yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

doing today now..

tues...sleep in ...thank goodness... as I was up late watching the news....pyc is cancelled so I buy a reasonably healthy lunch from a new place that I have grown fond of as they are a mom and pop shop and everyting is fresh...we don't get that much around here....pop into kohls for a few replacement workout shirts, tan, because I just felt like I needed a lift...nap, do a bit of gardening, teach power pump then dinner....looking forward to dh returning home in an hour or so
  2. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

Thanks, Fascination! Yeah, Saturday was pretty awesome, subway issues notwithstanding. I forgot to mention a funny thing that happened: while we were touring the Egyptian section, I heard someone say my name. An alumna of the college was there, someone who I know pretty well! (Was in Vagina Monologues, took a gender studies class with me). We caught up on each other's news before proceeding on with our respective museum buddies.

10--Opening Faculty Meeting. This is actually not really a meeting, but more a series of announcements: who has died, who has completed 25 or 50 years of service (citations and awards), publication awards, tenure, promotions in rank, new people, changes in title, announcements. As I mentioned before, there is a major issue brewing--one entire wing of the faculty is seriously ticked off at the administration and sent a verbal firebomb of an e-mail out--but although the incendiary issue was mentioned, it was not addressed because there is a tacit understanding that we do not deal with substantive issues at the opening meeting. So there was a weird tension in the air, but the issue at stake was largely unaddressed. A key player got up to speak and got a standing ovation from that wing before he had said a single we all know the issue is still out there.

Free lunch. My department ate together at two tables, and I wound up at the table--it now strikes me--with the untenured folk. I got a lot of questions about the Star Trek con and cosplay. Turns out another member of the department is going to a con with dressing up later this fall.

1:30--The State of the College. I might have gotten a tear in my eye when we gave a standing ovation to the buildings and grounds crew, who did so much during this tough winter. These guys are so underacknowledged much of the time. There was a lot of talk about the need to be innovative and open to change without a lot of specifics. There was mention that we are each getting a $1000 bonus and that there also will be raises this year, so that was nice.

Went back to my office and did some work until around 4:30.

Itchy, scratchy throat. I think fall allergies have arrived. Went to bed on the early side.

Move in day for the first years at my college! The crew of peer mentors, RAs, etc who do this have the routine down to a science, and it got a lot of praise from the parents of new students. Proud of my school.

Child got her cast off and got an x-ray. I handled myself fine, asked good questions.
    I then had to take her to get a splint made at a PT place. I ran into a work colleague there who is getting post-surgery PT on her knee, but may need another surgery because of scar tissue. She had had knee surgery on the OTHER knee back in her 20s and said the recovery is harder in your 40s.

Sent a couple necessary e-mails in my role as neighborhood association president. (I have a bad tendency to back burner this.)

3--Opening convocation.

Home. Books arrived in mail, yay! Hmm, which should I read first...Haruki Murakami's Sputnik Sweetheart or Richard Flanagan's The Narrow Road to the Deep North? Decide on the Murakami.

Later, phone convo with my dad, fill out forms for 7th grade, a little writing in diary.
  3. fascination

I would second the opinion about Fall allergies...though everyonewas saying that the entire summer has been running a month behind in terms ofblooming etc., my allergies have kicked in full force since last week
  4. fascination

wed...teach to lessons...get second speeding tickit this Summer....drat....wonder how many I can get and still keep my license....hmmm...the first one was really bogus but now I am worried....grumble....lessons go reasonably is banged up so we had to dial it back a bit....home to immediately apply bengay and go horizontal...
  5. fascination

thurs...teach "fit for life" and to south bend to have lunch with my friend who recently had a heart attack...have a great time, try to be empathetic as she grieves the end of "eat whatever you want and don't worry about exercise"...she truly is at a loss as to how to tackle what she sees as a monumental task ahead of her....hoping I was able to reassure her...home to epic thunder and some fairly upset kitties...largely horizontal now....probably not going to be much else
  6. fascination

teach with boss...5 hour lunch...yes, you read that correctly...yesterday'slunch was 3 hours....while I am freaked over how little I have gotten done this week, I am reminding myself that my friendships are important, I don't have that many of them and I need todo this from time to time.....but I am feeling a bit overwhelmed ...staff meeting...home and feeling cranky pants....dh is on the recieving end of that....we make up but it is late into theevening so nowI am tired and have to teach two classes then go to a wedding....grumble...notone I want to attend...but dh, cousin's sunday promises to be free and quiet
  7. FancyFeet

FancyFeet Well-Known Member

- Up early, go for bloodwork, take car to repair shop for estimate on latest 'worst car luck ever' damage
    - To work. At some point, call the girl who hit me, have frustrating conversation.
    - Home, try to squeeze in 20 min powernap (unsuccessful), grab a light dinner
    - To studio, warm-up, latin technique class, practice standard a bit
    - Try on new-to-me dress to show pro's partner to confirm the alterations I want to make. Pro is unexpectedly there (was supposed to be out of town). Both like the dress. Pro's partner doesn't want me to change the bra cups as she likes that it looks "really sexy"... I declare this is non-negotiable, as the ones that are in the dress now do not fit (way too small) and I am supremely uncomfortable and busting out at the bottom... she also says "it doesn't have that many stones"... for the record, it has about 40 gross... and the top is almost entirely stones :rolleyes:
    - Grocery store, home for a snack, bed.
  8. fascination

sat...teach blast, then 50/50...home to quick shower and off to an out of town wedding...very emotional....wonderful to see family...home late and out
  9. fascination

sunday (today thusfar)

round up trash, clean floors, fridge, kitchen, litter some itunes, reserach some pilates stuff...still need to practice and clean dog pen...anticipating a fairly sedantary evening
  10. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member much for that plan...see life is hard thread if you are curious....but the hospice training does still come back fright in a flash
  11. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

demolish basement
    teach Thriller Flash Mob
    demolish more basement
    j_alexandra likes this.
  12. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

Thursday--Did not sleep well Wed/Thursday, possibly because of allergies. Then tweaked my back on the way out of the house. Not terribly bad, but enough that I was like "Ow! Oops."

Meeting with Child's 7th grade teacher and assistant teacher. Got some questions answered.

Spend much of the rest of the day relaxing and even took a nap due to aforementioned allergies and back issue.

10 AM--To school! Child comes with me. Worked on syllabi finalization.
    11 AM--First class!
    Class introduces themselves. Very diverse group. First person to introduce herself talks about how she is gender fluid and what that means. One really positive thing: 20 years ago, when I first started teaching, no one would have felt bold enough to say something like that, on the very first day of class, at this college. I am hardly pollyanna-ish, but this makes me feel like there has been noticeable, positive change.
    12 noon--Lunch with my first year seminar students in the dining hall. This is my third meal this week in the dining hall. If I don't watch it, *I* am going to gain the freshman 15! I'm having salads for my main course, but the desserts...oh my!
    1 PM--Advising.
    Uploaded syllabi to LMS (learning management system).
    Wrote a mini book review on my FB wall.
    4ish--Drove to Maryland House. Hit horrible traffic in a couple spots. Gave Child to sister, who drove her on to Mom and Dad's.
    Home. Read.

12 noon--Transfer student lunch.

Worked out, read Richard Flanagan's The Narrow Road to the Deep North.

Sunday--Last day before school starts.
    Worked out again. (I normally do every other day, but I missed when I tweaked my back, so trying to make up for it.)
    Got my hair colored and cut.
    Picked up some last minute school supplies.
  13. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

I saw your FB posts and I am still stunned at the awful construction work you guys are uncovering.
  14. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

I am only sorta stunned.... for the past two years we have been looking at the shoddy visible work from this local "high end" professional and wondering what was behind the walls. We have a mutual friend who told use they bought the house to play around with flipping. All they did was "finish" the basement and install new windows on the whole house (which weren't sealed and leaked). But I have to say, the rest of the house is amazing, and for that I am grateful.
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
    j_alexandra likes this.
  15. fascination

my empathy...the former owners of our home were pushing the option of a home warranty for us when we were buying.... saying it was just a perk since their mother was the agent...and we were like, why would we need a warranty? we know why....the 90k retaining wall problem that they did a quick fix on in order to sell...the two rooms that have gotten busted plumbing due to their insufficient insulation...the buried downspouts connected to faulty drain tiles that caused flooding after every single only solace is that we gave them about 50k less than they were asking for ...but that doesn't begin to cover the crap they left us...and we went to church with these people....not sure how they sleep at night
  16. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Since April:

Worka worka worka in cooking classes
    Rolfing, most of the time
    Lessons, most of the time
    Gyro, most Tuesdays
    Lots of theater

May highlight: visit friends out of town, in Texas (odd, to think visiting Texas would EVER be a highlight in my life); also, LOTS of Broadway theater, voting season for the Tonys
    June highlights: get GOES approval (global "trusted traveler" card, which includes TSA Precheck for this country; color me happy); Lesson Drought Begins
    July: Lesson Drought Continues; have birthday party at cooking class where I work, major fun; whack out right knee by turning body without turning feet -- TDNWMH in a BIG way; Blues Dance workshop weekend in NYC; visit to friend in Seattle
    August heights: why am I working so much? lesson drought comes to a peak and finally ends

And now we're up to this past weekend

Texas Friend comes to visit; Day 1: pick her up at Newark; to lunch; to work, where she takes the class I'm working; then to winebar;
    Day 1: To Metropolitan Museum, then to Marriott Marquis in Times Square for dinner overlooking That View, then theater, then blues dancing, HOW CAN I POSSIBLY HAVE STAYED AWAKE FOR ALL THAT????
    Day 2: Staten Island Ferry, then the Village, east, west, and Greenwich, walking, walking, walking, then home to sit on porch in beautiful evening with wine, bread, cheese
    Day 3: Bake blueberry pie, then go to Wheelchair Dance workshop, then home to cook and more porch sitting, then watch Moonstruck

And now we're up to today, which I might as well do b/c the rest of it should be pretty predictable:

take friend for walk at local bird sanctuary/riverwalk, then to airport
    Home; collapse
    Lesson, in which some useful stuff happens
    Home again; my my, how can it be that the ENTIRE BLUEBERRY PIE I MADE YESTERDAY IS EFFING GONE????
    *Group class
    *Home; z

Sania likes this.
  17. fascination

mon....sigh....lazy day at last...teach pyc, eat, sleep, sub yoga....that is all...thank goodness
  18. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

Follow-up appointment for oral surgery round 1. Doctor says everything is going well. Next appt is in late November, to assess when we will do round 2.
  19. fascination

tues...teach pilates, yoga, core....home to eat and sleep because it is rainy and depressing ...back to work to teach power pump and with son....bed soon
  20. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

Make flyers promoting myself as a tutor; time to get back in the tutoring game; this involves much measuring and cutting, but doing it myself saves me hundreds of dollars
    Start pre-packing for Europe trip (note to self: need euros)
    Long conversation with dance buddy, trying to explain the difference between WDSF and WDC; that did not go well
    Lesson; stellar
    To winebar after lesson, for Pellegrino; who can drink after that kind of dancing? Not I
    Home; din; read; z
    Sania likes this.