yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

thanks...I don't see my dad often so I like to spoil him when he does come around

2. fascination

thurs....teach fit for life...teach pilates, core and yoga...lunch...see engaged clients....make dh a dinner he can eat in the car as he has to road trip to detroit tonight...dtr and I will likely watch trashy reality tv tonight

3. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

I love mindless trashy reality tv some days...

dancelvr and SwayWithMe like this.
  4. fascination

fri...teach power pump and cycle...see engaged clients...lunch w/ dtr...nap...grocery store...loungin'

5. fascination

I hear you on that....I know you would never do something like this, but I was a less sensitive and kind parent...I often used shock value on my kids....while they rarely gave me the "other parents" argument, they WOULD give me the business about how I let one of them do thhis or that and it wasn't fair...and I would often, just to shock them into another time zone, simply reply "well that must be because I love them more"....I just wanted to get across to them how assinine their implication was....worked like a charm...they would just stand there aghast....and that ws the end of "you love her more" at our house

6. fascination

sat...teach fit for life, then 50/50...basically and hour and a half of various forms of cardio and about half an hour of toning...home to practice dancing...then a quick nap and spennding the entire rest of the day with my HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE exteended family on my mom's side....which was WONDERFUL

7. fascination

sleep til 8ish...

clean kitchen, clean dog pen and brush dog, rake and re-fill his pool
    scoop cat litter
    do laundry
    spend a huge chunk of time trying to help dtr sort through the clutter in her room so that, as her graduation and wedding approach, we will not be over-run next Summer sorting through crap that she doesn't even want to take with her...
    write bills
    practice...

mindless tv and chimnea on the roster for later

8. fascination

up early nauseous, starting week tired.....teach PYC, home to do laundry, care for pets, and catch a nap....take a bunch of stuff to goodwill....drive to wicker park to book dj for dtr's wedding...have lunch at nice thai place...take dtr back to evanston...drive home...cuddle kitties b/c dh is oot til tomo

9. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

FRIDAY--Dealt with a stupid and yet upsetting work crisis, worked out, drove to parents' house. Got to spend some time with baby nephew!

SATURDAY--Set alarm and got up at 6:20 AM, on train by 7:10 AM, in NYC by 8:32. C train not running as frequently as usual due to track work, but get to park by 9:15. Get on line for free Shakespeare in Park tickets...but it's not looking good. Line is literally a mile long. Should have stayed overnight in the city or been a summer supporter. We meet up with friends and play cards on line. Eventually get the news that our part of the line isn't getting tickets, so we go with our Plan B and head to The Met!

Child and her friend play on The Ancient Playground. We eat lunch at Dean and Deluca. Then we toured the museum, hitting the Ancient Egyptian, 19th and early 20th century European painting, and Modern and Contemporary sections. We then went up to the Rooftop Garden for snacks and beverages, and beautiful views of the city. Many people up there enjoying the beautiful weather. Child's friend's mom had a glass of champagne and felt very elegant. She also said that she has the most interesting adventures with us, and that we really get out and DO things, which made me feel good about the way Child and I do our thing.

Had a bear of a time getting back to our hotel due to track work. Our plan was to take the 6 to the Q to the A. It turns out there was work being done on all three lines. We would have been better off taking a cab, esp since we were tired. Dinner at the Tick Tock Diner, then overnight in the city.

SUNDAY--Early train back to NJ. Play time with cute nephew! He showed me that he knows how to climb up stairs. Child loves him. We spent another hour or two with my parents after my sister and the baby left, and then headed home ourselves.

--Slept 10 hours to make up for the two early mornings on the weekend.--

MONDAY--Deep breath, then confronted e-mail. I think things are settling down with the work problem.
    As I was reading through the weekend's e-mail, an incendiary e-mail came through to the whole faculty about another work issue, luckily one that doesn't affect me much, but wow. It is like one wing of the faculty decided to throw a verbal fire bomb at the administration.
    Work lunch about Living Learning Communities.
    Worked in my office. Prepared two new packets and did some tidying.
    Worked out to try to make up for the sins of the weekend. I came home 2-3 lbs heavier, so had to nip that in the bud!

10. fascination

your saturday sounded wonderful

11. fascination

doing today now..

tues...sleep in ...thank goodness... as I was up late watching the news....pyc is cancelled so I buy a reasonably healthy lunch from a new place that I have grown fond of as they are a mom and pop shop and everyting is fresh...we don't get that much around here....pop into kohls for a few replacement workout shirts, tan, because I just felt like I needed a lift...nap, do a bit of gardening, teach power pump then spin...eat dinner....looking forward to dh returning home in an hour or so

12. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

Thanks, Fascination! Yeah, Saturday was pretty awesome, subway issues notwithstanding. I forgot to mention a funny thing that happened: while we were touring the Egyptian section, I heard someone say my name. An alumna of the college was there, someone who I know pretty well! (Was in Vagina Monologues, took a gender studies class with me). We caught up on each other's news before proceeding on with our respective museum buddies.

TUESDAY
    10--Opening Faculty Meeting. This is actually not really a meeting, but more a series of announcements: who has died, who has completed 25 or 50 years of service (citations and awards), publication awards, tenure, promotions in rank, new people, changes in title, announcements. As I mentioned before, there is a major issue brewing--one entire wing of the faculty is seriously ticked off at the administration and sent a verbal firebomb of an e-mail out--but although the incendiary issue was mentioned, it was not addressed because there is a tacit understanding that we do not deal with substantive issues at the opening meeting. So there was a weird tension in the air, but the issue at stake was largely unaddressed. A key player got up to speak and got a standing ovation from that wing before he had said a single word...so we all know the issue is still out there.

Free lunch. My department ate together at two tables, and I wound up at the table--it now strikes me--with the untenured folk. I got a lot of questions about the Star Trek con and cosplay. Turns out another member of the department is going to a con with dressing up later this fall.

1:30--The State of the College. I might have gotten a tear in my eye when we gave a standing ovation to the buildings and grounds crew, who did so much during this tough winter. These guys are so underacknowledged much of the time. There was a lot of talk about the need to be innovative and open to change without a lot of specifics. There was mention that we are each getting a $1000 bonus and that there also will be raises this year, so that was nice.

Went back to my office and did some work until around 4:30.

Itchy, scratchy throat. I think fall allergies have arrived. Went to bed on the early side.

WEDNESDAY
    Move in day for the first years at my college! The crew of peer mentors, RAs, etc who do this have the routine down to a science, and it got a lot of praise from the parents of new students. Proud of my school.

Child got her cast off and got an x-ray. I handled myself fine, asked good questions.
    I then had to take her to get a splint made at a PT place. I ran into a work colleague there who is getting post-surgery PT on her knee, but may need another surgery because of scar tissue. She had had knee surgery on the OTHER knee back in her 20s and said the recovery is harder in your 40s.

Sent a couple necessary e-mails in my role as neighborhood association president. (I have a bad tendency to back burner this.)

3--Opening convocation.

Home. Books arrived in mail, yay! Hmm, which should I read first...Haruki Murakami's Sputnik Sweetheart or Richard Flanagan's The Narrow Road to the Deep North? Decide on the Murakami.

Later, phone convo with my dad, fill out forms for 7th grade, a little writing in diary.

13. fascination

I would second the opinion about Fall allergies...though everyonewas saying that the entire summer has been running a month behind in terms ofblooming etc., my allergies have kicked in full force since last week

14. fascination

wed...teach pyc...drive to lessons...get second speeding tickit this Summer....drat....wonder how many I can get and still keep my license....hmmm...the first one was really bogus but now I am worried....grumble....lessons go reasonably well...pro is banged up so we had to dial it back a bit....home to immediately apply bengay and go horizontal...

15. fascination

thurs...teach "fit for life" and PYC....drive to south bend to have lunch with my friend who recently had a heart attack...have a great time, try to be empathetic as she grieves the end of "eat whatever you want and don't worry about exercise"...she truly is at a loss as to how to tackle what she sees as a monumental task ahead of her....hoping I was able to reassure her...home to epic thunder and some fairly upset kitties...largely horizontal now....probably not going to be much else

16. fascination

teach spin...meet with boss...5 hour lunch...yes, you read that correctly...yesterday'slunch was 3 hours....while I am freaked over how little I have gotten done this week, I am reminding myself that my friendships are important, I don't have that many of them and I need todo this from time to time.....but I am feeling a bit overwhelmed ...staff meeting...home and feeling cranky pants....dh is on the recieving end of that....we make up but it is late into theevening so nowI am tired and have to teach two classes then go to a wedding....grumble...notone I want to attend...but dh, cousin's family....so...going....mercifully sunday promises to be free and quiet

17. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

- Up early, go for bloodwork, take car to repair shop for estimate on latest 'worst car luck ever' damage
    - To work. At some point, call the girl who hit me, have frustrating conversation.
    - Home, try to squeeze in 20 min powernap (unsuccessful), grab a light dinner
    - To studio, warm-up, latin technique class, practice standard a bit
    - Try on new-to-me dress to show pro's partner to confirm the alterations I want to make. Pro is unexpectedly there (was supposed to be out of town). Both like the dress. Pro's partner doesn't want me to change the bra cups as she likes that it looks "really sexy"... I declare this is non-negotiable, as the ones that are in the dress now do not fit (way too small) and I am supremely uncomfortable and busting out at the bottom... she also says "it doesn't have that many stones"... for the record, it has about 40 gross... and the top is almost entirely stones :rolleyes:
    - Grocery store, home for a snack, bed.

18. fascination

sat...teach blast, then 50/50...home to quick shower and off to an out of town wedding...very emotional....wonderful to see family...home late and out

19. fascination

sunday (today thusfar)

round up trash, clean floors, fridge, kitchen, litter boxes....buy some itunes, reserach some pilates stuff...still need to practice and clean dog pen...anticipating a fairly sedantary evening

20. fascination

well...so much for that plan...see life is hard thread if you are curious....but the hospice training does still come back fright in a flash