yesterday's activities

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by fascination, May 10, 2009.

1. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

as i alluded to in last post ;

awake at 5am to re-apply bengay, tossed and turned til 9, gave up, and flicked on tv to watch cnn coverage of the new justice nomination...sip anemic hotel room coffee and wonder how I am going to get through another 4 hours at the studio

10:30; head to bank to cash checks which will promptly be handed over to pro then over to chipotle for brunch@ 11...then pick up an iced tea elsewhere and head to studio

11:30 to 4; at studio either practicing or taking lessons which were entirely rhthym and latin today...boooo...watched pro's showcase routines with his dtr...WOW

drive home and get home around 5:30 (different time zone btwn indy and nwin...lol...all times are local times to wherever I am ;))

touch base with dtr and all that I have missed about her life since leaving monday morn and then scarf down something lean from a cardboard box

catch up on df and watch rachel and keith

8:30 dtr and dh return from dtr's flute lesson so I catch up with dh while munching crackers and cheese and drinking wine

tad bit more df and then out cold til morning...and am blessedly, not as sore as yesterday

2. ChaChaMama

ChaChaMama Well-Known Member

Fascination--So you get 3 hours of lessons plus practice one day, and another 3 hours of lesson plus practice the next? WOW! I'm so envious. Sometimes, I manage to have 3 lessons in a week plus practice when gearing up for an immanent comp. Most weeks, it's just one lesson by self, one with CCP.

My Tuesday:

6:30--Up. It's supposed to be husband's morning to get up with child, but he was lightly snoring and I couldn't sleep anyway, so I do it.
    Cold cereal.
    Oh great. No internet.
    Get dressed, hair, lunches all around.

8--Husband wakes up. :rolleyes:

8:20--Drop child at school.

8:35--Yikes, it is COLD outside! Does this have to do with world climate change? Because this has been a ridiculous spring, way too many cold days.
    Briefly DF and check e-mail from school office, b/c they do have internet.

9-3--SEMINAR FOR TEACHERS OF SOPHOMORE INTERDISCIPLINARY SEMINARS. I'm doing it both for professional enrichment and--to be honest--because there is a $750 stipend for attending, and that's more dance money.

Wow, we look like an awesomely diverse, AA/EOE faculty based on this gathering.
    23 faculty members present.
    -18 women, 5 men. (UM--unheard of! Faculty here, as at most colleges and universities, is majority male.)
    -4 African or African-American faculty, 19 white.
    -5 international faculty.
    -3 out of the closet lesbians.
    -Majority of faculty are associate professors or below. Only 3-4 full professors...and I am one of them!
    But lest we pat ourselves on the back too much, this is NOT representative of the faculty as a whole. This is representative of the type of people who come to a workshop on interdisciplinary teaching. And that's a slightly more sobering thought.

9:30-10:30--Guest Speaker #1, from University of South Carolina.

9:40--It occurs to me WHY Guest Speaker #2 looks so familiar. One of his kids is in my child's class at school. Gosh, that was really bugging me!

11-12--Guest Speaker #2, Steve Gimbel from Gettysburg College. He is just EXCELLENT! So bright, so clever, so witty! He has the most interesting things to say about science education, and why interdisciplinary courses involving the sciences are so vital.

12:15-1--Lunch break.
    I run to Safeway to pick up my b.c. pills. Get there.
    PHARM TECH: (Looking at computer) It says it's too early for you to get more. You last picked them up on April 27.
    ME: But it's a 28 day pack.
    PHARM TECH: You picked up a 3 month supply.

So now I feel like an idiot. It was actually husband who picked them up for me, but he DID tell me he got 3 months and that it was expensive. (Not as expensive as another kid, though!)

Sit in car enjoying warmth, because building where sem is is SOOOO cold.

1-2--Talks by people who run the SIS program on campus.

2-3--Discussion.

3-3:20--Chit chat with colleagues.

3:30--Home.
    Snack.
    Internet working!!!
    Try to write lengthy e-mail to Nik. Lose it. Internet not working. Insert foul language here.

5--Take daughter to Performing Arts Connection to buy TAN tap shoes and jazz shoes for recital. Not black. Tan. Succeed in getting tan jazz shoes, but need to special order the tap shoes. They have them in sizes too big and one pair that is too small, but not a child's 12.

6--Dinner and re-write e-mail to Nik. It goes this time!

7--Child's bath and bedtime ritual. Read some more of The Lightning Thief.

9:30--Run on treadmill. Continue reading The Lightning Thief.
    Shower.
    Spend some time on computer. FB mamboqueen.

11:30--Bed.

3. j_alexandra

j_alexandra Well-Known Member

I assume you have stock in this company? :wink:

mmm, yum. Sometimes the box is indistinguishable from what's inside. mmmm. yum.:nope: and after all that hard work on rhythm and latin, too! hope the cheese, crackers, and wine were better...
    <snip>

Apparently, bengay is a miracle drug. I will keep it in mind. Hope you're feeling less sore!

4. j_alexandra

The things we do for more dance money. I have a jar of quarters. I'm amazed how it adds up.

LOL I know the feeling well. Cursing the computer/cable evokes creative foul language, not just "gosh durn it."

Wouldn't it be nice to have 4 hours of lessons a week? Mmmm, 4 hours. <envies fasc> I have two, and a group class. Then again, I don't have to drive hours to my lessons. So everything's got compensations.

5. etp777

etp777 Active Member

Breakfast
    Train
    Work
    Studio for practice
    work
    Studio for lesson on cha showcase (TIRED AND SORE)
    Train
    Other studio to drop off Stagekat's DVD, say hi to friends
    Grocery store for "sushi"
    home
    Eat said sushi and sip some reisling with tv on in background
    sleep

6. j_alexandra

up 5ish
    feed cat/spouse
    tea/water/banana
    website/email/df
    shower
    Rolfer! Yay! worked on feet! YAYAYAY! also on annoying elbow pain; he said the dreaded words "tendonitis" and "inflamed bursa" which I do not wish to hear; resolved to lift no more heavy items with inflamed elbow (the mental image of an inflamed elbow is somehow laughable, or would be, if it didn't hurt)
    had a cuppa with old buddy in old hangout diner and caught up on local gossip
    got something REALLY GREAT in the mail
    took beloved car to body shop oops forgot something
    went back to body shop, this time with estimate from insurance adjuster
    had fun conversation with body shop guy, who turns out to be a local, too, and we revived old high school team rivalries (locals kind of an endangered species, the area's grown a lot since I was a kid)
    made appt to bring beloved car in next week
    bought mulch, sage, and basil and was amazed how many 3-cu.ft.bags of mulch can fit in the back of a 2-door Civic
    note to self: plant sage and basil before leaving for ohio this morning
    to supermarket. Hey, who's bumping me with his cart? Oh! my favorite maitre d', who is also the best flirt in the area (this was unusually crude for him, he's much smoother than that). He also didn't have enough cash for his purchases; lent him $2.11, which I think is hilarious. He atoned by carrying my stuff to my car for me. I am a sucker for men who will do for me things I am perfectly capable of doing myself. <swoon>
    minor pre-lesson lunch: long-term fuel: protein, protein, and more protein and leafy green veg
    finish another website update and post it
    printed out website for spouse to correct
    got emergency phone call from fellow dancer: she's at the studio but has locked herself out of the car, and can I please give her a ride from studio to home and back so she can get her spare keys? ride accomplished, and heard all about her daughter's softball team triumphs and tragedies
    2:30 pm pre-lesson short-term fuel: carbohydrates
    time to warmup
    3pm: lesson, first time in a week, and Teach was making up for lost time; was a truly splendid hour and wished it would never end. One like that compensates for a whole lot of bummer lessons.
    came home; fed Spouse; was unable to come down off post-lesson cloud 9 so graciously permitted local Japanese restaurant to ply me with delicious tidbits rather than staying home and eating leftovers. Restaurant owner is a ballroom dancer, so this place has the strangest muzak for a Japanese restaurant: instead of koto, mushy string orchestras playing foxtrots, waltzes... love it
    it just now occurs to me that I know a number of restauranteurs; hmmm, what does that mean?
    dfed/online shopping/email
    zzz 10pm

7. fascination

up at 6 to the gym from 7:30 -11:15...yes I worked out the entire time

quick trip to the tanning salon then a contentious trip to the bmv (is there any other kind?) b/c they didn't give my daughter a document she needed and now we are in a time crunch and must have it ("I'm sorry maam your dtr may have to come back in and get her learner's permit all over again"....NOT)

off to lunch with one of my favorite friends who is about my mom's age...she is from my old neighborhood and was raising her grandchildren at the same time that my kids were little...I love her so much.... she is such a dear sweet woman

got home df-ed and took a nap

up at 3 and back to the gym by 4-5:30 more workout w/dtr this time

6:30 call from a friend ...do I want to go out for dinner?...what the heck...same place as lunch but hey, I have TWO friends...cool

home at 8:30 recieved cool gushy email, df-ed and fb-ed...tried to be coherant for a brief chat when dh got home late from work...crashed by 9:30

8. ChaChaMama

6:45--Up
    Cold cereal to child.
    Dressed, hair.
    Husband made lunches and took her to school because he was one of the drivers for their field trip, to a nature center. (Some field trips they rent a bus, but for others, they have parents drive.)

8:45--I leave for Day 2 of seminar.

9-3--DAY 2 OF SOPHOMORE INTERDISCIPLINARY SEMINAR PROFESSOR SHIN-DIG.

9:30-10:30--They pair us up and have us chat with someone we don't normally co-teach with. We are assigned to talk about our personal lives (!), then our research interests, then classes we could potentially teach together. I get paired up with a French professor who just finished her first year at the college. I really like her! She's originally from Martinique, did her doctorate at U.VA. Turns out we have a ton in common, research-wise. She works on hot male bodies/machismo in Francophone Carribbean literature, I work on male bodily failure as a metaphor for national decline in British literature and culture. We could easily work up something on bodies, sexuality, nationalism, and imperialism. As if that isn't cool enough, the actual interdisciplinary sem she is planning is on DANCE as a site of resistance. So of course we talk about what kinds of dance we do and I show her photos from Philly.

Get a nice compliment from her too. She says almost right off the bat "Do you work out?" She says she's used to seeing me in suits, but when she saw me in a tee and jeans yesterday, she thought I looked so toned.

10:45-11:20--Work with my actual course partners on revising our course. I like them very much too! We were supposed to be given more time to do this, but we're off schedule. I read them some poetry I hope to add to the course, from E-mails from Scheherazad by Mohja Kahf, a Syrian-American poet. They love my choice. We talk about trying to Jane Mayer to speak.

11:30-12--Group sharing.

12-1--Lunch

1-2:45--Writing seminar. Although I teach writing, this actually winds up being useful. Another seminar actually articulated a specific GOAL for each writing assignment. We might experiment with that. We have also already decided to put in more low-stakes assignments, and there was a lot of talk about the importance of these. We share about the grading rubric we used (which I wrote), and people are very interested and want copies.

2:50--We're out early! I feel like going home, but make myself go to the library to pick up an ILL (interlibrary loan) book.

3--Check out internet sites, briefly.

3:15-4:15--Do a little writing on Woolf. I make the argument that by marrying, Clarissa and Sally abandon their lesbian passion and are initiated into a new relationship to material culture, where they are responsible for purchasing and maintaining bourgeois homes. This is part of my ongoing argument that in Mrs. Dalloway, shopping has displaced sex.

4:30--Home. Child has 4th grade friend over.
    Letter from college. Looks official. Yes, it is. Although there are no raises this year due to the economy, I am getting a $2000 bump in acknowledgement of my promotion to Full Professor. I'll take it. I'm still a bit shy of 75K, and if it were a good year, my salary would definitely have crested past that with this promotion, but I think of people I know who have had to take pay cuts, mandatory furloughs, or lost their jobs. Yeah, this is fine!

4:50--Go to make dinner, a White Bean Salad. Problem: recipe calls for two hard-boiled egg whites. As of this morning, there were 4 hb eggs in the fridge, and child took one for her lunch. Why is there only one now? Turns out husband took two for his lunch. I start hard-boiling eggs. This is going to take a little longer than I thought! And these are farm fresh eggs, from a local farm, which usually don't hard boil well unless you let them sit a few days.

5:35--Done. Eat.
    Spend some time on computer. Child is watching a "Star Wars" movie.

6:45--Child and husband are having a big fight about cleaning up. Really, guys? Is this necessary?

7:15--Child has bath. Child and husband make up.

7:30--Bedtime ritual.

8:15--I call Nik. Get machine.

8:45ish--Do about 15 mins of ballroom practice. I just work on side cha-chas, and on trying to implement the corrections I got last time.

9ish--Jump on treadmill. Finish reading Rick Riordan's The Lightning Thief, and read some of "Newsweek," including an interesting piece on the placebo effect.

9:15ish--Nik calls back, but I don't hear phone go b/c treadmill is loud.

10:15ish--Nik also e-mailed. We'll talk tomorrow (now today). I e-mail back.

10:45--Jump in shower.

11:30--Bed.

9. ChaChaMama

Fasc--So inquiring minds want to know: what do you do during the almost 4 hour workout?

J_alexandra--What did you get in the mail???
    Love to hear more about the awesome lesson too.

10. fascination

bear in mind that I teach fitness...but yesterday

7:30-I walked and warmed up for half an hour then;
    8--I took a basic step class on a bench w/ 8 inch risers to get warm and be able to workout without worrying about teaching at ..
    9--I then taught a step two interval class (step on an 8 inch bench with intervals of toning )
    10-- I taught zumba for an hour...

went back at 4 pm to teach and hour of basic step coupled with a half an hour of toning...

11. Stillharbor

Stillharbor New Member

Yesterday, I try to keep order of about 50+ students playing on water slides on our parking lot for the end of the end party. While at the same time having fun myself. Evidence of fun?--I'm sunburned 2 days before our studio showcase and so sore, lifting my legs is not fun. :roll:

I also learned a totally new rumba routine in 45 minutes to perform at the Friday showcase. Nothing like waiting at til the last minues. But the plus side is, I impressed my teacher and myself. Woo Hoo!!!!! :rocker:

12. j_alexandra

holy cow! I'm exhausted just reading this. Have to take a nap. fingers can barely type....zzz

Seriously, I wish I had your energy.

13. samina

samina Well-Known Member

no kidding...

14. j_alexandra

The mail provided the perfect smooth dress. Perfect. :grin:

Which led to the splendid smooth lesson, since I had to run the perfect smooth dress by the perfectionist teacher. Dress went on me: I turned on like a klieg light; Teach is always on (except when he's not, but we don't acknowledge those moments), and let's just say there was a lot of candlepower burning in that studio. It's not that I could do no wrong; it's that the wrong I did felt so much better, was fixed so much faster, and then the next challenge came faster and harder and it was just great.

<fizz fizz bubble bubble>

15. fascination

you will note that I take a nap every single day

16. fascination

almost exactly four years ago to the day, I walked into my studio and tried on my first comp dress (a violet dress with a white collar) I was about 195 pounds that day and pro didn't really like the dress, but, for me, it was a very special moment, the moment I began to dream of what I could be someday...not even knowing what that was, but knowing it would involve dance....a special moment seared into my brain (at the risk of sounding melodramatic)....I have a new gown as well...gush, gush, drool(seriously thought about starting a gown gushing thread)...and I still get that feeling when I put a new one on ....I was given good advice early on from a friend about not underestimating how what I was wearing could effect my dancing...anyhow...bot...

17. samina

samina Well-Known Member

yep. and i admire that you do that to balance things out.

18. samina

samina Well-Known Member

ain't that the truth

19. j_alexandra

I note with envy that you take a nap every single day.

20. j_alexandra

absofreakinlutely.

is there a thread about how costuming makes you move differently? b/c if there isn't, I'm startin' one.

I have *got* to get the hang of searching. I just can't seem to get it!