Your Biggest Salsa Regrets or Mistakes

Discussion in 'Salsa' started by MonsieurSalsero, Oct 4, 2010.

1. MonsieurSalsero

MonsieurSalsero New Member

Hello Everyone,

l'm writing an ebook called 'My Biggest Salsa Regrets’ mainly coz l‘ve made a
    few and it's always helpfulto learn from others.

Would anybody be prepared to share some of their mistakes from your early
    days in learning Salsa. Maybe you are still in your early days and you have
    made a few errors along the way that you'd be prepared to share?

I will gladly included your link in the ebook from any quote/anecdote you
    can provide.

Thank you all very much.
    Kindest,
    David

2. urish

urish New Member

Hi David,

Welcome to DF. Maybe you could give us an example of what you mean in Salsa Regrets? Something like going to the wrong teacher? Or not having asked women to dance at the beginning? Stuff like that ?

3. sambanada

sambanada Active Member

Too many candidates, but they make for great memories

4. MonsieurSalsero

MonsieurSalsero New Member

Well... for instance for me one of my regrets is not taking enough classes at the beginning. I used to take a class once a week and just a couple per moth at most. Then forget about Salsa for a couple of months, then back to my few classes again. On top of that, since I knew I wasn't very good, I was afraid to ask girls to dance, which made made learning much harder. A lot of beginners, especially men, don't like to dance socially because they feel they are not very good. But this is exactly what you need to get better. You need to make more mistakes.

I guess my biggest mistake, was avoiding making mistakes!

In addition to taking more classes, I regret not joining some kind of performance group early on. Once I did this it helped to get to know people in the scene and also to practice my moves with girls I new from practice.

I regret not making a bigger effort in the beginning....

5. Some mistakes:

Not taking private lessons earlier. I originally thought of private lessons as being primarily for advanced dancers. If anything, I would now say that it's the advanced dancers (or leads anyway) who benefit the most from group lessons. Private lessons benefit everyone, regardless of the level at which their dancing, and slow learners like myself probably belong in private lessons if they can afford them.

Trying to lead things I didn't really know how to lead by sheer will power. Fortunately I stopped doing this almost immediately since the results were so ugly.

Worrying too much about how I compared to other dancers. This one is hard to avoid and I still do it sometimes. It may be inevitable, but it's also very unhelpful.

6. wiseman

wiseman New Member

My biggest Salsa regret is wasting time taking classes at sub-par dance schools. Here I am in NY and I decided to be a cheapskate and take classes in Queens instead of NYC. And now here I am, 5 months into my dancing and starting all over trying to learn the right way and trying to correct the messy technique (or lack of technique, thereof) that was taught at my old studio. I'm paying for it real good now!!

7. jennyisdancing

jennyisdancing Active Member

Ditto....not just for salsa, either. It's really hard for newbies, if they don't already know anyone in the dance scene who can recommend a good studio. Most people will just pick whichever place is cheapest and most convenient, and unless you luck out, you'll probably end up having to switch studios and relearn things. :(

It's not like some other hobbies. I think it's more likely to know a friend who could recommend a golf pro, personal trainer, or maybe a music teacher. Most people don't know any dance teachers, at least not for partner dancing. If they know of any dance schools, it's the ballet/jazz/tap studios that cater only to kids.

8. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Active Member

Taking myself too seriously and being too critical of partners. Being too afraid to ask the good dancers who would challenge me.

9. urish

urish New Member

Not learning how to get the rhythm of the music earlier. After three months of dancing I was already able to perform complicated routines during the lessons. At the party, however, when the music kicked in - I was not even able to keep in timing with the basic step, and every time I tried even the slightest variation I was just too confused I immediately lost the beat and this made to whole experience very embarrassing.

10. matty

matty New Member

at first , the words salsa and regret seem not to belong anywhere near eachother..

but now that i think of it, i do have one regret

i have been learning salsa dance for just over a year now, and the first teacher i learned with, the moves were just not working for me. after about 10 months i decided to try another teacher and everything worked for me with this new teacher.

with the new teacher i pretty much immediatly decided to forget all i had learned and start from scratch because there were soem fundamental differences in how things were done.

though the first year did help me to get comfortable with the beats etc.. i have had to re-learn some basic footwork which is subtle but makes a big difference, i still battle with this. evidently trying to "re-learn" something seems a lot harder than simply learning something!

also because my repertoir of moves consists of far less than one years worth , i dont really like telling people i have been learning for a year because i should know more than i do after that time.

i guess my regret would be , not trying other teachers sooner. (however i didnt know that the other teacher existed at the time.. so i cant really blame myself)

11. wiseman

wiseman New Member

Matty-

I'm in the same position as you right now. However, I've only been dancing for 5 months. But for 5 months, I've been taking lessons in Queens rather than in New York City because it was cheaper and easier to commute to. The first studio I've been to was pretty obvious that it was a poor place to learn dancing, which is why I left after 3 weeks. The second studio I went to was ok (been going there for 4 months), but if you read the one guys beginning dance struggles thread in the General section, you can see that I had over 90 pages of complaints, lol. A little over a week ago, I did a lot of research and decided to take classes at the Santo Rico Dance School in Manhattan. That place is great! Ever since I joined that school, I've been beating myself up for not going there from the start. There's a lot of bad habits I've developed and I'm starting to understand why I had 90+ pages worth of issues when I was learning to dance at the old place. Probably most of my "bad habits" are due to the different styles and techniques that each school has, but I personally like Santo Rico's style better. Their technique just seems to work better. So, now I'm in the process of trying to wipe out what I learned in the past 5 months and trying to re-learn them properly! It's not easy.

12. wonderwoman

Being concerned with being better than/as good as others. The people who up until recently I'd seen as "the best" I realize are not having any fun in their dancing.

13. ExtraCrispy

ExtraCrispy New Member

Being afraid to ask the better girls for a dance when I was a total beginner.

Not learning on2 (I'm on west coast where no one teaches it, but most of the good dancers dance on2)

Not taking private lessons - don't know if it would've helped, I guess it all depends on the teacher too.

Not trying other forms of dance - esp other latin dances such as rumba, bachata. It's all about connection and rhythm, patterns can be easily adopted to different dance styles and are not the goal.

14. wonderwoman

I hate to say it, but unless they were willing to teach, and I'm betting few were, they preferred dancing at or above their level. Very little enjoyment can come out of the opposite set up, IMO.

Yes, private lessons will always help you out a lot. Do not underestimate their value. I am ten times better than I was a month ago because of taking weekly lessons.

15. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Not having as much fun as I should have. The more fun I have, the more playful I get, the better my dancing gets.

Not learning on2 still after so many years.

16. Gssh

Gssh Active Member

xxxx

17. wonderwoman

I can't believe I'm saying this but I'm regretting paying for private lessons. I got really good really fast but then living in a city with a tiny salsa scene and losing a lot of interest in dancing due to personal distractions, I have lost whatever I gained through those lessons. It's an investment and you have to consider how much you're going to be able to use what you learn. I go out and there is either not enough strong leads to get any practice or there are too many people on the floor. I have a bruise on my calf the size of a tennis ball from getting kicked a week ago. Last night I couldn't dance because without getting hit so I didn't.

18. wonderwoman

Two weeks ago I went to my regular Wednesday night place for salsa. There were a couple good leads but I wasn't excited. I was hung up on a guy and wanting him to get there. I left and passed the best salsa dancer here locally on my way out. I didn't care. Later I would find out that if I'd stayed it would have been myself and one other decent follow, and the six best leaders in the local salsa scene, hands down. They'd have been lined up to dance with me and her. It was a gift from the salsa gods and probably will never happen again.

Lesson: Go to dance and leave the drama at the door.

19. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

That sounds like such great fun from your recent dancing! Exhilarating...

20. Ray Sison

Ray Sison New Member

I think one Salsa regret is, lately, not going out and doing it even a little bit more, as in the past. (A similar sentiment that I have about Lindy.) I briefly was the backup DJ for one Salsa place--but it was a lot more fun dancing and having no worries...