yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Made it to Fresno for event with DH, saw old friends and applauded loudly for them.
    Rodeo was in town, never had time to rest, enjoyed it lots!
    Phone call catch up, e-mails, and such after drive home.
    Dh rested, I watch storm clouds rolling in....really?
    Drag out white ballroom dress and work on replacing lost stones and such.
    Lesson with pro, we make each other laugh.
    Schedule set for next week...can't come soon enough.
    Sleep like a baby. YES!
  2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

up early....why?...oh well...no work today...finally....practiced dance, gorcery shopped, mopped floors, lots of yard work...watched a movie w/ dh...bed soon
  3. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

SATURDAY:
    AM--Read Alice Goffman's On the Run: Fugitive Life in an American City. This book is pretty much a MUST READ if you are interested in urban studies, criminology, the prison industry, or the situation of African-American in the 21st century. There are some electrifying scenes where Alice Goffman--who lived among her subjects in a neighborhood in Philadelphia for six years--experiences firsthand how the cops treat African-American men in the neighborhood, most of whom wind up having their first run-in with the law sometime between age 10-13.

Went to Party City. Note to self: run errands like this earlier in the day. Party City on a Saturday afternoon in the spring is a zoo. There was one register working, and the other employee was blowing up helium balloons. The line was ballooning almost as fast as the balloons.
    Went to the grocery store. Also far from empty.
    Fell into a funk after the grocery store as I thought we had no butter--only Smart Balance--and I needed to make cookies. The thought of going back out was really disspiriting. Found some in the refrigerator! YAY!

Made choc chip cookies, adding in the baby blue M&Ms I had gotten at Party City.

BABY SHOWER for our Writing Center Director and his wife. It was very nice. I was also very pleased that Child played super nicely with one of my colleague's kindergarten age little boy. The boy was also very interested in rough-housing with my husband, who also seemed to enjoy this a lot.
    [Secret editorial thought: but shouldn't we have had this baby shower AT work? Because half the department wasn't there. Maybe that wasn't convenient for the wife???]
  4. fascination

sunday...up around 8...cook breakfast, pay bills, put away laundry (which takes forever), do some wedding co-ordinating with groom's mother....give dh his birthday things early since he has to work early tomorrow....study for yoga cert...make playlist for classes for this week....lovely dinner with dh....jacuzzi....bed soon
  5. ChaChaMama

Happy Birthday, Mr. Fascination!

SUNDAY--My birthday!

AM--Read Alice Goffman's On the Run: Fugitive Life in an American City. FANTASTIC book. Important book.

11:30--After a frenzy of last minute tasks, head to the movies in Bethesda. (Drive is about 1.5 hrs.)

1:30--"Dancing in Jaffa" at Bethesda Row Cinema!

Home. Switch clothing.

6--Hip-hop dress rehearsal.

Home and finish reading Joseph Delaney's Slither out loud to the family.
    (Child had a headache and a bit of a fever, but feels much better today.)
  6. fascination

thx ccm....I hope your day was special in all of the ways you most enjoy
  7. fascination

dh would have preferred golf weather....but he got new books and new music, and there were soccer games and hockey games, and homemade food, so he was happy....he usually takes off on his birthday but the big guys from corporate are in today
  8. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

Yesterday:
    - Alarm goes off. Turn it off and go back to sleep for an hour.
    - Long shower (exfoliate, hair mask, etc.)
    - Throw in a load of laundry, coffee, FB, DF, e-mails
    - Breakfast, another load of laundry, organize iTunes playlists for dance and rip some cds borrowed from the studio to computer (this takes a shockingly long time), Pinterest
    - Lunch, then debate heading to the studio for practice. Decide to take a nap, then go.
    - Up from nap, dishes. Still don't feel like heading to the studio... ugh, hate it when I get in dance-funks. Spend some time sketching out dresses (both latin and ballroom) and investigating fabric options.
    - Decide I'm really not feeling the practicing, so watch some tv and give myself a pedicure.
    - Dinner, movie, bed.

Summary of things I should have done yesterday, but didn't: practice, work on alterations and add stoning to my ballroom dress, ironing, discover my bedroom under the piles of clothing, my taxes, vaccuum, clean the bathroom, groceries.
    j_alexandra likes this.
  9. fascination

monday...teach 8 am step....complete memory block about anything else except a nap...teach yoga at 6...couple time...dh's b-day

tues/today...teach stretch at 9, senior strength at 10...a senior gets dizzy....accident precautions are put into place....meet with boss...sleep again...beginning to think something is wrong with me as I cannot get enough sleep...teach core, pilates, yoga...take toning class, teach spin...connect with dh.....bed soon
  10. ChaChaMama

MONDAY:
    9:10--ENG 1101. I talked to them about oral presentations. I was proud of myself for one line I came up with off the cuff. I was talking to them about the importance of not talking too quickly and said something like "You don't want to be the public speaking equivalent of Usain Bolt." That got some good laughs.

10:20--POSTCOLONIAL LITERATURE. Finished discussing Monica Ali's Brick Lane.

Lunch break and GRADING.

12:40--WALK ON THE WILDE SIDE. Finished watching "Tipping the Velvet." Talked about oral presentations.

1:45-4--Grading!!!

5:15-6:15--Child's dance rehearsal.
    Drove her home.
    8:15-9--My dance rehearsal.
    Tried to call my Mom, who had a brontoscopy earlier in the day. No answer.
    Drove myself home.
    Tried to call my Mom again. Still no answer. Huh. Trying not to worry, but this was supposed to be an outpatient procedure.

Bed.

TUESDAY:
    Up for good around 6:10 and anxious about Mom. Msg sister. She messages back that the hospital kept Mom overnight due to low pulse ox.

8:20--Child to school.

8:45-10--Grading, but interrupted by another teacher who wants to talk about a woman I gave a C- to in Spring 2013.

10-11--Meeting of exceptional dullness, in which we basically go over a 6 page memo. There were a couple useful clarifications, but I probably could have had us discuss this entire thing in 15 minutes. ("Anyone have any questions? If not, great! We're out of here!")

Drove to Towson!

12:30-2--Double Nik lesson.

3--Back at work. Grade.

4:30-6--3 Senior Seminar presentations, including a memoir which includes rape and a suicide attempt written by one of my own advisees. Note to self: be more grateful.

Mom was released from the hospital, but they put her on oxygen. Mom is not pleased.

Home to some Child distress re: an assignment for her online course.

7-8:15--Child to ballet. I read Beth Zasloff and Joshua Steckel's Hold Fast to Dreams, then called Mom to listen to her story about the brontoscopy and the doctors deciding to put her on oxygen. She is hoping that her regular doctor will say this isn't necessary. We'll see.

Child puts in some good work on online course assignment.

Put her to bed...and I'm about to put me to bed!
  11. 3wishes

3wishes Well-Known Member

Deal with what seemes lots of "scanning" in our home office.
    Deal with DH who has the patience of a bumblebee when he is on the computer SCREAM/BANG HEAD AGAINST WALL.
    Take DH to his EchoTest, sigh, still in A-Fib
    Take DH to lab for pre-op blood work.
    Calls from business - employees are acting like temper tantrum throwing children - go to your corners!
    Run by studio - run into ballroom sister - nice seeing you btw, wink (I know your lurking).
    HOME, YES, pool repair/designer guy comes by, we chat about our pool and re-designing, since all the plaster is coming out like huge blisters for the last 12 months. THAT was fun.
    Hot day - HVAC customer/contractor comes out - replaces those silly whirley bird vents on our roof with space caps looking things that stink the hot air out of the attic by temperature control. AND IT WORKS! for the first time since we took out 100 year old tree out, the family side of the house does not feel like an oven after 4 p.m.
    It was actually quite comfortable.
    Save energy bill money in the long run.
    Slept well, tomorrow is Cardiac Conversion for DH, Fingers Crossed
    raindance and Debra like this.
  12. fascination

hug...good luck on that 3w
    3wishes likes this.
  13. ChaChaMama

3wishes--Best wishes for your Husband's cardiac conversion.
    3wishes and raindance like this.
  14. fascination

wed....teach step...chat with friend....lunch with another friend, attend power pump class, teach yoga....home completely wiped....cannot wait for friday
  15. ChaChaMama

WEDNESDAY:
    Raining like the end of the world on and off all day.
    Help Child run her science project in to school.
    Take myself to office. Am holding umbrella, but feet still get drenched.

9:10--ENG 1101. First four oral reports. All strong. (I intentionally picked good people for Day 1.)

10:20--POSTCOLONIAL LITERATURE. Aravind Adiga's White Tiger. One of the best discussions in terms of number of people voluntarily participating. Felt very good about that.

Lunch. Graded an essay about marijuana legalization. I was absolutely tickled because I can give this essay a middling grade, as this student did not do at all well on his shorter research essay and is marginal for getting the required grade in this course. Yay learning and effort.

12:40--WALK ON THE WILDE SIDE. First four oral reports. First one was great. Second one the young woman wound up feeling sick and crying afterwards because she felt like she let herself down. Third and fourth were fine.
    Gave pep talk of sorts to oral report #2.

Graded another project, this one on why hybrid cars are the best choice for the environment and your wallet.

3--Picked up Child.
    4--Left with Child for dance.
    4:30-9--Child danced.

I came home and put in 8 miles on treadmill. I could not have been less in the mood, and it was not a good run, but I still think it is good for me. That being said, April has not been a great month for me workout wise because my time is so limited, and I'm feeling that difference.

Drove back to the studio. In one part of the drive, the rain was almost bad enough to make me pull over...but then it went back to a mere steady drizzle again.

9--Picked up Child at dance. She said her stomach wasn't feeling good and that she felt really run down. :( [But she claims she feels better today.]
  16. fascination

today/thurs

exhausted and stressed because I thought I could help an elderly friend this morning and remembered that my work would conflict...didn't sleep well because of it and had to take a bunch of damage control steps to make that okay...teach 8 ,9:15, 10:30 and 11....not home til 12:30.....feed annoyed animals...feed self...sleep for an hour...go back to work...one person for core and one for 50/50...try not to take it personally....enjoyed being home earlier than usual with dh.....kind of looking forward to Summer schedule and hoping that, after May, they will drop some classes....my only vacations now are to drive out to Oregon to see cutest one....and I had company last time which wasn't so relaxing...so I am beginning to really feel how long it has been since I have had a real vacation, longer than a few days...sigh...there won't be one until the wedding is over in a year an a half....reminding myself that I am very fortunate and that I need to stink it up....some sunshine would help
  17. ChaChaMama

Fascination: I know what you mean about needing a "real" vacation. Soooooo many of our vacations are family get togethers, and not always relaxing at all. My one piece of advice is to really take advantage of 3-day and 4-day weekend getaways. I find having that 3-day weekend getaway when it's just me and Child, or just me, Child, and Husband, to be very restoring. And it doesn't even have to be expensive! It just has to involve being out of town and away from feeling like "Dang, I should really check my e-mail," or "I should put away laundry," or "What item on my to-do list should I tackle next?"

THURSDAY: My putative sleep-in day, but can't afford that at this time of the year! Today is self-discipline Thursday!

8:30-9:15--Grade ENG 1101 research paper.

9:30--Waxing. (Luckily, the place is nearish to campus.)

10-11:30--Madly prep for meeting I am running over lunch.

11:30-1--FYS New Instructor Training Meeting. I am thrilled with how this went. I covered everything I needed to cover and even made people laugh a few times. 8 people total--5 brand new people and 3 people who need a brush up--came to the meeting, which was perfect. (I had been worried because AFTER we had long since scheduled and then re-scheduled this meeting due to a conflict, the president of the college schedule a meeting up against it. Aaaaaah! And the department chairs meeting was also up against it. So I feel like the fact that the instructors chose my meeting was a testament to the fact that they knew they would actually LEARN STUFF about advising at this meeting.)

1-1:15--Sent two important follow up e-mails.

1:15-2--Graded an ENG 1101 essay.

2-2:45--Graded an ENG 1101 essay.

2:45-3:30--Graded an ENG 1101 essay.

3:30-4:15--Graded an ENG 1101 essay. (This essay was sooooo anti the spirit of May Day, but I managed to put all that aside and evaluate it strictly on its merits as an example of an academic research essay.)

4:30-6--Watched Senior Seminar presentations.

Home!

Watched some of DWTS (from Monday) with Child.

Read some Hold On to Dreams.

Bed.
  18. fascination

thanks ccm...I know you are right...one of the things I miss about my lessons is that they forced a weekly overnighter and just sitting in a cheap hotel away from my obligations one night a week made a difference....dh and I also did a weekend away last year...it was an expensive one, but I could get the same benefit from something far cheaper without a doubt...
  19. fascination

also know how you feel about the advising meeting...always nice to know that people respect your skill and want to hear what you have to say
  20. fascination

okay...something wrong here....I am looking at my post and it says Stink it up...and each time I go to edit it shows that I have typed s*ck....but won't let me switch it....is this some new language filter?