Your Pet Peeves

Discussion in 'Tango Argentino' started by AnnaN, Sep 26, 2012.

1. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

anal is the developmental phase that follows that initial un consciouse state. In the anal phase your sphere of influence is restricted to the length of your arms.
  2. dchester

dchester Moderator Staff Member

You're just messing with me, aren't you?

o_O
  3. opendoor

opendoor Well-Known Member

I didnĀ“t make up this term, only let my thoughts and imagination wander..
  4. bordertangoman

bordertangoman Well-Known Member

"The term anal-retentive(also anally retentive), commonly abbreviated to anal,is used conversationally to describe a person who pays such attention to detail that the obsession becomes an annoyance to others. The term derives from
    Freudian psychoanalysis"

5. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Exactly, Zoo. (Why am I not surprised that we agree...again. ;))

Anda, here's one of my favorite videos for explaining what I mean by dancing to something other than the beat:

Yes, I know, I freely admit that I have a soft spot for Daniel and Luis. And I know their dancing isn't to everyone's taste. Ignore that for the moment, and focus on exactly what it is in the music that they're dancing to. There are times (from about 0:8 through 0:11, for example, although it happens at other points as well) when they are just stepping on the beat. But there are LOTS of other times when there's a lot more steps being taken than beats going on; they're dancing to other things in the music. (See 0:20 through 0:22.) They aren't "off beat", the way Zoo meant it earlier when she referred to people who don't seem able to find the beat with a map and a compass and who just step when-bloody-ever the hell they feel like it. But neither are they just dancing to the beat of the music. Similarly, if you watch what movements they're doing, you can see that the quality of their dancing changes according to the qualities of the music.

Yes, I agree with you that dancing to the beat is a fundamental skill, and that dancing to the rhythm is a good thing. I'm pretty sure I alluded to that in my initial post. My point, is that there is just so much more than just the beat to dance to...but many people never do.
    Mladenac likes this.
  6. bordertangoman

it gets worse; I cant actually read the text in peaches' Post; the letters have gone scrawly and broken up..this software sucks..
  7. AndaBien

AndaBien Well-Known Member

I can read the post fine. I just can't see the top of the page. I have to use the navigation at the bottom of the page.

I've never heard of XenForo, the software, but they're from your island.
  8. Mladenac

Mladenac Active Member

At the bottom right you have a link to the top.
    It would be good that they have floating panel along the page that you can always return to the top on demand. :D
  9. Zoopsia59

Zoopsia59 Well-Known Member

I don't know what any of you are seeing... it works fine for me. I can see the post and I can easily scroll using the side bars or the scrolling knob on my mouse.

I wonder if browsers make a difference? I'm on Firefox.
  10. UKDancer

UKDancer Well-Known Member

Me too: I use Chrome.
  11. AndaBien

I use Firefox, but I tried it in Chrome. You may not realize that something is missing, or it may not be missing. Try increasing your font size and see what happens. When I did that in Chrome the upper bread-crumb navigation just disappeared.
  12. Nina22

Nina22 Member

Huge pet peeve; a leader that insists of staring you directly in your face. Ahem....which eventually will force me to turn my head to the side which can compromise my balance.

Another thing' I'm 5'11 -> 6'2 with heels and 8 out of 10 times I dance with shorter guys which is absolutely fine BUT please leaders; you have to adjust your embrace. Don't pull the tall follower DOWN with your embrace. It happens often unfortunately which either makes me break my balance or bend my legs (both results look and feel rather bad).

I still consider myself as a newbie so maybe I'm to blame as well ;)
  13. bordertangoman

I think it should be 50/50 on head turning..

hmm that's new one, as long as I can see where I'm going ie over your shoulder, I wouldnt have a problem. If you were taller than that. I would dance sideways in the line of dance. i do constantly say to tall ladies NOT to come down to my level ;)
  14. Zoopsia59

If he's staring directly at your face, he's not looking where he's going... so that would be a problem even if you weren't having to adjust in a way that makes you uncomfortable.

Of course, an astounding number of leaders don't look where they're going, so....
  15. AndaBien

I see guys do this sometimes, but I can't figure out how they can do it and think about creating a dance at the same time. I would be too distracted to think about music, movement, navigation. But, I guess it's better than looking at your partners feet.
  16. newbie

newbie Active Member

In tango pictures or wallpapers the guy usually stares directly in the follower's face.
  17. bordertangoman

The trick is to look with soft focus or the old "snake eyes"* so you are using your peripheral vision. My cycling years were very helpful for this.
    I don't look at the woman when I'm dancing with her in close embrace (or slighlty open come to that. I would need to put my specs on.)

*Little Big Man
  18. Zoopsia59

People in tango pictures aren't going anywhere.
    Milonga Newbie likes this.
  19. Zoopsia59

My guess is that most leaders are having enough trouble with navigating, leading, and dancing all at the same time, without having to learn how to see differently too.

I also think that making a habit of looking where they're going instead of at the follower would help with the habit of looking at the follower's FEET in order to figure out where she is... which in turn would require them to connect to her body, lead from their body, and learn how to put the follower where they want her that way, trusting her to go there and be there.

YMMV
  20. bordertangoman

its just about relaxing the focus..

i seriously think that a lot of guys should learn to lead with their eyes shut, with a chaperone, in a practica; its a lovely exercise to do,

I would dance with my eyes shut too, if it wasn't for all the clumsy fools in the room ;)
    Working on the patented Radar Suit...