Your Favorite Hot Sauce

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by DanceMentor, Aug 16, 2012.

1. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

IIRC, it was about four years ago, here, when everybody got rid of straight up jalapenos and replaced them with chipotle. Now it's chipotle everywhere. Chipotle is hit or miss for me. Just the peppers? Big miss. Mild chipotle mayo? Yummy. Chipotle fried chicken? Oh yuck.

But you can't escape the stuff.

2. pygmalion

Has anybody besides me tried the new sriracha potato chips? Uuuh. Hot and sweet. Not a fave for me, at least not on a chip. I will go get a bottle of the sauce when I'm at Target tomorrow, though. :)

3. mindputtee

mindputtee Well-Known Member

I just tried them today actually. They were alright, tasted a lot more like tobasco than sriracha. Not bad, but not my favorite.

pygmalion likes this.
  4. pygmalion

Completely agreed. :)

5. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Perhaps you can try dousing a bag of plain Lays with your bottle. :D

mindputtee likes this.
  6. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Nah. Chippa-chippas with A-1 is where it's at!

7. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

I'm really liking their wing sauce. We often get chicken tenders from the Publix deli on Saturdays, and I like to put Louisiana wing sauce on them and nuke them for 1-2 minutes until the sauce is sort of baked into the breading. Then I eat them with blue cheese dressing.

fascination likes this.
  8. pygmalion

Louisiana wing sauce is yummy. :) And I miss Publix. *sigh*

Aside: I was talking to a food industry marketing guy that I know recently and he said that, despite the fact that their prices aren't always competitive, Publix has some of the most loyal customers of any supermarket chain in the US. Publix stores (which are in the Southeast US) and HEB stores (which are in Central and South Texas) are similar. Prices on the high-ish side and customers who are too loyal to care. They must be doing something right. :cool:

9. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

The Publixes (Publixi?) here will take your groceries out for you, which is big with some people. And we've found that the ones here are cost-competitive with Kroger, and you don't need to sign up for any stupid data-mining card. Admittedly Wal-Mart and Target are cheaper, but the selection tends to be more limited.

10. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Sounds like the Southern version of Wegmans.

11. pygmalion

I<3 Publix. If I still lived in FL, that would be where I shopped. :)

12. DanceMentor

DanceMentor Administrator

I'm not sure I would want to try them but I found these crazy hot sauces over on Ebay:

stores.ebay.com/PickYourPepper?_trksid=p4340.l2563

I mean Habanero is pretty darn hot. I can't imagine getting hotter than that and link it.

13. tsb

tsb Well-Known Member

i've spent the last 18 months studying and sampling various asian regional cuisines and that has influenced me to move away from heat just for heat's sake seeing how spice is used to complement not just certain flavors but certain textures as well. for example you see the use of spice in conjunction with a food that has a slippery mouth feel, generally from fat but also with foods like noodles. there'a a japanese condiment called yuzu kosho (or gosho depending on how you choose to spell it) that's a citrus pepper sauce that is sometimes added to udon, or as a condiment for something like seared salmon belly (which is really fatty). i personally think yuzo kosho would even make something like shredded cardboard palatable. (BTW, yuzu is a japanese citrus fruit that's a cross between a lemon and lime, but much lighter and much less assertive/astringent.) in some chinese regional cuisine, you see red pepper or chili oil used on slippery/fatty or even chewy foods like pigs feet or beef tendon, or even cold noodle dishes, etc. but even something as simple as raw green onion/scallion has the same kind of impact when used adroitly as a topping on soups, etc. going back into western cuisine, it also seems to be common with a lot of fried/crispy textures: chips, buffalo wings, po boy sandwiches featuring deep fried seafood, etc.

Terpsichorean Clod likes this.