Your first dance teacher

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by chomsky, Aug 31, 2011.

1. danceronice

danceronice Well-Known Member

Partnership in the business sense, maybe, just not in any equal-footing competitive way. They're doing for you what you pay them for, just like they would with any other student.

Don't get me wrong, on some level I consider my teachers 'friends', at least no more or less than anyone else I know. I don't have a problem socializing, though it's not really 'done' at my current studio (which is fine, alleviates any guilt about running off to visit with my old studio. But as far as competing goes, they're my teachers, they're just doing their job.

2. JANATHOME

JANATHOME Well-Known Member

I suppose I am just getting hung up in the partnership word!
    Dont get me wrong, I do agree that this is a business partnership of sorts.

I can also agree for sure that when I use the word partnership in dance I dont think that the partnership is equal, but it does not have to. Certainly the pro is bringing more into the partnership, and that is what we pay for. The individuals of the partnership may even have different goals, while the pro's primiary goal may be to earn income, while mine is to dance successfully. And the partnership is not all inclusive, I mean that same pro is in a dance partnership with all of his students. But I still think that we are going to be judged most often as a partnership, and I think for the judges it is a given that every one of these partnerships on a pro/am floor is a purchased partnership!

I am in a LLC partnership with 3 other people of a rental property. Even though we are all general partners, our share of the profit and losses is not equal, as our contribution going in was not equal... So I may have a different view on what constitues a partnership.

3. toothlesstiger

toothlesstiger Well-Known Member

Whatever affection I have for my students, and however much they get attached to me, particularly in the area in which I was teaching, a fundamental reality is that if they don't grow past their need for me, I failed as a teacher. My greatest accomplishments were when they would become my peers, or move beyond me.

4. chomsky

chomsky Well-Known Member

what a nice thought!

5. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

I hear you doi and hear you as well, JANATHOME. I remember having had this conversation here several times, years ago, before either of you joined DF. "Partner" seems, to me, to be a loaded word for many people. There are lots and lots of different values attached to it, depending on your perspective. Eh. *shrug* Not sure I know where I stand on this one. I see validity in both points of view.

6. chomsky

this nice thought of yours made a decision grow in me today!it was like a revelation to me,many thanks!:notworth:

7. GGinrhinestones

GGinrhinestones Well-Known Member

This. Pro/am is an ironic and fascinating thing. On one side, the teacher's job is to work themselves out of a job - but honestly, how many teachers REALLY want to lose the money involved when a student outgrows them and moves on? Thankfully, for many of us students, that takes a very, very long time...but even so, I imagine it's a difficult thing to manage.

By the same token, it IS a teacher/student relationship, and a client/service provider relationship, and a hundred other "relationships" that make it inherently inequal in either direction...and it is also a partnership. On the competition floor, it's judged as a partnership - and while, as discussed previously it is one of many partnerships the pro manages with each of his/her students, and it is not the partnership a pro has with another pro (or an am with an am, for that matter), at the end of the day it is still two people on a dance floor dancing together - and if you ignore the partnership involved in that process, can we still call it "partner dancing"?

Believe it or not, this is actually still kind of on topic for me...I've been asking myself all these questions again lately with my current (and first) dance teacher...feeling a change coming and not quite sure yet how it is going to play out. The answers to these questions will determine that direction.

8. chomsky

I liked the way you put it in words. current (and first)...you woke up the linguist in me!

9. samina

samina Well-Known Member

"commitment to work together toward a common end"...partnership. so many kinds of partnership, but...partnership all the same.

arguing over "equal" is just semantics, IMO...i would hope that, though one may be providing expertise & leadership while the other is contributing an equivalent amount of energy in the form of money and effort, that still their values & personal stake in the partnership is comparable. trouble brews when that gets out of balance, because no partnership is going to achieve its goal when there's that lack of balance.

think "three-legged race". everybody in the partnership has their job to do. just cuz it's not a marriage or a professional partnership or an amateur partnership doesn't means it's not a partnership. even a three minute dance on a saturday is a wee little partnership...

10. chomsky

wow, what a nice thought this one is! and I AM repeating myself! wow! wow! this is why I so like this place!!!:notworth:

11. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Active Member

Ugh, need some advice on this front, DF'rs. I mentioned a little earlier in this thread that I didn't like how my old pro leaving was handled. Neither did several other students at the studio. (It's a franchise, he went to another studio within the system). However, I immediately went to the owners and the regional manager and said "hey, this was unprofessional." They responded satisfactorily to me, and I was pleased with the response this was early last week. NOW all the other students have decided they are up in arms and are going in with a unified front to complain about the way the leaving was handled, and they want me to "stand with them". I agree with them, but I aired my grievance and had it responded to. I don't know if I want to go and complain AGAIN. Any thoughts? I suppose it's up to me whether to be "unified" or not, but it would be nice to hear someone else's thoughts.

12. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

this belongs on another thread...so it would be nice if you could re-post there...(and my answer would be that you have already led the charge...that was unified enough)

13. chomsky

I'm with fasc on this one too. Just tell them what you just posted. You've had your grievance responded to.

14. scullystwin42

scullystwin42 Active Member

Ya, I made my decision right after I posted that. Sorry for the thread hijack!

15. debmc

debmc Well-Known Member

To GGin....

This can be a tough decision, trust your gut,and get feedback from others that you trust.

16. GGinrhinestones

Thanks deb. I'm still waiting it out, but things are looking more positive...will see how things go this weekend. I know what I want, but unfortunately...well, however you define "partnership", if you are working towards different goals (or one of you is working towards a goal while the other wanders off into the field to pick daisies), pro/am or otherwise, something is broken and it takes a commitment on both sides to fix it.

I have to keep reminding myself not to let the "first teacher" rush cloud my judgment - in either direction.

17. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

if you are being paid by someone, picking daisies should not be an option..I get that a first teacher is a first teacher...there is something special about that regardless of how it ends...I only wish that I had stepped up to end the daisy picking sooner rather than later..but we must all make our decisions in our own time...good luck however it goes

18. chomsky

Sooner rather than later...My case is just the opposite. My mentor has given me all he had and has always been happy to see me grow/overgrow him, ever since the very beginning; it's time he moved on in his life so it's time I moved on in my dance too, however reluctantly that may be. No matter how hard change is, most of the times it's for the better. We might not realize it at first, but with hindsight that's what it is: all for the better. Life would have been boring otherwise!

19. GGinrhinestones

My teacher and I had a good discussion today and worked through our daisy-picking issues, and in the end I'm very glad about that. Yes, all the typical first-teacher drama is (or has been) there, but so is the reality that he is the best teacher for me at this point in my dancing. We should be fine provided we can keep the communication channels open in both directions. It's amazing what a rational grown-up conversation can accomplish - and a bit of support and insight from DF!

20. pygmalion

pygmalion Well-Known Member

Glad to hear it! :-D