yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

demolish basement
    teach Thriller Flash Mob
    demolish more basement
    j_alexandra likes this.
  2. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

Thursday--Did not sleep well Wed/Thursday, possibly because of allergies. Then tweaked my back on the way out of the house. Not terribly bad, but enough that I was like "Ow! Oops."

Meeting with Child's 7th grade teacher and assistant teacher. Got some questions answered.

Spend much of the rest of the day relaxing and even took a nap due to aforementioned allergies and back issue.

Friday--
    10 AM--To school! Child comes with me. Worked on syllabi finalization.
    11 AM--First class!
    Class introduces themselves. Very diverse group. First person to introduce herself talks about how she is gender fluid and what that means. One really positive thing: 20 years ago, when I first started teaching, no one would have felt bold enough to say something like that, on the very first day of class, at this college. I am hardly pollyanna-ish, but this makes me feel like there has been noticeable, positive change.
    12 noon--Lunch with my first year seminar students in the dining hall. This is my third meal this week in the dining hall. If I don't watch it, *I* am going to gain the freshman 15! I'm having salads for my main course, but the desserts...oh my!
    1 PM--Advising.
    Uploaded syllabi to LMS (learning management system).
    2:30ish--Home.
    Wrote a mini book review on my FB wall.
    4ish--Drove to Maryland House. Hit horrible traffic in a couple spots. Gave Child to sister, who drove her on to Mom and Dad's.
    Home. Read.

Saturday--
    12 noon--Transfer student lunch.

Worked out, read Richard Flanagan's The Narrow Road to the Deep North.

Sunday--Last day before school starts.
    Worked out again. (I normally do every other day, but I missed when I tweaked my back, so trying to make up for it.)
    Got my hair colored and cut.
    Picked up some last minute school supplies.
    Read.
  3. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

I saw your FB posts and I am still stunned at the awful construction work you guys are uncovering.
  4. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I am only sorta stunned.... for the past two years we have been looking at the shoddy visible work from this local "high end" professional and wondering what was behind the walls. We have a mutual friend who told use they bought the house to play around with flipping. All they did was "finish" the basement and install new windows on the whole house (which weren't sealed and leaked). But I have to say, the rest of the house is amazing, and for that I am grateful.
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
    j_alexandra likes this.
  5. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

my empathy...the former owners of our home were pushing the option of a home warranty for us when we were buying.... saying it was just a perk since their mother was the agent...and we were like, why would we need a warranty?....now we know why....the 90k retaining wall problem that they did a quick fix on in order to sell...the two rooms that have gotten busted plumbing due to their insufficient insulation...the buried downspouts connected to faulty drain tiles that caused flooding after every single rain....my only solace is that we gave them about 50k less than they were asking for ...but that doesn't begin to cover the crap they left us...and we went to church with these people....not sure how they sleep at night
  6. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Since April:

Worka worka worka in cooking classes
    Rolfing, most of the time
    Lessons, most of the time
    Gyro, most Tuesdays
    Lots of theater

May highlight: visit friends out of town, in Texas (odd, to think visiting Texas would EVER be a highlight in my life); also, LOTS of Broadway theater, voting season for the Tonys
    June highlights: get GOES approval (global "trusted traveler" card, which includes TSA Precheck for this country; color me happy); Lesson Drought Begins
    July: Lesson Drought Continues; have birthday party at cooking class where I work, major fun; whack out right knee by turning body without turning feet -- TDNWMH in a BIG way; Blues Dance workshop weekend in NYC; visit to friend in Seattle
    August heights: why am I working so much? lesson drought comes to a peak and finally ends

And now we're up to this past weekend

Texas Friend comes to visit; Day 1: pick her up at Newark; to lunch; to work, where she takes the class I'm working; then to winebar;
    Day 1: To Metropolitan Museum, then to Marriott Marquis in Times Square for dinner overlooking That View, then theater, then blues dancing, HOW CAN I POSSIBLY HAVE STAYED AWAKE FOR ALL THAT????
    Day 2: Staten Island Ferry, then the Village, east, west, and Greenwich, walking, walking, walking, then home to sit on porch in beautiful evening with wine, bread, cheese
    Day 3: Bake blueberry pie, then go to Wheelchair Dance workshop, then home to cook and more porch sitting, then watch Moonstruck

And now we're up to today, which I might as well do b/c the rest of it should be pretty predictable:

take friend for walk at local bird sanctuary/riverwalk, then to airport
    Home; collapse
    Lesson, in which some useful stuff happens
    Supermarket
    Home again; my my, how can it be that the ENTIRE BLUEBERRY PIE I MADE YESTERDAY IS EFFING GONE????
    *Group class
    *Home; z

*predictions
    Sania likes this.
  7. fascination

mon....sigh....lazy day at last...teach pyc, eat, sleep, sub yoga....that is all...thank goodness
  8. cornutt

Follow-up appointment for oral surgery round 1. Doctor says everything is going well. Next appt is in late November, to assess when we will do round 2.
  9. fascination

tues...teach pilates, yoga, core....home to eat and sleep because it is rainy and depressing ...back to work to teach power pump and cycle.....chat with son....bed soon
  10. j_alexandra

Tues:

Make flyers promoting myself as a tutor; time to get back in the tutoring game; this involves much measuring and cutting, but doing it myself saves me hundreds of dollars
    Start pre-packing for Europe trip (note to self: need euros)
    Long conversation with dance buddy, trying to explain the difference between WDSF and WDC; that did not go well
    Reading
    Lesson; stellar
    To winebar after lesson, for Pellegrino; who can drink after that kind of dancing? Not I
    Home; din; read; z
    Sania likes this.
  11. ChaChaMama

@cornutt--What are you having done at the oral surgeon? I'm an alumni of wisdom teeth surgery, root canals, and an implant. Hope everything goes great!

@j_alexandra --It is great to see you posting in this thread again!

SUNDAY--Day before start of school, so some getting ready activities like grocery shopping, laundry, etc. Also worked out and read a ton.

MONDAY--FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL! Still exciting after all these years!
    9:10--ENG 1101. First day business.

10:20--GENDER, LITERATURE, CULTURE. This class also met during orientation, so we had a real day. I said we would start with stuff we know: advertisements. I brought a bunch of magazines, and we would look through them for traditional and progressive gender images. We made a list of examples of traditional and progressive gender roles on the board. Everyone participated and I was just thrilled! One kid seemed to be a little bit on his own planet, which is perhaps a bit concerning and something to keep an eye on. (While other people are going "Stay at home dads are an example of a progressive image," "The objectification of women in traditional," this student said "Hot dog makers. They just make hot dogs. That didn't use to exist, so it's progress." I'm thinking he didn't quite understand what I was looking for.)

Lunch break.

12:40--VICTORIAN LIT. First day stuff.

2-4--Office hours. Helped people, read.

7--Back to school night at Child's school. 7th grade sounds pretty interesting!

TUESDAY--
    9--Office hours.
    10:10--GENDER, LITERATURE, CULTURE. Tips for success. Worried I come across as scolding, but I did want to tell them about some norms of behavior, e.g., if you miss class, don't e-mail the professor and ask "Did I miss anything?"

To Towson. Double lesson!

Picked up Child from parents, meeting at a rest stop on I-95. Some bad news here: they had gone to the Great Adventure safari. Unfortunately, the queueing and ticketing has changed, and you now have to get out of your car to do that. The line was about 1/2 hour long. My mom passed out just before they got to the front. So that's NOT a great day. Poor mom. (This is not the first time, though the first time in front of Child.) So that's a tough day for everyone: my Mom first and foremost, but also my daughter and my dad. :(

Drove home in not the greatest traffic.

Child had dance rehearsal. I worked out and finished reading Richard Flanagan's Narrow Road to the Deep North. Really interesting historical novel, but not for everyone. The details of the Australians suffering in Japanese POW camps during WWII are graphic and horrifying. This is not the kind of book that would restore your faith in the fundamental goodness of humankind, to put it mildly. I'm glad I read it, and there are some survivors...but it's still a very bleak look at the past. In this novel, many of the survivors cope by doing their best to forget. The author lives in Tasmania and felt very drawn to tell this story.
  12. j_alexandra

<waves> Hi, CCM! sorry to have been AWOL so long

Bwahahaaa then again, you could make an argument for hot dog makers being gender specific... and btw I had one in the 1970s. But few college students have a sense of history and the 70s might as well be the middle ages, for all they know. Life before cable, the internet, cell phones, flat screen tvs, even home computers.
  13. cornutt

CCM, I'm getting an implant. I have an upper bicuspid that apparently bears a lot of force, because it was crowned and the crown had broken off several times. This time, instead of the crown breaking, the tooth underneath broke off below the gum line. So I had the first surgery, where they extracted the broken tooth and did a bone graft to add structural support. In November I go back for the second surgery, where they put the post in.
  14. sbrnsmith

sbrnsmith Well-Known Member

I feel your pain....although never been plagued by tooth problems....hope all goes well
  15. ChaChaMama

@cornutt --I somehow thought it might be an implant. As I said, I've had one, and although a multi-stage procedure is never super fun ("Yay! I get to come back for more dental fun in a couple months? Woo-hoo!"), I'm *really* glad I got it done. I could have also done a bridge, but I really think implant is the way to go. The only bad part is that my insurance covered mine precisely zero percent and they are pretty expensive.
  16. fascination

dh had one and is very happy with it...we often joke about him having cow bone in his head

today: teach PYC, shop, garden, pay bills, pet care, laundry, chat withh buddy, teach yoga...bed soon
  17. ChaChaMama

WEDNESDAY:
    8:30--At work, getting stuff ready for the day.

9:10-10:10--ENG 1101. Tips for writing.

10:20-11:20--GLC. Discussion about the social construction of gender and especially the social construction of masculinity, e.g., does Anglo-American culture expect men to be stoical, unemotional? We are trying to lead in to a discussion of the Great War poets, but people had so much to say about the social construction of masculinity that we didn't quite get there!

Lunch break.

12:40-1:40--VICTORIAN LITERATURE. Victorian history. Topics included: industrialism and urbanization, class stratification, conditions of the poor, the rhetoric of self-help, education, publishing conditions, women's rights.

1:45-2:45--Office hours.

3--Reception at First Stop, our new one stop shop for first year students.
    4:15--Phi Beta Kappa meeting.

5--Home, hungry and tired!

Read some of Neal Mukherjee's The Lives of Others.
    Re-watched most of "Star Trek: Into Darkness" with family.
  18. cornutt

I was offered a choice to get a bridge, but the broken tooth is right next to an upper incisor, which is crowned, and since that crown is in good shape I don't want them messing with it. I was also concerned about what kind of forces a bridge would put on that tooth. So I chose the implant. The first surgery actually has been pretty trouble free. We'll see about the second one.

And yes, I hear you about the insurance. Mine's going to pay for the first surgery since it involved the extraction of the broken tooth, but it won't pay for the rest.
  19. fascination

thurs
    teach "fit for life" at 8
    get a smoothie and pick up a few things at drug store
    teach pyc at 10:30
    home to pet care, lunch and nap, also go to banck to get a cashier's checkfor recent speeding violation...
    work wellness hours at the gym...home to a salad, wine and project runway
  20. j_alexandra

Wednesday:

Lesson
    Cook cook cook
    Work evening class; hot water heater has self destructed, so class involves boiling water on the stove in huge pots so as to clean hand-washables; at least dishwasher is working properly, thankful for that, but end up working very late; JA does not like being up that late, whine whine
    Home, crash