Your most difficult and easiest dances to learn...

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by SPratt74, Mar 29, 2006.

1. SexyMan2Cha

SexyMan2Cha New Member

It's not you it's jive... I'm going to approach jive as a challenge. If monkeys can fly spaceships I can dance jive, love it or hate it, it's part of latin (why???)
  2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

love this....feel this way about swing...have only started two latin routines thusfar...am trying to psyche myself up about jive...its not working yet:rolleyes:
  3. fascination

i long for the days when I thought that waltz and foxtrot were easy...I live for the waltz and yet it drives me to despair daily....worse than a bad boyfriend
  4. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

I take it that you never met my x lol? :p

Lol! I give my x such a hard time. He was just a control freak was all, and that got really annoying. But he really did teach me a lot about myself though stuff that I never thought of before! So, he wasn't that bad!

But I want to learn the Foxtrot next! I'm learning a little bit now here and there, but oh what fun! And I can't wait for the Jive! ;)
  5. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

My instructor has a saying: "Waltz and foxtrot are the easiest dances to learn. But they are the hardest to master."
  6. fascination

well ima gonna die tryin....
  7. cornutt

You and me both! I have yet to do a really good silver fox. I keep saying I'm going to spend some time on it, and then I always wind up working on waltz instead. I've got to get past thinking of foxtrot as waltz's poor relation.
  8. fascination

funny I feel the same way except that my intl fox is probably better than my intl waltz
  9. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

Hardest dance would have to be either Samba or Mambo... Samba because I've always had issues with a few of the rhythm changes and just not getting. Mambo because I've never enjoyed the dance and that makes it hard to learn (which makes it less enjoyable... a bad cycle)

Easiest Dance would probably be American Foxtrot (as a beginner) or Waltz these days. As a beginner Waltz often tripped me up regarding not wanting to make a full weight change on the closes. Nowadays waltz is the easiest because of the near perfect speed... just enough time to think through things, but not so slow as to feel painful.
  10. newdancer113

newdancer113 New Member

As an older, out of shape reforming couch potato/nerd, I find anything fast and bouncy very difficult. The smooth, flowing dances are much better suited to me,and come much easier. Heck, my instructor had to spend a good bit of time teaching me how to do the proper hip motion in rumba...and I still can't do it without thinking about it a lot. Now add the speed and bounciness of samba....and I'm in overload (physically and mentally)
  11. Twilight_Elena

Twilight_Elena Well-Known Member

It will come to you. Keep it up. :D
  12. PureAbsurd

PureAbsurd New Member

There's lots of syncopation, twisting and hip action in jive.
    Once when danced jive at a swing/lindy club we got a comment that it looks closer to cha-cha than to ECS.
  13. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Lol! I'm not going to worry to much about the hip motion yet even though it is brought up a lot. I just don't feel comfortable with my hips moving that way. Plus I need to get the basic steps down first in order for me to feel good about moving my hips lol. Hey at least I'm trying lol! ;)
  14. PureAbsurd

PureAbsurd New Member

1. I can't stick to dancing Am. Rumba for more than several measures without switching to Int. Rumba. It's probably because I wasn't drilled with Am. Rumba technique, and all I know about it are just steps from several choreographic combinations... It's intertesting that I can "fake" bolero pretty well though :)

2. Hustle. . . . Some time ago for some rather long time I was sporadically taking different dance lessons. I was good at picking up the patterns, but the DANCING didn't really come to me. It was until a single hustle lesson, when it was like "AHA!" and suddenly dancing and partner connection started to make sense... I didn't have any hustle lessons ever since that and I rarely dance it, but I keep hearing good comments when I do.

3. Some of the basics. Rumba walks, cruzado walks, lindy swingout - one can learn new things about them forever.

4. will second the merengue basic
  15. cornutt

Actually, I think it has more to do with how jive originated. Jive got its start during WWII, when American serviceman were stationed in England. They brought over the lindy, shag, and othere proto-swing dances they knew and danced them with the local ladies. That combination, and the fact that it was being danced to English pop music, led to a fusion of cultures that produced jive. The dance became associated with Great Britian and found its way into the International syllabus that way.

My guess is that's because there is no International dance that resembles it, hence nothing to "unlearn".
  16. Mr. Dance

Mr. Dance New Member

Being a relative newb to dance.. I have found that the Waltz, WCS, & Foxtrot have come very natural to me. Ive been able to pick up on every pattern and move with a fairly quick learning curve. Im certainly not perfect at them but those dances in particular seem to really go well for me. I have a terrible time with Argentine Tango, I just cant get that down to save my life. Im alittle better at the American Tango but I dont know much of it yet.

I seem to do pretty well at the Rumba and Cha Cha as well. I dont know as many patterns or moves on those too but Im learning. Its somewhat difficult but its coming along.
  17. Twilight_Elena

At first it feels weird to use your hips. Then you just can't stop! :lol:

Twilight Elena
  18. Mr. Dance

Mr. Dance New Member

It must be weird for most guys to get the hip action going. I have issues trying to get it so it looks natural without looking like a retarded stringbean ;) . I work on it though, and try to always improve, but it's definately not something Im used too.
  19. Twilight_Elena

Those guys who don't have natural hip motion feel and look awkward at first. But it gets better. And guys with great hip motion look incredible.

Twilight Elena
  20. yanka

yanka New Member

I think the reason ppl find samba to be difficult is that there are so many aspects to the basic movement (and the fact that there are so many different "basic" movements in samba, each with its own technique and rhythm). While in other dances, you essentially do the same technique for each move (to a certain extent), in samba it doesn't really work that way. Also, samba differs significantly from other dances - maybe not as much as paso does, but it's still quite a difference.

For me, the rankings are probably:
    Hardest dance: Samba. It doesn't feel hard, but I also don't think I'm trying to do everything correctly. When I actually focus on getting the technique right, everything falls apart, whereas when I practice the basics of other dances, I can see/feel improvement. Paso Doble is up there too bc of its similarities to Standard, and I stink at Standard...

Easiest dance: very temporarily rumba bc I've been making a lot of progress there recently - sounds counter intuitive, but it feels much better with the improvements, which makes it easier to dance.

Hardest move: underarm turn (any dance).

Easiest move: I'll second the merenge basic. There really are no easy moves...