10 Commandments for Leaders

So there was a thread about the 10 commandments by Bobbie Irvine which seemed to be about the follower's roll in ballroom dancing. What might the 10 Commandments for Leaders look like?

I say we get together the best ones and make an Infographic for Facebook! What do you say? Let's try to limit the actual rule to about 10-12 words, but then can still elaborate in the post.

Last edited:
2. Continued lessons in leading from a qualified teacher are needed for you to even begin to entertain the idea. Otherwise, you need to do a set routine so the lady has some hope of doing this great feat sometimes referred to as "following".

or the short version...

So called "leading" requires lessons.

Mengu

To guide and suggest, not to enforce or restrict
To listen to and interpret the music
To navigate the floor
To present, not to show off
To provide a breathing frame
To provide power, but not overrun
To be clear
To be inspiring

I realize some of these bleed into the follower's commandments, but it's a two way street.

To treat the lady as a lady ought to be treated, needs to be in there somewhere, but I can't find the right words for it.

Thinking about it more, a set of X commandments that encompass both roles might be a better place to start, and then sprinkle a few extras for each role. After all both partners are responsible, for movement, inspiring each other, interpreting music, etc.

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
I think we should also do this for male pro am teachers...oh the fun of it...ahem...back on topic; leads in general

have some respect for the fact that only one of us knows what you are doing...
don't be insulted if we guessed wrong
keep your arms connected to your center

fascination

Site Moderator
Staff member
There is NO GUESSING when following... only reacting.
you are mistaken//imo...reacting requires me to interprete/guess what you are doing...I may or may not react properly depending upon what I am guessing you are trying to do...and how well I do that depends upon how good your lead is...if it is good I will have a better chance of simply reacting well...if it is poor I may react appropriately to what you led but you may not even realize it because you may have sent me a message that had nothing to do with what you intended...which is why, lots of the time, I have to guess

Last edited:

Dance Ads