Your Favorite Hot Sauce

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by DanceMentor, Aug 16, 2012.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Yep. Makes sense. :)
  2. Sagitta

Sagitta Well-Known Member

Sprit! :shock: Capsaicinoids are fat soluble and sprite contains carbonated water, high fructose corn syrup, citric acid, natural flavors, sodium citrate and sodium benzoate. I wonder what the sprite does. Do you have a link Pyg?
  3. pygmalion

It's all over the internet. Just google "how to tame jalapeno peppers," and you'll get all the links you need. I haven't seen any links where people claim to explain the chemistry, but there is plenty of documentation for the idea that Sprite works. *shrug*
  4. toothlesstiger

toothlesstiger Well-Known Member

The only thing there that should be specific to the sprite is the citric acid. Everything else is pretty common across all sodas (pops, tonics, whatever they call them in your neck of the woods). If you were inclined to experiment, you could try club soda, simple syrup, or lemonade, to see if any of those were as effective. ;-)
  5. pygmalion

Yes. It seems likely that citric acid is the active ingredient. Most of the recipes I found specified Sprite, but quite a few also referenced "any lemon-lime soda."
  6. Phil Owl

Phil Owl Active Member

7. toothlesstiger

OMG, my tub of korean hot red pepper paste went moldy. I can't believe anything could grow on it. I'm certainly not going to mess with anything that could grow on it...
  8. pygmalion

9. pygmalion

Nor would I. Did you have it a super long time? I ask because I've seen similar pepper pastes last months (if not years) without refrigeration. The ladies who make it just cook the bejeebers out of any possible bacteria. Short answer: I'm wondering if your pepper paste may have been undercooked.
  10. toothlesstiger

I've had it a couple of months, a little too short a time for this to happen. Looks like I will go for a different brand, next time.
  11. pygmalion

I found a bunch of the sauces mentioned here, while I was shopping today at my local Target. Who knew?

Now it's time to get adventurous.

What is a ghost pepper, btw?
  12. toothlesstiger

13. pygmalion

I guess I'll be avoiding the ghost pepper salsa, then. :D

ki was really very pleasantly surprised at the selection of pepper sauces at Target. I started out in the Tex-Mex section which was okay. The Asian food section and the condiment aisle really surprised me with the diverse selection. There were all sorts of pastes and sauces and peppers that I would never see at my local Kroger. Very cool.
  14. pygmalion

ki was surprised? Oy. I was surprised, too. That's what I get for attempting to post in the dark. My being old and decrepit and a bad typist has nothing to do with it. Honest. :D
  15. pygmalion

Somewhat random question: What makes salsa verde green? Green peppers?
  16. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

The tomatillos.
  17. pygmalion

Ahh. That makes sense. I was wondering. I didn 't think unripened peppers would be so unabashedly, vibrantly green.
  18. samina

samina Well-Known Member

I've been cooking a lot with whole fresh habaneros or japalenos -- add them to the blender with a bit of water to purify, then add to recipe. Take out seeds if you want less of a burn.

I'm basically becoming addicted to variations on a theme -- habaneros, garlic, onion and ginger blended up together and added to whatever curry I'm making. Fabulous with greek yogurt & pulverized almonds, finished with lime juice & cilantro, no additional spices necessary. Three or four habaneros are enough to really give a rush. :)
    Sagitta likes this.
  19. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

So after trying many hot sauces since I started this thread, it was Cholula and Burn Baby Burn that were my favorites after lots of taste tests
  20. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

yes...my favorite
    DanceMentor likes this.