Zumba Shoes Question: Please help!

Discussion in 'General Dance Discussion' started by AnnaN, Aug 20, 2010.

1. AnnaN

AnnaN Member

Hi all,
    I am so happy to find this forum! I recently started going to Zumba, and I love it, but I need to find good shoes.

I got asics, but I had a terrible problem: while I was exercising, the temperature inside of my shoe must have gotten up to 100F. I had to return those shoes.

Now I got Ryka, and I have the same problem. I still do not know how comfortable this pair is for me since I've worn them once, but the same problem appeared: as I was dancing, the temperature inside of my shoes increased tremendously, and I was very uncomfortable.

I have an old pair of sneakers, which are not good for Zumba classes because they do not support my feet well, but when I dance Zumba with them, I do not have this problem at all. When I wore the Asics and the Ryka as well as the old sneakers, I wear all of them with socks. If the socks were the problem, then it's strange because (1) i can't imagine not wearing socks with sneakers and (2) I did not have the problem of the temperature rising with the old sneakers.

I am really hoping that someone here would give me a clue about what to do, because I feel discouraged that I won't have a way to resolve this problem.

Thanks!
  2. fascination

fascination Site Moderator Staff Member

hi anna...I teach zumba.. the other instructor at our place and I both wear capezio jazz sneakers...I don't notice any of the difficulties you mention...I purchasr mine from discount dance supply dot com
  3. Me

Me New Member

You can buy Zumba shoes... I have a pair... and to those I say, meh. They're okay. They're just basically cute shoes. They provide no support. I think they stick to the floor a bit much, to be honest.

I agree with fascination that jazz sneakers are the way to go. You'll run into some Zumba instructors who claim jazz sneakers are terrible and provide no support... to them I say, stop stomping the floor so danged hard and you won't need running shoes for Zumba classes. (Hee hee, sorry if that was cheeky...) The jazz sneakers provide a nice flexibility for the feet, and you can also turn on the floor without your feet sticking and straining your ankles or knees.

I use Bloch jazz sneakers, but brand really doesn't matter. Just find what works for you!

I also like discount dance supply.
  4. samina

samina Well-Known Member

my bloch dance sneaks work for me...

i can't wait to use my new lunarglide nike running shoes, tho... they are sleek, flat-soled, and have the cushiest innersoles i've ever had in a shoe. i suspect they will be good for both zumba and step.
  5. wonderwoman

wonderwoman Active Member

I've always wore trainers. I've seen some adventurous women do it in heels, but depending on the instructor you can't without breaking an ankle. I've done it barefoot when I didn't have trainers.

ETA: the dance studio floor gave my big toes blisters on those occasions!
  6. Me

Me New Member

WOW! Heels? I'm trying to envision a destroza in heels... Holy cow. Were they wearing ballroom shoes, or just street heels?

I haven't had heels... yet. Though, last week in my university class I had to talk to a student wearing these super shiney silver sandals (?) and another wearing those shape-up sneakers (????)
  7. jennyisdancing

jennyisdancing Active Member

I've done Zumba in low-heeled dance shoes, like the 1.5 inch practice heel type of thing. Can't imagine it in high-heeled shoes.

Usually, though, for Zumba, I wear a pair of regular sneakers that happen to have a smoother sole than most, so I can pivot well. They're just a cheap pair that I picked up at Wal-Mart. The more expensive sneaks tend to be too grippy, and I'm not comfortable in split-sole dance sneakers.
  8. BDubWhat

BDubWhat New Member

I wear Nike Musique shoes for dancing and Zumba. They are super comfortable, and they have nice pivot points on the soles. While they may not be the most adorable shoes in the world, they provide stability without feeling heavy. I have had trouble with stress fractures on the top of my feet in the past, but I haven't had any problems since I started dancing in these shoes two years ago.