Your Favorite Hot Sauce

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by DanceMentor, Aug 16, 2012.

1. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I love hot sauce, almost all kinds. I have new favorite
    Annie Chun's Go Chu Jang
    It is a Korean Sweet and Spicy Sauce (vegan too). I love it.

I'm thinking I will order a selection of different hot sauces from Amazon. Any ideas?
  2. Ice Bucket

Ice Bucket Member

Ooh, I like this thread! :D

I'm British, so my suggestions may not be accessible to you, but it's worth a try. I had some of Mr Vikki's King Naga pickle recently and that was lovely. The King Naga is currently the hottest chilli in the world, so the pickle packs a serious punch, but it has a lovely flavour. You only need a tiny bit but it's worth it. Way more than just heat. I can't post links, but Google Mr Vikki.

I've also had a really nice selection from a company called Cottage Delight, which is British but might be worth a look even from outside the UK. Little bottles, very flavourful.
  3. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

What a coincidence! Two friends and I had a discussion about hot sauce yesterday, because we're planning a breakfast burrito bar for next Wednesday, and apparently, breakfast burritos without hot sauce are unacceptable. :lol:

I'm not as much of a hot sauce person as a pickled pepper person, but I can endorse both of their choices -- Louisiana Brand and Tabasco Brand. IMO, Louisiana Brand Original Flavor tends to put flavorful before hot and Tabasco Original Flavor puts hot ahead of flavorful.

Just googled. Both companies offer their products via mail order, and both have a ton of products that I've never seen in a store.
  4. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

I have never met a hot sauce I didn't like (though I am not a big fan of the green ones)...

for a basic pepper sauce, I like cholula
    for asian food; sriracha
  5. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

My personal fave is Tabasco Chipotle.

For Asian food I typically just use crushed chilies in oil, rather than a sauce.

The sauce all depends on the amount of heat you can handle.

Pygmalion, are you good friends with Peter Piper?
  6. pygmalion

Silly man!

No. I just grew up eating red and green cherry peppers (yum,) then moved south, where they had those tiny chartreuse-colored peppers that I can't remember the name of, then I moved west, where the supermarkets shelves and produce sections are full of every pepper known to man. So I caved. What can I say? :lol:
  7. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

8. pygmalion

It's NM Hatch chile pepper season, soon, btw. They're starting to show up in stores. :-D
  9. pygmalion

And I cannot say enough good things about home-grown cayenne peppers, ripened, then strung and dried. So, so good in a pot of veggies. If you like HOT, include the seeds. If you like mild, open the pods and discard most of the seeds before you knat the pepper to the pot.

It's easier to buy the peppers already dried at the supermarket. I think the home-grown ones taste better.
  10. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

I actually just pick the hot peppers from my CSA and toss them in the freezer. When I want to use them I take them out and throw them into the pot. And here's another alternative to deseeding peppers to make them milder. ;) I would say if you like mild choose a milder pepper like Hungarian wax, hotter choose one higher on the Scottsville scale like Thai. A second option for adjusting hotness or pungency? I typically use 2 cayenne peppers in most of my dishes as a medium moderate heat that I like. If I want more heat I can add more peppers, and less I can use just one.

Cayenne peppers on the plant at my CSA.
  11. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

Sriracha is my favorite commercially available hot sauce, though closely followed by the tabasco garlic which you seem to only be able to get in certain parts of the country (though you can order it on amazon). All time favorite hot sauce is this one they had in Brazil, a peppers in oil variety. I wish I knew the particular kind of peppers so I could make my own.
  12. pygmalion

re: pickled peppers

I choose those because fresh peppers are usually a bit crisp, so the texture doesn't feel good to me, if I add fresh peppers to cooked foods, which have a softer texture than the peppers. The contrast doesn't feel good to me.

Besides, pickled peppers last forever in a bottle in the fridge, so I can have quite a variety on hand all the time. Groovy.

Could a mod please change my a$$ above to add, which is what I meant to say? lol!
  13. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

dave's instant insanity.

i have to towel off my neck and forehead afterwards, but oh so good.
  14. pygmalion

Oh! Thanks for the giggles, tsb! I googled dave's and found this website which supposedly sells the hottest hot sauces in the world.

http://www.hotsauceworld dot com/hottest-hot-sauce.html

Widow Hot Sauce: No Survivors
    Satan's Rage Hot Sauce
    Crazy Mother Pucker's Liquid Lava Hot Sauce
    Holy s*** Habanero Hot Sauce

and many more ...

These may or may not be good, but they sure are hilarious! I feel a Christmas gag gift coming on.
  15. pygmalion

Yep. You can use different types of peppers to adjust the heat. That's a really good approach, especially if you live in a place like Texas or Arizona, where there are more varieties of peppers in the supermarket than there are varieties of apples. Not kidding.

But, if you live in Minnesota or some place similar, I'm guessing that the variety might not be as broad. Tossing none, some or all of the seeds can get you to a similar place -- able to adjust the heat.

Either approach works. :cool: :)

And, since I'm insisting on hijacking this thread with pepper talk, don't underestimate flowerpot gardening of peppers. They grow beautifully as houseplants and yield plenty of peppers that you can freeze, dry or pickle for later use. :cool:

BOT I do have to say that, thanks to this thread, I will probably try Wimp Retardant X-Hot Hot Sauce and maybe even Delicious Suffering Hot Sauce.

Oh! What a hot ... errr I mean hoot.
  16. nucat78

nucat78 Active Member

Tried some stuff once that was so hot it tasted more like something out of an chemical plant than food. Don't recall the name though.

Usually keep a bottle of Cholula (sp?) or Louisiana habanero in the fridge.
  17. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

I believe that's the Scoville scale.

Have you ever been to a California Tortilla burrito joint and looked at the names of all the hot sauces on the shelves?
  18. pygmalion

The last time I was in California, I didn't pay attention.

Oh my Dear Lord J****! There's a lot of hot sauce out there! :lol:
  19. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

20. pygmalion

Since you mentioned harissa, I have friends who are gigantic fans of sc'hug (pronounced scook, in Yiddish, s combined with cook) another Mediterranean hot pepper spread. I have no idea where one would buy it, but my friends give it rave reviews.