yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. samina

samina Well-Known Member

there's a charming "dear diary" aspect to this thread, lol.

fasc, your last report was wonderful. :)
  2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

thanks...i so enjoyed CCM's that I decided the least I could do was give it a bit more thought
  3. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

The dear diary thing is what I'm enjoying. People do such interesting things, and they're so different from mine.
    Fasc manages a schedule that would drive me to drink, and also negotiates family issues with great style (that last post from her was splendid).
    CCM's posts have awakened all kinds of memories in me, of the days when I was an academic in a university, and I get vicarious thrills reading about her interactions with her child, something I've never done.
    Don't laugh, but etp commutes -- I gave that up long ago, and with enough time away, even getting on a train every day to go to work sounds interesting.
    Some posters are students, and some from other countries, and that's all v. cool.

Funny, how the life you think is same old, same old, someone else finds interesting.
  4. j_alexandra

Yesterday was the true crash and burn day. Have finally given up the show, as Spouse calls it; all the tensions and physical demands have been resolved. This usually takes a day and happens two days after we get home, but this time, it took two-and-change days b/c we spent three days working catchup after we got back and I'm not as young as I used to be; 12 days on the road wipes me out, physically and mentally.

I got up late, fed cat, fed Spouse, made bed, didn't even get dressed until around 10:30, went to supermarket.
    That was the sum total of my activity for the day. Oh, also made lunch and dinner. Big deal.
    The rest of it was spent browsing, reading, sitting on my father's porch looking at the river, hanging out with BFF and her beautiful daughter, who's prepping for the prom and had to show off her dress and Shoes. Those are Serious Shoes. I'm jealous. Nice to have some girl face time.
    in bed by 9:45.
    (yawn, stretch)

5. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

I too have really enjoyed reading about everyone's days.

The way we are sharing our days reminds me of something Virginia Woolf said in "Mr. Bennett and Mrs. Brown." She argued that life is not just about the big events, and that fictions shouldn't just be about big plot events. Life is about the texture of Monday and Tuesday and all the impressions that enter our mind. As she put it:

"Examine for a moment an ordinary mind on an ordinary day. The mind receives a myriad impressions--trivial, fantastic, evanescent, or engraved with the sharpness of steel. From all sides they come, an incessant shower of innumerable atoms; and as they fall, as they shape themselves into the life of Monday or Tuesday, the accent falls differently from of old....Life is not a series of gig-lamps symmetrically arranged; life is a luminous halo, a semi-transparent envelope surrounding us from the beginning of consciousness to the end. Is it not the task of the novelist to convey this varying, this unknown and uncircumscribed spirit, whatever aberration or complexity it might display, with as little mixture of the alien and external as possible?"

It seems to me we are trying to write about the shower of innumerable atoms that make up our lives.

[And I swear by all that is holy, if I lose this post again, there is going to be a shower of bad words!]
  6. ChaChaMama

j_alexandra, your Sunday sounds delicious!

Here's mine.

6:38--Child wakes me up. Oh, man, it's going to be a rough day. Only 6 hours of sleep.
    Go make cold cereal.
    Visit websites.

We read. Child has received huge Scholastic book order, with lots of books about animals.

Child goes to check on baby birds. Problem: two baby birds are out of the nest, on the deck of the playset. They are alive, but definitely helpless to get back in.

Internet research. Turns out the it is just a myth that if you touch a bird, the Mommy will reject it, and birds actually have a very poor sense of smell. First choice is always to let the Mom deal with it, but if that doesn't work out, it is okay to return baby to nest.

9ish--Child visits 9-year-old friend's house and tells her about the baby bird situation.

Child returns. 9-year-old was still in pjs having breakfast! What??? You mean some people sleep later than 6:38 on a Sunday? Amazing.

We read.

10:30--I work on a white hoodie I bought child with a bleach pen. Scrub, scrub, scrub. When we were visiting my Mom on Mother's Day weekend, she got child painting a tray for me for Mother's Day wearing said white hoodie, and of course there is now red paint on it. My Mom sprayed it and put it through the wash. Still red paint on it. I've done the same. Nope, problem not fixed. It annoys me so much--probably more than it should--but this was the FIRST time child had worn it. WHY couldn't she have been changed into something more suitable before red paint was brought out?

10:45--Child and I have a "read out." (This is child's word for when two or more people read together.) First, we read to ourselves, but I keep laughing, so child gets me to read The Lightning Thief out loud to her. It is the first volume in Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson and the Olympians series. Child has already read the whole five book series. I'm on Book 1.)

12--Lunch.

1--Child again tries to see what neighborhood kids might want to play. Stops by bird's nest and very bravely takes on returning baby birds to the nest all by herself.

2-3:28--Nap. I need it.

3:28--I wake up to message machine picking up call from sister. Groan. I am so groggy.

Walk downstairs making little moany, growly noises.

3:47--Start making dinner. New recipe for me from WW Magazine, Lemon Chicken with Potatoes.

Child comes in crying. Two 5th grade neighbor boys are messing up her fort! Husband goes out to help her negotiate the situation. They arrive at an understanding that they will all build fort together, and no one will mess up anyone else's work.

An adult neighbor comes by. Child is exceptionally charming and polite to her and her dog. Husband is very proud.

4:15--Husband and child go to grocery store.

4:30--It's in the oven!

Unload and reload dishwasher.

5:15--Dinner. Hey, it turned out very nicely! Husband really likes it. OMG, child really likes it and has seconds! Child almost never tries anything new, so this is huge.

5:55--Leave for local mall to get a new lined album in which to record our family's favorites and least favorites. (This is our nightly ritual.)

6:10--Fail. Mall is closed.

7:15--Child's bath.

7:30--Record favorites and least favorites on a piece of paper, and I will transfer the list when we get the album.

We also do a Sunday night ritual where we name things we are grateful for this week. A lot of gratitude about Mommy Bird building her nest on our playset, and about the baby birds being born. I am grateful that child is so kind to animals, that child's dance recital costumes are so adorable, that we got to visit Hersheypark, that I've been able to take lessons with Nik for 14 mos.

8:30--Child is supposed to sleep, but says she can't because she can't think up a good "Star Wars" sleep story.

8:40--Child is out like a light.

9:15--Call back sister.
    Call best friend to tell her about the preposition song and to check to make sure she got allergy testing done. She is with (ex-?)girlfriend, so only talk about 10 mins.

9:40--Spend some time on computer, read some more Lightning Thief. Promise self I will go to bed really early, like 10:30. Or 11.

11:30--Go to bed.
  7. j_alexandra

I am reminded yet again why I don't like Woolf. For me, the whole point of the novel is not the examination of the ordinary mind on the ordinary day. Yes, she's right that life is an incessant shower of innumerable atoms, and you're absolutely right that we here on this thread are writing about them. To me, that's journalism, or biography, or, as Sam said, Dear Diary. And it's lovely in itself. But we on this thread are not writing novels. Without something rich and strange, new and engaging, a novel is flat and tasteless and not Novel, and for me, the novelist's task is very much to include and expand on the alien and external.

BTW, your final sentence had more life in it, and was more interesting, than all of Mrs. Dalloway or To The Lighthouse.

(We should probably take this discussion offlist; I can feel other people glazing over already. But thanks for the chance to put my English Lit hat back on.)
  8. fascination

awake at 8

spent nearly a half an hour writing out my "yesterday's activities" on DF

intended to practice but did not have the energy

chatted with dh brriefly but he was already deep into the chicago trib and the new york times

off to the drug store to pick up the following, 3 vitamin supplements (which I forget to pick up, btw)
    some spoilin' gear for my nephew to enjoy at the immmanent family gathering (the standard cheap stuff, bubbles, varieties of stuff you play catch with, crayons and coloring books, stickers..bought quite a bit b/c I didn't know who would be there)
    went tanning b/c a comp is coming and they are closed today, some cute containers for the ham and chicken salad that I made so that I didn't have to ask for those at a later time, plus they would make a nice hostess gift for my dad's new wife....

came home and made the chicken salad, and searched for the remnants of the crackers that I bought which were intended for this day but were obviously discovered by someone who needed to eat them...

got dressed ate a bite, had a glass of wine even though it was early (this is my family we are going to visit, bear that in mind)

arrived at outdoors gathering, only the second time in a year that I have been to my father's new home...long story ...will save those details...things went as smoothly and cordially as they could and folks endeavored to put whatever diappointments aside in order to send the primary message that they love each other...nephew and other little girl who was there enjoyed the goodies...I was happy b/c that is exactly what my mom would have done...we begged out with no argument about an hour after my brother left ...tired and stuffed ....it was a beautiful day to be outdooors and I was glad to see my dad happy, albeit with strangers with whom he is now closer than he was with us...shrug...it's okay...finally...mostly

home around 4pm again, it gets fuzzy here...procrastinated by df-ing and having a cup of coffee, and starting some laundry...then forced myself to go for a jog...could only do one lap instead of 3...understood that my body didn't really care how much I ate or how much I want to lose...it just wasn't going to go for a jog today...nope...

went home and df-ed a bit more then interruppted by son who was bored again, had a long chat with son who then was happy to back to some other sedentary solitary activity

then it was time to practice...today it was cha routines and some corrections to my locks, swing routines and then some rounds of the standard not as focused as they should have been but still glad I worked on them...mostly focusing on heels turns and lowering and turning from the lower body

after practice we got around to the family game(a disney interactive game that someone bought us for christmas), dh won which deepend dtr's silent sulking... my understanding is that dh intends to have a talk with her tonight, which is dangerous b/c I will be in Indy...have put son on the mission to monitor situation

after game retired to have nice moments with dh.........

after that nice talk with sone again and some Df...dtr was already getting ready for marching band today , b/c she marches in the memorial day parade...she is flitting past me as I type wanting to make certain that we get there in here highly anal retentive degree of early which I cannot fault her for b/c she gets that from me...

dfed a bit, hugged everyone good night and went to bed...slept poorly and shouldn't have...shrug...very annoying b/c I have in-laws early in the day and then multiple back to back lessons...oy...gonna have a nightcap tonight....then will be off df until tues eve...so glad to finally be back to my regular lesson schedule after 3 weeks of alternate plans
  9. j_alexandra

Oh, how I loved those huge Scholastic orders! That sent me right back to grade school, thinking about it!

<snip>

I was guilty of this more times than I care to remember. The new clothes are *always* the ones that get the paint/jelly/mustard/mud. Always.

I'm jealous of your reading with child. Sounds so lovely.

<snip>

Is that in a recent issue? I'll have to look it up. Sounds delicious.

<snip lovely Sunday rituals>

That sounds like a great Sunday. Birds, dogs, neighbors, fort, books, cooking, family: lovely!
  10. fascination

off to take dtr to band...cannot wait to come back and read about everyone's day!!! whoever started this thread was just a genius :)
  11. j_alexandra

Fasc wrote:

"intended to practice but did not have the energy"

You could have just repeated that for the whole of Sunday, for me. Today, however, I am already dressed to go to the gym, and as soon as I can get the aerobics floor to myself, I'm there (in about an hour. Yay.)
  12. j_alexandra

Indeed!:wink:
  13. ChaChaMama

May-June issue, page 139.
  14. j_alexandra

Thanks! I'll look it up if they still have the issue on the shelf at this week's meeting.

Hope it was as delicious as it sounds.
  15. soshedances

soshedances Active Member

This thread is so much fun to read!

6:30--Alarm rings. Grumble, grumble, shut it off. Doze in and out for next half an hour

7:05--Conscience gets the best of me, get up, shower

7:25--It's cold (ish) and looks like it's threatening to rain. Trade cute skirt for dress pants.

7:42--Leave for church, Mom not happy "I told you to be ready at 20 till!!"

8:03--Rush into church, Mass not started yet, no worries Mom! Lovely service, though A/C on really high. Have goosebumps in spite of switch to dress pants.

9:15--Leave church, discover that it's raining and we should have walked out the other door. Clothes now speckled with rain from dash to car, but feel re-freshed.

9:30--Check email, df, other random internet surfing.

10:00--Decide to stop wasting time. Feel ambitious, so clean and organize room, which has become a mess in move from university-->home. Only bad thing about university...feel like I'm constantly shuffling stuff back and forth. Sort/put away/organize/get rid of crap until room is nice again.

12:00--Feeling quite pleased with self, wander to kitchen in search of food. Consume Saturday night's leftovers...still just as good.

1:00--Swap dress pants for shorts, throw book/iPod in purse, leave for parade! Yay!

1:30--Drop brother+band uniforms+several drums and harnesses off at parade start point. Park car, walk to perfect parade-viewing spot.

2:00--Watch parade and parade-watchers, kids are so cute picking up candy thrown from various tractors and floats. Visit with Mom's side of family. Chat with old high-school teacher who still recognizes me, even after several years, now has brother in math class.

3:00--Pick up brother from end of parade route and discover that someone's gum (probably fresh from one of the parade floats) is stuck to my shoe. Manage to scrape it off (no harm done to shoe, yay), then collect brother+band uniforms+drums and harnesses.

3:30--Chill at home, check computer, watch random tv.

4:00--Grandparents arrive, we sit outside, chat, consume chips and salsa. They good-naturedly tease me about lack of boyfriend, hey, I'm not pleased with that situation either! Working on it...

5:00--Grandmother arrives with more food for grill. Brother's girlfriend arrives shortly after, we all consume chips and continue good-natured teasing.

5:30--Help Mom set up food, OMG so many good things to eat! Am thankful.

5:45--Eat waay too much good food, watch as rain threatens to ruin picnic, we set up canopy over picnic table, umbrella, and everybody. Then eat more, Mom has giant brownie she made which is delicious.

6:30--Thunder and lightning, uh oh! Move festivities inside, put away leftover food, still so much!

7:00--Grandparents all head out, many hugs and kisses passed around. Settle on couch with brother and his g/f, watch House marathon. I feel smart, can recognize stuff I learned this semester being used on the show (even if they break lots of rules).

10:00--Retire to (clean!) room, check computer again, watch a little more tv.

11:00--Sleep.
  16. etp777

etp777 Active Member

hahah J, the commute is mostly just a place to nap or read for me, but will say even it can be interesting at times. You see a view of the towns that you can't see normally. Stuff that you never see on regular street/sidewalks shows up when you're looking out from the train. Like the little "nesting place" that some homeless person has made behind a factory (I think) in between a couple stations. Never see it from road or sidewalk, but someone's home there. Or the various cmopanies that used to have their own rail sidings before trucks took over shipping.
  17. j_alexandra

Yesterday:

up at 5:15
    made coffee, fed cat
    banana/tea/water
    started website update
    PBJ on wheat
    to supermarket
    to gym! At last! To Practice! Yay!
    home to grill Spouse a steak for lunch on this spectacularly
    beautiful day, as per request
    grill isn't getting hot; whazzup with that? oh, yeah, it helps to turn the gas on fully
    steak and a baked prepped and served to applause and scarfing sounds, waving of bones, general moaning
    start grilling massive kickline of chicken legs
    phone call from old buddy; he and wife are in the area, c'mon by!
    vodka and/or Scotch all around; so much for the rest of my productive afternoon
    oops; chicken legs are burning; crispy critters not my fave, caught them in time
    old buddy's computer has died, so now my old iBook has a new home
    discovered how long it takes to secure-delete 35,000 old document files from old iBook (final assessment: around 12 hours)
    extract promise from old buddy (who is professional photographer, currently unemployed) to take pix of my new dresses w/me in them
    b'bye now, and come pick up laptop tomorrow, after it's chewed through all those files
    3pm: start grilling veg (tomatoes, scallions, zucchini, yellow squash, asparagus, eggplant) for tomorrow's lunch w/workout group
    oops forgot to salt eggplant
    4pm still grilling; my, this takes forever
    4:30 start grilling eggplant; is it supposed to come out leathery?
    back to updating website
    bored with updating; oh, look, df!
    Spouse has a chicken leg for dinner; I have Creative Leftovers around 6
    more updating
    get phone call from big brother; old friend is very ill, in fact dying, of neurological disease
    reflect that on even the most beautiful of days, not everyone is able to enjoy it the way I can; have a gratitude moment
    more updating
    df
    cat insists I make the bed and get in it; I comply with part 1, not part 2
    watch YT of Joanna Leunis at WSS, doing rumba walks; when I grow up, will I be able to do that? watch it again&again
    finally give in and call it a day at 10; cat is pleased to have her bedwarmer back

18. ChaChaMama

j_alexandra--Very sorry to hear about old friend.

My Monday:

7:15ish--Up. Spouse got up super-early thanks to cat, so he intercepted child.
    Cold cereal.
    Visit websites.
    Get dressed.

9:15--Leave for sister's house.

10:10--Arrive sister's house.
    Play with sister's boyfriend's dog, Stanley, a golden lab. Child passionately loves Stanley and calls him her best friend. She wears his picture in a locket around her neck.
    Child builds sheet fort in sister's living room.
    Socialize a bit with sister's boyfriend when he comes home for about 1/2 hr, and with his friend.
    Child plays toys.
    Take Stanley on walk.
    Go out to eat at Atlanta Bread.

1:20--Leave for home.

2:20--Arrive home. Putz a bit, visit websites.

3--Borders Express to pick up blank lined books.

3:30--Work, briefly. Write on Virginia Woolf. ;) Focus specifically on Peter Walsh stalking young woman after leaving Clarissa's.

5--Home. Early dinner. Get dressed.

5:30--Leave for Towson.

6:15--Arrive Towson. Warm up by doing some rumba walks.

6:30-7:15--Nik lesson!
    Discuss why I sometimes lose footing when Nik rotates a rotational figure more than what I am used to, particularly when he throws in crazy figures I don't know in jive. Really interesting! Turns out my instinct is to step too much, taking lots of little steps, and what I need to do is stay over supporting foot longer.
    Spend most of lesson working on basic cha-cha chasse to the side. Lots of technical information.

7:15-7:55-Talk with Nik.
    7:55-8--Watch Natasha try to save an injured bird.
    Get M+Ms at convenience store.

8-8:45--Home.

8:50--Favorites and least favorites.

9:10--Look up stuff about Millennium Ball, which is suddenly a possibility.

Best friend calls! (Guess I'm not going to work out tonight, but okay.) Talk about everything. I tell her child news, and dance news, and sister news, and about a wedding I'm going to where I was invited and husband wasn't. She tells me about the three family bar/bat mitzvahs she has to go to this month, and about girlfriend who has just gone through chemo and is about to start radiation, and about her mother recently breaking her hip. She encourages me to do Millennium.

11:30--Bed.
  19. fascination

up early to take dtr to high school marching band for reharsal before parade

home to finish cleaning house and getting some appetizers out for in-laws....

quick walk w/dh over to the soccer field to hear the marching band...bizzare that I have to drive dtr 20 minutes to the high school only to have her bused back here for the parade

in car by 11:30 to indy by 3... practiced for one hour, lessons for three more hours

hobbled into ruby tuesday's around 730 indy time...consume crab cake and buffalo shrimp washed down with massive quantities of water and white zin....

hobble over to hotel...get in bed and apply massive quantities of bengay to almost everything from the waist down... watch a bit of some fashion show on bravo and am out at some fairly early time, only to awaken around 5am to re-apply bengay, shoot down down advil, and sleep a bit more before heading back to the studio for round II today
  20. j_alexandra

up 5ish
    no lesson today :sad: so have crammed appts in for the whole morning
    to UPS to ship stuff early
    to gym
    home to meet insurance appraiser, which takes much, much longer than I thought
    old buddy comes to pick up old iBook
    appraiser is still here
    appraiser is still here when 3rd appt shows, my builder and the wife & adorable baby
    appraiser finally leaves
    spend time with builder et al; wife has just returned from Belgium with a giant stash of the world's best chocolate for me
    I love her deeply
    the baby was cute, too, and I am not baby people
    they leave; I feed spouse, then off to lunch with the workout group
    this ends up involving getting charcoal to heat up, not one of my talents/skills; it's a good thing one of us was an actual eagle scout, and I turn over charcoal duties to him
    cooking, drinking wine, eating, drinking wine, talking, drinking wine
    got and gave massage; woo hoo
    home to feed Spouse
    email/website/df
    creative leftovers
    watched dvd of group classes taught by my teacher's wife/partner; she has ridiculously good technique in rhumba, maybe it will rub off on me
    maybenot
    cat insists I sleep; I comply