Your Pet Peeves

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by AnnaN, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Nathan

Nathan Member

In my opinion, it's antisocial because it creates an environment that is tense and unwelcoming for all but the alphas in the room. Some women may feel that simply getting a higher number of dances equates to a better night. I don't know if that's being true to the spirit of tango. Well, I guess how you evaluate it depends on what kind of an atmosphere you prefer at your events!
  2. sixela

sixela Active Member

My pet peeve? Persons with too many pet peeves (and coming from me, that says a lot!)
    Madahlia likes this.
  3. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

Biggest pet peeve:
    Leaders who "correct" or instruct on the dance floor... whether it is during the dancing, in between songs of the tanda or off the dance floor, it annoys the c*** out of me.

And as stated somewhere up-thread, the best leaders never do this.. it's only the intermediate leaders. Plus they are rarely offering any feedback that would go beyond where to step for the move he is trying to lead. It's not like they are giving feedback that would apply more generally to improve my dancing as a whole with a variety of partners.

As an extension of that pet peeve:
    Followers who compensate for bad leads, even at practicas. Every time a leader has a follower compensate, he thinks he's done it correctly. Then when he dances with a follower who doesn't compensate for his mistakes, he figures she's the one who's messing up because the previous 3 followers (and everyone in his class) "followed" the move just fine.

No, dude, they didn't "follow" it... they figured out what you were doing and did it despite the fact that you didn't lead it.

Really, that's about it for pet peeves for me... any attitude of arrogance.
  4. Zoopsia59

OK... that's not really my only pet peeve. It's just the one that gets me the most riled up. The other pet peeves are tolerable unless my might is completely filled with them and nothing else.
  5. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

After my first time back on the floor in way too long...

Dancing does not, and should not, begin and end with your feet. You have your whole body to use to express music--use it! Please!

Embrace! It is one of the most important aspects of the dance experience. Please, please, please...for the love of Pete...make it good. Connect with me! Yes, I know I have boobs, and I know they get in the way...it annoys me, too...but when I'm giving you my energy and trying to connect and engage with you...engage back! Please!

There are more things to dance to than the beat. Or, at least, more things to inform your dancing than the beat. Light, staccato music should feel different (including through your body!) than lyrical, sweeping music. Please? I mean, congratulations on finding the beat and all, but there's more to dancing than stepping on the 1.
  6. Vince A

Vince A Active Member

Well said, Peaches . . .
  7. Zoopsia59

Leaders who are totally ruled by the beat are far less annoying to me than the ones who ignore it completely!
  8. Mladenac

Mladenac Active Member

I found some recently.

Don't expect me to drag you on the floor. I would like to lead you, not to carry you.
    Am I dancing with a doll, are you really trying to move, are you alive.
    Do you have a switch that you internally turn on and off while dancing, some continuous activity and feedback are welcomed.

What are you focused on? Where are you in your mind?
    Are we listening to the same song?
  9. Steve Pastor

Steve Pastor Moderator Staff Member

I keep wanting to start going to the practica I went to for years, and I never make it. And THIS is one of the reasons I stopped going in the first place. The lack of commitment to a partner, the "You are supposed to be on your own axis" mantra. And, hey, I DON'T have boobs.
  10. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Well, I dance on my own axis plenty, but I can still have a good embrace, and give plenty of energy. I prefer a very strong sort of connection (not the best term for it, but I can't think of something better at the moment), regardless of if I'm on- or off-axis...but so many guys just won't meet me with it. And it's kind of hard to connect strongly by myself, IYKWIM.
  11. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

Ok, Zoops, we two must not dance together, but somehow I cannot understand why you always praise rookie mistakes and incompetency as something worth to strive for!

If we should meet yet, I would dance to the beat for you, and would offer an comfortable embrace! :)
  12. Zoopsia59

Perhaps you misunderstand what I mean by completely ignoring the beat.

But even so... where did I say anything about striving to be ruled by the beat or praise such a thing?

I only said that doing so is LESS annoying than ignoring it.

What I meant by ignoring it was: being completely off the beat, and paying no attention whatsoever to being 'on the music'.

What other "rookie mistakes and incompetency" do I "always" praise or suggest others strive for?

Seriously.. your post is more baffling than offensive, although I could find it offensive if I tried.
    opendoor likes this.
  13. AndaBien

AndaBien Well-Known Member

I'm really not sure how being "ruled by the beat" is a problem. I would think that dancing to the rhythm would be a good thing. Is there a difference? Is that not like telling a musician they should not be ruled by intonation? Isn't dancing to the beat of the music a fundamental skill for dancers?
  14. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

@ Zoopsia: can´t find the !gulp! smilie: touché

@ Andabien: "ruled by the beat" by itself is no problem. I only find a population rather problematic which comes to life with d'Arienzo or Biagi and moves only in one direction on the dance floor with little steps. These leaders actually are dancing for a lot of years, but absolutely cannot cope with changes in tempo, ritardandi, or dropouts. Dancing to the melody would be beyond their skills.
    Mladenac and bordertangoman like this.
  15. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

[quote="opendoor, post: 972958, member: 22422
    I only find a population rather problematic which comes to life with d'Arienzo or Biagi and moves only in one direction on the dance floor with little steps. These leaders actually are dancing for a lot of years, but absolutely cannot cope with changes in tempo, ritardandi, or dropouts. Dancing to the melody would be beyond their skills.[/quote]

Biagi-itis??? i think Biagi appeals to the more anal tango dancers, but Belgica usually foxes them ;)
  16. Zoopsia59

I don't know what any other poster means with the phrase, but when I say it, I am referring to people who completely ignore the melody and feeling of the music. They dance beat and nothing else, making almost all golden age tango feel exactly the same, whether it's D'rienzo or Canaro. I even know a leader who dances every "quick" beat without tempo variation, which manages to make even tango and milonga feel exactly the same (and is exhausting and painful).
    opendoor likes this.
  17. Mladenac

Mladenac Active Member

Biagi-itis??? i think Biagi appeals to the more anal tango dancers, but Belgica usually foxes them ;)[/quote]

What's anal tango dancer?
  18. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

I have no idea what OD and BTM are talking about. Maybe someone could translate?

[​IMG]
  19. AndaBien

AndaBien Well-Known Member

Sorry, No.

I think that came from my earlier comment asking what was wrong with dancers adhering to the beat.
  20. Larinda McRaven

Larinda McRaven Site Moderator Staff Member

Shoddy half-assed unprepared work. If you can't do it right, just let me do it....