Zorse or Hebra?

Discussion in 'Dancers Anonymous' started by Pacion, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Pacion

Pacion New Member

:? I wonder whether how much of this new creation was 'accidental' or deliberate on the part of scientists...

2. samina

samina Well-Known Member

looks like the little guy was genetically photo-shopped
  3. tj

tj New Member

I remember watching a tv show talking about the liger:

[​IMG]
  4. elisedance

elisedance New Member

It looks more like a 'chimera' than a cross. A chimera is when you take two cells from different strains and make one animal - the results is a mixture of each depending on the parental origin of the stem cell that contributed to that region. In a cross each cell is 50% from the male or from female, in a chimera each cell is either from the male of the female.
  5. quixotedlm

quixotedlm New Member

so a clone is just a special case of a chimera?
  6. noobster

noobster New Member

Not really. Chimaeras are a mix of cells from two different organisms, with different genetic makeups. (All women who have ever been pregnant are chimaeras as they have fetal cells floating around, even decades after the pregnancy.)

Clones are created by taking the nucleus from a body cell and using it to replace the regular nucleus from an egg cell. Both of the original cells can be from the same animal, and all of the cells in the body of the clone have the genetic makeup of the original nuclear donor cell.
  7. Laura

Laura New Member

8. reb

reb Active Member

I remember seeing that - wow
  9. elisedance

elisedance New Member

link didn't work for me Laura. And I DID want to know everything!
  10. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

Ditto.

What a cute little critter. I wonder how big it will get. It definitely seems to have more zebra-ish features than horse...excepting the stripey bits, of course.

I want one.
  11. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

IIRC, these sorts of critters don't have long life-expectancies.
  12. Peaches

Peaches Well-Known Member

I wonder if the same would hold true for this one, though. It's not as if horses and zebras ar that far apart, biologically.
  13. elisedance

elisedance New Member

Hmmm. trhink of the marketing possibilities 'my little zork'. Only trouble is you might get sued by Battlestar Galactica for alien infringement
  14. Joe

Joe Well-Known Member

Or Infocom...
  15. NielsenE

NielsenE Active Member

you've been eaten by a grue
  16. elisedance

elisedance New Member

OK. Im lost - anyone see where the Zorse went - before the hungry grue turned up?
  17. tj

tj New Member

No, for it is pitch black, and you are likely to be eaten by a grue.
  18. What is a Grue? And does anyone else want to run and grab spray paint when you look at that zorse?
  19. RIdancer82

RIdancer82 New Member

I don't know what a grue is, but it looks like the artist never finished his painting on the zorse.
  20. Have you seen the painting of the Dalmatian at my house?