Your most difficult and easiest dances to learn...

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by SPratt74, Mar 29, 2006.

1. mamboqueen

mamboqueen Well-Known Member

are you stretching before you dance? if not, you might want to do that. we have several threads on it here.....

2. jnl526

jnl526 New Member

My hardest dance is international rumba. For me it's the constant keeping my posture, timing and feeling the dance instead of thinking it. I am also a perfectionist that I want to keep doing it perfectly but I always feel like I'm holding back. It's such a sensual dance.

3. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Hardest Dance from the answers so far is the Samba!;)
    Waltz-2
    Cha Cha-3
    Tango-3
    Samba-6
    ECS-1
    WCS-2
    American Rhumba-1
    Interntational Rhumba-2
    Foxtrot-2
    Mambo-1
    Lindy Hop-1
    Jive-1
    International Foxtrot-1

4. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

The easiest dance so far is the West Coast Swing!;)
    Cha Cha-2
    WCS-4
    ECS-2
    Foxtrot-1
    Tango-2
    International Foxtrot-1
    Viannese (spelling?) Waltz-1
    Hustle-2
    Jive-1
    Rhumba-3
    Sing-3
    Salsa-2
    Waltz-2
    Quickstep-2
    Polka-1
    International Cha Cha-1

5. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

There is a tie for the hardest step! The tie is between the Spin Turns and the Pivots!;)
    Spins-1
    Fleckerels-2
    Spin Turns-3
    Basic Samba-1
    Fan Alemana Cha Cha-1
    Rope Spin-1
    Bronze Foxtrot ZigZag-1
    Pivots-3
    Crusado Walks-1
    Natural Top-1
    Toe Heel Swivels-1
    Fishtail-1
    Posture-2

6. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

The easiest step so far is anything Linear lol!;)
    Anything Linear-2
    Syling in Cha Cha-1
    Basic Anything-1
    Mambo Basic-1
    Open Natural in Waltz-1
    Three Fallaways in Foxtrot-1
    Scatter Chassees in Quickstep-1
    Various Develpes-1
    Feather Step-1
    Dips-1
    Walking?-1
    Upper Body Movement-1
    Merengue Basic-1

P.S. I do not know if all of the spellings are correct, or if they are called the right step even lol. I just put down what you all told me in your replies!;)

7. SexyMan2Cha

SexyMan2Cha New Member

I only focus on intl latin and have a teacher, drill seargant, who pounds on the basics. That's fine, gives me a good foundation.

I started with rumba, then cha and then samba, jive is coming soon.

Right now I find Rumba by far the most difficult. I have problems staying on the beat and especially holding the 1 just long enough. Rumba requires extreme perfection. Fortunately, Samba comes really natural to me and is by far my best one, even though I have much less experience in it. With Samba I just get it. I love how it looks. Having said that, I'm pretty young, great shape and flexibel so that helps too.

My most difficult step is any step that requires a really good lead and connection, even things as simple as a fan.

My botafogos are killer!

8. deewoman

deewoman New Member

Most difficult--standard foxtrot. Standard waltz. (haven't started standard tango yet--maybe I'll add that one later!)
    Easiest--hustle. I barely remember learning this in lessons--it was pretty much just in parties and social dancing.
    Hardest step--whatever is in my silver bolero combination is tough. Also, advanced cross triple in cha-cha.
    Easiest steps--whatever the guys here lead in hustle.

9. DennisBeach

DennisBeach New Member

Samba was the hardest. Dances with movements I had never done before, like East Coast triple step, cha-cha-cha step. Getting my feet to move in ways I never moved them before has been my biggest challenge.

Easiest was single time swing, followed by others with movements I was familiar with like Waltz and Foxtrot.

Easiest step to learn was turns and leading turns.

Hardest is the smooth spin turns. We are still trying to get that right consistently.

10. RIdancer82

RIdancer82 New Member

So many of you are saying that samba is the hardest..... I don't get it! I don't find samba to any more difficult than any other dance. in fact, when it comes to technique, I find jive to be much harder. I know I have alot to work on with it, but from what I know, I find samba to be among the easier, technique wise and just to dance...... then again, maybe I'm just weird, lol

11. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

I know that with me I have a hard time trying to act like I'm this sexy dancer or whatever and that's reflecting on my dances like the Samba etc. I've always been very conservative, so this is like bringing out a different personality in me lol. But again though, it's only because I'm having a hard time trying to be sexy in dances like the Samba. Once I get over this side of me, then I know I will be fine! I just hope it's sooner rather than later! ;)

12. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

Easiest: The merengue. :p And in ballroom dances, I really don't remember. Probably the Rumba, it's really easy at first and then you get introduced to Rumba walks. :shock: Also had no issue with Tango.
    Hardest: Was and still is the samba. I always had crappy balance so the Waltz was hard to learn but I'm getting much better at it (the fact that it gets prettier the more you progress really does help). Oh, and Jive. Though I haven't been properly introduced to it.
    Hardest step: Fens and triple fens in Tango. Sweet pull in Rock n' Roll. Turn About in chacha. Um. And much more.
    Easiest step: There are no easy steps, dude. There are steps you think you know and then realise are a) actually very difficult and b) have lots of techinique and feeling that you lack.

Twilight Elena

13. dgcasey

dgcasey New Member

With me the easiest I would say were Waltz and Foxtrot. Not sure why, but I seem to get them fairly easily. The hardest to do properly is the Samba. I can't for the life of me do that dance without looking like a kid on a pogo stick. I keep telling people it's because I have too much white boy in me. ;)

14. dgcasey

dgcasey New Member

As for steps, easiest would be the Waltz box. I can count to three so it comes easy. The hardest step I have yet to conquer is anything to do with the Vienese Waltz. And it's not the steps that are hard. Hell, I can do them. It's stringing 5-10 together and then wanting to fall over because I'm dizzy. Hard from a technical standpoint I would have to say is one my teacher is trying to get me to learn for a show dance tonight. It's cha cha and it entails a step with the left foot across the front of my right, a swivel and step back into a back lock and then a stop on my left foot in face-to-face and pattycake position before going back the other way. I keep wanting to throw a triple step right in front of the back lock and I think my teacher is going to whop me upside the head real soon.

;)

15. alemana

alemana New Member

hardest: international samba, international jive, argentine tango, which i sucked at harder than i previously could have imagined possible.

16. SexyMan2Cha

SexyMan2Cha New Member

I just started jive and really don't like it. It's tough.. Btw, why is jive part of latin anyway?? Then again, there isn't much latin about intl latin ballroom dancing...

17. alemana

alemana New Member

because the universe hates me and wishes to torture me endlessly

18. alemana

alemana New Member

i feel THIS strongly about it and i don't even have to DANCE it anymore. can you FEEl the depth of that WOUND?!?!

19. LXC

LXC New Member

you crack me up every time. i vote you to be our resident comedian;)

20. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Lol! That's what I thought about the Waltz before I was taught what else you can do with the Waltz box lol! Now I'm wishing I hadn't of said that I wanted to learn the Waltz lol! Although, I'm determined I'm going to get this dance mastered! :D