Your most difficult and easiest dances to learn...

Discussion in 'Ballroom Dance' started by SPratt74, Mar 29, 2006.

1. cornutt

cornutt Well-Known Member

I think part of the problem with samba is that, from what I've been told by my instructor, there are some pretty sharp differences between how different instructors and schools teach it. For instance, we've been talking about the bounce here, but apparently some instructors will tell you that samba should not bounce.

2. yanka

yanka New Member

I think the idea is that samba should bounce below the topline, but the upper body/head should not bounce. The bounce should be completely absorbed by the body. tough stuff.

3. redhead

redhead New Member

one of my teachers says that better instructors will teach samba differently depending on the students' current level, since in samba certain things must become automatic before moving onto the next thing. So one starts bouncing like a bunny, later adding ankles, than thighs... so in the very end it doesn't look much like bounce at all. Hope it makes sense

4. JohnLL

JohnLL New Member

That is how I teach samba. Depending on the level of the student it can be to much to try and learn this all at once. Usually its easier to have students get the bounce in there and then later have them start moving up through ankles, knees, and so on.
    Its nice when you can link dances together in terms of teaching. I can draw parallels between cha and rumba and mambo. Likewise with waltz and foxtrot for a beginner. Samba and tango are harder to teach because you can't relate them as well to another dance when your explaining them.

5. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

I know many people will relate Jive and Samba. There's a lot of similarities in how you use the legs -- both involve of a lot of stepping on a bent leg (but not in an American Rumba sort or way) and a lot of absorption throughout the body to show a quieter top than bottom.

6. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Isn't the Tango a bit like the Paso (umm... can't remember the rest lol)? Sorry, I'm still new, so I forget what things are called lol, but those two dances are very similar to me for some reason. The Tango also reminds me a bit of the Waltz. I don't know why for sure but it does.

7. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

:shock: tango like waltz....hmmm...

8. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Lol! Well, I didn't mean like the main steps or anything. But some of the other things remind me of the Walz a little bit lol. :p

9. cl5814

cl5814 New Member

Is it because both are smooth/standard dances ?

10. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Well, there are a couple moves that I can think of that are similar, but I'm not sure how to spell them just yet. I think the promanade (spelling?), and there are a couple other moves that I have seen used in both, but I'm not sure how to spell them yet lol. But yes both are smooth dances, but I couldn't tell you which ones were standard or not. I'm still learning the differences between like standard and Latin and International and everything else lol.

11. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

well ...lemme know what you think in a year dearie...I do love both but for vastly different reasons...incidentally both can be standard or smooth...maybe you already know this

12. SPratt74

SPratt74 New Member

Thanks I'll let you know! I know a few things, because I do take lessons from two instructors. But it's all kind of mind boggling right now. But knowing that I can now say what the some of the steps are (not all of them of course) that people are doing on television is a big step for me, and is telling me that I am learning the right things! Now I just have to concentrate on mastering what I have learned, and I'll be fine!

13. Laura

Laura New Member

1. What was your most difficult dance to learn?
    If you go by which dance I've spent the most time on (and gotten the most reward for spending the time), then it's the Foxtrot. There's just so much in a simple feather step, and the learning and understanding goes on and on forever.

If you go by what's going on for me right now, it's the Quickstep. So many steps, all so fast, and they all feel almost the same most of the time. Grrrrr.

2. What was your easiest dance to learn?
    When I was first learning, for some reason I picked up Quickstep right away! But the further I got past Bronze, the harder it got for me.

For right now, if you just count choreography, it's the Waltz. I tend to pick up waltz amalgamations quickly and retain them better than patterns from other dances.

If you just count technique, it's possibly the Tango.

3. What was your hardest step to learn?
    The Three Step in Foxtrot, and the Natural Spin Turn in Waltz. I'm still learning them. Oh sure, I could fake them pretty quickly, but the more you dance the more you'll understand what I mean about this! :)

4. What was your easiest step to learn?
    Most of the post-syllabus stuff I've picked up, except for anything involving Quickstep, the Throwaway Oversway, and the Big Top. Anything else I seem to get quite quickly.

14. arianiah

arianiah New Member

1.most difficult...american cha cha styling (can't bend that dang knee..too many years of international style cha cha)
    2.easiest..swing, jive, or samba..i can shake it.
    3.hardest step to learn would be heel turns in international standard..took a while
    4. easiest step to learn would be cha cha basic

15. Whirling Dervish

Whirling Dervish New Member

Most difficult:
    Fox Trot--my mind wanders
    Waltz--my mind wanders (unless it 's Viennese).

Easiest:
    Samba, Tango, Bolero--challenging and keeps me focused

16. fenixx

fenixx Member

I find it difficult to answer this question. When I started nothing was too easy or too hard... but then again that was bronze and silver. Paso doble was the most difficult because I guess I could sort of make it through everything else and with paso I felt like a complete idiot. I had my first shock when I started doing open choreography (even worse shock watching it later). There you really get a different perspective as to what is easy/hard to get. Samba killed me, jive was flat, cha cha was sluggish and high, and rumba was heavy (paso was still paso). Here I found it wasn't a particular dance that did it in for me but actions, ie could I spin well, could I create good lines, could I partner well, etc. These are the places where I find my weak spots now, not in a specific dance.

17. Nik

Nik Member

Tango and Rumba.

Tango cause keeping the frame is ery important, rumba because it involves more than just steps and its hard to learn how to do right.

At the same time, at a beginner level rumba would be the easiest because its so slow.

18. tanya_the_dancer

tanya_the_dancer Well-Known Member

I would say samba is the hardest dance for me. Tango is my easiest dance (and in general, I am much better at smooth than in rhythm). I never really thought about which step was the hardest or the easiest.

19. liangjz

liangjz New Member

(liangjz's partner here)

Depends on what you mean by "learn"! In standards, most newcomers initially have the hardest time in waltz, which typically ends up being one of the easiest dances. And an easy time in foxtrot, which is one of the hardest. *g*