written by one of my own advisees. Note to self: be more grateful.

Mom was released from the hospital, but they put her on oxygen. Mom is not pleased.

Home to some Child distress re: an assignment for her online course.

7-8:15--Child to ballet. I read Beth Zasloff and Joshua Steckel's Hold Fast to Dreams, then called Mom to listen to her story about the brontoscopy and the doctors deciding to put her on oxygen. She is hoping that her regular doctor will say this isn't necessary. We'll see.

Child puts in some good work on online course assignment.

Put her to bed...and I'm about to put me to bed!